252 replies to this topic

#181 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,924 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 05, 2016 - 12:37 PM

Anyone want to discuss Jerry West's role in all of this?  The players' yearlong recruitment certainly had an effect, but here is one more time that West had/ may have had a hand in substantially impacting a roster.

We sucked on the JW fumes until Kobe retired.  Memphis is seeing their run come to an end, with injuries/ age taking their toll and now crazy FA contracts.  GSW gets to enjoy the West effect for a few years.

We should have found a way to keep him happy and never let him leave, despite his problems with PJ.

• Majesty likes this

#182 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted July 05, 2016 - 02:25 PM

Of the many reasons for KD to decide on Warriors, with all due respect to Jerry Who ive watched play and talked to at the Forum a couple times, I'd say he might be down around 7-10 area.

2 straight finals

Championship roster

MVP and scoring champ (just like KD has been)

Money

Great city to live and work

Great GM (Myers)

Good owner it appears (Lacob)

Fantastic Coach

Less wear and tear on an aging body (fewer minutes)

A chat with Jerry West

Edited by kball, July 05, 2016 - 03:04 PM.

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#183 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

dwight got traded for the ends of the white🍞& an 🍊

• 8,763 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Blimey!

Posted July 05, 2016 - 04:55 PM

• Tensai likes this

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#184 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 29,757 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 05, 2016 - 05:39 PM

GEgX9Uo.gif

•    , Majesty, Lord Flashheart and 2 others like this

#185 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,398 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 05, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Eight Thunder staffers, plus owner Clay Bennett, went to the Hamptons and met with Durant around 3 p.m. They weren't all front-office executives. They were the people Durant worked with every day, from trainers, to equipment mangers, to support staff, to public relations. 

They didn't have anywhere to stay, and with the Fourth of July weekend a hectic time in the Hamptons, lodging was hard to come by. So the Thunder holed up at a Holiday Inn Express, located one mile away from Durant's compound, and waited. 

There were only six rooms available for nine people, so they shared. Clay Bennett, a multimillion-dollar owner, in a Holiday Inn Express, sharing a bed. Nothing was open, so they settled on a T.G.I. Friday's for a late dinner. 

And then they waited for the inevitable.

Imagine if this had been Jim and Mitch and this story came out..

• lakerfan98 likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

• 43,951 posts

Posted July 05, 2016 - 08:24 PM

GEgX9Uo.gif

Lol. That's some good stuff.

yo.

#187 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Off The Bench

• 1,422 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 05, 2016 - 09:43 PM

I'd be careful with giving LeBron too much credit with this "some help" vs. being a "millennial" nonsense. After all, this is the same dipsh-t who let his boys make the call on "The Decision", quoted Lil Wayne "ain't got no worries" after winning a chip, and acted like a complete millennial diva in his own right by trying to run the Cavs with his crew and failing to do so with the Heat.

For as good as he is, I'm never going to have sympathy for him.

#188 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,682 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 05, 2016 - 09:46 PM

http://www.usatoday....doses/86739796/

#189 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,991 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 05, 2016 - 11:36 PM

ok

ap1.png

#190 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,407 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 06, 2016 - 12:04 AM

These are my favorite posts from you. ^

Confusing from start to finish.

A rubiks cube of players and eras put in a stew and crapped out a sphincter

Top 10 LN post of all time.  I laughed really hard at that.

• Majesty and LakerGeezer like this

#191 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 12,226 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 06, 2016 - 04:35 AM

This entire occurrence and thread makes me appreciate and respect the legacy of #8/24 Kobe Bryant even more.

• Mr Terrific likes this

#192 I still miss OTR

I still miss OTR

└ABenchOnA?UEST

• 170 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Devean George

Posted July 06, 2016 - 06:47 AM

Once he had the phone call with Jerry West, I knew it was a done deal.  Just felt that way.

Rings incoming.

Yeah, I don't see who can beat a healthy Dubs team now. Shame, I hate Draymond more than anyone else I've ever hated in my life.

"Heroes come and go, but Legends live forever..."

hz9dnEm.png

facebook.com/BenchOnAQuest

#193 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,924 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 06, 2016 - 07:37 AM

Top 10 LN post of all time.  I laughed really hard at that.

BBIQ operates on another intellectual plane, you guys are just not worthy.

Seriously, when the guy takes the time to actually write full sentences, explain his thought process in a logical order, walk us through his conclusion and not go into attack dog mode, he adds alot to the discussion.

•     and kball like this

#194 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 06, 2016 - 09:15 AM

As a former basketball player and someone that tries to study this game with a passion, I was disappointed. I got a chance to play with Reggie Miller and he’s in the hall of fame and I was just thinking, imagine if we would have lost to the Knicks or the Bulls and all of a sudden the next year, he joined that team. Or if Isaiah Thomas would have lost to the Boston Celtics and he joined that team. Or Magic or Larry would have lost to the Lakers or Celtics and the next year they joined that team. They were up 3-1 against the Golden State Warriors. They beat the 67 win San Antonio Spurs. I know these decisions are bigger than what happens actually on the basketball court, but as the superstar, as the leader, you’re rallying 14 other players. And as a team and as management we are building a roster around your strengths and your weaknesses. And Russell Westbrook has nurtured to be one of the top 5 players in the entire game. For him to leave that team, after he had just lost to the team in the playoffs, it just felt dirty to me

-Jalen Rose

Perfectly said

• Mr Terrific, Tensai and JGuez like this

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

#195 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 764 posts
  • Name:Dylan
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 06, 2016 - 09:20 AM

People are getting way too emotional about this. It's kind of ridiculous.

•     likes this

#196 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,763 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 11:39 AM

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#197 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,398 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 06, 2016 - 12:13 PM

lol @ everyone saying the Thunder were suddenly gonna be the best team in the West.    

Amazing how they escape criticism after giving up a 3-1 lead to the Warriors, but the Warriors get all the scrutiny for losing to Cleveland.   

This 'selective' choice stuff to sell whatever narrative they want is tiring.  But it's the media in the nutshell. 

So the Thunders were the favorites to win a title next year, but the Warriors were gonna go to the finals again without Durant?   Which one is it?   Gotta pick one.   

•     likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#198 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,763 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 12:26 PM

I don't care what anybody says. Steph Curry is overrated. He wasn't Finals MVP last year, And Draymond was on his way to being Finals MVP if the Warriors won Game 7. The Warriors need a Closer, since Curry let the season MVPs & Ayesha's tweets get to his head. Durant gives them The Closer they need.

#199 DTIII

DTIII

"I am one with the force, the force is with me."

• 6,174 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fav. Laker:All Time: Kobe Current: LeBron

Posted July 06, 2016 - 01:20 PM

https://twitter.com/...789601841803264

EyMlHkX.jpg

#200 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,058 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 01:41 PM

lol @ everyone saying the Thunder were suddenly gonna be the best team in the West.    

Amazing how they escape criticism after giving up a 3-1 lead to the Warriors, but the Warriors get all the scrutiny for losing to Cleveland.   

This 'selective' choice stuff to sell whatever narrative they want is tiring.  But it's the media in the nutshell. 

So the Thunders were the favorites to win a title next year, but the Warriors were gonna go to the finals again without Durant?   Which one is it?   Gotta pick one.   

Okay so do you think the Cavaliers last year were better than the Warriors last year because the Cavs won?

I thought the Thunder played better than the Warriors and lost, and I thought the Warriors were better than the Cavs and lost.

Just because 1 team loses it doesn't make them worse, and the same as if 1 team winning doesn't make them better.

Edited by JGuez, July 06, 2016 - 01:41 PM.

• Tensai likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users