Ring Chaser

The Innovators

• 1,717 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo "ZO2" Ball

Posted October 18, 2016 - 02:16 PM

LaMarcus Aldridge Could Be Traded By Spurs This Season

Aldridge_Lamarcus_sas_151013.jpg

LaMarcus Aldridge signed with the San Antonio Spurs in 2015 and had a successful first season but there could be some issues that lead to him eventually being traded.

The Boston Celtics are in a position to trade for a player of Aldridge's caliber, should he become available, due to the value of the players on their roster and future picks.

"Sources were telling me the other day that LaMarcus Aldridge may not even finish the year with the Spurs. That experiment hasn't quite worked out the way they'd hoped. I think there's going to be a lot of shifting around. That (Nets) pick is going to be very, very valuable."

Macmullen was asked if she thinks the Celtics should trade for him if possible.

"No, not after what I heard the other day," said Macmullen laughing. "No, of course, you would take him on if you could because he's an automatic double-double but there's some stuff going on maybe."

JACKIE MACMULLAN/COMCAST

"If you're going to lose, you have to lose because you can't be in the middle of the pack. You either have to be great or you have to be bad to get a good pick" - Earvin Magic Johnson

#2 martin90

martin90

Off The Bench

• 1,743 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 18, 2016 - 04:16 PM

that makes no sense, they are in position to fight for the ring.

#3 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,181 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 18, 2016 - 04:29 PM

Trade makes no sense and being that it's from a Boston news outlet, it's obvious they are trying to stir the pot to make some value of that Brooklyn pick.

• pkflyers likes this

#4 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,198 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 05:50 PM

I disagree. If you look at the Spurs roster, it is not farfetched to speculate he could be traded. Their veterans are too old, and frankly not a contender caliber roster. Parker, Ginobili, Gasol, Lee have an age mean of 35. Aldridge is 31, and this is the perfect time to trade him. The rest of the squad, other than Kawhi, is a lottery team - Top 3 at that. If they want to surround Kawhi with young talent, this is the year for Spurs. Get some picks / pieces, and tank to draft a good player in upcoming draft.

• pkflyers and LakerGeezer like this

fXlFKv8.gif

#5 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,654 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted October 18, 2016 - 06:18 PM

^.  I think the Spurs see how they do for 2 months, then start selling if they are not near the top of the division.  Old team or veteran team?  We'll know soon enough.

• JGuez and lakerfan98 like this

Debbie Downer

#6 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,181 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 18, 2016 - 08:44 PM

I disagree. If you look at the Spurs roster, it is not farfetched to speculate he could be traded. Their veterans are too old, and frankly not a contender caliber roster. Parker, Ginobili, Gasol, Lee have an age mean of 35. Aldridge is 31, and this is the perfect time to trade him. The rest of the squad, other than Kawhi, is a lottery team - Top 3 at that. If they want to surround Kawhi with young talent, this is the year for Spurs. Get some picks / pieces, and tank to draft a good player in upcoming draft.

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a possibility where he can be traded, it's just there's really no scenario where he goes to the Celtics...  

#7 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,573 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted October 18, 2016 - 09:50 PM

The whole point is that this is the highest his trade value will ever be. Regardless, there's not really anyone on the market who fits what the Spurs have going on than Aldridge. 

It doesn't take a basketball genius to realize that Aldridge is gonna be one of those big men who age gracefully. There's not gonna be any steep decline, but his productivity should slowly drop. The Spurs aren't the type of team to flip a player like that.

And this isn't the first outlet I've seen report this. It's also not a rumor. Just some beat writer saying "hey, this could happen"

#8 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,724 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 18, 2016 - 10:29 PM

I feel like this isn't true. When was the last time Pop traded away great talent like LA. Doesn't seem like him.

#9 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,559 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted October 19, 2016 - 12:50 AM

It seems strange that they're looking to move Aldridge given how well they played last season. The idea that "the experiment hasn't quite worked out" is completely out of place. The Dwight Howard experiment didn't work out (it rarely does). But the Lamarcus Aldridge experiment ended with them winning 67 games (!) which is amazing and while they did lose Timmy they got Pau who is still pretty damn good.

They're not likely to be all that much worse this current season and while the Warriors did improve, the Thunder and LAC probably will be worse. In other words, they could probably cruise all the way to the western conference finals.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 19, 2016 - 01:43 AM

Not working out? Didn't they have a 67 win team last year or something? 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#11 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,617 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 19, 2016 - 06:52 AM

So what happened?

#12 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,724 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 19, 2016 - 10:07 AM

You almost have to wonder if Pop thinks the next few years are pointless with GS team and he just wants to load up on young talent.

• Majesty likes this

#13 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,559 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 10:57 PM

You almost have to wonder if Pop thinks the next few years are pointless with GS team and he just wants to load up on young talent.

If the Spurs were a 53-win team i could see that argument make some sense, but they won 67 last season and really didn't get all that much worse in the offseason, so there is no reason to break it up unless Lamarcus himself isn't happy about being there. Also, Lamarcus and Gasol are old, but they're not going to be easy to handle for anyone and Green and Kawhi still is the best defensive tandem in the League.

Of course, if they get a bad start or if Pau-LMA doesn't fit or something i could see them make moves during the season, but the idea that "the experiment failed" is insane.  

#14 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,086 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 21, 2016 - 04:13 AM

Man 67 wins is pretty up there.

Off hand i'd say the lakers have only done that twice without looking that up?

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#15 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,086 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 21, 2016 - 04:16 AM

^

Just looked it up. Yep only twice.

BTW The Showtime lakers never got close to that win total (wow)

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#16 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,372 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted October 21, 2016 - 09:17 AM

If for whatever reason the Spurs do trade Aldridge I hope it's not here.  If he wanted to come here he could have last summer as a free agent.  Giving up significant assets for him now would be very foolish.  Considering what it would take to get him and the fact that if it doesn't work out quickly he could bolt in 2018 it's a hard no for me.  Can't say I'd be interested in him as a free agent in 2018 either to be honest.  I think his game will age gracefully barring some unforeseen serious injury but maxing or near maxing a 33 year old Aldridge in 2018 doesn't sit well with me at all.  I think his window to be a Laker should be closed.        

Edited by lakerfan98, October 21, 2016 - 09:17 AM.

#17 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 261 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 24, 2016 - 08:52 PM

I think the story has some truth to it, but not to the extent it was claiming when it was originally published.

I think at some point in the offseason, during their training camp, Aldridge was rubbed the wrong way by Pop. The leak had to have come from Aldridge himself, cause these stories almost never come out of San Antonio. The last few times something like this came out of the Spurs were over Tony Parker's contract negotiations. Once when he made them pay (literally) for pursuing Jason Kidd, and the other time when he was beginning to decline and they were thinking about flipping him for draft picks.

Aldridge demanding out would be a mistake for him. Does he really want to end up on a team like the Suns where, yes, he'll get more looks, but they won't even be the conversation for playoffs.

And he doesn't have the explosiveness any longer for more looks to really equal a whole lot more points at this point in his career. He is in the start of a decline. Stay where you're at now Lamarcus, don't leave unless it's over money.

And if he really did want to go elsewhere over looks, or, whatever, he's just gonna have the same problems on the Lakers also.

Edited by dbtbandit67, October 24, 2016 - 08:53 PM.

#18 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,617 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 26, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Lol. Lock this non sense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users