• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,591 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted August 23, 2016 - 11:31 AM

Dwight just isn't dominant anymore cause he's lost that athleticism that he had in Orlando. When you're an athletic freak, you can either add some serious skill to your game to extend the value of your career, or you can just keep on trying to ride out whatever athleticism you have.

Seems like he's been working on his shot, which is long overdue. At least this offseason has been about getting him out of the post. He's going to a team where he's gonna need to learn how to pass in order to stay on the floor. If he can improve as a passer and add a jumper to his game then Atlanta becomes a force to reckon with. Obviously this won't happen overnight, but it doesn't seem like they're in a rush to make it all happen with the Warriors Cavs and Spurs being as good as they are. I'll reserve judgement until next season given we see some steps in the right direction this season.

#22 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,535 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted August 23, 2016 - 12:49 PM

Back to that playoff prediction in the east, I think a case can be made that other than GS and maybe Cavs, every other seeding in both conferences is completely up for grabs.

Which should make both the season and the playoffs somewhat exciting until GS and the Cavs meet for the 3rd straight season

• LakerGeezer likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#23 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,280 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 23, 2016 - 01:05 PM

He's still legit a top athletic C though.  Out of say the top 5-8 Cs in the league he's still probably more athletic than those guys.  Dwight just seems like he cares too much about critics to the point it effects him on the court.  Like the shooting thing.  I've read that he's been shooting jumpers for years.  Just won't attempt them in games due to criticism.  Imagine Dwight taking jumpers and missing too many.  

Dwight just isn't dominant anymore cause he's lost that athleticism that he had in Orlando. When you're an athletic freak, you can either add some serious skill to your game to extend the value of your career, or you can just keep on trying to ride out whatever athleticism you have.

Seems like he's been working on his shot, which is long overdue. At least this offseason has been about getting him out of the post. He's going to a team where he's gonna need to learn how to pass in order to stay on the floor. If he can improve as a passer and add a jumper to his game then Atlanta becomes a force to reckon with. Obviously this won't happen overnight, but it doesn't seem like they're in a rush to make it all happen with the Warriors Cavs and Spurs being as good as they are. I'll reserve judgement until next season given we see some steps in the right direction this season.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#24 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,591 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted August 23, 2016 - 01:10 PM

He's still legit a top athletic C though. Out of say the top 5-8 Cs in the league he's still probably more athletic than those guys. Dwight just seems like he cares too much about critics to the point it effects him on the court. Like the shooting thing. I've read that he's been shooting jumpers for years. Just won't attempt them in games due to criticism. Imagine Dwight taking jumpers and missing too many.

The time to practice that would've been under Mike D'Antoni. Sure he was scared of LA fans and apparently Kobe, but if he had put in the appropriate work then MDA would've given him the green light to take a handful of jumpers per game.

When I'm thinking modern athletic bigs, I'm ranking Orlando Dwight at the top, then DeAndre Jordan type where he makes his complete living off athleticism, then finally current Dwight with less athleticism. Sure, still in the top, but there's a noticeable gap between him and a guy like DJ.

Edited by bigvee, August 23, 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#25 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted August 23, 2016 - 02:55 PM

He's still legit a top athletic C though.  Out of say the top 5-8 Cs in the league he's still probably more athletic than those guys.  Dwight just seems like he cares too much about critics to the point it effects him on the court.  Like the shooting thing.  I've read that he's been shooting jumpers for years.  Just won't attempt them in games due to criticism.  Imagine Dwight taking jumpers and missing too many.  

Would you say he is more atheltic than:

Cousins

Jordan

Drummond

Whiteside

Gobert

Towns

If not, then he's really not a "top" C any more.

I can make an argument that he is at the bottom of the next group of Cs as well.

#26 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,280 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 05:57 PM

You may have something with Towns but he's still as athletic as Jordan, Whiteside and Gobert.  Drummond im not sure. 

