Denver Nuggets @ Los Angeles Lakers Tuesday 1/17/17 7:30pm PST

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#201 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 6,351 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted January 17, 2017 - 10:55 PM

Yeah I know. I pointed this out before but I believe the controversy of the 2015 draft was too much for some fans to be patient with Russell even calling him a bust from summer league.

Unlike the 2015 draft,the 2016 was religiously a lock between Ingram and Simmons so there weren't any opportunity cost. Never heard fans say lakers should've picked this instead of Ingram. This contributes a lot to the hate Russell gets(although some of the hate is warranted).

I've heard comments about Russell's game from people and even though I disagree with those points, the concerns were legit and fair to ask. Some posters here have nothing valid to argue against Russell and thus you see lots of reaching.

No one should judge youngsters from stats and box score unless you're new to basketball or clueless but to me Russell's potential is nice. I've advocated moving him to the 2, and I believe that's the position he'll end up playing eventually but overall he has the tools to be an all-star on this team along with Ingram.
Anyway, I'm happy with how the lakers drafted and content with Russell and Ingram moving forward.

I can only speak for myself but I believe a lot of it is the position they are playing. The PG position is so stacked in the league right now. When you are picked high at that spot you don't get to take a night off. That night off you choose can be you getting smoked for 40 plus. Athletically speaking they are vastly different as well. Russell is athletically challenged and has natural limitations. Ingram is only limited in his weight. Lastly, the players picked ahead of them created animosity as well. Everyone knows that Towns was the real prize in Russell's draft class (to this point at least). Ingram was a legitimate #2 pick. Picking Russell #2 was much more of a gamble in the eyes of many. If you factor all of this and the fiasco last year you have a player (Russell) who is a lightening rod for criticism and so far a constant reminder of what we could have had if only one pick higher. Simmons hasn't suited up yet which takes the pressure of Ingram. 

•     likes this

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#202 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 10:56 PM

I can only speak for myself but I believe a lot of it is the position they are playing. The PG position is so stacked in the league right now. When you are picked high at that spot you don't get to take a night off. That night off you choose can be you getting smoked for 40 plus. Athletically speaking they are vastly different as well. Russell is athletically challenged and has natural limitations. Ingram is only limited in his weight. Lastly, the players picked ahead of them created animosity as well. Everyone knows that Towns was the real prize in Russell's draft class (to this point at least). Ingram was a legitimate #2 pick. Picking Russell #2 was much more of a gamble in the eyes of many. If you factor all of this and the fiasco last year you have a player (Russell) who is a lightening rod for criticism and so far a constant reminder of what we could have had if only one pick higher. Simmons hasn't suited up yet which takes the pressure of Ingram.

This is true.

#203 Olabebeh

Olabebeh

Rookie

• 1,201 posts
  • Name:Rafael
  • Fan Since:92
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant / Magic Johnson

Posted January 17, 2017 - 10:58 PM

Yeah I know. I pointed this out before but I believe the controversy of the 2015 draft was too much for some fans to be patient with Russell even calling him a bust from summer league.

Unlike the 2015 draft,the 2016 was religiously a lock between Ingram and Simmons so there weren't any opportunity cost. Never heard fans say lakers should've picked this instead of Ingram. This contributes a lot to the hate Russell gets(although some of the hate is warranted).

I've heard comments about Russell's game from people and even though I disagree with those points, the concerns were legit and fair to ask. Some posters here have nothing valid to argue against Russell and thus you see lots of reaching.

No one should judge youngsters from stats and box score unless you're new to basketball or clueless but to me Russell's potential is nice. I've advocated moving him to the 2, and I believe that's the position he'll end up playing eventually but overall he has the tools to be an all-star on this team along with Ingram.
Anyway, I'm happy with how the lakers drafted and content with Russell and Ingram moving forward.

Ventiquattro i agree with you, i think Russel's potential is huge but he needs to be mentally stronger, sometimes it seems he just don't care if we loose or win, i don't know maybe it's just me who see him like this, anyhow, i see you allways talk about all the youngsters potential and never about Zubac, i'm curious about your opinion. It is just me who thinks he will be great?

Edited by Olabebeh, January 17, 2017 - 10:59 PM.

#204 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,698 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 17, 2017 - 11:02 PM

Oh no no, you can't just take it away. "I hope you learned something today", remember? Or the "stupid" posts of other members here. Arrogance is not a shirt that you can wear one day and take it of the day after, it belongs to you. You, my arrogant friend, have nothing to learn, because you know it all 👍 Now, I think Ingrams effort is not there always, that's easy to see, but he's showing a lot more maturity than Russell in his game. In terms of shooting, they both have been awful, but BI is not trying to take over when he has been shooting bricks all night.

You haven't answered my other questions from the other night, when did u start watching basetkabll and how old are you ?

