33 replies to this topic

#21 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 12,207 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 17, 2016 - 04:50 AM

i'll be the first to tell you that this whole lebron thing is stupid, and we are all aware that there are people that will inappropriately pull the race card, but GAfan you sound like you're implying that racism basically doesn't exist anymore, and that everyone is out there making things up for some personal gain...if that's the case you are very mistaken

no one is taking anything away from veterans, not really related...based on this situation, yes it's dumb to call phil racist, and you could definitely argue that it's extreme to label donald trump a racist, but those of us who have experienced racism will tell you what's really disgusting...just because progress hasn't been made doesn't mean that things are ok everywhere...and i'm sorry, to imply that any of us would prefer to go back to a time where we were regularly murdered because of the color of our skin is so ridiculous it discounts anything your said really...that's offensive...easier?  

not going to bash you as a person, you're very much entitled to your opinion, but you're lacking information if you think everything is fine across the US...take it from real people that have actually experienced it, not just the idiots you see on tv.  

just because progress has been made doesn't mean that everything is a-ok

I never said, or implied that racism doesn't exist. Theres always someone out there who hates for the sake of ignorance and malcontent. But now a days, theres also many who want to exploit racism as some type of theoretical product so they can cash in. My point is as a society people shouldn't have to walk on egg shells every time they talk, in efforts of not offending someone who will accuse them of being a racist. And PJ's "hang with his posse" comment is a perfect example of that.

Look at the reaction....the news ate it up on all national formats. All because one person who lives in an echo chamber recycled what another man said and turned it into a racist comment. If Lebron doesn't call PJ's comments offensive is this an issue? So whos truly being supportive of racism Phil or Lebron? The old white guy or the young black guy? In this circumstance racism definitely exists....its just doesn't meet what the narrative of what racism is or what the MSM wants it to be. 

code_zpsj83hyqrt.jpg

#22 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,605 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 17, 2016 - 07:29 AM

the original statement came off as dismissive of racism as if it's not a big deal, or we're making it all up, and i don't think i was the only one who interpreted it that way.  there was no disclaimer or qualifier on your part really.  that's mostly all i was saying.  just because a few ignorant people screw it up shouldn't discount the real reality.  i figured you understood this as i figure you're a smart guy, but the previous statement was pretty broad and insensitive...wouldn't have even replied if you hadn't implied that we long for the days of lynching so that we use that to try to get ahead...i didn't really think you believe these things.  i said "it sounds like you're..." and "if that's the case" that you believe these things...

there are plenty of ignorant people of every race that try to take advantage of systems, etc...but don't let those people dictate the conversation on racism.  the labels that get thrown at donald trump, racist, xenophobe, sexist are all because of things he has physically done, or actually said...and as i said, you can argue that he isn't actually a racist in spite of some of these actions/words, and he very well may not be...but he hasn't made it easy on himself.  and i'm not talking about things like "build a wall" which in and of itself is not racist...

for me, i don't really care if people want to be racist in their own mind, in the privacy of their home, with their friends in a public place even when minorities aren't around so long as they're not hurting people physically or emotionally...but for someone who has displayed a relationship to some of these qualities in the past to be leading this country genuinely worries people who have had personal experiences with racism.  

i also don't really think the media, as ridiculous as it can be, bought into the idea that was phil jackson was a racist...they were just reporting on the story, i don't read much on this topic, but i definitely didn't see any articles agreeing with lebron...perhaps the statement was made to be inappropriate, but i don't think any media was really calling phil racist...if you ask anyone with sense, i think lebron came out looking worse than phil did.  

• Majesty likes this

Posted Image

#23 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,111 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 17, 2016 - 07:56 AM

So posse is racist now?I remember throughout the 90's and 2000's saying you were with your posse just meant your boys. Thanks PC culture, and Lebron is doing nothing but advancing that toxic crap. 

Edited by PhillyLaker24, November 17, 2016 - 07:57 AM.

