#1 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,094 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 03, 2017 - 12:52 AM

With the trade deadline around the corner, who do you guys feel is the most expandable Laker?  Taking into consideration the player's current contract, perceived market value, and value towards the team, who seems to be a more likely trade chip?

There are guys on hefty contracts that may be difficult to move such as Mozgov and Deng, while others are on bargain deals such as Lou Williams, Nick Young, and Jordan Clarkson.  It'll certainly be a difficult decision for Mitch to decide whether it is in the best interest of the team to hold onto key veterans such as Lou Will and Nick Young whom have had a large impact, but also take note of their trade value in order to find potential pieces that are better suited moving forward.  

My pick: Jordan Clarkson

His play overall just hasn't warranted a starting role nor has he been able to consistently outplay second string guards off the bench.  He still has some untapped potential, but his decision making and other qualities that I had seen in previous seasons have seemed to disappear.  While he isn't necessarily bad at any given side of the floor, he has seemed to be just average at best.  

#2 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,488 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 03, 2017 - 02:20 AM

Not sure WHO the most expendable Laker is. But generally guys that likely aren’t here a couple of seasons from now or whose age doesn’t fit our core guys are expendable. Plus the bad contracts, of course.

Keepers:

Randle (21), Ingram (19) and Russell (20) are the core guys moving forward and given their age, potential, production and contracts i think Zubac (19) and Nance (24) should be included in that group. I wouldn’t want to move those guys unless there’s something really good coming back.

Expendable:

Mozgov and Deng are both overpaid and old, so they’re clearly expendable (and untradeable).

Swaggy P has had a very good year, but since he’s likely heading into free agency he could be quite expensive to keep.

Calderon is getting old, isn’t very good anymore and since he’s an expiring deal he’s also expendable.

Thomas Robinson has played himself into a contract. Given how little he’s made so far in his career i could see him trying to cash in as much as he can. As with Swaggy, i dont think the Lakers should be the ones paying him.

Maybe-expendable.

Lou has been playing out of his mind and is on a bargain deal. This could both make him a clear-cut keeper OR a valuable trade asset. Given that he’s 10 years older than the core guys, i might lean towards cashing in on him now.

Black. Same story as Lou. Effective, on the books next season. Nice rotation big. Nice trade chip.

Clarkson. Fits the age of the young core and is on a fair deal. Since he’s likely going to be playing a back-up role, i dont think he’s untouchable.

Huertas. Ok player. Cheap.

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,298 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 03, 2017 - 09:38 AM

Clarkson

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#4 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,159 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 03, 2017 - 09:53 AM

I would say JC could net us a nice piece, I would love to see us make a run at Noel.

#5 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 937 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted January 03, 2017 - 11:31 AM

Everybody is expandable except for Ingram and maybe Russell

#6 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,037 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted January 03, 2017 - 11:58 AM

Everybody is expandable except for Ingram and maybe Russell

what makes Russell more expendable than Ingram?

#7 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,985 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 12:22 PM

Of the young core I'd say Clarkson.

Anyone is expendable for the right price though. It's just we most likely won't get fair value for our young guys to the point that it'd make sense to trade.

#8 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,556 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 12:31 PM

I don't think the lakers should make any move before the summer.

#9 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,059 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 03, 2017 - 12:33 PM

Same here, I just don't see anything worth doing.  Nothing out there is a gamechanger for this current squad but any move could potentially upset the chemistry these guys are building.  We may not see the fruits of some of this until after All star break. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#10 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,094 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted January 03, 2017 - 12:38 PM

I'm 50/50.  Clarkson is my most expandable piece but I feel like Lou and Nick hold the most value.  Lou is on a great deal so it may be more wise to keep him, while Nick is playing the best basketball of his career on a contract year so I hope the Lakers have enough money to pay him next year.

While I believe booth Lou Williams and Nick Young have played a pivotal role in this teams success (albeit not that successful) and are placing up some career numbers, I feel like it MIGHT POSSIBLY be a good time to try and cash in.  However, I don't see any reasonable deals at the moment so it may be best to keep the core together and simply play out the remainder of the season.

