#2 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,632 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 01, 2016 - 05:40 PM

ATL is very excited.....for some reason

So were we.  So were the Rockets fans.  Hawks fans will know soon enough.  

So where does Horford land now?

Debbie Downer

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,660 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 01, 2016 - 05:45 PM

So were we.  So were the Rockets fans.  Hawks fans will know soon enough.  

So where does Horford land now?

To be fair lakers and rockets got dwight in his prime. Hawks...not so much. 

#4 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,370 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 01, 2016 - 05:47 PM

Different expectations for different franchises I guess.  I'd be ecstatic if I were a Knicks fan right now.  The Hawks were losing Horford and they got a hometown name / former all star and DPOY  to replace him instead of hitting the reset button.    

#5 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,632 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Different expectations for different franchises I guess.  I'd be ecstatic if I were a Knicks fan right now.  The Hawks were losing Horford and they got a hometown name / former all star and DPOY  to replace him instead of hitting the reset button.    

I would be confused and disappointed if I were a Knicks fan.  Rose, Noah, and maybe Gordon?  Or (outside chance) Wade?  Is PJ putting together an injury ward or a bball team?

Debbie Downer

#6 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,370 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 06:12 PM

I would be confused and disappointed if I were a Knicks fan.  Rose, Noah, and maybe Gordon?  Or (outside chance) Wade?  Is PJ putting together an injury ward or a bball team?

Are you sure?  That sounds like something a Laker fan pretending to be a Knicks fan would say Lol.  You gotta take out the championship mentality all together; it's not easy.  1973 man.  Yes perhaps trading Melo and rebuilding is a better option but by all indications he has no desire to leave.  In that's the case you might as well make win now moves and they've done that without trading any future picks.  The Knicks aren't really known for attracting free agents so if a slew of them are all suddenly interested how can you say no?  Would Howard at 23 million or a 36 year old Pau have been a better option and is there any guarantee they would have signed?  What SG out there is better than the options they're currently interested in (Wade, Lee, Gordon)?     

Edited by lakerfan98, July 01, 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#7 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,632 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Are you sure?  That sounds like something a Laker fan pretending to be a Knicks fan would say Lol.  You gotta take out the championship mentality all together; it's not easy.  1973 man.  Yes perhaps trading Melo and rebuilding is a better option but by all indications he has no desire to leave.  In that's the case you might as well make win now moves and they've done that without trading any future picks.  The Knicks aren't really known for attracting free agents so if a slew of them are all suddenly interested how can you say no?  Would Howard at 23 million or a 36 year old Pau have been a better option and is there any guarantee they would have signed?  What SG out there is better than the options they're currently interested in (Wade, Lee, Gordon)?     

I get your point.  Many Knicks fans are delusional, as much as Lakers fans.  

But at some point you gotta face reality.  It's not even a PO roster with Melo as the star.  I thought hiring PJ was an attempt to move in the right direction.  They have a great young player and some decent role players.  There's not a ton there, but it was headed in the right direction at least.  I'd have been moving Melo for picks and young players, building around Porzingis and the role players.  I would overpay for a couple healthy FAs.  Rondo comes to mind.  The Rose trade was dumb, signing Noah even dumber.  At best they become 2nd round PO exit team, at worst they are all injured and miss the POs.  High risk, high cost, low ceiling.  Dumb.

Debbie Downer

#8 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,370 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 06:35 PM

I get your point.  Many Knicks fans are delusional, as much as Lakers fans.  

But at some point you gotta face reality.  It's not even a PO roster with Melo as the star.  I thought hiring PJ was an attempt to move in the right direction.  They have a great young player and some decent role players.  There's not a ton there, but it was headed in the right direction at least.  I'd have been moving Melo for picks and young players, building around Porzingis and the role players.  I would overpay for a couple healthy FAs.  Rondo comes to mind.  The Rose trade was dumb, signing Noah even dumber.  At best they become 2nd round PO exit team, at worst they are all injured and miss the POs.  High risk, high cost, low ceiling.  Dumb.

Based on the options available I think they've done well.  If we're talking about Melo hypothetically waiving his no trade clause and the Knicks rebuilding that's a different discussion entirely.  Might as well go back and discuss if the Knicks should have re-signed him in the first place or whether they should have refused to give him the no trade clause.   

