#1 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,208 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 08, 2016 - 08:38 AM

This is beyond premature but so far I like what I have seen...

We are actually running an offense, the ball is moving, the pace is good and guys are actually "trying" to play D.

JC looks ready and should be inserted back into the starting line up once the dust settles.

DLO adjusted last night but needs to lessen the TO's and I think he will as they all get familiar with the offense, sweet spots and develop on-court chemistry.

Ingram should be starting, let the kid go and figure it out; his timing is off but thats expected, its just a matter of time before his shot starts falling.

Randle: DISCLAIMER: I hope Im wrong and its still too early to tell but I havent seen much of a difference from last year furthermore I think the LAL would be better suited starting Deng at PF, it would give us more flexibility and give Randle time to develop a much needed midrange game.

Mozgov: its still too early to tell but I haven't seen anything yet, I also think starting Deng at PF would allow Moz's game to flow more efficiently.

Guys seem happy, the chemistry looks good and they seem to be enjoying the game...

Go Lakers!

#2 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 08, 2016 - 08:44 AM

Mozgov been pretty solid all around IMO.  He's running the floor well, finishing and moving well in the paint defensively.  

DLo and Clarkson have been really good especially JC on the defensive end getting a lot of deflections.  The defense looks night and day from last year. 

Randle does some nice things in space and on the break.  That's where he'll shine the most.  Just looking at the way the roster is made up we may not even really need to concern ourselves with whose starting and whose not but with whose fitting together best.  The bench unit of Clarkson, Huertas or Calderon, Ingram, Nance and Black is fire right now.  

• kball, MaceWindu and LACAS like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#3 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 08:45 AM

I actually thought Randle played pretty well last night. Had some great passes and I love that he's finally setting screens this season (so far).

• BasketballIQ, kball and LACAS like this

#4 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,230 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted October 08, 2016 - 08:52 AM

JC defense has been solid so far..

Seems like the game is too fast for Ingram right now shouldn't be worried at all tho cause once the game slows down he's going to be hitting those shots.

Dlo is Dlo still wanna see him be more aggressive tho.

I'm liking some stuff from Randle too.

Mozgov is cool. I Dont have much to really say about him that I already don't kno.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, October 08, 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#5 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Too early to tell but so far everything looks good.

The ball sharing on offense is energizing the defense and vice versa. It shows too that the players started to play smart defense,which is more important to me than the overall energy. Energy and hustle can vary from game to game( remember how energized the Lakers were in last season's preseason against utah?) but playing smart can never betray you.

I disagree with you on Randle and Ingram. Julius seems to play better on both ends sans the off ball movement.

Ingram should stay with the second unit; seems like a better fit. He'll get his 25 mpg anyway

Edited by Ventiquattro, October 08, 2016 - 09:04 AM.

• JGuez and LACAS like this

#6 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,761 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 08, 2016 - 09:06 AM

Clarkson's defense and hustle have been amazing. Russell's turnovers are an issue, but one of them was just Young being in another world and completely dropping the pass. 

I love that Ingram, despite struggling offensively, still puts effort into the defensive end. I disagree about him starting though. Not sure if it's nerves, but he's been missing everything offensively (even struggling with free throws at times). Luke thinks it's because of nerves since apparently "he shoots lights out" as practice. Maybe too much pressure is being thrown on him with inheriting Kobe's locker and whatnot. But it's probably best for him to build confidence playing on the bench and eventually earn the starting spot.

I also disagree about Randle. Offensively there doesn't seem to be much improvement in terms of a midrange/3-point shot (we've only seen flashes, but we saw that last year, too). But he's been setting screens, moving the ball, and even scoring off the P&R. He's shot limited attempts instead of wanting to bully-ball all day. Maybe he's temporary, but I've liked what I've seen so far. 

That bench line up of (Calderon/Huertas) / Clarkson / Ingram / Nance / Black is really exciting to watch.

• JGuez and LACAS like this

#7 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,093 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted October 08, 2016 - 09:35 AM

Watching the nuggets game right now, didn't see the first game. Ingram is going to be an elite defender in his prime. He reminds me of PG13 more than Durant. Russell is a scorer and is gonna drop 20 a night. As soon as his man hits the pick, his shot is up. It's going to be really hard to stop that. I love this team...I have no complaints as of right now. This team is really athletic.

