Photo

Any Chance Klay Thompson Gets Traded This Season?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

• 43,070 posts

Posted November 18, 2016 - 05:24 PM

There's been some rumors here and there and speculation that at times he hasn't looked as happy or fully engaged combined with the fact that he may be the most expendable as far as potentially getting a better fit for their greater weakness in return.

Among some that I've heard have been Jabari Parker, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, and a first round pick, or the biggest undoubtedly, DeMarcus Cousins.

The Cousins one is interesting in several aspects. One, the salaries seemingly match straight up, the Warriors would also clearly fill their greatest weakness in size and at that center position with inside scoring, some better defending of the paint perhaps, and the dude can even stretch it to three if need be as well.

Draymond has always been undersized, but it's been even more evident this season clearly without Bogut. DC could help tremendously.

Obviously the greatest risk perhaps is the potential chemistry issue, which I think will be the greatest factor in ultimately whether they seriously consider it enough or not.

Also, do you think GS would be better off as a whole and team and more dangerous with Cousins over Klay or as is? Or if you have any other ideas or proposals/scenarios that you've thought of or heard, please share.

yo.

#2 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,383 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 18, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Klay's ability to shoot, create and defend is irreplaceable.

They wouldn't trade Klay back before their first ring. They won't come close to trading him now either.
  • JGuez likes this

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,074 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 18, 2016 - 06:24 PM

I still think they should call up miami and see if they would trade Klay for Whiteside. Miami isn't going to be able to build around whiteside but they could with Klay. Whiteside would also seem more effective with GS being that they have a glaring whole in their defense at center. They might be able to get away with it a few years ago when Iggy was still a elite defender but not anymore. Time and tested that defense wins championships. Even for GS it did. Curry never really showed up for the finals they won but they were so good defensively they won. Right now Im not sure if they will get past the Spurs or Clippers. 

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 52,865 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 18, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Why would he?  Now that he's hitting his shots after that slow start you'd think stories like this would disappear.  Like that "Aldridge is gonna leave San Antonio" story disappeared. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

• 43,070 posts

Posted November 18, 2016 - 06:31 PM

I think if they were to somehow get absolutely blown out and demolished against Cleveland, particularly getting exposed immensely inside they may look more seriously into it even if it's just one game and may seem like an overreaction. That game could potentially be very telling.

yo.

#6 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,071 posts

Posted November 18, 2016 - 06:38 PM

Not this year, no, but maybe in the off-season if they come up short. Cousins, Whiteside, etc. are all bigs that could flourish on that team and cover some of their weaknesses.

I think he's the odd man out. Green is the engine of that team and far more irreplaceable than Klay.

Edited by Massacre, November 18, 2016 - 06:38 PM.

• 43,070 posts

Posted November 18, 2016 - 06:44 PM

Whether this season or next potentially, I wonder who would they prefer or be the better fit.

Whiteside is far greater defensively, but DC is far greater offensively clearly.

Plus the fact that he can also stretch it out to the three even in that system of theirs would be ridiculous and he also hits his free throws relatively well for a big. Question is would they value his offensive arsenal and skillet more over some superior rim protection in Whiteside?

Thing with Whiteside especially though is that the stats as far as actual blocks, don't truly tell the story. Much like Bynum in his best days, he alters and changes a multitude of shots.

Of those two, who do you guys think would be of greater impact overall given their respective strengths?

yo.

#8 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 1,881 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted November 18, 2016 - 06:49 PM

Not this year, no, but maybe in the off-season if they come up short. Cousins, Whiteside, etc. are all bigs that could flourish on that team and cover some of their weaknesses.

I think he's the odd man out. Green is the engine of that team and far more irreplaceable than Klay.

Yeah I deff agree, Klay is deff great and really is one of the best players in the league but in no way is he irreplaceable. I think the other three stars are so unique and great that if you had to trade one of them Klay is the one.

#9 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

Starter

• 5,466 posts

Posted November 18, 2016 - 10:20 PM

Klay  to Utah

Gobert and Hood to Golden State

• 43,070 posts

Posted November 19, 2016 - 12:17 AM

^ That would be incredible for GS. Can't see how Utah even considers such prospects though.

yo.

#11 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,894 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 19, 2016 - 08:34 AM

I think they will examine every option to strengthen that front court that does  not involve trading Klay.  But yeah, I think there is a chance.

However, they have to be really cautious, because Durant can also opt-out this off-season. 

The ignore feature is a healthy alternative to feeding trolls. 

#12 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,723 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 20, 2016 - 02:25 AM

Klay  to Utah

Gobert and Hood to Golden State

More like Hood and Favors to GS. Would actually help both teams.

Hood is playing pretty well right now and would be a fine replacement for Klay and Favors would solve their interior defensive issues.

