Posted Image

#22 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,352 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 10, 2017 - 11:47 AM

With the way the new CBA is set up dudes aren't leaving their teams.  Why should Boogie leave 80M on the table when he can take it and get a trade later. 

• kball likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#23 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,244 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 10, 2017 - 01:25 PM

and yet, folk bring it up anyway. it is entertaining to me.

#24 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,965 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 10, 2017 - 04:48 PM

So what
Discussion is just that
  • LACAS likes this

#25 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,975 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 10, 2017 - 11:13 PM

With the way the new CBA is set up dudes aren't leaving their teams.  Why should Boogie leave 80M on the table when he can take it and get a trade later. 

You are half-right. Guys aren't leaving teams for nothing anymore because the team will know a year before if they want to stay or not. In Boogie's case he either signs the 200M extension now in 2017 OR he lets the Kings know he isn't going to stay - as well as gives them a list of destinations where he would stay long term - and then he is moved to one of those teams. Once the deal has happened, he will then sign the extension with the new team.

Not sure how it works for PG13 though, because he has an opt out in 2018, so they may not be able to offer him the extension before he actually leaves.

You'd only get a 2nd tier star for #1-3 clarkson, and nance

Maybe a disgruntled 1st tier guy like cousins

But with the new cba teams aren't forking over their stars

Most of the guys that could be on the move are disgruntled and some teams are in trouble finansially or are in a spot where starting over is in the cards. For those reasons you coud see guys like Boogie, John Wall, CJ McCollum, Jimmy Butler etc. be available.

If we get the top 3, i think we may be better off keeping it.

#26 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 2,944 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted January 11, 2017 - 12:42 AM

You are half-right. Guys aren't leaving teams for nothing anymore because the team will know a year before if they want to stay or not. In Boogie's case he either signs the 200M extension now in 2017 OR he lets the Kings know he isn't going to stay - as well as gives them a list of destinations where he would stay long term - and then he is moved to one of those teams. Once the deal has happened, he will then sign the extension with the new team.

Not sure how it works for PG13 though, because he has an opt out in 2018, so they may not be able to offer him the extension before he actually leaves.

Most of the guys that could be on the move are disgruntled and some teams are in trouble finansially or are in a spot where starting over is in the cards. For those reasons you coud see guys like Boogie, John Wall, CJ McCollum, Jimmy Butler etc. be available.

If we get the top 3, i think we may be better off keeping it.

Now your making things up. Which one of those teams are in trouble financially and where are you coming up with those players being available.

#27 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,975 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 01:18 AM

Now your making things up. Which one of those teams are in trouble financially and where are you coming up with those players being available.

Well, Boogie has been in trade talks all year, and Jimmy Butler were rumored to be available just this last week. Wall has been in trade rumors as well back in december and given the mess that these three teams are in i dont think it’s outrageous to think that they could be had if they could get a guy like Ball or Fultz. McCollum also has been in trade rumors because of the financial situation in Portland – they’re on the books for 130M with a likely extension coming to Plumlee in the 15-20M range, which puts them in a very tough spot – something that isn’t going away anytime soon.

#28 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 2,944 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted January 11, 2017 - 05:57 AM

Well, Boogie has been in trade talks all year, and Jimmy Butler were rumored to be available just this last week. Wall has been in trade rumors as well back in december and given the mess that these three teams are in i dont think it’s outrageous to think that they could be had if they could get a guy like Ball or Fultz. McCollum also has been in trade rumors because of the financial situation in Portland – they’re on the books for 130M with a likely extension coming to Plumlee in the 15-20M range, which puts them in a very tough spot – something that isn’t going away anytime soon.

Again you are making things up. Wall and McCollum have not been in any trade rumors. Please post a link or what site you heard that from because that's breaking news. Also which teams are in trouble financially like you said earlier.
If those players were available how can we acquire them and guarentee there able to get Ball or Fultz. We have no pick right now.

#29 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,542 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974

Posted January 11, 2017 - 06:43 AM

We are doomed ;)

#30 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 53,167 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 11, 2017 - 09:41 AM

You'd only get a 2nd tier star for #1-3 clarkson, and nance

Maybe a disgruntled 1st tier guy like cousins

But with the new cba teams aren't forking over their stars

If the Number 1(Wiggins) and Bennett got Kevin Love.   

What would the Number 1(Fultz) and Clarkson get? 

I'm asking cause Fultz seems to be starting to get a reputation as potentially transcendent. 

Edited by Majesty, January 11, 2017 - 09:41 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#31 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,882 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:17 AM

If the Number 1(Wiggins) and Bennett got Kevin Love.   
What would the Number 1(Fultz) and Clarkson get? 
I'm asking cause Fultz seems to be starting to get a reputation as potentially transcendent.

Every year there is supposedly some transcendent player. From what I've seen so far, I wouldn't even take him over Russell, and I'm sure everyone remembers how I felt about Russell. I keep hearing how this draft is so great but how many guys in this draft would even get drafted before Ingram, Simmons, Towns, Okafor, or Russell?

It's still early but I just don't see it to be honest. This has been, imo, the most boring college basketball season in the last 3-4 years so far!

#32 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 53,167 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:38 AM

Every year there is supposedly some transcendent player. From what I've seen so far, I wouldn't even take him over Russell, and I'm sure everyone remembers how I felt about Russell. I keep hearing how this draft is so great but how many guys in this draft would even get drafted before Ingram, Simmons, Towns, Okafor, or Russell?

It's still early but I just don't see it to be honest. This has been, imo, the most boring college basketball season in the last 3-4 years so far!

Fultz and Russell are two different players. Though Fultz is obviously the more explosive/athletic of the two, as his 1.3 blocks a game for a point guard would say. 

