Welcome Ivica Zubac

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

#61 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,283 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 10:47 PM

It's crazy thinking both Ingram and Zubac are born in 1997...

Kobe was drafted in 1996.

Man, time flies.

• GCMD and KidRN like this

fXlFKv8.gif

#62 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,265 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 23, 2016 - 11:13 PM

his idols are marc gasol

i think we got a steal there

possibly luke will build him up into a bogut 2.0

id be glad with that

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#63 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,336 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 23, 2016 - 11:19 PM

Zubac will compliment our shooters well.  I watched quite a bit of footage on him just a bit ago, and he's definitely a traditional center.  There's a lot of room to improve on both ends of the floor, but I'm excited to see how well he handles the increased level of play, because he actually has some pretty good post moves and runs the floor well.

The screens he sets are almost always illegal, though, because each time I saw one, he tends to move.  That's something he has to fix, and it would be nice if he had a consistent mid-range jumper, even though he's going to be posting up a lot.  Of course, the NBA doesn't call illegal screens as much as they should, but we never seem to get away with anything, lol.

Honestly, I was kind of hoping for Skal Labissiere to fall into the second round, because at that point, he's a low-risk, high-reward player...but I'm good with Zubac.

• Tensai, Majesty, KarlCalaguas12 and 1 other like this

#64 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 23, 2016 - 11:22 PM

Ivica Zubac is a 7’1 center from Croatia, measurements are listed at 265 pounds, 7’4 wingspan.

Lakers haven't had a Euro center like Ivica Zubac since ... Vlade Divac. 7'1" kid with full package. STEAL.

Ivica Zubac (No. 32 LAL draft pick): "The Lakers were my No. 1 thing since I started playing basketball & Kobe was my favorite player."

Ivica Zubac said he expects to play for the Lakers next season (as in, he’s not going to be a draft & stash guy).

Ivica Zubac said he watched Kobe Bryant’s last game at 4:00am, woke up to practice at 10am that next day.

Ivica Zubac said he owns the following Lakers jerseys: Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum, and Pau Gasol.

I can see Ivica Zubac becoming a Lakers fan favorite reaallll quick. That guy was a blast for us media folk to chat with on the phone.

Mitch Kupchak emphasized that Ivica Zubac is young but said he "reminded me of NBA players in this league that have made it."

Mitch Kupchak on whether Ivica Zubac will play w/ Lakers next year: "I believe he would like to play next year & we’re not opposed to that."

If possible, Mitch Kupchak says he would like Ivica Zubac to play in Summer League.

Mitch Kupchak’s reaction post- draft: "I think we’ve added more talent. Clearly we’re very happy with Brandon (Ingram)."

• DanishLakerFan, JGuez, K-Kris and 1 other like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#65 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,711 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 23, 2016 - 11:52 PM

Mitch Kupchak on whether Ivica Zubac will play w/ Lakers next year: "I believe he would like to play next year & we’re not opposed to that."

LOL. That is about at Kupchaky an answer as you can possibly get. 

Happy we got the guy, although i didn't know much about him. As a third C, i dont see why he wouldn't log a few minutes.

•     likes this

#66 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,283 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 11:55 PM

I can see young Marc Gasol in him. He has the balance, and has soft touch in the paint.

• Majesty likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#67 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 2,266 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 24, 2016 - 01:33 AM

POPULAR

Okay, I've got a bit of time. So Zubac played for Cibona when I watched him, and he played behind Zizic (and washed up veterans) even though he was clearly a better player. Zizic was selected by Celtics as I said, and is good, don't get me wrong, but Zubac's ceiling is higher.

First thing that stands out is that he is really big and actually has pretty good mobility. He is good at running breaks, and scored a bunch of points this season just by outrunning his man. He has soft touch around the rim and good back to the basket technique.

I remember watching a game live which he single-handedly turned in our favour. In about 5 minutes of the third quarter he had 12 points and 3 blocks and controled the paint. Which brings the topic of his defense.

His man to man defense is average to below average I would say, but he can improve. He did hold his ground often against older and more experienced players. His lack od athleticism is a limiting factor but he has a good head on his shoulder and understands the concepts of team and help defense. Also has a natural talent for blocking shots.

He had a rough season and terminated the contract with the old team because of the lack of playing time, so he didn't play for about 1 or 2 months (I think that is why he slipped to second round) until they solved the problem on sports court and his team got the money they wanted so he was free to find a new team. Also, his injury is nothing to worry about.

