#21 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 1,886 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted December 14, 2016 - 06:44 AM

Kawhi like the NBA version of prime Revis, we might have to start calling his part of the floor Claw Island.

#22 LACAS

LACAS

Rookie

• 1,083 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 14, 2016 - 06:54 AM

The sky is falling.

#23 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 2,835 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted December 14, 2016 - 10:21 AM

We eventually need to replace Mozgov with a more mobile center that can actually play in the 4th quarter and block shots. I would love to see Gorgui Dieng in this offense. He can be an elite rim protector, and is an underrated passer who could function like Bogut did in Golden State.

So who are we replacing him for. What mobile center is available and Dieng would be nice but who are we trading for him?

#24 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,061 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 14, 2016 - 10:24 AM

Yea b/c Philly is going to do a dumb trade like that

Trade Lou or Deng for a defensive big like Noel.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#25 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,061 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 10:30 AM

You're seriously over thinking the process.  What if Russell in 3-4 is a top 10 NBA player?  Ingram an all defensive player?  Then what?  That would look damn good with Boogie and other solid role players. 

There is NOTHING they can do to compete with the Cavs or Warriors right now or the next 2 years or so.  They can and will improve but making a move to simply make one does not equal improvement.  The team has already gotten better overnight offensively.  Defense will follow at some point.  Either with the current guys getting better and/or with new guys being added and some guys gone. 

There isn't a move they can make today that would make a serious impact in a positive direction as far as wins IMO.  Trading Lou might net you a solid pick and a player stuck on the bench.  Good asset move but probably terrible basketball move in the short term. 

Here are the facts.

1. There is no guarantee that this group will ever pan out.

2. Lakers are not the only team with big upside, so banking on bunch of first round picks may not be the smartest idea.

3. For every Warriors and Thunder, there are T'Wolves, Sixers.

So come back to reality:

And reality is that, this team sucks on defense. And you know what is worse? The coach emphasizes the hell out of defensive scheme, and they still can't do it. Other than Ingram, there is no one that has it. They only show the effort when they get their share on the offensive end. And that tells you all about the team chemistry.

We don't need five 20 years old to take this team to playoffs. We need a team to do it. And if that team consisted of 2-3 young players surrounded by proven veterans, then that's the way things should be. It is not the time to romanticize about the picks and upsides anymore. The sooner we face the reality, the better the product will be on the court.

If we are targeting Cousins in 2018, would it make sense to hold on to all these young players?

Cousins

Veteran

Ingram

Veteran

Russell

should work mighty fine if the veterans in the starting lineup were high IQ players that could play defense.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#26 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,061 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 10:34 AM

To put things into perspective.  LA is worst in the league in Def Eff but they have a better record than 9 of the teams ahead of them.  Philly is also 18th in Def Eff. 

Just shows me that both teams are getting better in different areas.  Both teams are already clearly better than they were the previous year for a number of reasons. 

#27 rossf

rossf

Rookie

• 213 posts
  • Fan Since:'50s
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 15, 2016 - 11:33 AM

Here are the facts.

1. There is no guarantee that this group will ever pan out.

2. Lakers are not the only team with big upside, so banking on bunch of first round picks may not be the smartest idea.

3. For every Warriors and Thunder, there are T'Wolves, Sixers.

So come back to reality:

And reality is that, this team sucks on defense. And you know what is worse? The coach emphasizes the hell out of defensive scheme, and they still can't do it. Other than Ingram, there is no one that has it. They only show the effort when they get their share on the offensive end. And that tells you all about the team chemistry.

We don't need five 20 years old to take this team to playoffs. We need a team to do it. And if that team consisted of 2-3 young players surrounded by proven veterans, then that's the way things should be. It is not the time to romanticize about the picks and upsides anymore. The sooner we face the reality, the better the product will be on the court.

If we are targeting Cousins in 2018, would it make sense to hold on to all these young players?

Cousins

Veteran

Ingram

Veteran

Russell

should work mighty fine if the veterans in the starting lineup were high IQ players that could play defense.

The reality is that the Lakers are rebuilding. They've made their draft picks, got their new young coach, filled in the roster with some available vets to help create a more professional and stable working environment, and now they go through the process of development. A painful process. It's disappointing that they've fallen apart lately, but I expect the Lakers are going to be far more patient than what you're proposing. It's very early.

There are no guarantees. As far as being winners in the NBA, nobody knows how players so young are going to turn out. That's what building from the draft entails. For some Lakers fans, it might be better to go away and come back in a few years.

• FranklinPeanuts and Jody Smokes like this

#28 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 5,893 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted December 15, 2016 - 11:36 AM

^

Post more Rossf. Please.

Well written and always well reasoned posts.

Good to see you back

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Hockey stick growth curve for Randle, D'lo, Nance and Clarkson ASAP) 2. Miracle Trade (Lakers need a top 10 player...or maybe 2 to compete w bigboys) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Ingram and Zubac getting playing time and impacting games)

READY FOR SEASON!

