278 replies to this topic

#261 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,437 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 12, 2017 - 12:09 AM

If Westbrook wins I will be pissed. They always change up the MVP voting rationale, but one thing has remained consistent: it is usually the best player on a top team. If Westbrook gets this, Kobe should have definitely gotten it in 2006, and 2007. Thunder are 6th seed, Lakers are 7th. And one of those teams had Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, and Luke Walton playing significant minutes. 

• manaro90 likes this

#262 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 1,967 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 12, 2017 - 12:38 AM

There's no doubt about Kobe getting those Lakers 45 wins being more impressive than Westbrook getting his team 46 IMO

#263 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 4,840 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted April 13, 2017 - 07:38 AM

If Westbrook wins I will be pissed. They always change up the MVP voting rationale, but one thing has remained consistent: it is usually the best player on a top team. If Westbrook gets this, Kobe should have definitely gotten it in 2006, and 2007. Thunder are 6th seed, Lakers are 7th. And one of those teams had Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, and Luke Walton playing significant minutes. 

true

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#264 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 22,784 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 11:10 PM

Two wrongs don't make a right. Westbrook deserves it this year regardless of kobe being wronged in 2006
  • Rekal and lonlyamongus like this
Posted Image

#265 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 792 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted April 14, 2017 - 12:10 AM

Two wrongs don't make a right. Westbrook deserves it this year regardless of kobe being wronged in 2006

Yep.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#266 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,450 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 14, 2017 - 10:25 AM

Im glad the NBA broke the mold with the MVP but this year so many guys elevated their games even if only from a statistical standpoint.  I don't think you could've gone wrong with 3-4 players this year. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#267 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,437 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 10:53 AM

What is MVP?

If it's the best player (which what I think it should be), then Kobe should have had it from 2003-2010, after which LeBron should have had it every year except for last which was clearly Curry. You could make the argument for Westbrook this year, but I would still go with LeBron tbh.

If it's best player on a near top team with a good storyline to go along with it, which is what I think it has been, then it is Harden's award no questions asked.

If it's the player who adds the most wins to his team (i.e. if you remove that player then the team is utter trash), then yeah it's Westbrook for sure. But then many of the other MVPs in the past have been waaay off. 

Voting criteria has to be consistent. MVP clearly is the second one I posted, which is why I think it's a stupid award. Nash has as many MVPs as Shaq and Kobe, that should say enough. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, April 14, 2017 - 10:54 AM.

• Wilt Chamberneezy likes this

#268 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 874 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted April 21, 2017 - 01:16 PM

http://www.thedreams...n-vote-tracking

Happy for Westbrook. Well deserved, but with rules used in the past it should have been Harden.

• bfc1125roy likes this

#269 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,444 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 22, 2017 - 07:04 AM

People have to realize that narratives play an enormous role in this. Westbrook plays like a monster out there. His blasts to the rims and dunks and nonstop energy calls for must-see TV.

I think Harden loses cause way too many people hate watching him play. Don't get me wrong - he's amazing. He's one of the greatest offensive players I've ever seen. But no one likes seeing a guy shoot 12 free throws a game off tiny little hits that he sells. That's the narrative that killed him. He lost in 2015 because his defense was a running meme. He lost this year because many don't appreciate his play style.

Also - people keep going back to the historic way of getting to the MVP. This generally means the best player on the best team. If that's the case, Harden doesn't even sniff the award. If we're going with that, Kawhi and Curry deserve the nod for running the only 60+ win teams in the league.

Drop all the narratives of the season and Kawhi and Curry are the ones to fight for that award IMO. The MVP award was not very statistically based until today.

Edited by bigvee, April 22, 2017 - 07:10 AM.

• bfc1125roy likes this

#270 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,129 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted April 22, 2017 - 09:50 AM

It's a media award and at the end of the day it's more about the story than anything.  There's no consistency.  2006, 2011, and 2017 specifically.  In an 11 years span you had 3 separate years where the criteria was completely different.  They just vote for who they want.  GMs, coaches, and players should vote on the award.  Until that changes it's mostly just a popularity contest.  Nash and Rose.....nuff said.      

• martin90 likes this

#271 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,437 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 10:14 PM

It's a media award and at the end of the day it's more about the story than anything.  There's no consistency.  2006, 2011, and 2017 specifically.  In an 11 years span you had 3 separate years where the criteria was completely different.  They just vote for who they want.  GMs, coaches, and players should vote on the award.  Until that changes it's mostly just a popularity contest.  Nash and Rose.....nuff said.      

