329 replies to this topic

#41 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,839 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 17, 2016 - 01:35 AM

We could someone like Marcus Smart - a psycho competitive defender whose approach to playing defense could have a positive impact on the other guys.

I agree.
Smart or Bradley for Clarkson would benefit both teams imo.

But I think Clarkson will get it

#42 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,461 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 17, 2016 - 04:38 AM

I agree.
Smart or Bradley for Clarkson would benefit both teams imo.

But I think Clarkson will get it

BOS wont let Bradley go, perhaps Smart but ehhhhhhhhh he doesn't move the needle.

Will JC get it? I had expected a greater leap from him this year...  I hope you're right.

#43 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 22,723 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 12:28 PM

I'd be all for a clarkson for smart or clarkson for Noel deal

Only issue is smart would require a pay day soon. But the guy does add a new element to our guard rotation. Instead of having 4 scorers at guard you have 3 scorers and a jack of all trades defensive guy

That flows better in my opinion

I'd do it in a heartbeat. It does improve the roster simply by adding a missing dimension

Noel would be nice but he's probably more a 4 than 5, but that would've been my desire would've been for him to play the backup 5 so these would be the 2 options

Mosgov/ black
Randle/ nance
Deng/ Ingram
Young/ Williams
Russell/ smart

Or

Mosgov/ Noel
Randle/ nance
Deng/ Ingram
Young/ Williams
Russell/ Calderon

Both are moves towards defensive improvement. If I had to choose I'd say smart. I think he adds a new dimension to this team overall. Noel is much better than black sure but I don't think he'd add the same punch as smart

I mean smart brings a new dynamic. Russell at the 2, with smart at the 1, young and smart, Williams and smart. Almost always having perimeter defense on the floor with young and smart

Noel while I'd welcome him greatly, which I would, I'd rather have smart
Posted Image

#44 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 2,923 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted December 17, 2016 - 01:04 PM

I'd be all for a clarkson for smart or clarkson for Noel deal

Only issue is smart would require a pay day soon. But the guy does add a new element to our guard rotation. Instead of having 4 scorers at guard you have 3 scorers and a jack of all trades defensive guy

That flows better in my opinion

I'd do it in a heartbeat. It does improve the roster simply by adding a missing dimension

Noel would be nice but he's probably more a 4 than 5, but that would've been my desire would've been for him to play the backup 5 so these would be the 2 options

Mosgov/ black
Randle/ nance
Deng/ Ingram
Young/ Williams
Russell/ smart

Or

Mosgov/ Noel
Randle/ nance
Deng/ Ingram
Young/ Williams
Russell/ Calderon

Both are moves towards defensive improvement. If I had to choose I'd say smart. I think he adds a new dimension to this team overall. Noel is much better than black sure but I don't think he'd add the same punch as smart

I mean smart brings a new dynamic. Russell at the 2, with smart at the 1, young and smart, Williams and smart. Almost always having perimeter defense on the floor with young and smart

Noel while I'd welcome him greatly, which I would, I'd rather have smart

I've watched Smart play his whole career since that is who I wanted us to draft him and he I'd ok defensively but terrible on offense. If he was a Tony Allen type then I can overlook his offense but he isnt. He is also a terrible FT shooter for a guard. Clarkson has been pretty underwhelming this year but I'm not trading him for Marcus Smart

#45 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,136 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted December 17, 2016 - 04:42 PM

Isnt Smart also a notorious nut puncher?

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#46 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,797 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted December 17, 2016 - 06:42 PM

Clarkson for Smart LMAO!!!
  • Wilt Chamberneezy and LACAS like this

#47 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,027 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 08:54 PM

If Smart and Clarkson are the main pieces in the trade, I would do that in heartbeat.

Smart takes pride in playing hard, and contributes on both ends of the floor. He is not a good shooter, is Clarkson a good shooter? Streaky at best. You could plug in Smart in any lineup with Russell, Lou, Young and don't lose any advantage. We already have the shooters.

fXlFKv8.gif

#48 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,839 posts

Posted December 18, 2016 - 01:41 AM

Clarkson played like we know he can.

#49 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 2,923 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted December 18, 2016 - 11:26 AM

If Smart and Clarkson are the main pieces in the trade, I would do that in heartbeat.

Smart takes pride in playing hard, and contributes on both ends of the floor. He is not a good shooter, is Clarkson a good shooter? Streaky at best. You could plug in Smart in any lineup with Russell, Lou, Young and don't lose any advantage. We already have the shooters.

How many games have you seen Smart play?

Edited by erfolk, December 18, 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#50 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 5,852 posts

Posted December 18, 2016 - 11:45 AM

Many, in 2k.

#51 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 5,852 posts

Posted December 18, 2016 - 11:49 AM

Again, it's easy to make emotional decisions like this( smart for Clarkson)

I barely watched smart this season but I know what type of player he is. That being said, as much as Clarkson game this season irritates the [expletive] out of me, I think he's trying to find him game with the second unit.

He's too selfish. I don't understand why. I assume the coaching staff told him to lead the second unit and be more aggressive but he's not finding the right style right now.

It will take time.

However, I agree that smart kind of fits with the players we have since he's a defensive minded guard.

#52 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 22,723 posts

Posted December 18, 2016 - 11:59 AM

Again, it's easy to make emotional decisions like this( smart for Clarkson)

I barely watched smart this season but I know what type of player he is. That being said, as much as Clarkson game this season irritates the [expletive] out of me, I think he's trying to find him game with the second unit.

He's too selfish. I don't understand why. I assume the coaching staff told him to lead the second unit and be more aggressive but he's not finding the right style right now.

It will take time.

However, I agree that smart kind of fits with the players we have since he's a defensive minded guard.

