Photo

Shaquille O'Neal says Kings could go in 'another direction' with DeMarcus Cousins

demarcus cousins

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 197 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2016 - 08:32 AM

On Thursday night's "Inside the NBA," NBA Hall of Famer and Kings minority owner Shaquille O'Neal described Kings center DeMarcus Cousins as a "hot head" and said he lacked leadership.

"In the previous years, he's been hot-headed, he hasn't shown great leadership qualities," O'Neal said. Furthermore, O'Neal said that the team may actually look to trade Cousins if the situation doesn't improve.

"I'm hearing talk that if things don't start to become correct, then they may be looking in another direction."

Now, coming from O'Neal under any circumstances, that's an eyebrow-raising notion. He's a connected, well-respected former player. But given his relationship with the Kings, it makes it even more interesting. However, there's no way to know whether Shaq has direct knowledge of the situation and whether that's really what's going on.

Also, it should be noted that the Kings' minority ownership group has always been a leaky bunch; that's fairly well known in NBA circles.

It makes sense, though. The problems with Cousins have been going on for years. The team is bad so Cousins gets frustrated, plays like a hot-headed lunatic who lazes on defense, the team suffers, which frustrates him, and the cycle repeats.

The Kings had some fight the first two weeks of the season, but then lost back to back to the Lakers and Blazers in disappointing fashion. They just can't seem to get the team turned around. The best way to do so might be to make a trade and start fresh.

Cousins' attitude likely improves elsewhere, and that would infuriate Kings fans as he shows maturity with a winning team the way they wished he had in Sacramento. But sometimes a guys just has to change scenery before his career can start that next phase.

http://www.cbssports...marcus-cousins/

https://www.youtube....h?v=IYEYhe_vs2o

Edited by dbtbandit67, November 13, 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#2 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 6,674 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 09:27 AM

http://www.espn.com/...tradeId=zutpls4

Kings get: Brandon Knight, Dragan Bender, filler + Suns 2017, 2018 pick

Suns get: DeMarcus Cousins, filler

This is probably the only deal that helps them both now and in future. Cousins could thrive having a guard like Booker next to him. Tyson Chandler can be a good mentor and a player that can rest him.

fXlFKv8.gif

#3 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Hall Of Fame

• 9,914 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 13, 2016 - 10:48 AM

Why not Portland? Just seems like him, Lillard and Mcullom would be a nice tandem

#4 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 6,674 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 10:56 AM

And who is Portland supposed to give to Kings in that deal?

fXlFKv8.gif

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 53,018 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 13, 2016 - 11:31 AM

How about OKC  :D   

Thunder Get: 
DeMarcus Cousins
Ben McLemore 

Kings Get: 
Enes Kanter
Steven Adams 
Nick Collison
Anthony Morrow 

Andre Roberson 
Future 1st Round Pick 

76ers Get:
Tyreke Evans 
Omri Casspi 

Pelicans Get: 
Rudy Gay 

Malachi Richardson

:glasses:

:ph34r:

:huh:

Edited by Majesty, November 13, 2016 - 11:37 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#6 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,021 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 13, 2016 - 11:48 AM

^

Only Maj

• Majesty likes this

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Hockey stick growth curve for Randle, D'lo, Nance and Clarkson ASAP) 2. Miracle Trade (Lakers need a top 10 player...or maybe 2 to compete w bigboys) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Ingram and Zubac getting playing time and impacting games)

READY FOR SEASON!

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 53,018 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 12:11 PM

^

Only Maj

of course :P

best part is that both Cousins and Westbrook would be UFA at the same time :D 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#8 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 197 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 12:57 PM

I think a good chess move on our part is to have some of our front office guys publically express their affinity for Cousins.

That way, we don't give up anything to get him AND he won't sign long-term anywhere until receiving an offer from us first.

#9 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 197 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 12:59 PM

And Demarcus' behavioral issues are gonna persist anywhere that's not a contender.

And I don't see OKC giving up Adams and Roberson to get him when they can just pursue Blake in the offseason and not give up those guys.

