• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,345 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 20, 2016 - 02:19 PM

Sources: After Wednesday labor meeting, NBA and NBPA pushed closer to a deal on a new CBA. Most major items agreed on, deal within sight.

Among items that will be in final CBA agreement: NBA's "one-and-done" college draft rule will remain in place, sources tell @TheVertical.

The NBA and NBPA's Basketball Related Income (BRI) split will be unchanged in a new CBA deal, league sources tell @TheVertical.

• FranklinPeanuts and Majesty like this

#2 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 21, 2016 - 04:19 AM

Pretty big deal if this happens and another feather in Silver's hat and excellent stewardship of the league a few years in.

I don't want to miss any more games. Summer and a bad team is hard enough on me

Edited by kball, October 21, 2016 - 04:19 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#3 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted October 21, 2016 - 08:11 AM

I truly believe that it's much more smooth this time around cause of how strong the NBPA has become. Nobody wants to piss off the likes of LeBron and Steph and CP3. Give them what they want and they'll make you boatloads of money.

#4 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,431 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 21, 2016 - 09:30 AM

The players lost 7% of the BRI in 2011 and with the new TV deal the NBPA is willing to retain the new 50-50 split instead of trying to get back some of the pie they lost 5 years ago?  You know...when half the league was allegedly operating in the red Lol.  

As a fan I selfishly want a deal done but if this is mostly just an extension of the 2011 CBA with a few minor tweaks then the owners are making out big time.     

#5 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,992 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 21, 2016 - 09:57 AM

they will make out with more money anyway, right? 50/50 or not, they still make out with more

#6 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,431 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 10:27 AM

they will make out with more money anyway, right? 50/50 or not, they still make out with more

With the new TV deal both sides are making more money sure.  Before 2011 the BRI split was 57%-43% in favor of the players and the league was crying bloody murder over all the money it was "losing."  Enough that there was a lockout that only ended when the NBPA agreed to a 50-50 BRI split.  Now that the league is flush with new TV money I don't see how the NBPA can consider it a win or a success that the 50-50 split remains in tact.  Just because they aren't losing ground on other issues like max contracts, one and done college players, expanded drug testing, etc. doesn't mean they're winning it just means things are staying exactly the same.  That's not compromise that's keeping things status quo.  Let's just use one and done as an example.  It's not the NBPA wants one year and the league wants two years so the players win by keeping it one it's that the players want zero and the league wants two so you settle with one.  That's the compromise.  Neither side is entirely happy.  The NBPA got taken to the woodshed in 2011 and if they don't get back 2-3% of the BRI this time around that's a huge win for the owners.            

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#7 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,992 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 11:25 AM

With the new TV deal both sides are making more money sure.  Before 2011 the BRI split was 57%-43% in favor of the players and the league was crying bloody murder over all the money it was "losing."  Enough that there was a lockout that only ended when the NBPA agreed to a 50-50 BRI split.  Now that the league is flush with new TV money I don't see how the NBPA can consider it a win or a success that the 50-50 split remains in tact.  Just because they aren't losing ground on other issues like max contracts, one and done college players, expanded drug testing, etc. doesn't mean they're winning it just means things are staying exactly the same.  That's not compromise that's keeping things status quo.  Let's just use one and done as an example.  It's not the NBPA wants one year and the league wants two years so the players win by keeping it one it's that the players want zero and the league wants two so you settle with one.  That's the compromise.  Neither side is entirely happy.  The NBPA got taken to the woodshed in 2011 and if they don't get back 2-3% of the BRI this time around that's a huge win for the owners.            

i can never believe that the league was losing money. LOL

thanks for the detailed pov. as long as the league is making more and giving little, they are fine. the wealthy stays wealthy.

• lakerfan98 likes this

#8 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,431 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 09:16 AM

– via Yahoo! Sports

#9 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,431 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 09:16 AM

– via Yahoo! Sports

#10 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,431 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 10:26 AM

7 year extension keeping the 50-50 split.  Can't say i really blame the NBPA because with ballooning salaries they probably know they've already lost the battle in the court of public opinion and simply didn't want to rock the boat.  A lot of stupid people in this country after all.  If you look at where the players were in 1999 with a 57% split, 7 years max contracts, no college requirement for draft eligibility, etc. there's no way you can spin this into a success.  In the last three CBA negotiations the league has played it's hand beautifully and gotten just about everything they wanted within reason.  Kudos I guess Lol           

#11 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,431 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 10:29 AM

Pretty clear that the league pushed for such a restrictive system in 2011 in anticipation of the new TV deal.  They're playing chess and the NBPA is playing checkers.  

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#12 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,450 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted October 24, 2016 - 11:14 AM

not sure if i'm a fan of the one and done deal. 

ap1.png

#13 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,992 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 11:34 AM

not all one and done are truly done. i am on the fence, but you should not deny a person the opp. Baseball does, it.. IT IS A DIFFERENT THOUGH. at least they use their farm system unlike the NBA

#14 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,345 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 09:42 PM

If the front office can create a big increase in revenue every 10-15 years like we just had then there will never be lockouts. Players are gonna wanna fight more when they see the cap line only rise a couple mill every year.

#15 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,345 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 02:18 PM

Read somewhere that they are gonna add 2 spots for D-League spots. So basically you have your 15 players plus 2 that are exclusively in the D-League.  I'm guessing then you can also have the 14th and 15 guy jump back and forth. This would be pretty big for the D-League if true. 

• DanishLakerFan and Majesty like this

#16 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 420 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 27, 2016 - 07:16 PM

Its the owners fault for doling out these contracts. You can only play the same card so many times, they can't keep handing out bad contracts, complaining about the bad contracts they handed out, then trying to neg on paying out the bad contracts.

#17 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,291 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 04:28 AM

I believe Carmelo was the one who proposed it. He said the league should restructure the D-League system so that there will be more financial opportunities for players instead of going overseas. I think such a overhaul would bring more positives than negatives. For one thing nobody cares about current D-League. Not even players. It is like a punishment, or worse a slur to be called a D-League talent. They should do it so that the players truly have more opportunity grow, and not be financially stuck. Discrepancy shouldn't be that much between the leagues. The current system is a mess with 5 yr/150m contracts in one hand, and a league minimum still being set at ridiculous level. If D-League becomes a place like a Europa League to NBA's Champions League, then things could get interesting for players going right out of high school. There would be less worry for player development, and overall competition would increase imo.
  • DanishLakerFan, Jackson and Majesty like this

fXlFKv8.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users