Harden

#82 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,281 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 03, 2016 - 11:17 AM

Win totals don't matter and OKC isn't exactly devoid of talent either.  They haven't given the MVP to a player on a team that has been less than 3rd seed in over 30 years.  Unless they want to change it this year then it's very unlikely Russell wins the MVP.  I dont see them getting the 3rd seed either.  

If Westbrook leads Thunder to 50+ win, he will get it. The story and impact go together in deciding these awards. And Westbrook has going it for him by far.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#83 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,281 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 11:18 AM

https://www.reddit.c...g_of_past_mvps/

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#84 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,281 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 11:20 AM

KD has been the Dubs best player on both sides of the ball this year and it's really not even close. 

#85 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted December 03, 2016 - 11:56 AM

Win totals don't matter and OKC isn't exactly devoid of talent either.  They haven't given the MVP to a player on a team that has been less than 3rd seed in over 30 years.  Unless they want to change it this year then it's very unlikely Russell wins the MVP.  I dont see them getting the 3rd seed either.  

Has anyone from teams 3-8 been close to Westbrooks numbers though?

I'm guessing no.

Not saying its an easy decision for voters, but IF stats stay like this he gets A LOT of votes.

Maybe even a case where enough 2nd and 3rd place votes pushes him to win overall

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#86 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,550 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 02:07 PM

KD was my pre-season pick because he was going to be a absolutely dominant player on a 65-70 win team. However, let's think about something.

If Westbrook does something that hasn't been done since the 1960's (by arguably a top 15-20 talent)...then I think voters should consider doing something that hasn't been done in 30 years and award the MVP to someone outside of the top 3.

If he averages a triple double and OKC finishes 5-6...who is doing something on his level that's enough to negate that and justify passing him up? If it was instance like Curry last year (setting records, 73 wins etc etc)...that's totally understandable. But who is going to be making history this season besides Westbrook? I think he's as good of a candidate as anyone, and the voters will definitely take notice of his season.

Edited by Massacre, December 03, 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#87 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 03:06 PM

KD was my pre-season pick because he was going to be a absolutely dominant player on a 65-70 win team. However, let's think about something.

If Westbrook does something that hasn't been done since the 1960's (by arguably a top 15-20 talent)...then I think voters should consider doing something that hasn't been done in 30 years and award the MVP to someone outside of the top 3.

If he averages a triple double and OKC finishes 5-6...who is doing something on his level that's enough to negate that and justify passing him up? If it was instance like Curry last year (setting records, 73 wins etc etc)...that's totally understandable. But who is going to be making history this season besides Westbrook? I think he's as good of a candidate as anyone, and the voters will definitely take notice of his season.

I'd say if Harden somehow leads league in points and assists and Westbrook keeps doing what he does, it'll go to one of them if both make playoffs.

Lot to like about this season including our team (as of now...who knows a month from now)

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#88 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 03, 2016 - 04:51 PM

Even the season where Oscar averaged a triple double had Bill Russell as the MVP. You can have a season that goes down in the history books and not get rewarded for it.

#89 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 03, 2016 - 05:02 PM

I like to think of Most valuable player as if we removed X player from the team, how big would the drop off be?

Durant is having an incredible season in terms of stats and efficiency, but if you took him off the Warriors, they would still be a competent Playoff team (and a contender if they had their rim protection and bench of last year). 

Westbrook (especially Westbrook) and Harden have had to literally put the team on their back to get wins. Take them off and you have a set of lottery teams. 

I do think there are some exceptions to this way of thinking, but it holds true for the most part. 

• Jody Smokes likes this

#90 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,282 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 07:43 PM

What is your opinion based on anyway? How many players have you seen averaging 30-10-10 for a season?

fXlFKv8.gif

#91 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts

Posted December 04, 2016 - 03:12 AM

What is your opinion based on anyway? How many players have you seen averaging 30-10-10 for a season?

I see where Jody is at though.

Nate Archibald when he led league in assists and points same year didnt win MVP.

Wow. Dave Cowens did. Huh?

And Wilts best years where he was a 40 pt 20 reb machine (and 50/20!!) lost out to Bill Russell i think.

