605 replies to this topic

#581 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 758 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:27 PM

Ya I see TB fitting more in any "small ball" line up 5 more so than Zubac. And when they're going big at 5, Lopez fills that role.

Sucks for Zu, but I see him traveling back and forth to the G league again this year just like last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#582 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,081 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 14, 2017 - 05:16 AM

I'm more of the thinking that he's conserving energy and hoping to avoid nagging injury.

So he's moving slower, and not jumping or playing all out.

He was never the most athletic.

What had impressed everyone was variety on offense and good reaction on defense.

I'm chalking it up to its summer league.

He has a contract

And a roster spot

And maybe a tad not used to pace 

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#583 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,220 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 14, 2017 - 05:24 AM

Zu is out of shape... he's definitely taken a step backwards. 

Edited by LACAS, July 14, 2017 - 10:27 AM.

• UKUGA likes this

#584 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,472 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 14, 2017 - 07:00 AM

He looks like he spent the spring pounding Belgian waffles. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#585 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,007 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 07:29 AM

Zu has skills. Think he's just out of shape which can be fixed....

#586 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,081 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 14, 2017 - 08:21 AM

Can't blame him...

Didnt he have that super cute GF?

Let dude enjoy a couple months.

Still love the guy. And a great interview.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#587 Olabebeh

Olabebeh

Rookie

• 666 posts
  • Name:Rafael
  • Fan Since:92
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant / Magic Johnson

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:05 AM

Maybe Zubac is having trouble dealing with weight loss and muscle grow in this pre season, i'm a big fan of Zubac i understand why people is bashing him so much this last days on the forums even i feel disappointed with his last performances, but don't forget what he did last season versus better players, he's still 20 plenty of room to grow.

•     and JGuez like this

#588 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,198 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 06:10 AM

I don't think Zubac was as serious about next season. He is showing all the signs the players show when they get complacent.

Think about it. If we didn't trade for Brook Lopez, who was going to play at 5? All candidates had their flaws. Zubac was the only one who could spread the floor. He probably suits D'Angelo's pace, but to keep up with Lonzo he has to run, and be aware of where the ball (Ball) is. Thankfully he participated in SL and the preseason didn't become this huge shocker. Gotta work hard, kid.
  •     likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#589 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,157 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:05 AM

I dont want to question the man's desire to play and perform.  It's not like he isn't trying but the pace he's having to play at and the things we need from him aren't exactly things he's good at or may ever be good at.  This is the same dude that wants to learn how to hit a sky hook lol.  He'll likely never be good at defending in space defensively and offensively he's mostly a post player.  

• Busty Bluth likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#590 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,157 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:05 AM

I dont want to question the man's desire to play and perform.  It's not like he isn't trying but the pace he's having to play at and the things we need from him aren't exactly things he's good at or may ever be good at.  This is the same dude that wants to learn how to hit a sky hook lol.  He'll likely never be good at defending in space defensively and offensively he's mostly a post player.  

• Busty Bluth likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#591 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,123 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:24 AM

Why wouldn't he play Balls out? Like he can't get waived? He isn't BI nor Ball. If I were Zu, I'd do the best I could everytime I walked onto a court. The idea that he is taking it easy to not wear himself out or to not risk injury is crazy. He hasn't shown anything to think he is definitely going to be in the league in two years. I'm seeing him having problems with the basics. Catching a ball and staying on his feet would be a good start

#592 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,157 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 08:19 AM

Why does it have to be an effort thing? Maybe he's just not as good as some thought and that his skill set doesn't mesh? I think he's likely trying hard but he's asked to do things he's NOT good at.  If he improves on those things he'll be fine.  If not he'll be at the end of the bench. 

Why wouldn't he play Balls out? Like he can't get waived? He isn't BI nor Ball. If I were Zu, I'd do the best I could everytime I walked onto a court. The idea that he is taking it easy to not wear himself out or to not risk injury is crazy. He hasn't shown anything to think he is definitely going to be in the league in two years. I'm seeing him having problems with the basics. Catching a ball and staying on his feet would be a good start

• Busty Bluth and LACAS like this

#593 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,123 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 15, 2017 - 08:39 AM

Why does it have to be an effort thing? Maybe he's just not as good as some thought and that his skill set doesn't mesh? I think he's likely trying hard but he's asked to do things he's NOT good at.  If he improves on those things he'll be fine.  If not he'll be at the end of the bench. 

Exactly!!

#594 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,938 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted July 15, 2017 - 10:13 AM

The good news for Zu is Lopez will miss his share of games so he has job security.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#595 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,060 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted July 15, 2017 - 11:24 AM

Hugely disappointed in Zubac.

Second year players should tear up the Summer League, but he has looked fairly miserable on all fronts.  All the more reason to be excited about Thomas Bryant and what he can potentially bring to the table.

•     and Jackson like this

#596 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,172 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 15, 2017 - 11:40 AM

Hugely disappointed in Zubac.

Second year players should tear up the Summer League, but he has looked fairly miserable on all fronts.  All the more reason to be excited about Thomas Bryant and what he can potentially bring to the table.

Don't know how to feel about any player playing in the summer league anymore. Watch Thomas Bryant kill it this season then regress next season.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#597 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 15, 2017 - 04:18 PM

I keep hearing that Zubac is in the gym more than anyone else. Perhaps he needs to rest his body a bit. He seems to be just a little bit off and lacking lower body strength. His shots are close but not falling with enough regularity. 

Yes he has been disappointing but I had been hoping for dominate performances and he has just been okay. I keep hearing that his body looks so much stronger but his quickness seems to have regressed and his touch around the basket just isn't there right now.

(After ending the season on the DL) in his exit interview Zu talked about not giving up his starting spot. Was pretty intent on it. Moz had responded that it wasn't going to be that easy to stay in front of him as starter. Off-season comes and new management starts throwing some pretty intimidating rhetoric about conditioning and playing time. It's clear everyone is going to have to prove themselves again and that patience is a luxury not found in Lakerland. 

LA trades the guy who got Zu all of his open looks (Russell) for a guy that is definitely going to be the starter (Lopez). Then he gets hammered in the press in his home country for skipping national team play (per a LG poster) and comes back to summer league with a completely new cast of players save Ingram who plays one game. He's working to reshape his body and clearly doesn't have his feet under him yet. Lonzo runs the team at hyper speed as opposed to Russell who played at a more comfortable pace for Zu. 

He will be fine but it may take another six months. He's only 20.

• K-Kris likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

• 43,799 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 07:55 PM

Robbed Zo of at least 5 assists and a double double. Was benched finally for most of the game when it mattered most. Other than that, yeah.

yo.

#599 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 973 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted July 15, 2017 - 08:10 PM

Welcome Ivica Zubac
Goodbye Ivica Zubac

Let's calm down. Hopefully he shows improvement in the regular season. Can't get worse than this, can he? :unsure:
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#600 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 758 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted July 15, 2017 - 08:23 PM

Man Zubac post game interview...he looks like a relative just died or something. I feel bad, hopefully he take this experience and puts in the work between now and October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users