• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#161 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 10,209 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 10:58 PM

The Cavs need to trade Shumpert and Frye and sign Wade today. Today. I know him and LeBron are talking and I would not doubt for one second that they will take pay cuts (even Wade) and team up again.

That's your record-breaking Finals ratings.

There's been justified speculation today that Wade was on a private jet, meeting with LeBron James and Dan Gilbert.

FWIW, I don't believe Wade makes a lot of sense for the Cavs when you consider how he fits, so I don't 100% believe they "need" this move, but I'm not ruling out him and LeBron countering KD's power move with one of their own.

Edited by Massacre, July 04, 2016 - 11:04 PM.

#162 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 26,155 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 11:15 PM

How much would they need?

I mean contract wise I'd love the lakers to take shumpert.

Then I'd find a taker for young and Williams and I'd be very happy

Mosgov/ black/ zubac
Deng/ Randle/ nance
Ingram/ deng/ brown
Clarkson/ shumpert
Russell/ clarkson/ huertas
Posted Image

#163 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,407 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 04, 2016 - 11:29 PM

Had to quote my post from the locked FA discussion topic. Guess there was some truth to the line in bold.

Supposedly, Durant was having dinner in downtown OKC the other night, and some fans said all he was talking about was winning (to whoever was eating with him), and made a statement that winning a championship is all he cares about.

Durant has no reason to set up meetings with championship basketball programs if he wasn't interested in leaving OKC.  He doesn't need leverage.  The Thunder will give him exactly what he wants, and he dictates whether he signs a one-year or multi-year with them.  There's no chance that they try and negotiate.

That's not saying he's leaving, but he's not coming to the Lakers...at least not this offseason.  

Also, declining meetings with certain teams is also an indication that he's narrowing the field down, and it's clear what he's interested in doing simply by looking at the teams he chose.

Going to the Warriors locks him in as a champion, because that quad of players (Durant, Curry, Klay and Green) will be a dynasty if they stay together.  Again, that doesn't mean it'll happen, but he's considering it, and given his recent mindset with Westbrook, I doubt he cares about scoring 30 a night.  He could put up 15 attempts a game and rack up 23 PPG average, and he'll be remembered as a champion, rather than a Reggie Miller.

• Majesty likes this

#164 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,870 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted July 05, 2016 - 12:21 AM

This is going to be a scary team, as if they weren't good enough this season...

• Majesty likes this

#165 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,398 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 05, 2016 - 12:39 AM

How Kevin Durant Fits with the Warriors 

That's gonna be some beautiful offense to watch.  

Personally, I think the media hate Durant is getting is good for him, it will allow him to adapt even more of the "I don't give a [expletive] what the media says." attitude that Kobe has always wanted from him.  He always would show signs and then revert back   I think we're going to see an angrier, hungrier and more aggressive and meaner Durant next season and that's a scary thought. 

Everyone talking about what he won't be and such, don't be shocked if he winds up taking that team from Steph or at least having equal value on it.  

Keep in mind, calm, reserved, pc, nice guy Durant put up 28/8/5 last season with a block and a steal.  

So pissed off, angry, aggressive, don't give a [expletive] about the media Durant, getting better looks than he ever got in OKC is going to be a scary player.  
Like I said, if Durant gets 3 rings with 3 Finals MVP's then it doesn't matter how anyone feels right now, the narrative changes, and the stats Durant will have will put him up there with some of the greatest of all time and he'll just be 30-31.   

Personally, I think this is better for his legacy.  Why?  Because he was probably never going to win one in OKC, and was always going to be "this close" and that would be his legacy.  Oh he was a nice guy and a great player and one of the best shooters, but he could never win the big one. 

But if he goes to Golden State, under this much scrutiny and pressure, and TAKES that team, and leads them to three championships.... then suddenly the legacy changes.  Suddenly it becomes "Yeah he went to a Championship Team...and then became their best player on it and set across the run of the potentially best NBA team of all time, and he was it's best player." becomes the legacy. 

And if he finishes up this run with Golden State with 3 rings and 3 Finals MVP's there is no way someone can legitimately take it from him and go "well he's not a REAL champion..." Cause the league WILL adjust, it always does, and it won't be half as easy as people make it sound, especially given anything can happen in an NBA season or seasons.  

There's a reason there hasn't been a 3-peat since us, no matter how "Super" the team was, and how even the best NBA Regular Season team of all time didn't repeat as champions.    A cake walk this will NOT be, we should know that better than anyone, and I think that will be realized if the team makes it to the playoffs healthy.  

This is going to be a scary team, as if they weren't good enough this season...