That was my point. Smart adds a new dimension to the roster. It wasn't a knock on clarkson. Clarkson can be redundant and quite frankly I have yet to see any growth from rookie year to now

That may mean he's flatlined as a player and will hover around where he's at now. Which isn't bad but smart is 2 years younger and just plays differently

It's not a necessary trade. Of course not. And maybe that desire changes with young and Williams gone

Problem is clarkson never steps up when there's injuries. That worries me.

Clarksons a nice player. Like nance he's been a great find. But what I'm saying is someone like smart or Noel add a dimension we don't have. Either off the bench give us a punch that doesn't exist off the bench. Defense

Again it's not necessity. But it would help. And you're not breaking youth
Posted Image

#53 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 5,852 posts

Posted December 18, 2016 - 09:16 PM

That was my point. Smart adds a new dimension to the roster. It wasn't a knock on clarkson. Clarkson can be redundant and quite frankly I have yet to see any growth from rookie year to now

That may mean he's flatlined as a player and will hover around where he's at now. Which isn't bad but smart is 2 years younger and just plays differently

It's not a necessary trade. Of course not. And maybe that desire changes with young and Williams gone

Problem is clarkson never steps up when there's injuries. That worries me.

Clarksons a nice player. Like nance he's been a great find. But what I'm saying is someone like smart or Noel add a dimension we don't have. Either off the bench give us a punch that doesn't exist off the bench. Defense

Again it's not necessity. But it would help. And you're not breaking youth

I get your point. In the end, Mitch will do what is necessary.

My thinking is this, this team had played around 30 games this season, under a new coach and new or resurgent players. Its too early to tell. II expect the front office to play the waiting game and get a better feeling before making such decision. I dont even think the Lakers will engage in any trades before Feb's deadline unless the team is bad enough that LAL is looking for a pick in the upcoming draft.

#54 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 14,671 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted December 18, 2016 - 09:31 PM

If the Lakers trade any of their youth for a pick rather than an established player, they're making a huge mistake.

Clarkson, to me, is nothing but trade bait at this point.  30 games into a season is long enough to tell what players are.  The same mistakes they made last year to a couple years ago are still being made under a new coach and system. 

#55 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,136 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted December 19, 2016 - 02:28 AM

^

Sunshine

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#56 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 5,852 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 05:49 AM

If the Lakers trade any of their youth for a pick rather than an established player, they're making a huge mistake.

Clarkson, to me, is nothing but trade bait at this point.  30 games into a season is long enough to tell what players are.  The same mistakes they made last year to a couple years ago are still being made under a new coach and system. 

I meant one of the established players : Deng( though highly unlikely) , Lou or Young.

#57 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 2,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted December 19, 2016 - 06:59 AM

I hate it when realist get bashed. Its like dealing with the New World Order when someone tries to uplift a culture that they want to surpress.  It's not panic, it's real. When you look at some of the shots taken by Randle, the defense not played by Russell who can barely stay healthy and even if he was healthy is about as athletic as ZBo, and a bunch of other glaring things out there it should be obvious that there will never be anything elite about anyone not named Ingram (he has to actually physically grow before we know). Even when we were 10 and 10 if you think some changes do not need to be made you are sadly mistaken. It's not about age and experience all the time. At some point either you can consistently ball or you can't. If anyone has convinced themselves that this exact roster could compete for a chip in 2019, please raise your hand. 

Edited by lakersince75, December 21, 2016 - 07:52 AM.

• fido, Tensai and LACAS like this

#58 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• Contributor
  • 14,995 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 19, 2016 - 07:37 PM

We need to acquire an actual defensive anchor. We can score all the points we want, but if we can't deter line-drives to the rim then we won't be a relevant team anytime soon. Fixing up our perimeter issues defensively will take a lot more time and personnel changes than acquiring a single stopper who can provide help as the last line of defense. Mozgov just won't cut it playing big minutes because he doesn't really bring anything to either end of the floor. He's not a threat to score down low, he's a below average shooter from 8-10 feet out, he's average on the boards, slow on his feet defensively, and he's just not deterring any drives straight to the rim. He's a solid backup center in this league, not a starter.

Clarkson is our most tradeable asset and his contributions are the most easily replaced. Dealing him would open up more offensive touches for Ingram as well and put him higher up on the totem pole, which is a plus. Ever since I first heard of a potential Noel/Clarkson swap a month ago, I've been enamored by that idea. A player like Noel fills in our biggest need defensively, will not demand touches on the offensive end (just a few roll or lob plays ala DeAndre Jordan should work), and he'd fit in just fine in an up-tempo offense. It just makes a ton of sense.

• LACAS likes this

#59 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,839 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Smh. Go away

#60 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,461 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974

Posted December 20, 2016 - 05:39 AM

I admit I didnt mind the Deng signing this summer however IMO the contract was too rich and too lengthy for my likings, unfortunately Deng looks done and out of place at SF, his best production last season was at PF perhaps his days as a solid SF are past him... I am hoping Deng continues this recent resurgence and hopefully it will drive up his stock making him possibly more moveable come the trading deadline. Perhaps a team on the cusp is looking for a vet or another young team is in need of a veteran presence, MIN? Personally I don't think this Laker team needs Deng, he doesn't do much for this team besides this Laker team is a few years away from truly competing therefore why not go all in on youth?

Somewhat how I feel about Moz as well; he's a decent big but do these Lakers truly need his 16M on the books for the next 4 years? For example would we be worse off with a young big at C such as Noel who's earning 4.3M?

I understand we had to spend money, I also understand hindsight is 20/20 and lastly I understand at some point we need to start building a team with that said Im hoping management addresses the need on D and a go to guy.

Two names that come to mind; Noel and Tony Allen at 5M could help.

Edited by LACAS, December 20, 2016 - 05:45 AM.

• lakersince75 likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users