662 replies to this topic

#1 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,419 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted November 05, 2016 - 03:18 PM

Sorry for the long title. But theres at least two ways to look at this. We Laker fans want to get back to greatness and parades, but it's a process, we've been spoiled and now we join the rest of the NBA. With the way the team is rising up, its much easier to watch now than any game last season. This new attitude reflects in less selfish play and a little better on defense. I'd like to keep the pick and finish the season in just enough of a win total to ensure that, rather than be the eighth seed. Even though the playoff experience is valuble it would most likely be short lived.  The Spurs Warriors Grizz, won't play like the last Warrior game. I think we're two players away, I see DLo more as a two so far, and Nance is on fire! JC has been very professional coming off the bench, and LOU Boy you may have defensive holes but you are superb at drawing the foul on threes. Nick Young has been a nice surprise, no more Swaggy nonsense, let your game do the swaggin'! Lots of promise, but as I said I'd love another pick PG or SF probably. Giles is through two acls, I'll only watch the teams with players who could potentially get a Laker uni. Go Lakers!!!

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,438 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 05, 2016 - 05:49 PM

I'd say keep the pick for the long term anyways. Most people won't agree with me and would call for Luke's head. 

1. Keeping the pick nets us more future talent to develop and grow.

2. However, doing so would make us seem less attractive to free agents compared to other young up and coming teams like Minnesota.

However, I think the benefits of the pick make the downsides worthwhile. 

#3 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 22,784 posts

Posted November 05, 2016 - 06:08 PM

Make the playoffs no question. Half of our team is youth.

Black
Nance
Ingram
Russell
Randle
Zubac

Don't need anymore. Being in the lottery will do more harm than good. These players we have. Especially the 2 #2 picks and our #7 pick need to experience success or you're solidifying a losing culture.

These young players need to learn what winning feels like and how to win
  • JGuez, lakersp4p, Bishop* and 2 others like this
Posted Image

#4 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,224 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 05, 2016 - 07:05 PM

No way. Put the pedal to the metal and win as much as we can. We need to develop that winning culture asap.

#5 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,539 posts

Posted November 05, 2016 - 07:28 PM

Playoffs...by far. This team needs to gain experience and win as much as they can. Even if they got absolutely demolished in the 1st round, they would at least get those initial Playoff jitters out and be ready for next season/Playoffs. 

Also, we'd be in a position to attract free agents (not necessarily stars, but it's possible) and improve the team even more.

A draft pick is nice in terms of potential and trade value, but it's highly unlikely it will provide us with immediate success. We're already waiting on so much youth to develop. 

•     and MaceWindu like this

#6 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,081 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 05, 2016 - 10:19 PM

They have to try and win as much as possible even though that might end up with us looking at giving away a lottery pick. Havent felt that way in quite some time.

That said, the front office (NOT the team or Luke) should be opportunistic in terms of making moves this season. Perhaps try to sell the top 3 protection back to Philly, if we can. Many teams could be looking at having a fire-sale (Mavs, Heat, Wizards, Pellies etc.) and in that regard we could look to add a guy or two. That said, if we start moving into the bottom 5 i think they could sell high on some of our guys (Lou, Swaggy, etc.) and hope that gives us the extra losses needed to be in the mix for the top 3 pick.

#7 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,438 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted November 05, 2016 - 11:35 PM

Getting a top pick in the draft would definitely better long term than finishing as a 10th seed. We could potentially add another all star caliber player for free. 

#8 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,754 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted November 05, 2016 - 11:43 PM

We have enough young players to build something for us. All they need is experience and what better way to get experience other than tha playoffs ? But make no mistake, making the playoffs will be extremely hard, we have a long way to go. Don't get overexcited after only 6 games.

#9 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 2,179 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted November 06, 2016 - 05:02 AM

It's time to end the rebuild, start winning games. We have more than enough young talent. 

• Saber likes this
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 53,217 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 06, 2016 - 07:19 AM

Playoffs by far. It means we're closer to getting to where we need to be. So what of make the playoffs but lost in the 1st round? It means we can come back next year and do even better and are actually building to something.

