Photo

Welcome Ivica Zubac

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

#561 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 11, 2017 - 02:37 PM

Bigs usually take 3-4 seasons to come around to who they'll be unless they are 'special'.  Zubac showed some special qualities but he's not fully there yet and I wouldn't expect him to be.  He just turned 20 this year, he's got time :) 

• dazz likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 08:59 PM

It's rare to say a guy looked pretty bad for most of the game when he drops 21 on 7 of 11, but Lonzo Ball can sure work some wonders.
  • Tensai likes this

yo.

#563 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,197 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:00 PM

Zubac should return the favor and don the BBB from now on.

fXlFKv8.gif

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:03 PM

Don't think LaVar would approve. He can stick with his Zupac brand.

yo.

#565 Olabebeh

Olabebeh

Rookie

• 637 posts
  • Name:Rafael
  • Fan Since:92
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant / Magic Johnson

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:04 PM

I cursed Zubac with my new avatar.

• UKUGA and     like this

#566 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:10 PM

Zubac offensively looked fine.  His defensive effort however was hot and cold, mostly cold, lots of times he could have come over and blocked a shot.  Other times he did, one was vital tonight, but then allowed a layup the next time down.  Make the clutch free throws to win it though too. 

I just want to see some more effort on the defensive end from Zubac in Summer League at this point. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:14 PM

Zubac offensively looked fine.

Sometimes numbers can be a tad deceiving. He still looked incredibly sluggish most of the time and could barely get off the ground.
  • GCMD and UKUGA like this

yo.

#568 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 12, 2017 - 11:51 PM

Zubac is a longterm project.  Until he gets rid of the baby fat and gets stronger (both upper and lower body) he will struggle.  We may not see vast improvements from him for another 2 years.

tenor.gif

#569 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,953 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 13, 2017 - 06:28 AM

Zubacs numbers were a product of Lonzo Ball.

"Busto Ball" - troll

#570 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,154 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 13, 2017 - 06:30 AM

I wasn't as big on Zu as a lot of fans were and a lot his issues are playing out.  I just don't see him as a real long term option. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#571 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,154 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 13, 2017 - 06:32 AM

Someone got upset b/c I said he could be like an Enes Kanter.  As if Kanter somehow isn't a super talented useful player.  Guys like that can beat up on 2nd units but you can't play them for longer than 15-20mpg due to their defensive issues. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#572 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,062 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 13, 2017 - 06:41 AM

Thing with Zu is if Lakers see LBJ and PG as options 1&2 next offseason. With Boogie being #3 priority.

And they also wanna keep KCP around a few more years, Zu becomes our starting center.

How he gains enough experience for that eventuality with Brook playing 28-30 minutes will be a coaching miricle

• Busty Bluth likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#573 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,159 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 13, 2017 - 06:56 AM

Zubust is garbage
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#574 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,916 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted July 13, 2017 - 11:46 AM

Zubust is garbage

Look he's had 2 off-season and he hasn't gotten better. He's clearly of no use in this system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • kidpolean likes this

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 08:49 PM

Had his shot stuffed at least 5 or 7 times today. Dude never looked this horrendous last year.

yo.

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 08:56 PM

"I think he might be putting weights underneath his socks." - from a Laker fan in another place

Lmao!
  • Olabebeh likes this

yo.

#577 Olabebeh

Olabebeh

Rookie

• 637 posts
  • Name:Rafael
  • Fan Since:92
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant / Magic Johnson

Posted July 13, 2017 - 08:57 PM

"I think he might be putting weights underneath his socks." - from a Laker fan in another place

Lmao!

AHAHHAHAHAHA.

#578 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:14 PM

Two big issues I see with Zubac in Summer League.

1) He keeps turning off the wrong shoulder on his hooks, which is putting him further from the basket and making his shots more difficult and he's paying for it.  Where he could easily turn the other way and have an easy layup as he's directly near or at the basket, he spins the other way and creates a more difficult shot for himself which got continuously swatted or effected today because of it. 

2) His effort is hot/cold.   We've seen very much when Zubac wants to assert himself they can only foul him.  We've also seen he can make the rotations and blocks when he's engaged.  Problem is he hasn't been engaged consistently.    Like tonight, he looked disengaged and then would have some solid plays back to back, and then be disengaged for another play and then have another good play following it.  His effort is hot/cold.  

In Summer League that may not effect the outlook much, but he can't bring that mentality into training camp or pre-season or the Lakers will very quickly and very easily put Nance Jr as our backup 5 and Kuzma as the backup 4 and Zubac will ride the bench and get G-League minutes because of it. 

#579 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,487 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:21 PM

Lonzo is speeding the game up. That's not how Zubac plays. Moving forward he might not be the fit at the 5 in comparison to TB, or even Nance who isn't as soft, or slow, and has better instincts when it comes to anticipating passes and finishing.

Dude is definitely a project, I think his early success has people fooled.
  • Busty Bluth and BasketballIQ like this

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:24 PM

Well if we were ever to consider him as an asset of some value, surely that value if any has plummeted dramatically after this horrific summer league. Dude has looked mad sluggish and unathletic.

yo.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Google (1)