Posted March 30, 2017 - 07:35 PM

Westbrook's stats per36 - 32.9 / 10.9 / 10.8

From 62/63 season:

Oscar's stats per36 - 23.1 / 8.5 / 7.8

Wilt's stats per36 - 33.9 / 18.4 / 2.6

From 05/06 season:

Kobe's stats per36 - 31.1 / 4.7 / 4.0

Lebron's stats per36 - 26.5 / 6.0 / 5.6

What Westbrook is doing amazing on so many levels.

• Chick Stern likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#222 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,681 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 30, 2017 - 08:01 PM

The game has more possessions.

He averages 7 uncontested rebounds per game.

He is having a monster year but not unlike Kobe in 06. Shaq in 2000. LeBron in 07. Iverson, T Mac , Dirk etc.

Not better than most of those honestly or he would be more popular. Curry last season was more spectacular

#223 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,291 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 02:34 AM

Westbrook now has 40 triple doubles. Jeebuz. One more and he ties Oscar's season record and Wilt's career number (#78)

• Rekal likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#224 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,716 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 03, 2017 - 04:20 AM

Kawhi should win it.

Westbrook has been impressive, but he wont win more than 47 games, which should take him out of the running. Statistically he's not all that much better than guys like Lebron, Kawhi, CP3, Curry, Durant, Harden.

Lebron actually has an ok case statistically, but if we are discounting all the Warriors because of the super-team argument, i dont think Lebron gets a pass either. Also, the Cavs might not even come out on top in the East.

Harden does have a case as the most productive player on one of the top 3 teams, but the Spurs are a lot better than the Rockets and Kawhi puts in so much work on the defensive end on top of his offensive production. If you cant make a solid statistical case that Harden is better than Kawhi, and the roster around them are similar in quality, i think the award has to go to the guy with the most Ws.

#225 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted April 03, 2017 - 05:58 AM

As it is a team game, I've never bought into the argument that it auto goes to the guy on the team with the best record. I think there's more to consider than just that.
I think what Westbrook is doing is amazing. He's doing work at a historic level. He gets my vote.
I do like the argument for Leonard, because I think too often defense is ignored in the voting.
It's why I wouldn't consider Har en - along with that Antoni's system inflates stats.
  • martin90 likes this

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#226 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,681 posts

Posted April 04, 2017 - 10:55 AM

Russell
Kawhi
Beard
Thomas
Bron

#227 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,545 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted April 04, 2017 - 11:31 AM

No way Harden lower than 2nd this year.

Just no way

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#228 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 1,150 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted April 05, 2017 - 05:38 PM

Kobe was robbed and Westbrook will probably robbed too.

#229 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 05, 2017 - 06:45 PM

Westbrook with another ridiculous performance, dude was pulling up from 28 feet with Tony Allen guarding him to carry this team. 45, 10 and 9 with 8 threes. I think with Harden struggling with his wrist and Westbrook taking over the news with his record breaking season he will lock up the MVP.

#230 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,291 posts

Posted April 05, 2017 - 06:52 PM

Not sure if Clippers will slip, but Thunder already won 45 games. And they have a realistic chance to finish with 49 wins. That is a winning team.

Rockets will face Clippers. I think that matchup is a win-win for Westbrook's MVP chances.

fXlFKv8.gif

#231 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,791 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 01:54 AM

This isn't like kobe. You're talking about a guy doing things that have never been done before in he modern age. Not by Jordan, lebron or kobe

He's scoring at an incredible rate. Just think about this for a second. He's 3.9ppg less than kobe in 2005/6

But he's playing 7! Less minutes per game. SEVEN

and not only is he scoring at a ridiculous rate. He's giving you triple doubles which he will likely finish having done in more than 50% of the NBA season. I'm not sure if people are taking for granted the statistical anomaly Westbrook has been this season.

Also take a step back and consider his roster. Not awful but nothing near what the rest of the leagues best teams are boasting.

Now take into account that his running mate bolted in the offseason putting all of the pressure on him to carry his team

I don't care what method or explanation someone wants to use to describe how/why Westbrook shouldn't win the MVP. Whatever it is it's invalid and wrong. This is one of those non subjective things. He's pulled together a record breaking season. He's single handedly carrying his team offensively moreso than any player has in the modern era of basketball. I'm talking 4 decades.

He should get the MVP and I believe that he will. I also believe that we may never see a season like this again
  • Navidballack, Chick Stern and lonlyamongus like this
Posted Image

#232 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,545 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 07:15 AM

Its literally the most amazing season ive ever seen and i've seen all of kobe's, all of Mj's, all of magics, all of shaqs, Most of Kareems, etc

Edited by kball, April 06, 2017 - 07:15 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#233 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,681 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 09:34 AM

Harden is statistically right there.
AD when healthy was putting up dumb numbers.
LeBron has a career high in true doubles.

The pace that the league is playing make these feats less impressive

#234 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,681 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 09:36 AM

Its literally the most amazing season ive ever seen and i've seen all of kobe's, all of Mj's, all of magics, all of shaqs, Most of Kareems, etc

You know something is special when like Kobe in his 05 or 2012 season....is the Twitter topic amongst peers.

Or like Dirk during his special run.

LeBron 08 was like that.

Curry last season was more spectacular.

Numbers aren't impressive as eye test

#235 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,339 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 06, 2017 - 10:23 AM

Would pick Kawhi over Westbrook or Harden for MVP tbh. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#236 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,681 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 12:03 PM

All that being said. I still got Westbrook first in the MVP race.
Kawhi second.
Harden 3rd

#237 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,545 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 12:24 PM

Yeah i thought what Steph was doing and the level he was playing at last year was absolutely remarkable, coupled with their record regular season.

He's still the best most lethal shooter and outside shooting game changer ive ever seen.

What Harden is doing this year feels similar to Steph last year.

Still got to give it to RW but not by a huge margin at all. Just barely.

Now if Harden had this year last year, picking between him and steph would have been just as hard, as opposed to Curry running away from everyone like he did

Edited by kball, April 06, 2017 - 12:24 PM.

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#238 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,681 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 01:20 PM

Harden doesn't feel like Steph in the least.
Last year Steph was being compared favorably to MJ.

I've never seen such a prisoner of the moment mentality.

I forgot Shaq in 2000.

I can probably name 10 seasons that were more spectacular.
Nash first MVP was another.

#239 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,291 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 06:11 PM

I wasn't around Jordan's prime so I wouldn't comment but from what I can tell Westbrook's accomplishment cannot be shrugged off as just another "statistical monster season". If you watch the games, he literally makes the other team bow down to him thru sheer will. In past 20 years Shaq, Kobe, Lebron and Steph (last year) are the only ones I've come accross with that type of domination.

That being said I think Westbrook this season is up there with 2005-2007 Kobe. Kobe did it on his own way at that time scoring 17 (sixteeen) 50+ points spanning two seasons, which in itself would be equal to third most all time. Westbrook in last two seasons has 59 triple doubles (5th most all time - tying Larry Bird). Just ridiculous.

fXlFKv8.gif

#240 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 954 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted April 06, 2017 - 08:53 PM

Westbrook should be MVP, but I have a feeling Harden will end up being MVP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users