Harden of Isaiah Thomas are just as good stories as Westbrook. The story always involves winning, which the Thunder haven't done.

Kobe carried a [expletive]tier team to a similar wins record when Shaq left and put up just as crazy stats as Westbrook, but didn't even finish top 3 in MVP voting. What's up with that?

MVP awards shouldn't have a place when determining players legacies. The media seems to vote off emotion more than anything else. I'd argue the All NBA and All NBA Defensive teams are better judge of player skill, though not perfect by any means. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, April 26, 2017 - 10:15 PM.

#272 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,129 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted April 28, 2017 - 09:12 AM

Harden of Isaiah Thomas are just as good stories as Westbrook. The story always involves winning, which the Thunder haven't done.

Kobe carried a [expletive]tier team to a similar wins record when Shaq left and put up just as crazy stats as Westbrook, but didn't even finish top 3 in MVP voting. What's up with that?

MVP awards shouldn't have a place when determining players legacies. The media seems to vote off emotion more than anything else. I'd argue the All NBA and All NBA Defensive teams are better judge of player skill, though not perfect by any means. 

Kobe didn't have the best relationship with the media following Shaq's departure.  Even in 2008 the MVP award was decided in the last week of the season when we played the Hornets.  If we had lost that game and lost home court advantage in the West to New Orleans I am confident Chris Paul would have been voted MVP.      

• bfc1125roy likes this

#273 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,437 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 12:07 PM

Kobe didn't have the best relationship with the media following Shaq's departure.  Even in 2008 the MVP award was decided in the last week of the season when we played the Hornets.  If we had lost that game and lost home court advantage in the West to New Orleans I am confident Chris Paul would have been voted MVP.      

Yeah people say Chris Paul got robbed of the award that year, but Kobe carried that team to the first seed and destroyed the Hornets that game. He was amazing in those playoffs too, beat the Spurs by himself literally. 

#274 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 14,767 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 28, 2017 - 03:39 PM

This award really needs to be given at the end of the season, with playoffs included.

And the vote desperately needs to taken away from the media.  Let coaches and players vote on the award with the caveat that they can't vote for themselves or anyone on their team.  I think you'll see a much more rational award with much less bias or agenda attached to it.

• bfc1125roy likes this

#275 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,301 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted April 29, 2017 - 01:08 PM

^

Disagree on including playoffs. Thats just a non starter for me.

Its an award based on the season. 82 games.

If you want to win finals MVP, get your team to the finals and win the championship.

(Though LeBron in 2015 many would argue should have beat out AI in a landslide)

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#276 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 1,967 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 29, 2017 - 02:04 PM

I kinda like that idea, if you're the MVP of a season and have embarrassing flameouts like Dirk in 07 or Bron in 2010 then is it a good look to have that years MVP represented the way it is? That will also kinda solidify the philosophy of the MVP being from a good team because how can you explain giving the MVP of the entire year to a guy who didn't make it past round 1 or 2? It's tricky because it might not always work but it's interesting and we'd deff have to review the list now and make some changes.

The easiest way to put it IMO is when you look back at said season, whose the first name that will pop up in your head due to his play on the court? That is almost certainly Westbrook this year

#277 fido

fido

• 14,767 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 10:47 PM

The MVP typically is someone who goes through the majority of the playoffs.  This year may be the exception, but how often does that happen?  Barely, if ever.

Right now the MVP award is a joke.  It's a traveling award based on popularity with the media.  It has nothing to do with value whatsoever.  The only reason there is any value even placed on the award is because the media hypes it to fans and players - and it's the award they vote on.  A complete crock if there ever was one.

#278 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,301 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted May 01, 2017 - 06:27 AM

I had a bigger problem with ALL NBA last year...DeAndre made first team i think didn't he?

I think MVP just bugs Laker fans because shaq and kobe only won 1 each when both dominated the league for over a decade

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#279 fido

fido

• 14,767 posts

Posted May 01, 2017 - 04:20 PM

No the MVP bugs me because its a biased award voted on by the media.  It a popularity contest, not a legitimate judgment of the most valuable (whatever that means any more) player in the league.

If it were the most valuable, LeBron should be winning his 7th or 8th this year.

• bfc1125roy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users