#29 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 6,368 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 05:12 PM

The reality is that the Lakers are rebuilding. They've made their draft picks, got their new young coach, filled in the roster with some available vets to help create a more professional and stable working environment, and now they go through the process of development. A painful process. It's disappointing that they've fallen apart lately, but I expect the Lakers are going to be far more patient than what you're proposing. It's very early.

There are no guarantees. As far as being winners in the NBA, nobody knows how players so young are going to turn out. That's what building from the draft entails. For some Lakers fans, it might be better to go away and come back in a few years.

There are three elements to rebuilding.

A. Draft

B. Free Agency

C. Trade

For 3 years we are only using the Option A. We failed in B, and we haven't really utilized C because we didn't have much to offer. But now we have. 5 young players that haven't been exposed much, and can bring value in return. Lou who is a perennial 6th man in the league, and some 2nd round draft picks we obtained for Calderon. Why aren't we using these assets to improve the team? Everytime it is the same answer. Development takes time. That is assuming you know that it will work out. There is no guarantee. T'Wolves had a team consisted of Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio, Jonny Flynn, Wesley Johnson etc. all lottery picks. What happened to that team by waiting and holding onto picks and promises?

People here are flying high assuming D'Angelo will be another Curry, Ingram will be another Durant, and Randle will surpass Draymond Green. What a time to be alive!

fXlFKv8.gif

#30 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 2,902 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 15, 2016 - 06:53 PM

There are three elements to rebuilding.

A. Draft
B. Free Agency
C. Trade

For 3 years we are only using the Option A. We failed in B, and we haven't really utilized C because we didn't have much to offer. But now we have. 5 young players that haven't been exposed much, and can bring value in return. Lou who is a perennial 6th man in the league, and some 2nd round draft picks we obtained for Calderon. Why aren't we using these assets to improve the team? Everytime it is the same answer. Development takes time. That is assuming you know that it will work out. There is no guarantee. T'Wolves had a team consisted of Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio, Jonny Flynn, Wesley Johnson etc. all lottery picks. What happened to that team by waiting and holding onto picks and promises?

People here are flying high assuming D'Angelo will be another Curry, Ingram will be another Durant, and Randle will surpass Draymond Green. What a time to be alive!

I've been saying this for a while. I get being optimistic but what if this goes south? No one has an answer for that. In their head it's automatic that Russell, Ingram and Randle will be Allstars/Superstars. All I'm saying is hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Because like you said the wolves had a lineup of straight lottery picks and it went south. No one is still on that team but Rubio. Look at them now. They have KAT, Lavine, Wiggins, Dunn and they still aren't winning games. Who's to say it won't go south again and they have to make moves.

Edited by JayTheGreat, December 15, 2016 - 06:53 PM.

• Tensai likes this

#31 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

Starter

• 5,504 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 08:23 PM

I've been saying this for a while. I get being optimistic but what if this goes south? No one has an answer for that. In their head it's automatic that Russell, Ingram and Randle will be Allstars/Superstars. All I'm saying is hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Because like you said the wolves had a lineup of straight lottery picks and it went south. No one is still on that team but Rubio. Look at them now. They have KAT, Lavine, Wiggins, Dunn and they still aren't winning games. Who's to say it won't go south again and they have to make moves.

lol yeah Wolves picks are definitely busts.

Remind me of the Thunder's ranking in 08-09 please.

This is how draft works. There's no guarantee but its all about betting on potential unless you're LeBron. Based on your bright thinking, Charlotte made the right decision by trading Kobe, and this is one example of many. Sure there are busts, but its funny that you and Tensai, who raved about the young guys in the offseason, are mentioning this because of a losing streak as if this team is considered to be a contender this season.

I'm yet to see a young team who play consistent or win consistently throughout their early seasons. Its a cycle that people are denying to accept.

• Jody Smokes likes this

#32 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 6,368 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 08:36 PM

Wait, wait.

There is a difference between losing, and losing while playing bad. Durant and those Thunder teams lost in their early seasons. But Durant while not making the playoffs, averaged 20ppg, 25ppg, 30ppg in his first 3 years. Are supposed to pretend we have that kind of player? It was obvious Durant's time would come just like Jordan's time came as years went on.

We are playing bad individually and collectively. I'm not sure how much obvious this is supposed to get. We didn't get the 10-10 record because Russell was shooting lights out, or Randle was consistenly embarrasing people. We did it with Luke's offensive plan. While effectively seperating the starters and bench unit, it became obvious it couldn't be sustainable with injuries coming one after another. It is Luke's job to fix that, but the point is so far in 28 games, we are playing horrible on defense, and as much as Luke has been preaching it since the training camp, there are guys that are going backwards, i.e. Clarkson, Nance Jr. Are we supposed to ignore it? Basketball is played with personel, and we don't have the personel to pull off consistent defense. So instead of having 7-8 players that can score the ball, we should find a way to address this problem.

fXlFKv8.gif

#33 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

Starter

• 5,504 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 08:53 PM

I'm not predicating what the young guys will be in the future but as far as Im concerned neither Curry, Thompson nor Green had the potential that Durant had, and they were able to get a ring. They won as a group where Andre won the FMVP.

