• Please log in to reply
1988 replies to this topic

#1701 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 11,660 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 18, 2017 - 10:52 PM

Positions are up in the air at this point and Russell would most definitely be a primary ball handler at times if we drafted Ball, especially in the half court. This is one of the reasons why Ball is such a good fit because both can switch between the 1 and 2.

I must admit that i haven't seen Tatum or Fox on a regular basis, which is why i may be too hard on them.

But compared to Josh Jackson, i just think both falls way short because of Jacksons defensive ability, creativity offensively and overall competitiveness. He will be able to defend at a high level in the nba from day one and he will be able to contribute offensively, so there is a very low risk of him being a bust. If we need leadership, then [expletive]ing go with Josh Jackson, then flip Russell, Randle, Clarkson for PG13 and throw some money at Jrue Holiday and go with Jrue and 3 switchy do-it-all wings in Ingram/PG13/Jackson.

With Fox, i'm not predicting him to become Rondo, Rubio or Payton. I'm saying that PGs that cant shoot 3s really struggle in the modern nba. I will admit, that his FT% does give a bit of hope of him being able to learn to shoot, though.

One of the knocks on Jackson is he can fade to the background at times...and he passes up a LOT of outside shots because his mechanics are WILDLY inconsistent.  His defensive intensity is there more often than not...and he's rumored to not have the best attitude off the court.

Tatum was injured the first part of the season, along with Giles...neither reached their potential this year and I suspect neither got up to 100% during the season...that said, Tatum was still an elite SF/PF prospect with his skills and potential as both a SF and stretch 4.

Fox has elite speed and athleticism...he's not nearly as polished as a floor general as Ball or even Fultz but he has just as high ceiling long term.  He won't be the same type of PG but he could be just as deadly with a little bit of development on the little things that most guards need to work on coming in the NBA.  It really depends on which team, system and coach gets him first.

Again, to me, it doesn't matter.  I think we'd be ok with any of them.

tenor.gif

#1702 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,414 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 18, 2017 - 11:01 PM

May see them trade the pick, the inner workings of the draft

#1703 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,349 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted May 19, 2017 - 12:55 AM

Hill/ball
George
Ingram
Randle
Zubac

ap1.png

#1704 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• LN Staff
  • 11,122 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted May 19, 2017 - 01:20 AM

If the Lakers select Zo and Nick doesn't opt out, do you guys think this 10 man rotation is good?

Starters:
Zo - PG
D'Lo - SG
Brandon Ingram - SF
Julius Randle - PF
Zu - C

Bench:
Nick Young - SF/SG
Jordan Clarkson - SG
Luol Deng - PF
Larry Nance - C
Tyler Ennis - PG

• bfc1125roy likes this

#1705 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,301 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted May 19, 2017 - 01:31 AM

If the Lakers select Zo and Nick doesn't opt out, do you guys think this 10 man rotation is good?

Starters:
Zo - PG
D'Lo - SG
Brandon Ingram - SF
Julius Randle - PF
Zu - C

Bench:
Nick Young - SF/SG
Jordan Clarkson - SG
Luol Deng - PF
Larry Nance - C
Tyler Ennis - PG

Now i'm hoping they pick him and then trade for Zaza.

Just so we'd have Zo, Zu and Zaza

• UKUGA likes this

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#1706 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,414 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 06:31 AM

Z is where you're at? Funny to read , Uma Oprah

#1707 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,078 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 19, 2017 - 07:10 AM

If we need leadership, then [expletive]ing go with Josh Jackson, then flip Russell, Randle, Clarkson for PG13 and throw some money at Jrue Holiday and go with Jrue and 3 switchy do-it-all wings in Ingram/PG13/Jackson

Ingram/ Russell +Clarkson and Randle/ Jackson

Paul George is not top 15 at this point.

Russell and Randle have up 30 plus points. 10 plus boards and 7 dimes.