• UKUGA likes this

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#24 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,124 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 17, 2016 - 11:14 AM

the original statement came off as dismissive of racism as if it's not a big deal, or we're making it all up, and i don't think i was the only one who interpreted it that way.  there was no disclaimer or qualifier on your part really.  that's mostly all i was saying.  just because a few ignorant people screw it up shouldn't discount the real reality.  i figured you understood this as i figure you're a smart guy, but the previous statement was pretty broad and insensitive...wouldn't have even replied if you hadn't implied that we long for the days of lynching so that we use that to try to get ahead...i didn't really think you believe these things.  i said "it sounds like you're..." and "if that's the case" that you believe these things...

there are plenty of ignorant people of every race that try to take advantage of systems, etc...but don't let those people dictate the conversation on racism.  the labels that get thrown at donald trump, racist, xenophobe, sexist are all because of things he has physically done, or actually said...and as i said, you can argue that he isn't actually a racist in spite of some of these actions/words, and he very well may not be...but he hasn't made it easy on himself.  and i'm not talking about things like "build a wall" which in and of itself is not racist...

for me, i don't really care if people want to be racist in their own mind, in the privacy of their home, with their friends in a public place even when minorities aren't around so long as they're not hurting people physically or emotionally...but for someone who has displayed a relationship to some of these qualities in the past to be leading this country genuinely worries people who have had personal experiences with racism.  

i also don't really think the media, as ridiculous as it can be, bought into the idea that was phil jackson was a racist...they were just reporting on the story, i don't read much on this topic, but i definitely didn't see any articles agreeing with lebron...perhaps the statement was made to be inappropriate, but i don't think any media was really calling phil racist...if you ask anyone with sense, i think lebron came out looking worse than phil did.  

This.

#25 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,124 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 17, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Why doesn't it surprise me that this is the one basketball related topic GAFan decides to chime in on.......

Also got a big kick out of his use of the word echo chamber.  

• RobBlake likes this

#26 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted November 17, 2016 - 08:53 PM

First thing I think of when I hear posse is the show Entourage......good show.

Yea this isn't racist at all......LBJ is just upset PJ called him a diva.

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

#27 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,802 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 18, 2016 - 12:19 AM

First thing I think of when I hear posse is the show Entourage......good show.

Yea this isn't racist at all......LBJ is just upset PJ called him a diva.

And in the end LeBron wins here becuase everyone is talking about the posse comment instead of how LeBron demands special treatment. Pitty becuase I think it's somthing that has been true yet never really talked about.
  • UKUGA, Majesty and lonlyamongus like this

#28 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 12,207 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 18, 2016 - 04:13 AM

First thing I think of when I hear posse is 

code_zpsj83hyqrt.jpg

#29 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,018 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 18, 2016 - 06:05 AM

I think it's also worth noting that when this story first broke, no one (that I can find) was referencing the "posse" comment.   Instead, it took a day, and Lebron's team (led by Paul, or Carter, I don't remember which one) expressed anger, then Lebron followed. 

Then, the media decided to discuss the "issue" and some acted angry. 

If posse was really a blatantly racist term, I think it would have jumped off the page and had people at ESPN salivating to discuss it as soon as the interview was posted. 

The ignore feature is a healthy alternative to feeding trolls. 

#30 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,216 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 20, 2016 - 06:50 PM

'Mission accomplished' says Phillip

#31 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,206 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 20, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Is it just me or is Lebron by far the most babied and spoon fed athlete in all sports? (in regards to media)

It's almost as if the media goes out of its way to praise him or take his side in any given ordeal...

#32 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 792 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted November 20, 2016 - 11:42 PM

Is it just me or is Lebron by far the most babied and spoon fed athlete in all sports? (in regards to media)

It's almost as if the media goes out of its way to praise him or take his side in any given ordeal...

no, that's Jordan
;)

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#33 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 1,962 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted November 21, 2016 - 12:13 AM

Yeah I don't agree with this at all, especially through that 2009-2014 period where it started with him not shaking anybodys hands at the end of the magic series to implying that he quit on the team the next year. Then we deff remember every little word and antic being taken apart and analyzed with his career as a heat. I think him coming back to his city and delivering them a title has gotten him back in the graces of the media after a rough period.

The truth with LeBron is everything he's done has been overblown to an insane degree whether it's good or bad. I don't think there's anybody in league history that has been under a bigger microscope since the beginning of his career.

Edited by stillshining, November 21, 2016 - 12:42 PM.

• PuigNotLate likes this

#34 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,443 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 21, 2016 - 04:36 PM

And in the end LeBron wins here becuase everyone is talking about the posse comment instead of how LeBron demands special treatment. Pitty becuase I think it's somthing that has been true yet never really talked about.

Gives a pretty good insight on how sports reporting actually works. LeBron won a title this year while Phil and the Knicks suck, so it's predetermined whose side they're gonna emphasize.

Try this in 2010 after we won our second title and I guarantee you Phil's side gets more attention.

•     likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users