3668 replies to this topic

#3361 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,319 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 11, 2017 - 07:06 PM

You probably have never played with any real money either. Easy to say that when you know making that type of money isn't a realistic thing.

It's not about that. Money has never been that important so to speak to me. I would have no problem leaving money on the table. Being at peace is priceless. No way in hell I stay with the Kings organization.

#3362 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 07:53 PM

I don't see a realistic trade for Noel.

Would any of you do Williams and a future 1st rounder?

I assume 76ers would want to unlift the protection and/or Clarkson. I wouldn't do it if I were Mitch.

I would do it for sure.

The only thing about trading for Noel is you are committing to maxing him out IMO because another team will. I personally think he'd be worth maxing and having on this young/growing roster.

He's 22, is actually very solid, his game compliments a lot of teams who want to shoot. 

He just got unlucky that he didn't mesh well with Okafor, and now Embiid is clearly the better prospect for them to give minutes to. 

#3363 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 07:56 PM

It's not about that. Money has never been that important so to speak to me. I would have no problem leaving money on the table. Being at peace is priceless. No way in hell I stay with the Kings organization.

It's tens of millions of dollars being left on the table. I doubt you would pass on it if given the opportunity, but I don't know you so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you'd only think about yourself but a lot of people in that position would consider the money they could leave for their family and kids one day. It's really an absurd amount of money to be turning down.

Championships aren't guaranteed in the NBA but contract money is....

#3364 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,091 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted January 11, 2017 - 08:14 PM

I would do it for sure.

The only thing about trading for Noel is you are committing to maxing him out IMO because another team will. I personally think he'd be worth maxing and having on this young/growing roster.

He's 22, is actually very solid, his game compliments a lot of teams who want to shoot. 

He just got unlucky that he didn't mesh well with Okafor, and now Embiid is clearly the better prospect for them to give minutes to.

Giving up Lou equals tank mode. Short term this trade hurts us and I'm not sure if it even benefits us long term considering the fact that we will be forced to overpay a pretty average C. The hope is that he will improve to be worth the contract but that isn't guaranteed. If he's a RFA and Sixers are trying to get rid of him, why not just wait it out and offers him a contract that Philly won't match?

#3365 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,135 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 11, 2017 - 08:27 PM

I think you're overthinking it.  Cousins' plays basketball for a living.  A GAME.  He gets paid millions to do what most do for free.  You are a fan and from the outside looking in you dont like whats going on in SAC but if hes comfy with it and getting paid nearly double to stay thats not a bad decision.  Leaving 80m on the table to possibly walk into what could be a lesser situation for him and his family personally may not be ideal.  

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#3366 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:11 PM

Giving up Lou equals tank mode. Short term this trade hurts us and I'm not sure if it even benefits us long term considering the fact that we will be forced to overpay a pretty average C. The hope is that he will improve to be worth the contract but that isn't guaranteed. If he's a RFA and Sixers are trying to get rid of him, why not just wait it out and offers him a contract that Philly won't match?

I happen to think he's better than an average C and is actually going to be a lot better if he put in the right situation.....but I absolutely agree with you that you're right about not giving up much for him. He will be an RFA and if they dont want him, he's ours to steal.

#3367 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:18 PM

More the reason to move him before the deadline.

#3368 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,535 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:27 PM

I don't see a realistic trade for Noel.

Would any of you do Williams and a future 1st rounder?

I assume 76ers would want to unlift the protection and/or Clarkson. I wouldn't do it if I were Mitch.

Wouldn't move a future 1st rounder for Noel. Looking at the mess over these past few seasons i think moving future 1st rounders is a bad idea.

Clarkson + removal of protection would probably get it done.

In all honesty, if a deal with the Lakers can happen, then its because Sixers aren't interested in matching what Noel is offered, so i would probably try to throw him a max. If we get him, great, if not, then at least the Sixers pay max Money.

#3369 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:33 PM

Wouldn't move a future 1st rounder for Noel. Looking at the mess over these past few seasons i think moving future 1st rounders is a bad idea.

Clarkson + removal of protection would probably get it done.

In all honesty, if a deal with the Lakers can happen, then its because Sixers aren't interested in matching what Noel is offered, so i would probably try to throw him a max. If we get him, great, if not, then at least the Sixers pay max Money.

I'd much rather trade a future 1st rounder (2021) than lifting the protection.

• kidpolean likes this

#3370 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,535 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:48 PM

Nope, wouldn't want to give that up. Who knows what'll happen these next few years. Lottery system could change. We could be really bad.

#3371 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,091 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:52 PM

I agree. We know we suck this year and we may be a contender or close to it in 2021. Honestly, I don't want to give up Clarkson either way.

#3372 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:56 PM

Nope, wouldn't want to give that up. Who knows what'll happen these next few years. Lottery system could change. We could be really bad.

Chances are Lakers should be in a better position in the future than now. Besides, you said this draft is one of the deepest in a while, why give up the protection when this team may very well be in play?

