Photo

LeBron says he lost respect for Phil Jackson

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 15, 2016 - 12:45 PM

Because Phil Jackson called his crew a 'posse'.

http://www.espn.com/...-partners-posse

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,660 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 15, 2016 - 12:52 PM

Phil criticises him and Lebrons defense is to make it a race thing to save face and change the subject on to phil. Nice try Lebron.

• UKUGA and Majesty like this

#3 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,839 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 15, 2016 - 12:57 PM

In no way was this racist. C'mon man

#4 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,561 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 15, 2016 - 01:00 PM

Since when is posse a bad word?

When is the media gonna start calling people on their [expletive] and stop letting them get offended for no damn reason. Racism exists, for sure. But to pull that card when the discussion has nothing to do with it isn't creating any positive ground. 

#5 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,137 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 15, 2016 - 01:12 PM

Incredibly weak and LeBron needs to seriously get called out on this in the media for trying to spin this into a race issue.

Holy [expletive] I forgot how soft this dude can get.

#6 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,632 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 15, 2016 - 01:20 PM

Was Phil semi- quoting Riley anyway?  if I quote someone who makes a racist comment (assuming it is), do I now own the statement?

Debbie Downer

#7 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted November 15, 2016 - 04:54 PM

Phil is at it lol. He used to do this a lot when he was playing mind games with other team's players or even owners (Cuban)

Lebron is straight up weak with his statement though.

fXlFKv8.gif

#8 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 15, 2016 - 06:15 PM

I think Maverick Carter blew it up not Lebron.  However the issue that people take is calling a crew of professional men a posse.  You dont see anyone calling anyone that associates with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning a "posse".  These dudes aren't just some lackeys that ride around mooching off Lebron.  Maverick Carter is his business manager and Rich Paul is his agent.  Both run their own legit businesses.  

As a black man I think them not getting taken seriously due to being friends with Lebron may have struck a cord.  I dont think Phil is racists for saying it but sometimes stereotypes are thrown out by people who aren't. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#9 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted November 16, 2016 - 04:43 AM

Yeah I can see where the man is coming from, posse seems like such a juvenile and careless word to use in that context. Like these dudes aren't accomplished business men who have made great strides in their field. I mean maybe you can say that when Bron first came into the league but him and his friends are 30+ year old grown men that have put in work without LeBron and I would've taken offense to that if I was them as well.

With the race card thing, like Jody said as a fellow African American I know what it feels like when you almost have to start behind the 8 ball to make it in this country and then when you finally make it to not be taken seriously and dismissed as some kind of smooching crew? We have to really look at who it's coming from and who it was intended towards, Phil is a huge pillar in NBA history and Bron must've taken it extra hard coming from him. Just a poor choice of words and it's not the first time phil has used it in this context, peep his book in 2004.

Edited by stillshining, November 16, 2016 - 04:44 AM.

#10 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,431 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 16, 2016 - 07:50 AM

Was Phil semi- quoting Riley anyway?  if I quote someone who makes a racist comment (assuming it is), do I now own the statement?

Danny Ferry says, "hi." 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#11 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,431 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 16, 2016 - 07:59 AM

My gut reaction (and apparently that of others in this thread) was that Lebron was unhappy that the story got out, and focused in on the word "posse", which isn't racist.  In fact, the connotation for most would be the wild west, not a group of modern-day African-Americans.

Just to show how ridiculous everyone gets . . . someone in the media asked Lebron if he thought Phil's comment had anything to do with Trump being elected . . . okay . . .

If you know anything about Phil Jackson, you know that he is tight with Bill Bradley, a former Democratic Senator from New York and presidential candidate in 2000.   And, if you read the article, for context, you'll note that the interview takes place one day after the election, and PJ notes that he was with Bill Bradley watching election results.

Who do you think he and Bill Bradley were pulling for?

But hey, this is America 2016 - the word posse is racist, and it's Donald Trump's fault - he inspired Phil Jackson to say it.

Another issue, though, is this . . . sure, these guys are accomplished, successful business men.  Fine.  Hooray for Lebron and his team. They are all successful, congratulations.

But, does every player travel with their agent, business manager, etc?

I think that's what Phil is referring to.   Lebron travels with his "team".  Most other players don't.  Lebron and his team carry more influence, and in this instance, something came up and he and his business team weren't catered to.  That may have impacted Lebron's decisions to leave Miami, and he is probably upset that Phil told the story to Jackie McMullan.

This isn't about race.  Until somebody makes it about race.

• Tensai likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#12 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,137 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 16, 2016 - 08:22 AM

Such sensitivity now.

