15 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,939 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 01, 2016 - 11:00 PM

The trade: Tarik Black, Lou Williams and removal of protection for Nerlens Noel.

Why, Philly: They get a young back-up 5 in Tarik and a productive combo guard (and former Sixer) in Lou as well as a guaranteed first round pick. They could very well get the Laker pick this summer anyway as we probably will finish in the 3-6 worst range, but as with all drafts the real price is usually at the top and if they could increase the odds of landing Markelle Fultz, that could make this a decent gamble. Of course, they wont have to pay a relatively unhappy Nerlens Noel a boatload of money either.

Why not, Philly: Nerlens Noel is a valuable piece and a good fit with Embiid and Philly hopes to move Okafor instead. Also, by moving Noel the Lakers could improve enough that the pick falls well out of the top 5, which the Sixers would have received anyway.

Why, Lakers: There is a good chance we fall right out of the bottom 3 and miss out on the pick. Therefore turning it into something productive now might make sense. Nerlens is 22 so he fits the age profile of our young squad and he gives us a legitimate defensive 5 who would be a good fit next to Randle going forward. Russell-Clarkson-Ingram-Randle-Noel would be the Laker team of the future.

Why not, Lakers: Mozzy is the starting 5 and adding Noel could give some problems in that regard. Also, looking around the league it’s tough to see all that many teams that are worse than us, so there is a good chance we get to keep the pick, again. Fultz, J.Jackson or Giles all have much greater upside than Noel and would be a welcome addition. Also, guys like Ibaka (FA in '17) or Cousins ('18) could be in the Lakers' sights, which makes Noel a bad Investment.

What do you think?

• Jackson likes this

#2 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 836 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted November 02, 2016 - 12:35 AM

There is no way Philly sends Noel to us for just that. Noel is a future dpoy in the making. I don't think we can pay that Laker team lineup long term either. If we can get him without giving up one of our young core. Lakers going to come back from the grave in 3 years.

• DanishLakerFan likes this

#3 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,088 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 02, 2016 - 12:36 AM

This is actually very interesting...

• DanishLakerFan likes this

#4 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,939 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 05:14 AM

There is no way Philly sends Noel to us for just that. Noel is a future dpoy in the making. I don't think we can pay that Laker team lineup long term either. If we can get him without giving up one of our young core. Lakers going to come back from the grave in 3 years.

Noel is a nice player, but he has his issues on the offensive end and I’d take a guy like Fultz, Josh Jackson or Harry Giles (and their 5yr rookie deals) over Noel in a heartbeat and save the money for Ibaka in ’17 or Boogie in ‘18. That said, now that we don’t have that pick it’s different story.  

They would probably try to find a better deal, of course. But since their core guys all are rookies such as Simmons, Saric, Embiid (and Okafor) I think it would make sense for them to find a player that fits the trajectory of those guys. In the top of the 2017 draft you have a few guys that would be ideal on that team such as Fultz, Dennis Smith and Josh Jackson.

In terms of being able to pay those guys i don’t think it’s a problem at all. We have plenty of cap space for 17/18 to max Noel, in 18/19 we could max Randle and still have be under the tax line. In 19/20 we’d be over the tax, but by then Mozzy, Clarkson and Deng are on the last year of their deals and could probably be moved if need be.

I think the biggest issue with a deal like this is that it is risky and will result in either the Lakers giving up what turns out to be a top 3 pick for Nerlens or Philly giving away Noel for a pick that is theirs anyway.

#5 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 5,852 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 06:28 AM

Noel is always injured. Thats very concerning. However,Im not sure if i'd do the trade.

for the Lakers: They get a relatively Young 5 who can rebound and block.

For the Sixers: After adding Elyasova, Williams will space the floor for Embiid and provide offense along with Joel and Simmons. If they can trade Okafor for a wing, it would be a better balance for the sixers. All would go wrong if they traded both and Embiid gets injured yet again. Thats why I dont expect a deal to happen until february until they evaluate Embiid's health. Though I see Sixers keeping one of the two(Noel most likely) until next year's deadline.

Why not for the Lakers? They'll part with the pick for a backup 5. Not a good investment.

Why not for Sixers? They cant guarantee Embiid's health and probably Noel is a better fit with Simmons than Okafor, whom I believe will be traded out of the two.

Personally, I'd wait until February to see where the Lakers stand but It comes at cost. If Sixers are ranked dead last, the protection would be meaningless to them as they have a higher chance to get the pick anyway, and might ask for more.

