753 replies to this topic

#541 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,938 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 06, 2017 - 12:22 AM

Sophomore, coming out of a successful program. Has length, smooth jumper, can handle the ball, has high IQ. Has no apparent weakness. Perfect compliment to D'Angelo in backcourt. Why not go with this kid? I can see him being successful in NBA.

I dont know much about this kid, but he seems like a good gamble if we can get him in the 2nd round. Wouldn't draft him with the Houston pick though.

#542 Rawmuzik

Rawmuzik

Rookie

• 22 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:1984
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted March 06, 2017 - 01:24 PM

Ryan West has been on point

#543 Rawmuzik

Rawmuzik

Rookie

• 22 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:1984
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted March 06, 2017 - 01:27 PM

Dillon Brooks might be on there Radar

#544 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,938 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 10:46 PM

Harry Giles have fallen to 25th on Draftexpress. If he's there with the Houston pick, i think he's the guy to take. Much like Skal Labissiere in 2016 this guy has a super high ceiling and a low floor.

#545 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,087 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 07, 2017 - 01:11 AM

Harry Giles have fallen to 25th on Draftexpress. If he's there with the Houston pick, i think he's the guy to take. Much like Skal Labissiere in 2016 this guy has a super high ceiling and a low floor.

We must be watching different players... Giles isn't going to translate well and will be your run of the mill 4 that will likely struggle to find minutes in the NBA.

His game is very limited offensively (has nothing beyond 10 feet), his defense is subpar, and he can't hit free throws.

To top it all off, he's had a history of knee issues and has already partially tore his ACL... 

Caleb Swanigan (if we go big)

Dillon Brooks (if we're looking for a guard)

Edited by LakeShow1o1, March 07, 2017 - 01:20 AM.

#546 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,938 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 06:17 AM

We must be watching different players... Giles isn't going to translate well and will be your run of the mill 4 that will likely struggle to find minutes in the NBA.

His game is very limited offensively (has nothing beyond 10 feet), his defense is subpar, and he can't hit free throws.

To top it all off, he's had a history of knee issues and has already partially tore his ACL... 

Caleb Swanigan (if we go big)

Dillon Brooks (if we're looking for a guard)

I think those guys are somewhat interesting options and between those two i’d lean towards Dillon Brooks. Picking a PF like Swanigan doesn’t make too much sense with Randle and Nance (and Deng) on the team and he cant defend at all.

Harry Giles was projected to go in the top 5 – or even #1 – heading into the season. His stock has taken a dive of course which basically takes him out of the lottery, but the physical profile and raw talent is there, which is why i think he is worth a gamble late in the 1st round.

#547 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,459 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 07, 2017 - 08:11 AM

Harry Giles was projected to go in the top 5 – or even #1 – heading into the season. His stock has taken a dive of course which basically takes him out of the lottery, but the physical profile and raw talent is there, which is why i think he is worth a gamble late in the 1st round.

Agreed, if we keep the pick (we dont trade it) and Giles is there, I would gamble on him, he was a considered a top 5 prospect until the injuries.... his knees however are a concern.

#548 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,323 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted March 07, 2017 - 08:46 AM

Giles would be worth the gamble late.  His injury history is super concerning but healthy that dude was supposed to be a monster. 

• LACAS likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#549 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 11,444 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 09:21 AM

Sophomore, coming out of a successful program. Has length, smooth jumper, can handle the ball, has high IQ. Has no apparent weakness. Perfect compliment to D'Angelo in backcourt. Why not go with this kid? I can see him being successful in NBA.

He lacks any semblance of polished guard skills.  

He has trouble displaying advanced ball handling skills, perimeter footwork, change of direction and shot creation off the dribble.  He's a catch and shoot player on offense.  His guard skills are basically Randle level in the body of Nick Young.

Unless he shows a LOT of improvement in the next 3 months, he's going undrafted.

Edited by GCMD, March 07, 2017 - 09:23 AM.

7511301026_4a46afba50.jpg

Trust in Mitch

#550 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,796 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted March 07, 2017 - 11:03 AM

I think those guys are somewhat interesting options and between those two i’d lean towards Dillon Brooks. Picking a PF like Swanigan doesn’t make too much sense with Randle and Nance (and Deng) on the team and he cant defend at all.

Swanigan actually has a jumpshot
  • LakeShow1o1 likes this

#551 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 53,112 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 07, 2017 - 12:14 PM

Isaiah Thomas: : "When I looked down, I thought he would get it out quicker so we could go and then I looked away, looked back and Marquese Chriss was right there, he got a hand on it. I couldn't get full control of it."