I think Dwight losing athleticism doesnt mean he's really lost it.  He's just down to those guys level

Would you say he is more atheltic than:

Cousins

Jordan

Drummond

Whiteside

Gobert

Towns

If not, then he's really not a "top" C any more.

I can make an argument that he is at the bottom of the next group of Cs as well.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#27 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,549 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 06:40 PM

I think people need to stop measuring Dwight against pre 2012 MVP-level Dwight. Yeah, he's not at that level anymore, but that doesn't mean he's not among the best at his position, which I still believe he is. Him falling off from that level is bad, but if you separate what he is now from what he once was, he's still a very good big man.

Dude has the mental fortitude of a high-schooler, but he can still play. If he can get past that in ATL, I still think he has a few 17/12/2/60% seasons.

#28 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted August 23, 2016 - 08:24 PM

I think people need to stop measuring Dwight against pre 2012 MVP-level Dwight. Yeah, he's not at that level anymore, but that doesn't mean he's not among the best at his position, which I still believe he is. Him falling off from that level is bad, but if you separate what he is now from what he once was, he's still a very good big man.

Dude has the mental fortitude of a high-schooler, but he can still play. If he can get past that in ATL, I still think he has a few 17/12/2/60% seasons.

shoulda been the MVP in 2011, thought he got robbed.

#29 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

dwight got traded for the ends of the white๐Ÿž& an ๐ŸŠ

• 8,758 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Blimey!

Posted August 24, 2016 - 06:24 PM

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#30 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,446 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 25, 2016 - 02:21 AM

Dwight is not a bad person

ap1.png

#31 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,280 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 07:38 AM

Cowherd is a [expletive]ing idiot.  Typical [expletive] ass sports journalist jealous of athletes.

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,669 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 29, 2016 - 01:15 AM

Nerd / jock.

Dwight lacks authenticity which hurts his game but he isn't a bad person.

Maybe hard for his teammates to embrace.

#33 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,280 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 06:19 AM

Nothing about Cowherd makes him a nerd.  He's just a dweeb. 

#34 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,669 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 29, 2016 - 09:59 AM

Need, square, lame, dweeb

#35 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Dwight is not a bad person

5 babies by 5 different women

Allegations of relationship with underage girl

Multiple allegations of abusing his own children

Multiple lawsuits filed by him against his baby mamas

Mulitple lawsuits filed agianst him for unpaid child support

And that does not include anything bball related.   None of us are angels, but geez ....

• LakersGAFan, Mr Terrific and Majesty like this

#36 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,535 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted August 30, 2016 - 04:35 AM

If true....wow.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#37 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,280 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 09:09 AM

Im not going to fully judge him on those accusations.  It does speak to how he carries himself with women though.  I've also spoken on how he's somewhat Karl Malone ish that he didn't acknowledge his kids.  Houston did a happy father's day for him and he only had the 1 kid that everyone knew he fathered some years back. 

5 babies by 5 different women

Allegations of relationship with underage girl

Multiple allegations of abusing his own children

Multiple lawsuits filed by him against his baby mamas

Mulitple lawsuits filed agianst him for unpaid child support

And that does not include anything bball related.   None of us are angels, but geez ....

#38 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 05:15 PM

Im not going to fully judge him on those accusations.  It does speak to how he carries himself with women though.  I've also spoken on how he's somewhat Karl Malone ish that he didn't acknowledge his kids.  Houston did a happy father's day for him and he only had the 1 kid that everyone knew he fathered some years back. 

Accusations?  Only the allegations of child abuse and the underage girl are unproven.  What else do you need?  Or is this like Hillary's basement computer?

#39 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 31, 2016 - 06:48 PM

There's also the relationship he had with that 15 year old girl.  That was when he took that leave of absence from the Rockets which avoided the story. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#40 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,446 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 31, 2016 - 07:11 PM

[expletive] dwight howard.

haha jk. well don't wanna judge.. but only so many  things can be just "assumptions".. ya know..

ap1.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users