That's an easy one, I don't like to talk about myself with people who likes to be disrespectful with others. Come on, it's pretty basic.

#205 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 11:17 PM

Ventiquattro i agree with you, i think Russel's potential is huge but he needs to be mentally stronger, sometimes it seems he just don't care if we loose or win, i don't know maybe it's just me who see him like this, anyhow, i see you allways talk about all the youngsters potential and never about Zubac, i'm curious about your opinion.

zubac blew me off in summer league but when he played those limited minutes in the beginning of the season you just know he needs TONS of conditioning and still does.

Things I already know from summer league: blocking ability, post moves, jumpers.

What I was surprised by tonight is his soft touch and hard screens.
Needs more playing time though to get the experience and know where to be on both ends to get familiar with general schemes in league defensively and offensively. Lots of Marc gasol in him.

Future is bright for him, it's just he hasn't been playing so it's easy to talk about others more.

#206 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 11:19 PM

That's an easy one, I don't like to talk about myself with people who likes to be disrespectful with others. Come on, it's pretty basic.

Aww. Maybe we should hang out one day over a taco or something. I promise u I'm a good boy :)

#207 Olabebeh

Olabebeh

Rookie

• 1,201 posts
  • Name:Rafael
  • Fan Since:92
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant / Magic Johnson

Posted January 17, 2017 - 11:21 PM

zubac blew me off in summer league but when he played those limited minutes in the beginning of the season you just know he needs TONS of conditioning and still does.

Things I already know from summer league: blocking ability, post moves, jumpers.

What I was surprised by tonight is his soft touch and hard screens.
Needs more playing time though to get the experience and know where to be on both ends to get familiar with general schemes in league defensively and offensively. Lots of Marc gasol in him.

Future is bright for him, it's just he hasn't been playing so it's easy to talk about others more.

Fair enough, i agree with you, i also think he needs more conditioning and sometimes he seems abit lost on the court but as you said he can get better with more minutes.

#208 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,698 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 11:21 PM

Simmons hasn't suited up yet which takes the pressure of Ingram. 

Agreed, and rookies under Ingram haven't been very good, that helps too. Porzingis and Booker already looking like future stars doesn't help D'lo at all. That's all true. But those things doesn't change the fact that Russell's lacks athleticism and his concentration and mental strenght are very poor. I think Ingrams body and physical attributes, dedication on D and maturity are making some of us believe a little more on him as a prospect.

#209 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,698 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 11:30 PM

Aww. Maybe we should hang out one day over a taco or something. I promise u I'm a good boy :)

Hahaha that would be very hard, I'm from Argentina. I thought my lousy english gave me away a long time ago. Not too much basketball in my country, but my town is a different story. Bahía Blanca, our cradle of basketball. Been watching it my hole life.
  •     likes this

#210 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,698 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 11:33 PM

Whole life. See, lousy 😎

#211 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,556 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 02:28 AM

Daddy

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#212 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,789 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 18, 2017 - 11:43 AM

Sorry Lakeshow1o1, I'm not giving him an out on that, "If" you're the point guard you can direct your teammates and you can move, if you're not too stiff from that ice water in you're veins, lol I just think he's playing out of position. With a pass first point, this team would win these games we've given away. And you can say wait he'll develop, well do it in a he D League like Zu did btw Zu is looking very very nice. Not hatin on Dlo just think he's not the point right now, drive draw the double team pass get the assist, that's what I'm talking about. I still wear my threadbare old Laker gear from the early days, and I catch razz from POM folks who are now "Cipper fans" lol, I point out the obvious they say that's a long time ago, I said you've not gotten out of the 2nd round yet ha. Just the truth. Now I have Screaming A Smith on boring nonsense. So I'll play a Laker Championship years DVD to start the day out correctly. Peace

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, January 18, 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#213 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,789 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 18, 2017 - 11:48 AM

Sup Chico folks who were born here don't often get their English correct so never mind that you're a Laker fan Ole'
  • ChichoGarcy likes this

#214 Magic Chiongson

Magic Chiongson

Rookie

• 222 posts
  • Fan Since:I was a Laker fan before a Kobe fan
  • Fav. Laker:Buck, Diesel,Big Game James

Posted January 18, 2017 - 12:23 PM

lol at russell and randle moping on the bench they should be benched since the 7:33 mark in the 3Q. props to zubac , BI and black for their efforts and making it a game.

#215 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,534 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 19, 2017 - 05:26 AM

Went.

This game was tough to watch till the 4th.

The way D'lo and Randle were acting and playing, i almost thought they were kept out because a trade was in the works.

I still like both guys but halfhearted efforts so often kill team chemistry...of which we have very little to begin with.

Are we tanking or aren't we? Tough to know but i think we may be.

Though my vote is not to

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users