Photo

If you could add one active player to this roster, who would you pick?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,600 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted January 22, 2017 - 06:13 PM

And because the Suns beat the Raptors, the Lakers have moved down or up (depending on how you look at it) on tankathon. Sitting at 3

3rd pick?

#82 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,151 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 22, 2017 - 06:28 PM

3rd pick?

Yes sir

#83 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,850 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 28, 2017 - 09:45 AM

No he won't...already lost too many finals, and went half his career being scared to take over in the 4th. Watching LeBron's entire career, it just shocks me how anyone can say he's even close to Jordan. LeBron lost to an underdog team in the finals with a stacked roster! Come on man. This "he may become the GOAT" stuff should have stopped years ago. LeBron is 5-10 range all time easily, possibly even 4th but he's not getting past that. At no point has he ever been considered the most clutch player in the NBA or an elite defensive player, those two things alone should make it obviously clear that he isn't the best ever.

ESPN has done a great job of building up LeBron's legacy though. They have people completely forgetting how great other players were.

He has played in the NBA finals for almost the entire past decade, with 3 completely different squads, with the only consistent piece of those teams being him and the name on the front of the jersey in the Cavs case.  There aren't a lot of guys that can claim that, and he will with zero doubt go down as one of the greatest of all time by literally any metric you want to judge him by.  Getting to the actual greatest of all time against a guy who won 6 rings and didn't lose a single finals is pretty difficult, but LeBron has a pretty compelling case, and his career is far from over.

#84 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,763 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 28, 2017 - 05:51 PM

And already played in more finals than Jordan did.

When all is said and done it will be between those 2 guys for best non center to ever play.

With respect to our guy Kobe who remains my favorite player of all time

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#85 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,571 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 07:07 PM

And already played in more finals than Jordan did.

When all is said and done it will be between those 2 guys for best non center to ever play.

With respect to our guy Kobe who remains my favorite player of all time

Looking at the competition he faced, that's not saying much although it probably wouldn't matter a decade from now.

#86 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,763 posts

Posted January 29, 2017 - 04:46 AM

Exactly.

Truth be told all the absolute legends had peers, but only a couple of who were equals or near equals if any.

Its not so much other players weren't good, its that these legends were honestly so much better because they were generational.

Of the guys playing now who are the generational ones right now really?

My view is

LeBron

Steph

KD

RW

That's it

Then about 10 other really really good players (actually fantastic ones) any GM would love to have on team, including Harden.

I can't even put Melo and D Wade as generational and they've both had pretty spectacular careers with many all star games olympic medals, championships, scoring titles etc

Edited by kball, January 29, 2017 - 04:52 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#87 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,571 posts

Posted January 29, 2017 - 04:43 PM

What's your definition of a generational talent ? Cause I'm kinda confused if you've added curry and not wade.

Of the active players and considering their whole career:

LeBron

Durant distant second
And wade as a distant third

That's about it for me. One could argue lebron is the only generational talent after Kobe.

#88 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,763 posts

Posted January 29, 2017 - 04:58 PM

What's your definition of a generational talent ? Cause I'm kinda confused if you've added curry and not wade.

Of the active players and considering their whole career:

LeBron

Durant distant second
And wade as a distant third

That's about it for me. One could argue lebron is the only generational talent after Kobe.

Agree one could. And maybe he IS the only one currently playing.

I think its an eye test more than anything else.

Wade may have the better career than steph up to this point but I look at Steph as a total game changer.

I guess up to each fan and their history and preferences.

But just for the sake of full disclosure in the last 20 years id name only these guys as generational talents (in addition to those i already named)

Kobe

Shaq

Dirk

Timmy

Iverson

I think i'm giving RW and Steph a little leeway to have more seasons similar to their last few. If they don't i will drop them from my personal list.

LeBron and KD i think already achieved their status as generational.

READY FOR SEASON!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users