Edited by lakerfan98, July 01, 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#9 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,632 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Based on the options available I think they've done well.  If we're talking about Melo hypothetically waiving his no trade clause and the Knicks rebuilding that's a different discussion entirely.  Might as well go back and discuss if the Knicks should have re-signed him in the first place or whether they should have refused to give him the no trade clause.   

Meh.

Back to the OP's point.  Hawks fans are purty happy right now.  Let's check in about Christmas and see how they feel.

http://hawksquawk.ne...million/?page=2

Debbie Downer

#10 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,485 posts

Posted July 01, 2016 - 08:31 PM

I would rather have Horford at the max.
  • LakerGeezer likes this

#11 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 20,344 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 01, 2016 - 09:50 PM

Whatever it takes for East teams to get better every year.

Edited by Lakersfan1211, July 01, 2016 - 09:50 PM.

#12 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,336 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 01, 2016 - 10:09 PM

RIP Atlanta.

I think all of his money is guaranteed, by the way...no options.  Hilarious.

#13 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,839 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 02, 2016 - 05:22 AM

So Baze stays
Dwight goes home
Al may leave....

#14 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,557 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 02, 2016 - 05:24 AM

RIP Atlanta.

I think all of his money is guaranteed, by the way...no options. Hilarious.

I was expecting much much more for him after all of these contracts

#15 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 02, 2016 - 05:54 AM

RIP Atlanta.

I think all of his money is guaranteed, by the way...no options.  Hilarious.

Amnestied year 3!

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#16 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

dwight got traded for the ends of the white๐Ÿž& an ๐ŸŠ

• 8,740 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Blimey!

Posted July 02, 2016 - 08:38 AM

The Hawks are now The Pigeons

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#17 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,697 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 02, 2016 - 11:01 AM

Bigfetz, D12 was still injured while here so not his prime per se. And not just physically. As I've said "You wear the uni butu you're not a Laker!" Dwight just has big grin. 

#18 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 12,219 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 23, 2016 - 04:21 AM

I was listening to the Dukes and Bell show on Atlanta's 92.9 Sport talk radio and they were interviewing Dwight Howard, and I heard something that I wanted to share.

I will do my best to paraphrase and quote. So its not the exact word for word transcript, but its close...and I'm not skewing the point of what came across at all.

Dukes/Bell: "This is an exciting time for Atlanta basketball to have you, in the past we haven't had the go to star, a leader, someone that could could step up and call this team their own, this time we do, this is the time for Dwight, this was the Hawks show and now its the Dwight show."

Dwight Howard: "No no, no. Its not the Dwight show its the Hawks show. I'm about team. Team and winning. Whatever it takes to get the win. I feel like over the past 2-3 seasons fans had the perception that I was a selfish player and only all about myself, I dont want people to think I'm a selfish player."

I just shook my head and giggled. Same ol' D12. Afraid to accept responsibility and be the focal point and leader of a team. And more worried about what fans think of him and if people "like him" than he is about stepping up and taking his team, his role and his play to the next level. All in efforts to avoid pressure and scrutiny. But he has no issue cashing the $23,180,275.00 check that a franchise player is paid. Hawks made a big mistake. And I know its not fair to judge his outcome over a radio interview so I'm not. Im using his entire body of work. This interview is just an indication he hasn't changed.

• UKUGA and LakerGeezer like this

code_zpsj83hyqrt.jpg

#19 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 23, 2016 - 06:07 AM

Dwight always says the right things in preseason but we'll see if he's still stuck on being a post offense option instead of being used a roll/dive man and controlling the paint.  ATL could be nasty if he just focuses there.  

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#20 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,632 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 11:01 AM

ATL could be nasty if he just focuses there.  

Assuming DW is healthy 65+ games next year, here is how I would rank the East:

-Cavs

-Celtics

-Raptors

-Bulls 

-Pacers

-Pistons

-Wiz

-Hawks

-Heat

-Bobcats

Depending on injuries and breakout years, Hawks could go anywhere up to #4 or out of the POs completely.  Losing 2 borderline all stars (Horford and Teague) in one off season and replacing them with inferior players is not exactly a recipe for success. Add the loss of Carroll last year, and  I think the Hawks are blowing up the roster without saying it.

Debbie Downer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users