And OF isn't always efficient

#1708 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,078 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 19, 2017 - 07:11 AM

Hill/ball
George
Ingram
Randle
Zubac

Not an 8th seed

#1709 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,414 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 08:52 AM

If we need leadership, then [expletive]ing go with Josh Jackson, then flip Russell, Randle, Clarkson for PG13 and throw some money at Jrue Holiday and go with Jrue and 3 switchy do-it-all wings in Ingram/PG13/Jackson

Ingram/ Russell +Clarkson and Randle/ Jackson
Ill say it again ya never never trade for a rental empty cupboards like Knick 4 Melo dumb, wait build then when he comes he stays

Paul George is not top 15 at this point.

Russell and Randle have up 30 plus points. 10 plus boards and 7 dimes.

And OF isn't always efficient

#1710 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,024 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 19, 2017 - 08:56 AM

https://www.si.com/n...?xid=nl_siextra

If the Lakers think Ball is the second-best player in the draft, or a future franchise cornerstone, or the point guard to bring them to the next level, they should take him. But I don't think he fits any of those criteria.

If anything, the noise surrounding Lonzo's dad has helped distract people from valid questions about the UCLA star's game. As a prospect he's got a high floor—bigger Ricky Rubio—but there are reasons to be skeptical about his ceiling. We never really saw him score in the halfcourt at UCLA. It's not clear that he can create his own shot against NBA athletes. While he's incredible in transition, pushing the pace will be tougher in the NBA than it was against, say, Utah in the Pac-12. 

His shooting numbers are good, but they begin to look a little more questionable upon closer investigation. His work in the pick-and-roll is underwhelming. Defensively he's long enough to potentially hold his own, but he doesn't have the athleticism to ever excel on that end. 

The Lakers should take De'Aaron Fox. He is worlds better on defense. His jumper remains a work in progress, but his speed will allow him to drive defenses crazy in the meantime. He plays incredibly hard, and with his athleticism, it feels like he's only scratching the surface of what he'll be in five years. 

I won’t lean too heavily on the two UCLA-Kentucky games this year with respect to Ball, but if nothing else they said a lot about what Fox can do. He got the better of Lonzo in the first matchup, and he flat out roasted him in the second. 

Fox also fits with the other pieces L.A. already has in place. He's not a pure scorer, but the plan is to get that scoring from D'Angelo Russell, Brandon Ingram, and/or a max free agent that comes later. In the meantime, while Russell has shown real promise as an off-ball scorer, defense is still very much an issue—and Fox can help mitigate the damage. 

Playing Lonzo and D'Angelo in the backcourt would do the opposite. They're both a step slow, and neither player seems particularly invested in locking anyone down. It'd be like a Hollywood answer to the most depressing Blazers games from this past season. 

• Tensai likes this

The ignore feature is a healthy alternative to feeding trolls. 

#1711 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 302 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 19, 2017 - 08:57 AM

Now i'm hoping they pick him and then trade for Zaza.

Just so we'd have Zo, Zu and Zaza

This guy is from Ghana for this comment.

#1712 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,057 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 19, 2017 - 10:05 AM

https://www.si.com/n...?xid=nl_siextra

If the Lakers think Ball is the second-best player in the draft, or a future franchise cornerstone, or the point guard to bring them to the next level, they should take him. But I don't think he fits any of those criteria.

If anything, the noise surrounding Lonzo's dad has helped distract people from valid questions about the UCLA star's game. As a prospect he's got a high floor—bigger Ricky Rubio—but there are reasons to be skeptical about his ceiling. We never really saw him score in the halfcourt at UCLA. It's not clear that he can create his own shot against NBA athletes. While he's incredible in transition, pushing the pace will be tougher in the NBA than it was against, say, Utah in the Pac-12. 
His shooting numbers are good, but they begin to look a little more questionable upon closer investigation. His work in the pick-and-roll is underwhelming. Defensively he's long enough to potentially hold his own, but he doesn't have the athleticism to ever excel on that end. 

The Lakers should take De'Aaron Fox. He is worlds better on defense. His jumper remains a work in progress, but his speed will allow him to drive defenses crazy in the meantime. He plays incredibly hard, and with his athleticism, it feels like he's only scratching the surface of what he'll be in five years. 