That they were, but as the west proved, the playoffs was a different animal entirely.  People thought they'd run through the west like we did, even challenge our 15-1 run.  They went 12-5 instead. A team that lost 9 times all year, lost 5 times in the Western Conference Playoffs, and 9 Times in the Playoffs entirely.  82-9 Game Season but 15-9 in 24 games of the playoffs.    That slowed down pace was a different animal entirely than the season and it was proven emphatically.   

Which makes our 15-1 run where we scored 112 and held opponents to 98 through that entire playoff run all the more special :D and showed just how dominant we were!! ^_^   That dominance is the kind you take for granted as it happens but then you look back years later after so many teams have come and gone and just realize how special that was.    

Edited by Majesty, July 05, 2016 - 12:48 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#166 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted July 05, 2016 - 05:34 AM

I'm still shocked by this.

Sports, even more so at the professional level are about competition and trying to overcome obstacles. Allowing your mind to take your body to another level that feels impossible but accomplishing it anyway.

I never thought I'd say this but KD is a loser. Anything he wins on this team will never really hold as much weight versus had he chosen pretty much any other route.

Think about it. Say he wins 3 rings, people will always say "Yeah well he joined the 73 win GSW team (that he lost a 3-1 lead to mind you). There's no doubt in my mind that this is how he'll always be remembered.

I'm not even salty about it because the Lakers weren't winning soon and I assumed GSW was most likely to win next season anyways. So it's not as if I'm mad that the Warriors are going to win now.....I had pretty much accepted like most people that this was their window for a good amount of time.

I'm really just disappointed to see and athlete I looked up to and respected take the easy way out. He doesn't have a competitor mentality at all and I guess that's how I and the majority of people will always remember him.

Generally think you're a top poster here but i'm disagreeing on this one.

Dude has been in the league 9 years. Won 4 scoring titles. And back when Lebron chose Miami, KD quietly resigned w OKC going almost unnoticed and unspoken about.

He was inducted in the oklahoma HOF (not sports) and is generally the most community oriented nicest guy ever.

If 7+ years out of 9 at the very top of the league's elite players doesnt entitle a player to go and live where he wants and play with who he chooses why have free agency at all??

He deserves whatever choice he wanted to make.

And Presti was total class thanking KD in that presser last night...unlike Gilbert who chose to behave like a bitter old hag whose BF just broke up with him.

Edited by kball, July 05, 2016 - 05:43 AM.

• PuigNotLate and LakerGeezer like this

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#167 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,058 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 06:30 AM

^I didn't say he doesn't deserve to win nor did I say he wasn't free to choose to play where he wanted.

I said I'm disappointed that I thought he was someone that he is not. I looked up to him as an athlete these past 9 years but I was wrong to think he had an elite mentality when in reality he doesn't. I don't hate or dislike him for it, I'm just let down as a fan for thinking he was someone he isn't.

That's all.

#168 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,924 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 05, 2016 - 06:32 AM

Generally think you're a top poster here but i'm disagreeing on this one.

Dude has been in the league 9 years. Won 4 scoring titles. And back when Lebron chose Miami, KD quietly resigned w OKC going almost unnoticed and unspoken about.

He was inducted in the oklahoma HOF (not sports) and is generally the most community oriented nicest guy ever.

If 7+ years out of 9 at the very top of the league's elite players doesnt entitle a player to go and live where he wants and play with who he chooses why have free agency at all??

He deserves whatever choice he wanted to make.

And Presti was total class thanking KD in that presser last night...unlike Gilbert who chose to behave like a bitter old hag whose BF just broke up with him.

Good post.  An already elite team usually does not have the financial flexibility to make something like this happen.  A perfect financial storm allowed it this time- Curry's ridiculous undermarket deal (anyone want to take half or less their market value on their job?), and the huge single year pop in the salary cap.

The CBA was supposed to prevent this sort of thing, instead it actually facilitated it this time.  I dont like thsi from a competitive standpoint but completely agree that Durant has given OKC more than a fair chance to build a c-ship roster and has the right to go where he wants.

Edited by LakerGeezer, July 05, 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#169 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,924 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 06:49 AM

^I didn't say he doesn't deserve to win nor did I say he wasn't free to choose to play where he wanted.

I said I'm disappointed that I thought he was someone that he is not. I looked up to him as an athlete these past 9 years but I was wrong to think he had an elite mentality when in reality he doesn't. I don't hate or dislike him for it, I'm just let down as a fan for thinking he was someone he isn't.

That's all.

So the standard to look up to an athlete/ for them to have an elite mentality is that they not switch teams in order to chase a ring?

Of course no Laker has ever done that.

Robert Horry

Ron Harper

Horace Grant

Shaq

Wilt

Kareem

Kupchak

Linsey Hunter

Jamal Wilkes

(probably alot more if you research it)

Or are you just talking team leader types who switch teams to win a first ring, like Shaq and LOTS of others?

