6 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,670 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 26, 2016 - 11:04 PM

Between the Jazz and Lakers i think the Lakers have a lot more going for them going forward. Gobert-Exum-Hood are nice, but i'd take our young core (and coach) ahead of those guys any day.

So why not throw Gordon Hayward a max offer?

He'd start at the 2 along with Russell and give us an extremely versatile back-court. If we could somehow snag a restricted defensive big during the season - Noel, WCS etc. - we'd be set. Alternatively we could try to trade for Bogut.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, November 26, 2016 - 11:06 PM.

#2 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,591 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 26, 2016 - 11:40 PM

I'm willing to go after Hayward. He'd be leaving a ton of money if he left Utah though. I'm not sure we're attractive enough to make him look away from many millions of dollars.

#3 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TEIAM

• 2,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted November 27, 2016 - 08:55 AM

I would love for him to come here.  He is awesome.

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,140 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 27, 2016 - 04:05 PM

I'm willing to go after Hayward. He'd be leaving a ton of money if he left Utah though. I'm not sure we're attractive enough to make him look away from many millions of dollars.

I actually wonder if jazz would give him max. That's 30 mill for 5 years. That would put them a bit over the expected cap assuming they don't resign Hill or add anyone else. Lot of money for keeping the same team that probably won't be much better than a 2nd round exit.

The Lakers could offer 27-29 mill a year for 4 years though.

#5 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,591 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 27, 2016 - 05:05 PM

I actually wonder if jazz would give him max. That's 30 mill for 5 years. That would put them a bit over the expected cap assuming they don't resign Hill or add anyone else. Lot of money for keeping the same team that probably won't be much better than a 2nd round exit.

The Lakers could offer 27-29 mill a year for 4 years though.

That team is nothing without Hayward. Zero chance Utah attracts any valuable FA other than what they have now. They'll just have to accept their faith as a meddling playoff team for a few years and pay up. There's no real scenario where they get much better, but they get a lot worse by losing Hayward.

If they wanna lose him and tank, they can. But more times than not, owners will rather make money filling seats in the playoffs than hope for the best in the lottery.

#6 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,670 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 27, 2016 - 10:47 PM

I think the most likely scenario is that Utah gives him the full max, which as a 7-9yr vet is 30% of 102M cap w/ 7% raises and 5 years - about 170M (!)

Lakers could offer the max as well, but cant give him that fifth year worth about 40M, which is significant. I do think the Lakers would be able to (and willing) to pay him more than Utah following the first deal which could even out things a little bit.

The chance we have is if Utah have doubts in terms of giving Hayward that kind of money. George Hill is looking to get a massive raise this summer and if they commit 75M to those three (Hill, Gobert, Hayward) it may be tough for them to keep Guys like Exum,  Lyles and Hood who all has looked really good.

I do think he stays though (on a max deal) and i think they solve the economic issues by trading Favors and either Lyles, Exum or Hood for another established player.

#7 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 28, 2016 - 07:56 AM

It's not easy to obtain free agents from other teams, especially for a team like Utah. They're going to offer Hayward the max, and he'll most likely stay. 

That extra year (and tens of millions of dollars with that) is huge. And for an athlete looking long term (potential injury), they'll try to secure that financial security. 

It's different for superstars who often take short-term deals (depending on changing salary cap) to obtain a higher max once the salary cap settles. And of course if they want to jump to another team to win a ring. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users