#221 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,499 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 11, 2017 - 04:50 PM

Move Moz and Deng ;)

Yeah get your winning lottery tickets get em while they're hot, ok who is going to give you anything with the way they are playing? 

• Rekal and LACAS like this

#222 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,954 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 11, 2017 - 06:45 PM

Yeah get your winning lottery tickets get em while they're hot, ok who is going to give you anything with the way they are playing? 

The wink brah, the wink ;)

#223 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,252 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:21 PM

What's the point of trading NBA players for a player we can stash in the Dleague. Also on Bogut I go by watching the game and he isn't the type of defensive player he used to be. Again you said you want to trade player who are not a part of the future so why trade for a player who.wouldnt be part of the future? Makes no since

The idea is to try and plan ahead a little bit. If we are keeping Black, we may not be interested in payign market price for T-Rob and then it's better to move him now, than to see him go elsewhere for nothing.

#224 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,263 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 12, 2017 - 01:49 AM

When our core hits mid twenties and Zubac can grow as a solid guy on both sides, we will be in the mix.

Until then we are going to be inconsistent to a certain degree.

#225 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,004 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted January 12, 2017 - 02:02 AM

The idea is to try and plan ahead a little bit. If we are keeping Black, we may not be interested in payign market price for T-Rob and then it's better to move him now, than to see him go elsewhere for nothing.

I got that but what can we get that's better then him just being on the team. You haven't given any trades that benefits both teams that makes since for us. That's why I say you want us to make a trade just to make one. I just don't see the point in trading him for a late second rounder since that's what you will get for him imo.

#226 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,252 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 03:15 AM

I got that but what can we get that's better then him just being on the team. You haven't given any trades that benefits both teams that makes since for us. That's why I say you want us to make a trade just to make one. I just don't see the point in trading him for a late second rounder since that's what you will get for him imo.

I dont want to make a trade just to make a trade, but i must admit that i'm sick and tired of seing former Lakers leave once they hit free agency. Bazemore, Bass, Ellington, Ed Davis etc. The front office [expletive]ing knew that they weren't going to re-sign those guys so why the hell didn’t we get something for them when we had the chance. That is what doesn’t make any sense. Most of those guys signed bargain deals elsewhere.

You may think KJ McDaniels is a complete worthless scrub and that Bogut cant defend anymore, but lets just agree to disagree on that one.

#227 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,478 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 12, 2017 - 03:44 AM

I dont want to make a trade just to make a trade, but i must admit that i'm sick and tired of seing former Lakers leave once they hit free agency. Bazemore, Bass, Ellington, Ed Davis etc. The front office [expletive]ing knew that they weren't going to re-sign those guys so why the hell didn’t we get something for them when we had the chance. That is what doesn’t make any sense. Most of those guys signed bargain deals elsewhere.

You may think KJ McDaniels is a complete worthless scrub and that Bogut cant defend anymore, but lets just agree to disagree on that one.

Guys you named are equivalent of just rearranging deck chairs on Titanic.

TRob or Black v Bass and Davis are interchangeable.

As are others vs players we gave now.

Ellington, Meeks etc...who even cares about those guys.

Even Baze. Not missing him at all And would rather have Lou anyway

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#228 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,252 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 05:40 AM

Guys you named are equivalent of just rearranging deck chairs on Titanic.

TRob or Black v Bass and Davis are interchangeable.

As are others vs players we gave now.

Ellington, Meeks etc...who even cares about those guys.

Even Baze. Not missing him at all And would rather have Lou anyway

That's not my point. The point is that they had value and was allowed to walk for nothing instead of landing something - anything - that might be of use. I mean, if we didn't plan on keeping Davis and Bass last season, why on earth not move them for a young player or a pick?

#229 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,613 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted January 12, 2017 - 07:21 AM

That's not my point. The point is that they had value and was allowed to walk for nothing instead of landing something - anything - that might be of use. I mean, if we didn't plan on keeping Davis and Bass last season, why on earth not move them for a young player or a pick?

So are you arguing that no player should ever be allowed to enter free agency without first being traded?

They weren't traded because there is a trade deadline. Teams, unless in full on tank mode, don't usually intentionally make their team worse with 20-30 games left in the season. If there were no trade deadline than this would make sense.

Edited by kidpolean, January 12, 2017 - 07:22 AM.

#230 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,954 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 08:11 AM

So are you arguing that no player should ever be allowed to enter free agency without first being traded?

They weren't traded because there is a trade deadline. Teams, unless in full on tank mode, don't usually intentionally make their team worse with 20-30 games left in the season. If there were no trade deadline than this would make sense.

Kid I agree with you for the most part however in certain situations such as with DH; we all knew he was walking and most definitely the FO knew he was walking therefore we should have traded him prior to losing him for nothing. In situations such as these in where you know they guy is walking or where you know you aren't going to give him what he wants or when you know he simply doesn't fit your build... IMO you move the guy and get something in return rather than lose him for nothing. 