KD is, from everything I have read, a great human being.  I'll look up to that type of elite player no matter where he plays, ring or no ring.  The world needs more KDs and fewer Nick Young types.

•     likes this

#170 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,682 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 05, 2016 - 07:34 AM

LeBron still [expletive] to me and so is KD.

Essentially they are Shaq or Wilt.

Bird was a 3/4 like Bron and KD but had more guard in him.

More West, MJ and Kobe

#171 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted July 05, 2016 - 07:51 AM

These are my favorite posts from you. ^

Confusing from start to finish.

A rubiks cube of players and eras put in a stew and crapped out a sphincter

• Real Deal, LakersGAFan, artemis and 2 others like this

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#172 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,972 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 05, 2016 - 08:02 AM

Yea there were a lot of role players and stars that were traded for on that list.  Shaq is the only guy that applies and by all accounts he left Orlando because of Penny and money.  Compared to Orlando the Lakers, while a playoff team, were in a worse basketball situation.  Nothing the Lakers or any Laker player has done applies here.  KD left a true contender in the prime of his career to join the best team in basketball.  Honestly, I don't really care but the Laker connection is weak.    

#173 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,682 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 05, 2016 - 08:03 AM

Simply put.
KD and LBJ are bigs. Not guards. Not even wings.

So they are ranked differently

#174 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,058 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 08:27 AM

So the standard to look up to an athlete/ for them to have an elite mentality is that they not switch teams in order to chase a ring?

Of course no Laker has ever done that.

Robert Horry

Ron Harper

Horace Grant

Shaq

Wilt

Kareem

Kupchak

Linsey Hunter

Jamal Wilkes

(probably alot more if you research it)

Or are you just talking team leader types who switch teams to win a first ring, like Shaq and LOTS of others?

KD is, from everything I have read, a great human being.  I'll look up to that type of elite player no matter where he plays, ring or no ring.  The world needs more KDs and fewer Nick Young types.

I'm saying I felt KD was the type of talent and had the mentality of someone who could carry a championship team as the number 1 player on that team. The fact that he chose to go to a team where he's not even the main guy on it proves he just isn't that guy.

There's nothing wrong with since he clearly doesn't care what people think about it, but it's disappointing to find out I was wrong after 9 years. I truthfully thought he had what it took to get it done as the main option but he must not believe he can if he's giving up.

When Shaq left the Magic he didn't go to the Lakers to be the 2nd or even 3rd option. He went to be the man on that team. 

The list you posted is such a range of different players and the vast majority do not fit the mold of what I'm talking about whatsoever.

I'm not hating on KD as a human so I don't know where you got that from? Seems nitpicked literally out of nowhere. Also I don't like Nick Young, not sure why he'd even be in this convo.

#175 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,924 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 08:40 AM

I'm saying I felt KD was the type of talent and had the mentality of someone who could carry a championship team as the number 1 player on that team. The fact that he chose to go to a team where he's not even the main guy on it proves he just isn't that guy.

There's nothing wrong with since he clearly doesn't care what people think about it, but it's disappointing to find out I was wrong after 9 years. I truthfully thought he had what it took to get it done as the main option but he must not believe he can if he's giving up.

When Shaq left the Magic he didn't go to the Lakers to be the 2nd or even 3rd option. He went to be the man on that team. 

The list you posted is such a range of different players and the vast majority do not fit the mold of what I'm talking about whatsoever.

I'm not hating on KD as a human so I don't know where you got that from? Seems nitpicked literally out of nowhere. Also I don't like Nick Young, not sure why he'd even be in this convo.

Fair points I guess.  But now the argument seems to be who left their team to be "the man" on another team?  It keeps shifting.  Bottom line, he wants a ring or two.  If we went anywhere else- Celts, Clippers would you feel the same way?  I am guessing not because he would be the best player on those teams, but how is that any less treacherous from OKC's standpoint?

Lots of guys left their teams in all sorts of sports situations where they were "the man" because the team around them was not sufficient to win anything.  KD gave it plenty of time in OKC for them the build that roster and it didnt happen.

I dont completely disagree with you, but I bet most people who found themselves in similar situations would do the same thing.  "If you cant beat them join them" mindset is as old as dirt in all facets of life.  

#176 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,398 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 05, 2016 - 08:55 AM

I'm guessing KD was supposed to wait till the end of his prime on a team that couldn't get it done for 9 years and moved their best defender for Illyasova and then failed to land Horford.

OKC was never going to beat Cleveland and their best chance to beat the Warriors had passed. They were looking at becoming a team always "so close" but never getting it done. We've seen it countless times and seen stars wind up staying and assuming it's going further but the run was done.