One thing I noticed. Black needs to calm down. He reaches even with the other team in the bonus. You can't give up free throws like that.

Edited by kidpolean, October 08, 2016 - 09:39 AM.

• PhillyLaker24 likes this

#8 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 08, 2016 - 09:37 AM

I don't get why people obsess over Randle improving game 2 game.

Typically bigs come into their own later. Randle is growing mentally and physically. He came off the break setting up guys for open shots and is essentially a X factor for our offense.

Russell is still a few seasons away from being a top tier guard.
  • lakersince75 likes this

#9 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,201 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 08, 2016 - 09:38 AM

after 2 games and PRE SEASON (!) most of you forget that its still a fresh start after being 20 years held to one sports icon in kobe..

so this is all new and the players need to soak it all in in those few weeks

but i think well be alright.. wont be at the bottom of the west but also not on top.. its a process guys.

im still very much excited

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#10 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,117 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 08, 2016 - 10:20 AM

After just 2 preseason games here is my current assessment.

Offense:  Overall, the offense is exactly what this team needs.  Although some of the players and lineups don't optimize the potential output, I really like what I've seen in terms of tempo, ball movement, and spacing.  It's just a blessing to not have to watch an isolation dominated offense.  With time, players will gradually become more comfortable thus making the proper reads.  One key element in regards to this current offense and any current offense in modern basketball is off ball movement and player positioning.  Both of which will improve over time.

Defense:  The perimeter defense has been stellar (in comparison to that of last year).  Clarkson has easily been the most impressive but Russell has also been quiet a surprise as he seems to have learned how to take advantage of his length despite not being as quick as most point guards.  However the interior defense and even defensive rebounding at times has looked a bit iffy.  Mozgov is a serviceable rim protector and has looked good moving quickly up and down court but Julius still needs to show that he can be dependable on this end of the court.

Individual Player Analysis

Russell - We all know what he brings to the floor offensively with that deadly pick and roll play.  His defense has improved immensely as well.  The only (slight) concern as of now is the turnover rate, but I understand that it's a new offense and he'll settle down in due time.  When watching him on the court, you can tell that he's actually looking to make the right play rather than score first.  Unfortunately, there's been many times where fellow teammates fail to make the proper read and move to the proper position.  Again, much of this will improve over time.

Randle - The one area in which Randle has really surprised me in is the speed at which he can move the ball upcourt following a defensive board.  It's crazy fast and will really be difficult for other 4s to keep up with.  There's plays where he'll go back to his iso dominate ways, but there are also instances where he'll make the correct pass.  He's still a big question mark for me, but I'm okay with what I've seen thus far.

Clarkson - Easily one of the top players on our team despite coming off the bench the first two games.  His shot release is significantly faster compared to previous years and his range has also expanded as he seems much more comfortable and confident shooting the 3 ball.  His defense has been his greatest improvement and I hope to see a lot of great things out of him this year.  Again, $13 million for Clarkson was the biggest steal this off season.

Ingram - You can immediately tell that he's still making the transition to the NBA.  While not a nervous wreck on the floor, it's obvious that the nerves are there.  There hasn't been much to say in terms of offensive output, he just needs to assert himself a bit more.  Defensively he has the potential to lockdown guys with his length.

Nance - Easily one of my favorite players on the team.  Ironically, I actually prefer him off the bench alongside Tarik rather than starting because he provides an instant boost of energy.  He hustles and makes all the right decisions on both ends.  On defense, he seems to have improved on closing out on players as well as switching to the correct area to cover gaps.  Offensively, his IQ has really impressed me.  He doesn't rush anything and seems to make the correct read/pass a majority of the time.  If he ever gets a decent mid range game or reliable 3 point shot, watch out.

The 2nd unit in general has been really fun to watch thanks to Nance and Black.  When looking at a young team without superior talent and player personnel, the one thing that will keep us in games this year and possibly scratch a few W's in the winning column is hustle and energy.

GLARING HOLE:

Lou Williams...  I love his character, I love his personality, and I love his flexible contract.  Unfortunately, his style of play just doesn't fit our current offense and it's obvious in just 2 games.  What the Lakers need is a consistent spot-up/knock down shooter to help spread the floor and be open when Russell or Randle penetrate.  Lou doesn't provide.  I actually think Nick Young will be more serviceable and efficient in this offense compared to Lou.