For Utah, it gives them the best player in the deal. Adding a top 3 SG to the best defensive big man in the game and one of the best young wings in Hayward as well as a handfull of quality roleplayers would push Utah into the upper tier in the west. Also, they'd be able to improve going forward given their age.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, November 20, 2016 - 02:25 AM.

•     likes this

#13 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 5,615 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 20, 2016 - 09:48 PM

In a desperate attempt to become somewhat relevant again.  I'm pretty sure the Kings would happily deal Cousins for Klay...

I actually consider that if I'me the Warriors.

Steph, Durant, Cousins is a hell of a trio....

• Biggums likes this

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,048 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 25, 2016 - 12:16 PM

Ehh, Boogie doesnt provide what they need vs CLE.  The defense has taken a step back for obvious reasons but they can work through that.  Giving up a potent shooter and wing defender like Klay over what is just them finding chemistry would be idiotic.  GSW will be find and will peak when it counts and hopefully they still lose in the Finals lol

In a desperate attempt to become somewhat relevant again.  I'm pretty sure the Kings would happily deal Cousins for Klay...

I actually consider that if I'me the Warriors.

Steph, Durant, Cousins is a hell of a trio....

Edited by Jody Smokes, November 25, 2016 - 12:16 PM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#15 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 5,615 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 26, 2016 - 12:40 AM

Ehh, Boogie doesnt provide what they need vs CLE.  The defense has taken a step back for obvious reasons but they can work through that.  Giving up a potent shooter and wing defender like Klay over what is just them finding chemistry would be idiotic.  GSW will be find and will peak when it counts and hopefully they still lose in the Finals lol

I'm actually hoping the Warriors win it all because if Lebron were to defeat this stacked Warriors trio, he'd probably go down as the greatest ever if not 1B to Jordan and I don't want that haha

#16 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,048 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 26, 2016 - 09:40 PM

Man that [expletive] would top anything Michael ever did lol

I'm actually hoping the Warriors win it all because if Lebron were to defeat this stacked Warriors trio, he'd probably go down as the greatest ever if not 1B to Jordan and I don't want that haha

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#17 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 1,881 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted November 27, 2016 - 01:01 AM

Honestly I feel like there have been a lot of teams that haven't won championships in this era that are better than the teams Michael beat. Last year's warriors, 2011 heat, 2010 celtics are just some examples of teams that are better.

I'm not even sure who would be the best out of the teams Michael has beaten, maybe 96 sonics or those Jazz teams?

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,443 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 28, 2016 - 02:54 AM

East was harder then though and teams structured different.

Don't forget the teammates. MJ did it the hard way. Always the favorite. Bron is amazing. MJ was Bron with Kobe's mentality/Will plus a better overall player than both.

#19 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,650 posts

Posted November 28, 2016 - 08:25 AM

Klay is already one of the best shooters of all time and is only 26. They won a championship with him and got to the finals last year.

There is literally no reason to trade him because he is the perfect role player. Plays solid defense at multiple positions and makes you pay for leaving him open, which he inevitably will be with the system and roster they have. Not open? He moves the ball.

He was in a shooting slump earlier but I'd be absolutely shocked if he'd be considered for trade. He just fits way too perfectly on their roster and takes so much pressure off KD and Steph....who in turn take pressure off everyone else.

Honestly the more I type about him I don't know if there is a better role player than him in the league right now....maybe it's Draymond but for sure Klay is the best 3 and D player the league has seen in a loooong time.

#20 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,383 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 28, 2016 - 08:56 AM

Klay is already one of the best shooters of all time and is only 26. They won a championship with him and got to the finals last year.

There is literally no reason to trade him because he is the perfect role player. Plays solid defense at multiple positions and makes you pay for leaving him open, which he inevitably will be with the system and roster they have. Not open? He moves the ball.

He was in a shooting slump earlier but I'd be absolutely shocked if he'd be considered for trade. He just fits way too perfectly on their roster and takes so much pressure off KD and Steph....who in turn take pressure off everyone else.

Honestly the more I type about him I don't know if there is a better role player than him in the league right now....maybe it's Draymond but for sure Klay is the best 3 and D player the league has seen in a loooong time.

I've always viewed Klay as the catalyst to that team. It's even more so the case now with Durant there. The only guy that you can confidently say is a better shooter than him in the entire league is on his same team.

You can force Draymond into shooting down their percentages. You can play physical with Steph and force him to work tirelessly for every single one of his baskets. You can put your biggest body on KD and make him shoot contested 2's rather than 3's in transition.

But when Klay is hitting contested close out 3's and dribble driving to open 12-15 footers, there's nothing you can do. You definitely can't afford the extra body to double team anyone on that team. He goes on runs where he can hit 3 or 4 big time shots in semi-transition and teams are left down by double digits in the blink of an eye. Jerry West knew exactly what he was doing when he avoided trading him.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users