• Please log in to reply
662 replies to this topic

#21 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,873 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 09:58 PM

Playoffs.

Why would we want to continue to lose? We're young enough. We drafted future stars.

• UKUGA likes this

#22 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,274 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted November 07, 2016 - 02:51 PM

But it's not wanting to lose but the obvious, we are going to lose some games, so if push comes to shove I want the pick, we need more quality players and it's time to strike the hidden gem, the jackpot player or trade the pick and maybe a player for an established star. I just saying don't be "Prisoner of the Moment" yes it's very encouraging that the team is playing with more energy and are winning some games that used to slip through our fingers, no pun intended. Just being more pragmatic and remember the years of not building with a core, so lets add too it, if it was win or lose one game, I'm certain the players and management would go all out to win, if only to salvage their reputations or whats left of em. If this team surprises me and runs off ten or so in a row then I'll come around to your way of thinking. We are in the Western Conference will this team beat the Spurs, Warriors, clippers in a series?  If not then lets make one that will. Peace out and crush the Mavs! Go Lakers!

#23 thrilla86

thrilla86

Rookie

• 254 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 07, 2016 - 02:56 PM

Anyone who thinks getting the 3rd pick is more valuable than making the playoffs is absurd.  Our young guys need to feel what it's like to have success, to make the playoffs would be a HUGE win for our franchise right now.  They need the experience.

We are definitely closer to battling for the 8th seed then we are to battling for the 3rd pick. 

#24 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,274 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted November 07, 2016 - 03:12 PM

You don't get the third pick but a lottery chance,(It could be number one) and I do see some minimal value in making the playoffs but not looking through purple tinted glasses. 

#25 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 53,117 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 07, 2016 - 03:40 PM

There is no minimal value from going from a 17 win team to a playoff team in the span of one off-season.   None.   That is probably one of the greatest values you could ever accomplish. 

Edited by Majesty, November 07, 2016 - 03:40 PM.

• thrilla86 likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#26 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,136 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 07, 2016 - 05:22 PM

Not to mention a 25-30 game improvement which is what it would take to make playoffs this season would certainly get the attention of bigtime free agents we would want.

Thats much more important than just making playoffs and winning a game

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#27 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 22,723 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 05:30 PM

You don't get the third pick but a lottery chance,(It could be number one) and I do see some minimal value in making the playoffs but not looking through purple tinted glasses.

The pick is of minimal value. Playoffs do multiple things. Provide experience for our youth, create winning culture, and make the Lakers more appealing to big free agents

Losing simply gets us a pick. A player that is a complete unknown

So far we've been pretty lucky, Randle and Russell look potentially very good. Clarkspn and nance are very impressive steals. Zubac is potentially nice. Ingram is growing

We don't need more youth. We have enough of it. We need to start changing the culture not only for this team but for the perception around the league

Right now we are looked at as a floundering franchise with a disorganized front office

Losing more isn't going to do anything but give us yet another pick while continuing to have our players get used to losing and have players around the league want nothing to do with us
  • Majesty likes this
Posted Image

#28 dazz

dazz

Rookie

• 943 posts
  • Fan Since:Mid 80's

Posted November 07, 2016 - 05:35 PM

F the pick.

lakersbanner2.jpg

#29 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,839 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 07, 2016 - 05:41 PM

So if the draft pick is a Karl Anthony-Davis , that isn't better than winning a playoff game?

#30 dazz

dazz

Rookie

• 943 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 05:45 PM

So if the draft pick is a Karl Anthony-Davis , that isn't better than winning a playoff game?

No, because making the playoffs means that our youngsters panned out. That's 6 picks vs 1, and who knows if that one pick might be a bust

lakersbanner2.jpg

#31 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 22,723 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 05:47 PM

How often does that happen?
Posted Image

#32 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,359 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 07, 2016 - 05:52 PM

OKC drafted Durant and Westbrook, went on to lose a lot of games and then drafted Harden. We've drafted Russell and Ingram, and if we keep the pick could draft another all star caliber player. Now the Thunder didn't try to lose games intentionally to draft low, but you can't tell me that it would have been better for them to finish 10th than draft Harden. Now I know they traded him but that's not the point, the point is if we can get an all star for free essentially, there's no harm. 

We shouldn't tank like Philly, but I think keeping the pick is the best outcome. 

#33 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,305 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted November 07, 2016 - 05:53 PM

im happy with our young core now and will be hoping for a good mature talent in free agency 

ap1.png

#34 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,839 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 06:08 PM

How often does that happen?

Every couple of years

#35 dazz

dazz

Rookie

• 943 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 06:38 PM

Every couple of years

Let's run the math. If a gem comes up "every couple of years" there's a 50% chance there will be one up for grabs in the next draft. 

Let's be generous and assume it must be one of the top 3 picks. 50/3=16.67%

Now if we suck so bad that we land the 5th seed, we'd have a 30% chance of keeping the top 3 pick.

0.3 times 16.67% = 5%

So 5% odds of landing an impact player... I think I'm gonna pass. It's far more probable we'll lose the pick anyway

lakersbanner2.jpg

#36 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,720 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 07, 2016 - 06:50 PM

Let's run the math. If a gem comes up "every couple of years" there's a 50% chance there will be one up for grabs in the next draft. 

Let's be generous and assume it must be one of the top 3 picks. 50/3=16.67%

Now if we suck so bad that we land the 5th seed, we'd have a 30% chance of keeping the top 3 pick.

0.3 times 16.67% = 5%

So 5% odds of landing an impact player... I think I'm gonna pass. It's far more probable we'll lose the pick anyway

Especially when we could just sign a solid FA which will be much easier because we would have a decent record and a respected coach that players like. 

#37 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 424 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Ingram

Posted November 07, 2016 - 07:02 PM

I think people will stop talking about the possibility of retaining this pick in January/Feb.

Their young core is solid, they don't need to keeping dipping into that well.

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#38 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,324 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 07, 2016 - 07:19 PM

That's an extreme hypothetical for one.  The team has drafted well the last 3 years and has flexibility until they have to start paying the current young guys til the Summer of 2018.  Now is the time to look like a competent team.  This team making the playoffs or close to it this is a better scenario than the possible lottery.  Even with worst record they have to get real lucky again.  

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#39 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 14,671 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 07, 2016 - 07:20 PM

No more youth - time to develop whatever they have now and bring veterans in.

• Majesty likes this

#40 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,839 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 07:35 PM

If we got the next great player in the draft, I would be ecstatic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users