The Bottom Line

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 6,351 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted January 20, 2017 - 06:57 PM

The front office can't make a winner overnight.  You have to reconfigure as you go.  See what needs to stick and move what doesn't.  We agree that no player on this team is untouchable right? 

However you have to make moves that make sense.  At some point the young guys will get better.  That can't be rushed.  KD and Russ spent 2-3 season LOSING.  What if they just said eff it...gotta trade these guys because they spent 2 seasons under 30 wins? 

Kobe was a huge obstacle for this franchise ON THE COURT the last 2 years.  Last year development was wasted primarily b/c of him and Byron.  You can't overlook real factors like that. 

I agree with everything but the OKC comparison. Those guys were BONAFIDE in those first couple years. You knew already that they would eventually be special players. They had obvious star qualities. Hell, Durant came in averaging 20 PPG. If one of our youngins was on that level nobody would want to trade that even if we only won 10 games lol. The jury is still out on our core. I think it's unfair to compare this bunch to OKC despite some similarities. 

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#62 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,361 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 07:05 PM

Durant had been better than from all of our young players combined from Day 1. Westbrook always had the fire. Only his game (jumper) developed as it went on. Harden same. They didn't magically become a playoff team. With players like Lebron, Durant you know they eventually get to that point. We don't have such player.

It is pathetic when Thunder and Warriors become a bailout argument for every unknown this team faces.

Edited by Tensai, January 20, 2017 - 07:14 PM.

fXlFKv8.gif

#63 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,262 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 20, 2017 - 07:22 PM

Durant had been better than from all of our young players combined from Day 1. Westbrook always had the fire. Only his game (jumper) developed as it went on. Harden same. They didn't magically become a playoff team. With players like Lebron, Durant you know they eventually get to that point. We don't have such player.

It is pathetic when Thunder and Warriors become a bailout argument for every unknown this team faces.

The success of Durant, Harden, and Westbrook is unparalleled and will likely never be replicated again.  You're never going to find 3 players drafted within a span of 4-5 years by one team all becoming Superstars.  

However, the Warriors are a different story.  No one knew Steph would develop into the greatest shooter of all time, no one expected Klay to become a solid two-way player with one of the best strokes in basketball, and no one certainly thought Draymond would become the overall talent he is today.  All of those guys took 3,4,5 years to develop.

Steph was't a All-Star until his 5th year, Klay his 4th year, Draymond his 4th year.  

If you feel like none of our players are potential stars, what do you suggest we do with them?  Who would we trade them for that would give us a reasonable return?

• kball likes this

#64 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,361 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 08:47 PM

Steph didn't become an Allstar on his own - in fact he was snubbed. Only after Warriors became a winning team that Steph was recognized.

Ellis was consistently averaging 20+ ppg for 5 straight years. They had Steph coming in and averaging 20+ with the same efficiency he has now. Only after Jerry West came in, the fate of that franchise changed. West pulled one move after another. Traded Ellis for Bogut and addressed defense. The real Warriors story began with Jerry West at that point. Then drafting Klay, Green and signing Iguodala made all things possible.

Again, 2 pretty good borderline allstar players did not make Warriors who they are. It is trading one of them for something they needed, and the consecutive moves that made Warriors who they are. We can't just sit on our asses and wait for these young players to suddenly figure out. That never works out. Either they have it (like Lebron, Durant, Jordan etc.) or they don't. Simple. And it is clear so far they don't have it. Otherwise we wouldn't be sitting at the 3rd worst record in the league after just being there two previous seasons.

• lakersince75 likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#65 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,889 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 20, 2017 - 08:49 PM

You sound bitter af

#66 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,571 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 11:31 AM

Steph didn't become an Allstar on his own - in fact he was snubbed. Only after Warriors became a winning team that Steph was recognized.

Ellis was consistently averaging 20+ ppg for 5 straight years. They had Steph coming in and averaging 20+ with the same efficiency he has now. Only after Jerry West came in, the fate of that franchise changed. West pulled one move after another. Traded Ellis for Bogut and addressed defense. The real Warriors story began with Jerry West at that point. Then drafting Klay, Green and signing Iguodala made all things possible.

Again, 2 pretty good borderline allstar players did not make Warriors who they are. It is trading one of them for something they needed, and the consecutive moves that made Warriors who they are. We can't just sit on our asses and wait for these young players to suddenly figure out. That never works out. Either they have it (like Lebron, Durant, Jordan etc.) or they don't. Simple. And it is clear so far they don't have it. Otherwise we wouldn't be sitting at the 3rd worst record in the league after just being there two previous seasons.

Well you just brought golden state as an example of trading one of their pieces.

To me, lakers aren't in a rush to trade Russell, nor should they(or randle,Ingram for that matter). Let's see what transpires over the next couple of seasons. We'll get a better picture about the young guys.

I like the Russell and Ingram combination and I believe it's gonna work out for both of them.

#67 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,889 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 21, 2017 - 11:52 PM

Furthermore Clarkson and Randle are good counterparts to those two.

As the more athletic, physically imposing players out the group. As they learn and grow, they will continue to play in this system they can compliment each other.

Then you have Zubac and Nance.

I honestly believe that by 2018, this could be the best team in the division.

Not a perfect team but certainly an effective 1.

History suggests all the young players will improve. To what degree is the question.

Russell as a 17/5 guy with efficiency
Randle as a 15/10 guy with a better understanding of the game. Decent jumper.
Clarkson improving his facilitating and jumper.
Ingram as a 20/6/3/1/1 guy
Nance as a notable role player
Zubac as a defensive presence.

I honestly believe those are the floors for those guys.

#68 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,762 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 22, 2017 - 05:44 AM

Hoping Clarkson starts ballin like a mofo w D'lo out a while.

Someone is getting those minutes.

I think we are maybe 7-8 games away from Zu picking up heavier minutes the rest of the way, unless we win like 6-7 of those.

But if we go say 3-7 or 2-8 next 10, Zu and Ingram should be getting 32 plus minutes every night to see what we have

Edited by kball, January 22, 2017 - 05:45 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#69 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,168 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted January 22, 2017 - 06:47 AM

So let me get this right. Using your eyes, you see

Russell

Ingram

Clarkson

Randle

Moz

sniffing the finals in 2019??

By Harden and Westbrooks second year you knew they were going

By the end of Klay and Currys 2nd year, you knew

With most SUPERstars you have an idea after the second year. MOST

Edited by lakersince75, January 22, 2017 - 07:43 AM.

#70 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,829 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 22, 2017 - 08:43 AM

Glad we agree a change is needed, and is coming. We aren't competing with the mentioned teams but the whole league! It's a comparison but misleads as stats aren't the whole story. The glaring omission Defense! We aren't playing it very well this is where it starts. If you limit the other teams opportunities you will increase yours, and vice versa. Hold Defense accountable and then decide who stays. Kibecsaidvit guys don't know how to dribble with both hands or know the basics. I blame a lot on Byron as the year got worst not better and instilled acceptance of losing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users