GS is not necessarily the blueprint to follow. These players will grow to be who they're going to be but laying out the issues now, because of a losing streak, is insane and short sighted.

#34 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,734 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 15, 2016 - 11:02 PM

Wait, wait.

There is a difference between losing, and losing while playing bad. Durant and those Thunder teams lost in their early seasons. But Durant while not making the playoffs, averaged 20ppg, 25ppg, 30ppg in his first 3 years. Are supposed to pretend we have that kind of player? It was obvious Durant's time would come just like Jordan's time came as years went on.

We are playing bad individually and collectively. I'm not sure how much obvious this is supposed to get. We didn't get the 10-10 record because Russell was shooting lights out, or Randle was consistenly embarrasing people. We did it with Luke's offensive plan. While effectively seperating the starters and bench unit, it became obvious it couldn't be sustainable with injuries coming one after another. It is Luke's job to fix that, but the point is so far in 28 games, we are playing horrible on defense, and as much as Luke has been preaching it since the training camp, there are guys that are going backwards, i.e. Clarkson, Nance Jr. Are we supposed to ignore it? Basketball is played with personel, and we don't have the personel to pull off consistent defense. So instead of having 7-8 players that can score the ball, we should find a way to address this problem.

The team does need a bit of an overhaul. With a back-Court rotation of Russell, Clarkson, Lou, Swaggy and Calderon i dont see the perimeter defense change anytime soon and as good as we've been on switches we're dead last in Blocks per game and the worst team protecting the rim. Mozzy has been ok-ish.

At the same time, we've seen a lot of positive signs from this team so far so it's a bit of a balance between riding (or finding) that momentum had us at a .500 record and trying to adress some needs. To me the issues we have simply cant be solved with the guys we have right now. Sure, Zubac may be a good rim protector a few years down the road and i think Ingram in time will develop into an elite back-court defender.

#35 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,469 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 16, 2016 - 01:50 AM

It's funny because these core guys are considerably younger than the playoff teams.
Again if this is a development year then being in lottery contention vs GS having 4 straight laughers against us is what it is.

I want this team to win every game but I think when we don't have guys who are 25-32 at the helm, history and the current standings show that the Lakers should be struggling especially with the injuries to OUR version of Steph and Klay.

Wish we closed a couple games out better but overall can't be too shocked at this record with this schedule.

#36 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,743 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted December 16, 2016 - 12:13 PM

I still think we're ahead of schedule. 

Obviously the the injury bug and our current losing streak sucks, but we are playing WAY better basketball then season's past.

Good news is we're only behind 3 games from the #8 Blazers with a lot of games left to play and some relief coming up in our schedule after this current road trip... If our players can get their body right and continue this trend of improved play (DENG heating up!), we'll be fighting for playoff contention all year long, which exceeds my expectations for this season.

Stay patient fans, our future is very very bright.

2div

#37 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,385 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 16, 2016 - 01:50 PM

I think you guys are mistaking talent with all time great players. It doesn't look like we have all time great players (Durant) on this lineup, but that can be arranged through trade/FA. We can't just expect a player like that to come over night. Even if you draft one, it takes years for them to make a playoff impact. Just cause we don't have one now doesn't mean that the team needs to be blown up.

#38 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 5,641 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 16, 2016 - 02:18 PM

A lot of fans on here have a tendency to press the auto-pilot  button with hopes of smooth sailing as soon as things seem to be going well and will immediately press the panic button the second a downward trend begins.  

This is an extremely raw team with both developing talent and a developing coaching staff.  Had the injury bug not hit them during such a successful stride, I'm more than certain our record would be in the range of .500 if not a few games above.

It is what it is.  You'll have to accept the blows and downward spirals.  Especially with such a young, inexperienced, and inconsistent team.  What's important is how the coaching staff and entire team will try and bundle up in order to dig themselves out of the current losing streak.  As Luke said, everything that takes place is a learning lesson.  Teams go on losing streaks and generally have stars that can help pull them out.  This current team lacks that singular talent thus the entire team will have to push.  It'll be like this all year and as I've stated since the beginning.  This team isn't going to win games on talent, but rather team effort and cohesiveness.

#39 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 5,893 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted December 16, 2016 - 09:01 PM

They actually could win on talent they have. But not at an impressive 50 win pace

But their defense is so bad that prevents even .500.

Too many plays off. No go to guy does make it harder assuming we can keep more games close or even lead game going into 4th which would be nice.

• LACAS likes this

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Hockey stick growth curve for Randle, D'lo, Nance and Clarkson ASAP) 2. Miracle Trade (Lakers need a top 10 player...or maybe 2 to compete w bigboys) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Ingram and Zubac getting playing time and impacting games)

READY FOR SEASON!

#40 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,734 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 16, 2016 - 09:19 PM

We could someone like Marcus Smart - a psycho competitive defender whose approach to playing defense could have a positive impact on the other guys. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users