#10 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 197 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 12:59 PM

Common Mitch, send Demarcus a fruit basket or something lol

#11 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,412 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 13, 2016 - 01:45 PM

Westbrook and Cousins is actually interesting. I'm not sure how well Westbrook would take having his pals traded away though, seems like they're all really close now that Durant has left.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 53,018 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 02:24 PM

Westbrook and Cousins is actually interesting. I'm not sure how well Westbrook would take having his pals traded away though, seems like they're all really close now that Durant has left.

It would be interesting actually eventhough I was just joking. 

It would seem as though I've been challenged to just for the heck of it throw Rudy Gay on the Thunder too while we're at it in the avenues of ridiculousness.  So if you need something to smile at for the day, here you go :P 

OKC Thunder Get: 
Rudy Gay 
DeMarcus Cousins 
Malachi Richardson 

Sacramento Kings Get: 
Jrue Holiday 
Steven Adams 
Victor Oladipo 
Enes Kanter 
Nick Collison 
Andre Roberson 
Future 1st Round Pick 

Philadelphia 76ers Get: 
Tyreke Evans 
Anthony Morrow 
Omri Casspi 
Georgios Papagiannis 

New Orleans Pelicans Get: 
Darren Collison 
Willie Cauley-Stein 
Kosta Koufos 
Ben McLemore 

Have fun 

giphy.gif

;) 

#13 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,274 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 13, 2016 - 03:07 PM

I know Maj is joking, but OKC wouldn't trade Adams for Cousins.  In fact, I wouldn't, especially if I'm already housing Russ.  On the floor, and in the locker room, that's a conflict that may cause far more headache than success down the road.  Kobe and Shaq hated each other, and were two alphas, but they were so damn good as individual players that it really didn't matter.  Westbrook isn't Kobe, Cousins is nowhere near Shaq, and Phil doesn't coach.  It's extremely rare that two players, like these, get along and contend the way Kobe/Shaq did.  Ultimately, the Thunder are contenders as they stand.

There are plenty of teams that could use DC, though...and while we're mentioning that, one is in DC.  I would be intrigued to see how a tandem of Cousins and Gortat would look in Washington.  The way the Wiz have constructed their offense, and the way Cousins plays all over the floor, could make things work for the both of them.  It wouldn't necessarily make them the second-best team in the East, but they wouldn't be so awful at scoring the ball, either.

• Majesty and lonlyamongus like this

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 53,018 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 03:11 PM

If Washington did get Cousins I'd assume that Beal, Mahimi and Oubre would be the ones on the outs along with a pick.  

Washington might just do that however, before Beal loses his value as him and Wall just don't seem to work together unless there's a veteran there to rite the ship. 

#15 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,021 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 13, 2016 - 03:19 PM

I feel OKC comes back to 500 ball.

I just dont see how they keep up pace.

Westbrook or no westbrook.

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Hockey stick growth curve for Randle, D'lo, Nance and Clarkson ASAP) 2. Miracle Trade (Lakers need a top 10 player...or maybe 2 to compete w bigboys) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Ingram and Zubac getting playing time and impacting games)

READY FOR SEASON!

#16 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,412 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 13, 2016 - 03:49 PM

I feel OKC comes back to 500 ball.

I just dont see how they keep up pace.

Westbrook or no westbrook.

I mean that's what it's gonna come down to. Whichever team is playing the worst by around the deadline is gonna package anything they can for Cousins in hopes for a playoff run

#17 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,274 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted November 13, 2016 - 04:13 PM

The guy is a cancer and lacks the character or maturity to be a part of a winning tradition. Stay very far away.

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#18 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,822 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 13, 2016 - 08:44 PM

I think Boston has a good chance at landing him as well.

Jaylen Brown, Brooklyn '17, '18 and a bunch of fillers.

Or how about:

Mozgov, Randle and the 2017 pick (if we manage to land it)?

#19 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,668 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 14, 2016 - 02:54 AM

I wouldn't trade any of our young guys for Cousins.
Not that he is a cancer, I just think he doesn't fit what we want to do.
The chemistry we are developing is worth more than a talent upgrade.

When Russell and Ingram become the shooters they are destined to become, Randle becomes more dangerous

#20 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,223 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted November 14, 2016 - 12:02 PM

don't think OKC is willingt to trade both of their bigs for cousin.  Doesn't seem worth it.  Rudy Gay is a ballhog who can only score.  (you have WB for that and he does it way better than Gay)  it would be bad for OKC.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users