SIDE NOTE:  Cut Yi, he's trash, give his minutes to Zubac because the kid has crazy potential.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, October 08, 2016 - 10:35 AM.

• JGuez, lakerfan98 and lonlyamongus like this

#11 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,121 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted October 08, 2016 - 10:23 AM

I think those people who said we would only win 25 games are going to eat their words. I see us making a trade early and one more by the trade deadline. I'm going out on a limb and giving us 38 wins if DLo can play some D and turn down the stupid turnovers. 

#12 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 08, 2016 - 10:36 AM

I think those people who said we would only win 25 games are going to eat their words. I see us making a trade early and one more by the trade deadline. I'm going out on a limb and giving us 38 wins if DLo can play some D and turn down the stupid turnovers.

38 wins.

Play some D. Stupid turnovers.

#13 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,117 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted October 08, 2016 - 10:40 AM

If we drafted Jahlil Okafor we would have won 82 games this year, Byron Scott would have had a ring last year, and world hunger would cease to exist.

#14 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 08, 2016 - 11:15 AM

Way too early, but most of the opposing players these 2 games many of us couldn't name before the games or maybe even after them.

Lakers look young, sloppy, confused...but hungry, enthusiastic and happier.

I like luke experimenting now as plus or minus 5 game difference during season playing some guys over other guys won't make much difference in the scheme of next 5 years.

I like the hustle. Also wonder who will be our stud and how finding whoever it is this season affects the rest of our chemistry.

Looks as if D'lo or Clarkson will be our alpha.

Also liking D'lo in his interviews. He's the real deal imo and will have an allstar career

Edited by kball, October 08, 2016 - 11:17 AM.

• MaceWindu likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#15 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,561 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted October 08, 2016 - 12:43 PM

Biggest surprise was that Ingram looks like he'll be a DPOY candidate before he's top scorer in this league. He will get bulldozed being really slim for a year or two, but the kid has really solid defensive instincts. He knows how to use his length, which will always be his greatest advantage. 

DLo is playing great on and off the ball. So is Clarkson. The sky is the limit for those two, just depends on how much work they put in.

I want the rotation to look more like

Russell/Calderon

Clarkson/Brown/Lou

Deng/Ingram

Nance/Randle

Moz/Black

• JGuez and lonlyamongus like this

#16 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted October 08, 2016 - 02:22 PM

Like what I see from the young guns. Everyone is still growing and hard to give much feedback after two preseason games. However, Ingram defintly has those Rookie jitters. He might take a while to settle into his own, but with a bunch of other young guys that seem to be bonding great together I don't think that will be a problem. I just don't want his confidence to get rattled from two bad shooting nights and he get inside his own head. He doesn't need to second guess himself he has the ability and talent. 

While this season is sure to be a let down in terms of what we accomplish, most games will be a joy to watch as we see these young guys mature.  

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#17 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,897 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted October 08, 2016 - 02:49 PM

They look pretty damn good. It improved my mood even. Lou, Young trade them out they only disrupt flow. Russ was lights out in the 1st half. Kid has come a long way on both ends. And Clarkson is looking poised to take the next step. Julius is looking improved some. I'm worried about his rebounding, more so since he lost weight. He's always been a little undersized. Bgram is looking like I thought he would. His health surviving the season is my only worry. So whatever beyond that is building him up. Won't mind seeing them take the slow approach with him. Team looks energized under coach Luke. It's night and day from last season. Attitude, competitiveness and unity. Definitely have me anticipating the season more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#18 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,121 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted October 08, 2016 - 03:44 PM

If we drafted Jahlil Okafor we would have won 82 games this year, Byron Scott would have had a ring last year, and world hunger would cease to exist.

Yup! No Racism and World Peace

• LakeShow1o1 likes this

#19 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,660 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 08, 2016 - 09:42 PM

Yup! No Racism and World Peace

We have world peace last season.
  • lakersince75, LakeShow1o1 and lakerfan98 like this

#20 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted October 08, 2016 - 11:50 PM

The main thing I can take away from the first two games is... I will definitely be watching Lakers basketball this season.

• UKUGA, DeeZee, M.X.M. and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users