0tfyZnk.gif

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#552 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,087 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 07, 2017 - 12:16 PM

That's exactly why I would take him.  He's the only big within that range with a dependable jumper.  His weight is a slight concern but I'm sure with the proper nutrition, he has the chance to be pretty solid.

Giles makes no sense with Randle and Nance in the rotation already.

#553 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,109 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted March 07, 2017 - 12:54 PM

Wouldn't mind Giles with the Houston pick.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#554 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 07, 2017 - 03:41 PM

Get Grayson Allen and Dray on the same team, watch your jewels

#555 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,938 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 10:39 PM

Sure, but he doesn't defend.

That's exactly why I would take him.  He's the only big within that range with a dependable jumper.  His weight is a slight concern but I'm sure with the proper nutrition, he has the chance to be pretty solid.

Giles makes no sense with Randle and Nance in the rotation already.

This is a good example of how we clearly have different drafting philosophies.

Towards the top you always go with BPA before addressing needs. Later in the draft you either fill specific needs or gamble on guys with upside.

Swanigan really doesn't have much upside and doesn't really fill a positional need with Randle, Nance and Deng at the 4.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, March 07, 2017 - 11:06 PM.

#556 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,796 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted March 08, 2017 - 06:26 AM

Sure, but he doesn't defend.

This is a good example of how we clearly have different drafting philosophies.

Towards the top you always go with BPA before addressing needs. Later in the draft you either fill specific needs or gamble on guys with upside.

Swanigan really doesn't have much upside and doesn't really fill a positional need with Randle, Nance and Deng at the 4.

His jumpshot separates him from Randle and Nance. Why doesn't he have much upside? He has a chance to be a quality stretch 4 coming off the bench. This is something we really need.

Giles has potential but he's either gonna be a steal or out the league in a couple of years. We don't need to fish for stars with every draft pick. That is what our top 3 pick is for! We need to give Russell and Ingram a roster that makes sense. We have a direction now, unlike past years. You go BPA with the top 3 and fit with the others.

#557 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,938 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 07:39 AM

His jumpshot separates him from Randle and Nance. Why doesn't he have much upside? He has a chance to be a quality stretch 4 coming off the bench. This is something we really need.

Giles has potential but he's either gonna be a steal or out the league in a couple of years. We don't need to fish for stars with every draft pick. That is what our top 3 pick is for! We need to give Russell and Ingram a roster that makes sense. We have a direction now, unlike past years. You go BPA with the top 3 and fit with the others.

I might be wrong with regards to Swanigan, who very well could be a fine stretch-4. I have major concerns with his ability to defend though and i think if we go by fit there are better options since the PF position is our deepest position.

Giles has potential and could either be a steal or a bust, that's true. But if he reach his potential, he's going to have a major impact on the future on the Lakers, whereas Swanigan's ceiling is... Troy Murphy? You can find that guy in free agency (Illyasova, Patrick Patterson, Ingles etc.)

#558 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,323 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted March 08, 2017 - 07:47 AM

Free agency requires bigger contracts.  Late 1st round salary is like 1.1M.  You aren't getting those guys for less than 7-8M this offseason

I might be wrong with regards to Swanigan, who very well could be a fine stretch-4. I have major concerns with his ability to defend though and i think if we go by fit there are better options since the PF position is our deepest position.

Giles has potential and could either be a steal or a bust, that's true. But if he reach his potential, he's going to have a major impact on the future on the Lakers, whereas Swanigan's ceiling is... Troy Murphy? You can find that guy in free agency (Illyasova, Patrick Patterson, Ingles etc.)

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#559 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,153 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted March 08, 2017 - 08:29 AM

Free agency requires bigger contracts.  Late 1st round salary is like 1.1M.  You aren't getting those guys for less than 7-8M this offseason

this is true. the average joe will make 7-8 million while players like Crowder, Ezili and others will make double that. it is the new market

#560 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,938 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 11:20 AM

What im saying is that it is better to gamble on someone like Giles whose upside might make a real difference, rather than to settle for someone that most likely wont.

And if we are drafting based on need i think the PF spot is the least of our worries. Randle, Nance and Deng all are capable PFs. Ingram also has seen minutes at the 4 and Brewer could probably play the 4 in certain small ball lineups. In other words, the PF position is pretty much covered. Even if we trade Randle, we are covered.

My pick - if we drafting based on need - would perhaps be someone like Josh Hart. 3s/D SG/SF who can do a little bit of everything.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, March 08, 2017 - 11:21 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users

Bing (1), DaSmoothOperator