#231 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,379 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 08:36 AM

Kid I agree with you for the most part however in certain situations such as with DH; we all knew he was walking and most definitely the FO knew he was walking therefore we should have traded him prior to losing him for nothing. In situations such as these in where you know they guy is walking or where you know you aren't going to give him what he wants or when you know he simply doesn't fit your build... IMO you move the guy and get something in return rather than lose him for nothing.

Lakers were trying to make the playoffs and under a new coach. No sane GM would pull such a trade.

Now in hindsight, yeah sure management should've traded him but that's not how reality works.

Edited by Ventiquattro, January 12, 2017 - 08:52 AM.

• Jody Smokes, kidpolean and LACAS like this

#232 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,607 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted January 12, 2017 - 09:37 AM

So is it fair to suggest that you just keep moving pieces around until each and every individual fan is happy? That is not going to ever happen. I have an open mind and i have learned not to fall in love with individual players. If you have a legit chance at getting a better player, then do it. In that same breath, I am not trying to keep making changes just because there is a player or two that i just don't like. At the start of the season., folks didnt think Lou and Young would work out and wanted them traded, and those two are the same players that are actually helping the Lakers A Lot. I mean who , knew would have the season he would have and he is playing some defense, WHO KNEW? And Lou, has been one of the most consistent (sir chuck a lot) players on the team.

I myself, would like to stand pat. At the end of the season, Calderon, Metta, Robinson, Huertas and Nick (if there are more, i forgot) will all be free agents and i personally doubt any of them come back.. Maybe Nick but he may want some big money for 4 years. (He will be a Clipper, right Doc?) lol

#233 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,004 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted January 12, 2017 - 09:48 AM

None of those guys you named we really miss to be honest and b trading them wouldn't have given you much. Agree to disagree on what? I never said Bogut can't defend anymore I said he has lost a few steps and I doubt he wants to play for a rebuilding team. Also KJ isn't very good and is the same exact player he was when he came into the league.

#234 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,954 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 10:07 AM

Lakers were trying to make the playoffs and under a new coach. No sane GM would pull such a trade.

Now in hindsight, yeah sure management should've traded him but that's not how reality works.

I get we were trying to make the playoffs but the guy was walking and no it wasn't simply hindsight, DH was checked out and was not going to resign to play with Kobe or Mike D. In addition it was going to be a short lived play off push anyhow and we weren't going to cut Kobe so.... DH was gone.

Edited by LACAS, January 12, 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#235 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,379 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 10:13 AM

I get we were trying to make the playoffs but the guy was walking and no it wasn't simply hindsight, DH was checked out and was not going to resign to play with Kobe or Mike D. In addition it was going to be a short lived play off push anyhow and we weren't going to cut Kobe so.... DH was gone.

What If Kobe remained healthy and the Lakers went deeper in the playoffs? No one knows tbh.

• LACAS likes this

#236 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,954 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 10:20 AM

What If Kobe remained healthy and the Lakers went deeper in the playoffs? No one knows tbh.

IMO even if Kobe would have remained healthy, the bad chemistry would have taken us out... but you're probably right, no one knows.

#237 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,478 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 01:23 PM

I think TROB is making a pretty damn good case to hang on to him.

We'll see what 2nd half brings for him, especially if Zubac starts getting 20 minutes a game

• LACAS likes this

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

#238 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,252 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 10:35 PM

Well, ideally that's the goal. If a player isn't likely to be re-signed for whatever reason - salary, depth, whatever - then the team is better off moving that player for whatever can be had and then give those extra minutes to someone else.

There's been soooooo many opportunities to move those guys i mentioned, but the Lakers for whatever reason decided not to go down that path.

#239 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,252 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 10:42 PM

I think TROB is making a pretty damn good case to hang on to him.

We'll see what 2nd half brings for him, especially if Zubac starts getting 20 minutes a game

Sure. I'm not necessarily saying TRob is a player that has to go. But i have a hard time seing how we can find minutes for all of these guys.

#240 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,478 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 05:31 AM

Well, ideally that's the goal. If a player isn't likely to be re-signed for whatever reason - salary, depth, whatever - then the team is better off moving that player for whatever can be had and then give those extra minutes to someone else.

There's been soooooo many opportunities to move those guys i mentioned, but the Lakers for whatever reason decided not to go down that path.

League just generally doesn't work this way.

Even if a team's front office wanted to operate in such a manner there just isn't willing trade partners for every player on every team that would fall into this area of yours.

In fact very few moves are done at trade deadlines the majority of years. Like less than 7 total most years iirc. Some much less like 1 or 2.

The players in the league that you'd like to include in your category... how many players would comprise that list?

100?

150?

More than that?

Its just ridiculous Danish

Thats why tinkering with lineups and minutes is easier and more appropriate given limitations of salary cap etc than your MOVE EVERYONE AT ANY COST method.

Just not practical or feasible 

Edited by kball, January 13, 2017 - 05:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users