Thoughts from the first 2 pre-season games

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 01:58 AM

Mozgov proved he can anchor the defense. Once Ingram is integrated into starting lineup, we will be taller and more active on defense. I like that Luke is giving priority on defense. The fact that we don't have a dominant scorer should make it easier for the offensive scheme to be implemented as time goes. 2 games were against Kings and Nuggets, but we looked better most of each games. Very promising.

fXlFKv8.gif

#22 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted October 09, 2016 - 11:20 PM

Each game continues to be better and better. I seriously hope we win a lot more games than expected this season.

• DeeZee, M.X.M. and LACAS like this

#23 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,208 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 10, 2016 - 06:33 AM

Its exciting, its been a while since I have been this excited about the Lakers... I know its premature and its only been 3 preseason games but I am enjoying what I have seen.

#24 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,509 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 10, 2016 - 09:47 PM

My thoughts are mostly positive and quite upbeat. Luke has already changed the culture of the squad and the young guys have bought into what he's selling. 

But we won't know how much until they face some real adversity. 

Thus far, just going by the numbers and from what I've seen:

1. I see better effort on defense, but too much fouling,

2. Because Luke seems to like small lineups, we seem to be at a disadvantage on the boards.

3. D'Angelo has an easy time getting his own shot, but probably needs to work on getting his teammates some more shots. 

4. Lou is a questionable fit as the starting 2, would Clarkson (and his much improved D) be a better fit alongside Russell in the starting lineup?

5. Another more radical choice....start Calderon at the 1, and have Russell at the 2

6. Nick has also played well enough to make the team, but he'll be fighting for minutes with Deng and Ingram. 

7. The uptempo pace makes the team really fun to watch. 

8. Luke is a pleasure to listen to in the postgame pressers....he's engaging, knowledgeable and well organized in his thoughts. 

• DaSmoothOperator likes this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#25 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 10:03 PM

Still pre-season but I think tomorrow can be a pretty good measuring stick for us if Portland plays their guys.

I actually think the Trailblazers are a model team for us in the sense that they made the playoffs when no one expected them too. 

#26 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 11, 2016 - 04:56 AM

From a team perspective, I'd be hoping that they dont lose any more than 3 games in a row this season at any point. Important so they don't get too down on themselves and start tuning out coaching staff,

Maybe even put together one or two 5 game win streaks with some luck which i think is possible.

It looks like our outside shooting will be much improved this year.

(Heard Clarkson in an interview refer to himself and our shooters as THE BOMB SQUAD)

I'm not sure any preseason game is a good measuring stick to be honest though (JGuez).

Case in most all teams...

Some guys playing harder than others.

Some older vets and even young guys playing more not to get hurt

(so many injured guys already-middleton,reggie jackson,simmons,hayward etc)

Staggered lineup experimentation.

Nobody fouling out or in foul trouble.

Plenty of guys playing their way into shape.

Unfamiliar sets.

Unfamiliar arenas.

Unfamiliar new guys (seems like lots of players changing teams this offseason).

Hope we see Ingram over these next few games hit SOMETHING from outside so he starts season with confidence in his shot.  Once he does, dude is going to be fun to watch all over the court.

Guys whose all around game i'm most impressed with

D'lo

Clarkson

Nance

Black

Edited by kball, October 11, 2016 - 05:14 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#27 M.X.M.

M.X.M.

@WeCarpeDiem

• 3,855 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted October 11, 2016 - 02:48 PM

We will win up to 40 games.

41-41

IG: @WeCarpeDiem 

Twitter: @WeCarpeDiem

#28 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TEIAM

• 2,438 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted October 12, 2016 - 07:18 PM

I am saying 30 wins. But seriously much better. We will see improvement. At least Williams won't be starting at PG.

#29 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,697 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted October 14, 2016 - 12:44 PM

We will win up to 40 games.

41-41

Ahh an optimist, I'd say not a chance. The Conference is much deeper and with youth and a long season I see some ten loss runs coming. Who's in the lottery this year?  Haave to be bottom three to keep it.

#30 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 01:23 PM

I'd say 35 wins at best, which isn't bad as long as players play the right way.

#31 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,660 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 14, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Personally, if we stay relatively healthy I'll be disappointed with less than 30 wins. I think 35 is possible. Its time to start setting higher standards. 

• Majesty likes this

#32 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 14, 2016 - 02:47 PM

Might be possible to have 30 wins going into april.

35 wins would really be blowing through the vegas number of 24.5 in a big way.

So i doubt it

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#33 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 02:57 PM

Might be possible to have 30 wins going into april.

35 wins would really be blowing through the vegas number of 24.5 in a big way.

So i doubt it

Numbers are arbitrary( including my prediction). Lakers will go as far as Russell and ,by a lesser degree, Clarkson take them. Cant imagine Russell play at THAT level night in night out. Until we see how Russell plays when his shot isnt falling, its hard to say how the team, including DR, will fare.

Time will tell...

#34 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 14, 2016 - 04:47 PM

We need steady improvement from all the kids through the year

#35 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,208 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 15, 2016 - 04:32 AM

IMO the needle still isn't moving on Randle...  start either Deng or Nance at 4 until Randle proves he's a starter. Im not sure what Randle has done to merit starting at PF.

#36 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 07:04 AM

If Russell sees himself as an Allstar, act like one and lead this team, we can pile up wins exponentially as the season goes. We lack experience, not talent. 24 wins is an absolute disaster of a prediction. We can easily hang with teams like Nuggets, Kings and that is already 30 win mark in current league. Anywhere between 35-40 is possible.

fXlFKv8.gif

#37 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 03:01 AM

After 6 games, 2 ahead:

D'Angelo Russell

18.2 ppg 4.7 apg 2 rpg 1.8 spg 3.2 topg on 47.7 fg% 35 3pt% 76.5 ft% (22.2 ppg 5.7 apg on PER36)

Jordan Clarkson

14.5 ppg 2.8 rpg 1.5 apg 1.5 topg on 44.1 fg% 33.3 3pt% 78.9 ft% (22.7 ppg 4.4 rpg on PER36)

Julius Randle

8.7 ppg 7.8 rpg 3 apg 2.5 topg on 50 fg% 50 ft% (11.8 ppg 10.6 rpg 4.1 apg on PER36)

Brandon Ingram

6.3 ppg 1.7 rpg 1.3 apg 1.5 bpg 0.3 topg on 32.4 fg% 40 3pt% 45 ft% (9.7 ppg 2.6 rpg 2 apg 2.3 bpg on PER36)

Larry Nance Jr.

6.5 ppg 3.3 rpg 0.8 bpg 1.7 spg on 48.4 fg% 57 ft% (13.4ppg 6.8 rpg 3.5 spg on PER36)

Edited by Tensai, October 16, 2016 - 03:33 AM.

fXlFKv8.gif

#38 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 16, 2016 - 09:18 AM

Not feeling the ft percentages

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users