We saw the best of what OKC was going to accomplish as a team last year after Harden. Even THEY obviously thought a change was needed which is why they moved Ibaka. But then they failed to truly make a splash because of their cap situation and no one in the freaking league wanted to take Kanter off their hands, eats that tell you?

Durant saw the writing on the wall and had to face his own mortality the past 3 seasons where two of them were injury filled. As I said way back then that all factors in and Durant knew the window was closing and giving OKC "one more shot" when it's been that since the Harden fiasco and for one reason or another it didn't happen.

Then THIS year the stars aligned, they played near flawlessly and Curry was injured and they had a 3-1 lead..and STILL lost.... last year was in a nutshell as far as OKC was going. It was only gonna get slightly worse. Till Westbrook left too.

And since Durant wasn't going to risk a 1+1 with OKC, he's doing it with the Warriors. Where he not only has a chance to win this season, but also get paid this off-season. It is what it is. But the writing was on the wall the moment they traded Ibaka and got nothing from it.

Replacing Waiters with Oladipo isn't a big enough change and trading in your beat defender in Ibaka for Illyasova and giving Kanter more defensive responsibilities? There's a reason they were trying to unload Kanter and get Horford whom even Durant was trying to recruit for OKC.

Once Horford signed with the Celtica, Durant's career in OKC was effectively and truly, done.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#177 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Legend

• 10,162 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 05, 2016 - 09:16 AM

I'm with JGuez on this. KD was always one of the players I looked up to. I didn't care for the "Mr. Unreliable" headlines or how at times media would state that KD was beta to Westbrook's alpha. At the end of the day, I always felt he'd channel that inner competitiveness and just dominate.

KD joined a team that he just lost a 3-1 series lead to in the WCF. It's not like KD was shooting lights and playing monster defense while Westbrook and the rest of the team weren't producing. Heck if KD had a better Game 6 or he hit clutch shots like he used to (3 chances to close it out)...he's in the Finals. He gets the title of knocking down the 73-9 team. 

He absolutely has the right to make his decision. He's a great person and likable guy. I'm not sure why people are bringing these up in arguments -- though I don't recall LeBron getting the same defense in 2010. 

Bottom line is my perception of KD was wrong. He's not that ultimate competitor I thought he was. 

• JGuez and BasketballIQ like this

#178 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,058 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 09:24 AM

Fair points I guess.  But now the argument seems to be who left their team to be "the man" on another team?  It keeps shifting.  Bottom line, he wants a ring or two.  If we went anywhere else- Celts, Clippers would you feel the same way?  I am guessing not because he would be the best player on those teams, but how is that any less treacherous from OKC's standpoint?

Lots of guys left their teams in all sorts of sports situations where they were "the man" because the team around them was not sufficient to win anything.  KD gave it plenty of time in OKC for them the build that roster and it didnt happen.

I dont completely disagree with you, but I bet most people who found themselves in similar situations would do the same thing.  "If you cant beat them join them" mindset is as old as dirt in all facets of life.  

It's not that he left OKC for me, it's simply that in my mind I thought he was an alpha dog type player and he chose a 73 win team he lost a 3-1 lead to.

Don't get me wrong, I think out of the teams he visited (that weren't the Warriors) that OKC was his best choice, but I wouldn't have faulted him for choosing say Boston or even the Clippers (as much as either of those choices would have hurt to see haha). The pitches there would be "Hey, we need YOU to take us to the next level". From the sounds of it the pitch from the Warriors was you need "US".

Basing it off this especially:

WPQmFQh.png

I think you'd agree with me when I say if Kobe had been in his shoes there is zero chance he would have joined the Warriors given all the circumstances of the past month and a half. 

No question if he felt he wasn't going to win it in OKC he should move on. It's his career and he's only going to get older. It's merely the fact of which team he chose in particular that has disappointed me.

I wouldn't have felt this way had he gone to the Clippers because like you just said, he would have been the #1 man there.

Edit: To add, I really do think any rings he wins are just not going to be looked at the same way had he won them elsewhere. Only time can prove me right or wrong though.

Edited by JGuez, July 05, 2016 - 09:26 AM.

#179 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,058 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 09:31 AM

Also....great on the Warriors.

Honestly great for them. Not only did they construct one of the best teams of all time, on top of that they were able to grab arguably this generations best scorer. (Yes there's a difference between a scorer (Durant/Kobe) and a shooter (Curry/Klay).)

That needs to be applauded in a lot of ways. They played their cards perfectly whether luck was involved or not.

Edited by JGuez, July 05, 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#180 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted July 05, 2016 - 12:14 PM

I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I believe KD is a better player than Curry all things considered. It might not happen immediately but like Majesty I think he'll take that title eventually.
  •     likes this

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users