I would say if everything pans out perfectly he could be close to Marc Gasol, but it's safer to say that he will be a servicable big of the bench for period of 20 minutes a game. And I hope Kareem will work with him because he already has a smooth touch around the rim. If I remember something else, I will write it down later, I'm in a bit of a hurry. Although you have many scouting videos and footage If you want to know something more feel free to ask me.
  • GCMD, Massacre, UKUGA and 12 others like this
Impossible is nothing.

#68 dazz

dazz

• 1,204 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 02:37 AM

he didn't play for about 1 or 2 months (I think that is why he slipped to second round) [...] Also, his injury is nothing to worry about.

Really love to read this is the probable reason why he wasn't drafted earlier

hsl17b.jpg

#69 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,265 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 02:58 AM

Ivica Zubac is a 7’1 center from Croatia, measurements are listed at 265 pounds, 7’4 wingspan.

Lakers haven't had a Euro center like Ivica Zubac since ... Vlade Divac. 7'1" kid with full package. STEAL.

Ivica Zubac (No. 32 LAL draft pick): "The Lakers were my No. 1 thing since I started playing basketball & Kobe was my favorite player."

Ivica Zubac said he expects to play for the Lakers next season (as in, he’s not going to be a draft & stash guy).

Ivica Zubac said he watched Kobe Bryant’s last game at 4:00am, woke up to practice at 10am that next day.

Ivica Zubac said he owns the following Lakers jerseys: Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum, and Pau Gasol.

I can see Ivica Zubac becoming a Lakers fan favorite reaallll quick. That guy was a blast for us media folk to chat with on the phone.

Mitch Kupchak emphasized that Ivica Zubac is young but said he "reminded me of NBA players in this league that have made it."

If possible, Mitch Kupchak says he would like Ivica Zubac to play in Summer League.

Mitch Kupchak’s reaction post- draft: "I think we’ve added more talent. Clearly we’re very happy with Brandon (Ingram)."

love them quotes!!!

you guys should really respect and accept foreign players in USA! Last year most of you were anxious about the arriving of huertas and now all of you are behind him.

same with zubac! Give the kid time to prrogress and i think in 2-3 years we have a young marc gasol or at least a type of gortat!

• Majesty likes this

#70 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,265 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 03:43 AM

The first thing anyone notices about Zubac is his size. He's a towering center that uses his height exceptionally, playing strong and physical with good athleticism for his size. Although there's always a transition period, Zubac will be able to hold serve and even overpower other big men from the moment he starts in the NBA thanks to his 265-pound frame.

After playing for a few clubs around Europe, Zubac ended up with Mega Leks late last season, playing with lottery prospect Timothe Luwawu. In his best game, Zubac scored 31 points with seven rebounds and three blocks, and while many of the points came merely due to his size, the highlights showcase Zubac's excellent hands and good touch around the basket. At 7'1, he's about to hit half hooks and even throw in short floaters with relatively good accuracy, which are skills that big men in the NBA must have no matter how tall they stand.

#71 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 24,241 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar

Posted June 24, 2016 - 09:24 AM

his idols are marc gasol

i think we got a steal there

possibly luke will build him up into a bogut 2.0

id be glad with that

me too actually

Yes Manaro and I agreed haha.

• manaro90 likes this

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#72 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,983 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 24, 2016 - 09:39 AM

Big I.Z

#73 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 24, 2016 - 11:23 AM

Lakers Conference Call 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#74 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,431 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted June 24, 2016 - 11:45 AM

Nikola Jokic   $1,300,000   $1,358,500   $1,417,000   $1,475,500

I would love for the Lakers and Zubac's agent to work out a deal similar to this as opposed to the 2 year deal Clarkson got.  Obviously Clarkson bet on himself and wanted to hit free agency earlier but I don't see why we can't work out a deal similar to Jokic's deal with the Nuggets with Zubac.

Edited by lakerfan98, June 24, 2016 - 11:47 AM.

#75 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,590 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted June 24, 2016 - 11:47 AM

My boy Zubacca

#76 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,431 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted June 24, 2016 - 11:49 AM

My boy Zubacca

HAHAHAHA all day this.

#77 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,320 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 24, 2016 - 12:13 PM

I mean this guy is gonna need a nickname. No way Im gonna pronounce that correctly haha. 

#78 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,320 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 24, 2016 - 12:14 PM

My boy Zubacca

Yea this one is my favorite. 

#79 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,265 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 12:15 PM

me too actually

Yes Manaro and I agreed haha.

hahah yeah!!!

#80 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,556 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 12:23 PM

The Zucc

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users