The trap is assuming falling into a bottom 3 pick adds more talent. What they need to understand is that talent is non guaranteed and a 4-5 year investment till it means something significant most of the time.

But if we make the playoffs it means we HAVE the talent and just need to make the right moves in free agency to put us over the top. The benefit is that we also get free agents to pay attention to us and actually sit and talk.

So yeah playoffs for sure. If we somehow made the playoffs this and next year suddenly all the big time free agents thay didn't give us the time of day suddenly actually may consider us. And do so beyond "We're the Lakers".

Heck even going from Bottom 3 last year to 10th in the West would be such a monumental turnaround it means we could fight for the playoffs the following year and thus if we made it, get some free agency attention we otherwise wouldn't have.

Edited by Majesty, November 06, 2016 - 07:22 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#11 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,182 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 08:00 AM

This has been a discussion topic in several threads already.

fXlFKv8.gif

#12 lildvl10

lildvl10

Sixth Man

• 3,001 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted November 06, 2016 - 08:22 AM

We have enough young talent, what we need is a free agent that will take us over the top and being in the playoffs will surely help us with that along with the experience were gonna get. realistically, IF we get the 3rd seed.. do you guys really think we can keep russell,clarkson, nance, randle, ingram, zubac and that 1-3rd pick?? Trade piece yeah, but were not even sure if we can keep the pick. I say go for the playoffs, it will be good for the players and their future and for the fans

#13 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,419 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 09:34 AM

Agree top tier FA would make the fastest change. But if it came down to winning one more game or getting pick, I'm voting get pick for trade or development. I'm not a POM, I know what I see and what I don't. 😨Not a a perrenial contender, but enter the Land of Mediocrity. So we can agree to dis-agree.

#14 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 4,843 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted November 06, 2016 - 09:57 AM

if we have the chance to make the playoffs lets do it.. 

we ve had enough years of tanking and losing..

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#15 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,419 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 01:08 PM

In a galaxy far far away....

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 22,784 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 01:41 PM

Getting a top pick in the draft would definitely better long term than finishing as a 10th seed. We could potentially add another all star caliber player for free.

It's statistically more likely that we make the playoffs than keep the pick firstly

Secondly. I'd take Russell and Ingram over thepotential draft picks as of now.

And they need to learn what it's like to win
Posted Image

#17 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,806 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 06, 2016 - 02:37 PM

What position do we need another young talent at? 

PG- Russel

SG-Clarkson

SF-Ingram

PF-Randle and Nance

C-Zubac

The weakest spot is probably Zubac at center and there isn't even a decent center prospect in the next draft. There is no true benefit to going for a top 3 pick. They would be struggling to get any minutes with our squad. We are pretty deep team. There is a reason why we have the #1 bench scoring in the league right now. This team doesn't need more young talent, they just need a little more time and experience. Nothing gives young players more experience than playing in the playoffs. People are getting too used to losing. Shouldn't be an acceptable option anymore. I'm fine with us missing the playoffs but if we have a sub 25 win season then we failed big time.

#18 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,419 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Estimation of 45+ wins for eighth spot in West

#19 M.X.M.

M.X.M.

@WeCarpeDiem

• 3,845 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted November 06, 2016 - 07:10 PM

Playoffs. I'm sick of not seeing the lakers in the playoffs. I don't care if we get swept in the first round. We need to make some noise and add a winning culture to our youth. We can't rely on draft picks.

When will it stop? We can't be the sixers. We are one of the youngest team in the league. All we need to do is win and add the missing holes for the years to come so we can compete for a ring.

IG: @WeCarpeDiem 

Twitter: @WeCarpeDiem

#20 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,026 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 06, 2016 - 07:52 PM

Why are we even discussing this?

Play to the best of our ability. 

If we miss the play-offs, then hope for lottery luck. 

We are nowhere near a bottom 3 team anymore.  We just aren't.

Time to start winning as consistently as possible. 

The ignore feature is a healthy alternative to feeding trolls. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users