First off LeBrons people are only successful because of LeBron. As if they'd have any success of the like if they didn't already know Bron when he was younger. I'm just being honest here, Bron put them on and their success really can't be compared to other people's success that they've built themselves. Guarantee there's some minority business owners snickering yesterday when they saw LeBrons people react to to Phil's quote.

Everyone wants to be so PC nowadays and now we're looking at the word posse as racist just because LeBrons camp got mad Phil called Bron out on being a diva.
  • bigvee and Tensai like this

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 16, 2016 - 10:55 AM

So now "Posse" is a 'buzz' word?

Maybe LeBron should look up the definition himself sometimes.

Posse:

1. a body of men, typically armed, summoned by a sheriff to enforce the law.

2. the body of men in a county whom the sheriff could summon to enforce the law.

3. a group of people who have a common characteristic, occupation, or purpose. aka "a posse of medical students"

So which one is the "offensive insulting" one that LeBron is talking about? Perhaps he needs some Webster in his life. LeBron and his group fall under the 3rd one quite perfectly.

If you TRULY want to find an offensive saying that goes by the 'wayside' in terms of insulting minorities, why not call out the people who act as if it's a compliment to them by saying they're "well-spoken" as if they aren't supposed to be, because they're a minority. THAT is more of an insult than freaking 'posse

• soldier4death likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#14 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,702 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 16, 2016 - 12:07 PM

and i've just lost respect for lebron...

• FranklinPeanuts, Majesty and Ventiquattro like this

Posted Image

#15 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted November 16, 2016 - 12:20 PM

and i've just lost respect for lebron...

Yup.

#16 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 12,219 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 16, 2016 - 05:50 PM

So now Phil Jackson is a racist to....lol
Maybe he can go get a job in Trumps cabinet.
This [expletive] is getting old.
Lets be real, there's certain minorities and minority groups that look for reasons to be the victim and blame someone for racism or sexism or some other word that ends in "ism". Its basically race baiters marketing their agendas. And every once in a while a big star like Lebron buys it, re packages it, and gives them creedance.
At this point the portrayal of bigotphobia is getting disgusting. I believe since there really isn't any klansman stringing up blacks with ropes anymore, certain special interest minority groups have to dig deeper to fabricate the "villains" they need to stay relevant. So deep down, they dislike the progress society has made. It was easier for them when such atrocities actually happened.

Go to a vets cemetery. See the crosses? That's every race and creed who fought and died together, side by side, for us, and for these special interest minority race baiters to vilify someone like Trump, Phil Jackson, etc for talking and saying words that they paint as offensive.
Give it a rest.
Wake up minorities, your being hustled. Jmho.

code_zpsj83hyqrt.jpg

#17 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 16, 2016 - 06:09 PM

Everyone has said something intelligent about the situation except you coming with some pro - racist rhetoric

Edited by Game, November 16, 2016 - 06:43 PM.
uncalled for...discuss/debate without insults, negativity, attack arguments not people

#18 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,702 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 16, 2016 - 07:04 PM

i'll be the first to tell you that this whole lebron thing is stupid, and we are all aware that there are people that will inappropriately pull the race card, but GAfan you sound like you're implying that racism basically doesn't exist anymore, and that everyone is out there making things up for some personal gain...if that's the case you are very mistaken

no one is taking anything away from veterans, not really related...based on this situation, yes it's dumb to call phil racist, and you could definitely argue that it's extreme to label donald trump a racist, but those of us who have experienced racism will tell you what's really disgusting...just because progress hasn't been made doesn't mean that things are ok everywhere...and i'm sorry, to imply that any of us would prefer to go back to a time where we were regularly murdered because of the color of our skin is so ridiculous it discounts anything your said really...that's offensive...easier?  

not going to bash you as a person, you're very much entitled to your opinion, but you're lacking information if you think everything is fine across the US...take it from real people that have actually experienced it, not just the idiots you see on tv.  

just because progress has been made doesn't mean that everything is a-ok

• Yaboy, bigvee,     and 3 others like this

Posted Image

#19 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted November 16, 2016 - 08:20 PM

lebronbtch22.png

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#20 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted November 16, 2016 - 10:48 PM

Here's Stan Van Gundys take:

"I'm going to be perfectly honest here, I've used that word before, OK," Van Gundy said , "and when that all came out I had to ask myself, have I ever used that word before with a white player, and the answer is no. So, I think, look, you have to be aware of the language and you have to be aware a little bit of your own biases if you're going to overcome them and so I took that seriously."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users