The Lakers need to follow the rebuilding process similar to that of the Utah Jazz.  Despite the ups, downs, and subpar seasons, they have managed to stick and develop their young core.  They don't have any true Star, the closest being Hayward and Gobert, but they play team basketball.  I think that's what Luke is attempting to instill so let's hope the outcome and results are similar.

#11 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,922 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 03, 2017 - 01:47 PM

Same here, I just don't see anything worth doing.  Nothing out there is a gamechanger for this current squad but any move could potentially upset the chemistry these guys are building.  We may not see the fruits of some of this until after All star break. 

What? Is everyone on this board but me in contact with other GM's around the league?

No Untouchables

• fido and Tensai like this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#12 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,677 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 03, 2017 - 02:16 PM

No doubt a no Brainer so some of you should like it Metta is the most expendable by far. Appreciate his past efforts but this is 2017, move over.

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, January 03, 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#13 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,556 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 02:20 PM

😂😂

#14 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,037 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 03:09 PM

We would have to get a pretty lopsided trade for it to make any difference. So we most likely won't see a trade happen.

#15 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,203 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 05:45 PM

I'd still do clarkson for Noel

I think Noel gives a new dynamic off the bench. And Calderon replacing clarkson gives us probably better flow offensively

Just being honest I've never been the biggest clarkson supporter. I even preferred Fournier to clarkson this offseason as I felt he provided something we needed, elite shooting

I do like

Mosgov/ Noel
Randle/ nance
Deng/ Ingram
Young/ Williams
Russell/ Calderon

Much better than what we have now. I think Philly would love clarkson. He's under contract for a while and he's a guard which they need

I would've made the trade yesterday. I'm sure I'll get flack for it but I genuinely would rather have Noel as a prospect than clarkson.

Don't get me wrong. I understand clarkson is productive but growth potential isn't there for me. He seems like nothing's changed in 3 years. Like he's the same player. Maybe a little bigger. Also I feel as though he's similar to Ellis in that he's a tunnel visioned scorer

Williams is as well so we basically have 2 of those guys come off the bench.

I think we'd win more games just by having Calderon and Williams be our backcourt and then Noel be our other center

I think alone that improves us
  • LACAS likes this
Posted Image

#16 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,556 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 05:58 PM

Lakers need to hire Nash lol. He'd do wonders with our guards.

#17 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 2,266 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 04, 2017 - 01:46 AM

Jordan freakin' Clarkson.

I don't know what exactly ticked me off this season but I cannot stand his current game. He regressed in every possible category and became a one-trick pony who recklessly attacks the basket without any purpose. Court vision - gone from his game. Probing after pick - gone. 

Closely to the subject, most of our players in general often celebrate too much after made buckets. Ice in my veins [expletive], Clarkson shimmying. They are too cocky and they have not achieved anything. You didn't even make the playoffs. You have 25 freaking losses. I know that doesn't matter to some people, but that unjustified cockiness irks me so much.

• Tensai and kball like this
Impossible is nothing.

#18 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,922 posts

Posted January 04, 2017 - 05:29 AM

^

Maybe put together a measly 3 game win streak first before showboating.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#19 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,037 posts

Posted January 04, 2017 - 07:04 AM

I think it's fine for them to celebrate. They are young, rich, and living their dreams! It's like celebrating when you graduate college even though you haven't secured a job yet. I see no problem with it.
  • JGuez likes this

#20 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,922 posts

Posted January 04, 2017 - 07:34 AM

I think it's fine for them to celebrate. They are young, rich, and living their dreams! It's like celebrating when you graduate college even though you haven't secured a job yet. I see no problem with it.

Not really.

You're not trashing and showing up an opponent and proving little class and then display it for the tv audience on nba tv when you graduate college and celebrate.

Not that the guys shouldn't be happy about playing well and beating a quality opponent because they absolutely should. Just know your place (which is at the bottom of the standings with a reputation for playing soft, and giving up huge leads, being a terrible road team and not much better at home)

Edited by kball, January 04, 2017 - 07:37 AM.

READY FOR SEASON!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users