However you also got the feeling Russell could play combo at 1 or off ball in situations.  I think Fultz is a point guard through and through and playing him off ball would be a mistake. 

His 1.3 blocks a game and 1.7 steals a game in college essentially are where the defensive upside stems from, 1.3 blocks a game from a point guard is very impressive. As is his 22/6/6 per game average on 50% from the field and 43% from three shooting.  

The downside is that it hasn't lead Washington to many victories and there are stretches where he disappears in games offensively or seems too passive.  Then again people were saying the same stuff about Simmons last year and that didn't stop him from the transcendent moniker.  

If it was him and Russell in this current draft there'd be an argument between the both of them as to which was the better guard.  That may be the case in the NBA as well in the next 7-8 years.    But Lonzo seems to get placed under Fultz on most mocks despite his effort in getting UCLA to where they are currently.   So it does annoy me how 'does he help his team win games and where is he in big moments' was so prevalent against Simmons last year but non existent for Fultz this year while Ball whom has lead UCLA to an amazing record has those same scouts arguing whether he's top 3 or not.  

Mind boggling tbh.  But the old saying "New Year, New Story" seems very fitting.   

That said, Fultz is a remarkable talent for his position and has tremendous 2-way potential, so him going 1 unless Harry Giles finishes the season strong looking healthy seems to be a forgone conclusion. 

Edited by Majesty, January 11, 2017 - 10:41 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#33 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,332 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 11, 2017 - 02:32 PM

In all likelihood we will lose our pick and Boston will get the 1st pick or close to it. Trying not to think about the draft this year to be honest. Too early to start a 2018 draft thread? Lol

#34 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,332 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 11, 2017 - 02:36 PM

Never too early as we just lost to the present eight seed, it's a process. The loss actually helps in the pick dept. but it is a long way off and the trade deadline isn't here yet. If you are an optimist and we get the last seed our pick is 37. I'd like to see better defense esp in the third quarter. Free throws were poor, not enough assists list is long.

#35 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,129 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 12:03 AM

If we do keep the pick, we need to do a smart rehaul of the roster. The NBA is becoming a mixture of in-prime stars and developing youth. There is nothing in between. Not even a trade material for our young players. Because of the inflated salaries, it is harder to make a deal.

I think it is obvious this team needs a point guard. And I mean, POINT GUARD in its very sense that it is used today. I'm not sure what would be Russell's fate after that, but we do need one. Ingram and Zubac are unique and valuable for the things they do on the court. They both play on both ends. So I would keep both. Same with Nance Jr. A low maintenance backup PF that plays above the rim and can hit from 15-18ft range. That is already 4 players if you consider the rookie. That leaves out Randle, Russell and Clarkson. We can't develop all of them at once, nor pay all of them. At least two of them needs to be traded for a serviceable player or star.

PG - Lonzo Ball or Markelle Fultz (1st year)

SG - ?

SF - Brandon Ingram (2nd year)

PF - ? / Nance Jr. (3rd year)

C - Ivica Zubac (2nd year)

(Russell + Randle for Jimmy Butler would be an interesting deal. Not sure if Bulls OK it.)

Edited by Tensai, January 20, 2017 - 12:12 AM.

fXlFKv8.gif

#36 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,882 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted January 20, 2017 - 03:29 AM

If we do keep the pick, we need to do a smart rehaul of the roster. The NBA is becoming a mixture of in-prime stars and developing youth. There is nothing in between. Not even a trade material for our young players. Because of the inflated salaries, it is harder to make a deal.

I think it is obvious this team needs a point guard. And I mean, POINT GUARD in its very sense that it is used today. I'm not sure what would be Russell's fate after that, but we do need one. Ingram and Zubac are unique and valuable for the things they do on the court. They both play on both ends. So I would keep both. Same with Nance Jr. A low maintenance backup PF that plays above the rim and can hit from 15-18ft range. That is already 4 players if you consider the rookie. That leaves out Randle, Russell and Clarkson. We can't develop all of them at once, nor pay all of them. At least two of them needs to be traded for a serviceable player or star.

PG - Lonzo Ball or Markelle Fultz (1st year)
SG - ?
SF - Brandon Ingram (2nd year)
PF - ? / Nance Jr. (3rd year)
C - Ivica Zubac (2nd year)

(Russell + Randle for Jimmy Butler would be an interesting deal. Not sure if Bulls OK it.)

I think that you have completely lost your mind

#37 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,975 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 04:07 AM

Yeah there is no way we trade Russell and/or Randle unless we're getting back a legit star, but that wouldn't make much sense either since the rest of our team would be even younger.

Keeping the pick would be fantastic. Fultz, Ball and Jackson all has superstar potential and they'd all fit perfectly on our current roster.

Fultz-DLo: I'm thinking those two could develop into a bigger, longer, stronger and better version of Lillard-CJ. 

DLo-Ball-Ingram-Randle: We'd lead the league in assists.

DLo-Ingram-Jackson-Randle: Josh Jackson is a taller and better passing version of Winslow with more upside defensively. A perfect fit with the guys we have right now. 

#38 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 5,902 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 07:54 AM

I agree with Tensai, Russell and Randle are busts..

#39 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,352 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 20, 2017 - 07:57 AM

Guys gotta stop envisioning these young players as superstars.  That's how you get yourself caught up being mad about their early years performance.  Fultz looks great right now but he might come in and look like Mudiay for a year or 2.  You never know. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#40 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,244 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted January 20, 2017 - 09:52 AM

Guys gotta stop envisioning these young players as superstars.  That's how you get yourself caught up being mad about their early years performance.  Fultz looks great right now but he might come in and look like Mudiay for a year or 2.  You never know. 

I agree with this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users