Anyway, Im indifferent about Noel. Part of me hope Lakers trade for him and get a deal in summer time like JC. OTOH, committing a fat contract to someone who hasnt established himself may be a mistake.

We'll see..

• lakersince75 likes this

#3373 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:58 PM

I agree. We know we suck this year and we may be a contender or close to it in 2021. Honestly, I don't want to give up Clarkson either way.

Yes exactly.

#3374 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,535 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 11:12 PM

Chances are Lakers should be in a better position in the future than now. Besides, you said this draft is one of the deepest in a while, why give up the protection when this team may very well be in play?

Anyway, Im indifferent about Noel. Part of me hope Lakers trade for him and get a deal in summer time like JC. OTOH, committing a fat contract to someone who hasnt established himself may be a mistake.

We'll see..

Well, that was the same logic that made us give up all those picks for Nash. Look at the Nets' situation, that's also because they assumed they would be good. That said, it could be a lottery protected first, though, which would make it better. Just dont think that its worth giving up future assets for a guy that perhaps could be aquired in free agency.

Wouldn't want to give up the protection in this year's draft under any circumstances. That pick would be the key in terms of adding a superstar.

In a perfect world, we get a lucky bounce and keep the pick. Then offer Noel a lucrative deal in free agency, which Philly doesn't match.

Russell - Fultz/Ball - Ingram - Randle - Noel

Russell - Ingram - Jackson - Randle - Noel

That team could contend in a couple of years.

#3375 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 11:13 PM

Well, that was the same logic that made us give up all those picks for Nash. Look at the Nets' situation, that's also because they assumed they would be good. That said, it could be a lottery protected first, though, which would make it better. Just dont think that its worth giving up future assets for a guy that perhaps could be aquired in free agency.

Wouldn't want to give up the protection in this year's draft under any circumstances. That pick would be the key in terms of adding a superstar.

In a perfect world, we get a lucky bounce and keep the pick. Then offer Noel a lucrative deal in free agency, which Philly doesn't match.

Russell - Fultz/Ball - Ingram - Randle - Noel

Russell - Ingram - Jackson - Randle - Noel

That team could contend in a couple of years.

The Lakers and Nets had a small window to compete. Not the same case here. 

#3376 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 11:19 PM

Danish,

I dont normally watch college bball, happened to watch multiple games of Kentucky in 2014 and Ohio because of Russell < We ended up drafting Randle and Russell lol.

I've seen couple of youtube highlights of ball, and his shot form is really bad imo, kinda surprised you have him as an SG in your lineup. 

Edited by Ventiquattro, January 11, 2017 - 11:20 PM.

#3377 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,535 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 11:26 PM

The Lakers and Nets had a small window to compete. Not the same case here. 

Yeah, i know and in the Lakers' case i dont think it was a bad idea at the time. No excuse for what the Nets did, though.

But the result was the same - not being good enough to compete and picks owed to other teams is the worst situation you can be in. We've been extremly lucky that we've been able to keep the picks so far.

Danish,

I dont normally watch college bball, happened to watch multiple games of Kentucky in 2014 and Ohio because of Russell < We ended up drafting Randle and Russell lol.

I've seen couple of youtube highlights of ball, and his shot form is really bad imo, kinda surprised you have him as an SG in your lineup. 

Ball is 6'6'' and with the Lakers he'd likely guard 2s, and share PG duties with Russell on the offensive end. I know Ball's shot looks like [expletive], but he's hitting .432% on more than 5 attempts, so it could be sustainable. He really looks special.

#3378 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,017 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 12, 2017 - 03:56 AM

Still a fan of clarkson.

Other than guys like Derozen, Klay and CJ...which 2's are THAT much better or more desirable having than Jordan.

Could be a 17 point scorer by next season or the one after.

And he's proven to have range and be a key shot maker imo.

And no his game isn't perfect. He's sure one of the best reserves in the league. And how good can one be only getting 10-12ish shots a game?

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#3379 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,535 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 05:44 AM

Still a fan of clarkson.

Other than guys like Derozen, Klay and CJ...which 2's are THAT much better or more desirable having than Jordan.

Could be a 17 point scorer by next season or the one after.

And he's proven to have range and be a key shot maker imo.

And no his game isn't perfect. He's sure one of the best reserves in the league. And how good can one be only getting 10-12ish shots a game?

I'm not sure if you're trolling here.

The guy is ok as a back-up combo guard, but he's literally one of the worst defenders in the league and he's hardly improved from his rookie season.

I could quickly find 30 SGs i'd take ahead of him.

#3380 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,061 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted January 12, 2017 - 09:45 AM

I'm not sure if you're trolling here.

The guy is ok as a back-up combo guard, but he's literally one of the worst defenders in the league and he's hardly improved from his rookie season.

I could quickly find 30 SGs i'd take ahead of him.

I agree he has been a major disappointment but there is no way there are 30 SG better then him.
  • lakerfan98 likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)