#6 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,720 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 02, 2016 - 06:50 AM

Anything with Noel would have to involved Nance. And Noel is a RFA next year so we could lose him to a huge offer right away. He would be off the bench here so I would guess he would leave to be a starter else where. Too risky of a trade for me. 

#7 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,939 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 09:21 AM

Anything with Noel would have to involved Nance. And Noel is a RFA next year so we could lose him to a huge offer right away. He would be off the bench here so I would guess he would leave to be a starter else where. Too risky of a trade for me.

Nance or Zubac. Sure.  In terms of keeping Noel, i think the idea would be to match any offer and make him a starter over Mozzy.

#8 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,422 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 02, 2016 - 11:05 AM

Philly doesn't need anymore bigs. There's no trade where they'd take back another big for Noel

#9 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,046 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted November 02, 2016 - 11:39 AM

I feel like a more logical trade would be Noel for Brandon Knight.  Phoenix has Booker now, Chandler is washed up, and Philly needs guard help.  I don't think Knight is in the Sun's long term plans and Noel improves their terrible defense.    

Edited by lakerfan98, November 02, 2016 - 11:41 AM.

• LakerGeezer likes this

#10 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,422 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 02, 2016 - 11:58 AM

I feel like a more logical trade would be Noel for Brandon Knight. Phoenix has Booker now, Chandler is washed up, and Philly needs guard help. I don't think Knight is in the Sun's long term plans and Noel improves their terrible defense.

Tyson Chandler is still one of the best big men defenders in the league when healthy. He is a liability on offense though so it would make sense for them. This is the type of trade I see happening, a scoring/combo guard for Noel

#11 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted November 02, 2016 - 12:10 PM

I think Lakers already have the defensive big in Zublock.
Patience is a virtue.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#12 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,619 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 15, 2016 - 01:30 PM

I feel like a more logical trade would be Noel for Brandon Knight.  Phoenix has Booker now, Chandler is washed up, and Philly needs guard help.  I don't think Knight is in the Sun's long term plans and Noel improves their terrible defense.    

This one makes alot of sense for both teams, and the players involved.

Debbie Downer

#13 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,137 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 15, 2016 - 05:53 PM

I feel like Philly loses on that deal. Noel is getting paid this summer but he has legit all defensive potential at the 5 and Knight may be maxed out as a player.

Noel has much more value in the league moving forward and I feel like Philly would have made that deal by now if they wanted it.

#14 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,088 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 09:54 PM

I feel like Philly loses on that deal. Noel is getting paid this summer but he has legit all defensive potential at the 5 and Knight may be maxed out as a player.

Noel has much more value in the league moving forward and I feel like Philly would have made that deal by now if they wanted it.

Regardless of Noel's defensive potential, Embiid is a much more promising prospect and will eventually cover a majority of the minutes at the 5.  Out of Embiid, Okafor, and Noel... Noel is undoubtedly has the least overall potential.  This would be a good issue to have... but when you're a 76ers team with literally 0 perimeter threat, you have to suck it up and trade away one of them...

Noel for a Brandon Knight type is ideal for both teams.  I actually think that's probably one of the most logical trade I've ever seen presented on this site haha

#15 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,137 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 21, 2016 - 10:54 AM

Regardless of Noel's defensive potential, Embiid is a much more promising prospect and will eventually cover a majority of the minutes at the 5. Out of Embiid, Okafor, and Noel... Noel is undoubtedly has the least overall potential. This would be a good issue to have... but when you're a 76ers team with literally 0 perimeter threat, you have to suck it up and trade away one of them...

Noel for a Brandon Knight type is ideal for both teams. I actually think that's probably one of the most logical trade I've ever seen presented on this site haha

Regardless of Embiid's potential, they're not selling short on him for Brandon Knight, who's been complete trash this season. If they wanted it, it would have already went down. Philly execs would rather have Embiid being fed by the likes of Rodriguez than pull the trigger on Knight and sell short, which is what has exactly happened. Sign and trade is a much better option for them this off-season, and they know it.

#16 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,088 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 12:41 PM

Regardless of Embiid's potential, they're not selling short on him for Brandon Knight, who's been complete trash this season. If they wanted it, it would have already went down. Philly execs would rather have Embiid being fed by the likes of Rodriguez than pull the trigger on Knight and sell short, which is what has exactly happened. Sign and trade is a much better option for them this off-season, and they know it.

Let's be honest... the 76ers don't care about winning at the moment... they're fine with tanking so what they do and don't do in the trade market is irrelevant anyways haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users