I won’t lean too heavily on the two UCLA-Kentucky games this year with respect to Ball, but if nothing else they said a lot about what Fox can do. He got the better of Lonzo in the first matchup, and he flat out roasted him in the second. 

Fox also fits with the other pieces L.A. already has in place. He's not a pure scorer, but the plan is to get that scoring from D'Angelo Russell, Brandon Ingram, and/or a max free agent that comes later. In the meantime, while Russell has shown real promise as an off-ball scorer, defense is still very much an issue—and Fox can help mitigate the damage. Playing Lonzo and D'Angelo in the backcourt would do the opposite. They're both a step slow, and neither player seems particularly invested in locking anyone down. It'd be like a Hollywood answer to the most depressing Blazers games from this past season. 

Many people have pointed out the same things stated in this article. They've been ignored so far. People have their minds made up already. Personally, I'd take Ball over Fox but all of the points made about Ball were valid.

#1713 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,723 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974

Posted May 19, 2017 - 10:16 AM

Many people have pointed out the same things stated in this article. They've been ignored so far. People have their minds made up already. Personally, I'd take Ball over Fox but all of the points made about Ball were valid.

Honestly I have Fultz at # 1 but Im torn at #2 Ball/Fox... I like both for obviously different reasons.

#1714 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,446 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 19, 2017 - 10:17 AM

I like Ball and always have but I think people don't understand what type of player he is.  He's not a LEAD guard.  He's going to get assist like Draymond does.  There is a difference in how Draymond/Griffin rack up assist vs John Wall and Russell Westbrook.  He's going to be a secondary creator in halfcourt and can be a PG in early offense and transition. 

You want to pair that type of guy with a scoring lead guard.  Russell fits this mold.  The worry is defense. 

• Jackson and LACAS like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#1715 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,024 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 19, 2017 - 10:24 AM

Honestly I have Fultz at # 1 but Im torn at #2 Ball/Fox... I like both for obviously different reasons.

Very different players. 

• LACAS likes this

The ignore feature is a healthy alternative to feeding trolls. 

#1716 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,723 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974

Posted May 19, 2017 - 10:27 AM

Very different players. 

Very much so...

#1717 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 11,660 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 11:11 AM

I don't know why there is so much dissension and discussion of Ball vs Fox.  IMHO, it doesn't matter which we take...we will have our PG of the future.  Either will allow Russell to slide to the 2.

Mission Accomplished.

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

tenor.gif

#1718 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 11,660 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 11:17 AM

It's always amazing to me when people talk about Ball's weaknesses and then suggest Fox is the answer, they ignore Fox's weaknesses.

I know people hate LaVar but that shouldn't color how you see Lonzo...Ball is the BEST PG in this draft, period.  If you want a scorer, pick Malik Monk...don't pick Fox expecting him to be better than Ball latter because Ball is already better and can BECOME better, just like Fox can BECOME better.

Edited by GCMD, May 19, 2017 - 11:20 AM.

tenor.gif

#1719 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,040 posts

Posted May 19, 2017 - 11:18 AM

Which raises the question, what are we hoping for out of Ball? Are his transition game and 3pt the decisive factors?

The former wouldnt matter as much when you make runs with Ingram, Russell , Ball/Fox, even Randle handle the ball in transition..

I stated my preference for Fox and even Jackson. I wouldnt mind Ball as well.. I just feel the first two are going to be better LT.

Right or wrong, its irrelevant. Lakers gonna do what they're gonna do whether they keep or trade the pick..

#1720 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,057 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 19, 2017 - 11:31 AM

It's always amazing to me when people talk about Ball's weaknesses and then suggest Fox is the answer, they ignore Fox's weaknesses.

https://www.youtube....h?v=CS11HzYsSPs

I know people hate LaVar but that shouldn't color how you see Lonzo...Ball is the BEST PG in this draft, period. If you want a scorer, pick Malik Monk...don't pick Fox expecting him to be better than Ball latter because Ball is already better and can BECOME better, just like Fox can BECOME better.

what is Fultz?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 1 anonymous users