Back then the bias could have been skewed celtics as they were unbeatable.

My money is still on RW and he's the most fun to watch anyway since prime kobe, prime AI, and steph last couple years

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#92 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,282 posts

Posted December 04, 2016 - 05:12 AM

Archibald's team won 36 games that season. Cowens' Celtics won 8 while Cowens averaged 20-15-4. It is not the same thing.

With Russell in 62/63 too, Wilt's Warriors team won only 31 games to Celtics' 58. Not even close.

Winning matters, nobody is denying it. That is why Thunder would likely have to go north of 50 wins in order for Russell to win it. In fact whoever manages to break that mark between Rockets and Thunder, the MVP will come from that team.

fXlFKv8.gif

#93 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts

Posted December 04, 2016 - 05:37 AM

But if neither team wins 50 coming in closer to 44-45?

I think thats what Jody was implying. Might be tougher to award it to them.

NOTE: I still would

Still, KD having a really really good season. And easily the best of any player that changed teams in off season

Edited by kball, December 04, 2016 - 05:38 AM.

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#94 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,281 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 10:11 AM

It's not my OPINION we are discussing or opinions at all.  Westbrook in my eyes is probably the best MVP candidate based on numbers BUT in reality that's not how THEY vote.  That's why I say all this hypothetical stuff is useless.  He won't win it unless they get a top seed. 

#95 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,281 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 10:26 AM

Let's go back to 06 where Kobe had an 81 pt game and had like a 10 games streak avg something like what 45 pts?  That year Steve Nash won MVP b/c they had the 1st seed.  None of that other stuff about his stat line mattered. 

#96 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,281 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 10:40 AM

That was in '72.  I already posted the info that shows in the past 30 years they haven't given the MVP to anyone that wasn't top 3 and the only time the 3rd seed won was when there was a 3 way tie for I believe the 2nd seed. 

Archibald's team won 36 games that season. Cowens' Celtics won 8 while Cowens averaged 20-15-4. It is not the same thing.

With Russell in 62/63 too, Wilt's Warriors team won only 31 games to Celtics' 58. Not even close.

Winning matters, nobody is denying it. That is why Thunder would likely have to go north of 50 wins in order for Russell to win it. In fact whoever manages to break that mark between Rockets and Thunder, the MVP will come from that team.

#97 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,281 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 10:44 AM

So many schools of thought on MVP but I think signature performances should factor in vs top teams.  Guys can be MVP even with other quality players as well.  I think Lebron fits this mold.  As well as KD with Warriors this year or even Kobe on the Pau and Odom teams. 

All teams are possibly playoff teams w/o those guys but who drives that team matters to me as well.  I don't think the Warriors as constructed w/o Bogut, Barnes and no KD to replace them and throw in some avg SF is a top 4 seed.  KD has had to step up big time on D to help keep that team competent on that end.  That's being overlooked. 

I like to think of Most valuable player as if we removed X player from the team, how big would the drop off be?

Durant is having an incredible season in terms of stats and efficiency, but if you took him off the Warriors, they would still be a competent Playoff team (and a contender if they had their rim protection and bench of last year). 

Westbrook (especially Westbrook) and Harden have had to literally put the team on their back to get wins. Take them off and you have a set of lottery teams. 

I do think there are some exceptions to this way of thinking, but it holds true for the most part. 

Edited by Jody Smokes, December 05, 2016 - 10:45 AM.

•     and Clutch Factor like this

• 43,917 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 12:25 PM

KD has had to step up big time on D to help keep that team competent on that end. That's being overlooked.

No question. The way he's going if he keeps it up, he should make at least second team all defense if not first. I've seen every game (league pass). He's been mighty impressive.

yo.

#99 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted December 06, 2016 - 02:32 PM

Yall think Russell could get 3 more triple doubles in a row to tie Wilt for most consecutive triple doubles in NBA history? It's starting to become a joke how easy it is for him

#100 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,671 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 06, 2016 - 03:11 PM

The revounds are the hardest but at the pace he plays, teams want to get back on D not crash the boards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users