1824 replies to this topic

#1681 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 5,142 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted March 13, 2019 - 09:57 PM

Analytics are only as objective as what is put in the model or formula. Normally the better players will do good in advanced models but it's not always a sure bet. Ex: CP3 has a higher VORP than Kobe, Hakeem, Shaq and Dirk

Analytics is just a broad term for information. It sounds nerdy and scientific to people who generally don't use numbers to help make decisions. You can get to the point where you rely TOO MUCH on data and not instinct, behaviors and traits.

If you want a successful team you can't have one w/o the other. What's needed is basketball minded guys to understand analytics vs letting all the nerds run the show.

Fair point. They can definitely help build a team as well as a winning strategy with the players you have available and if you aren’t using them, you are just missing out on a lot of valuable information that is readily available.

#1682 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 10,109 posts

Posted March 16, 2019 - 10:25 AM

@ShamsCharania
Lakers‘ Brandon Ingram underwent thoracic outlet decompression surgery on his right arm and is expected to make full recovery for next season.
  • -Wade-, Jackson, lakerfan98 and 1 other like this

#1683 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 10,109 posts

Posted March 16, 2019 - 10:25 AM

Great news. Happy for BI.
  • Jackson likes this

#1684 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 10,109 posts

Posted March 16, 2019 - 12:11 PM

To give more info on this, the blood clot was provoked. The surgery corrected the issue and got rid of the clot. Had it been unprovoked (Chris Bosh), it would be a serious issue.

There will be a 3-4 month recovery time (I think his top rib was compressing a blood vessel, which caused a clot), but he won’t need blood thinners for an extended period and this issue shouldn’t appear again. They very likely removed part of his top rib.

Edited by Massacre, March 16, 2019 - 12:26 PM.

• Jackson likes this

#1685 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 12,083 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 16, 2019 - 02:43 PM

To give more info on this, the blood clot was provoked. The surgery corrected the issue and got rid of the clot. Had it been unprovoked (Chris Bosh), it would be a serious issue.

There will be a 3-4 month recovery time (I think his top rib was compressing a blood vessel, which caused a clot), but he won’t need blood thinners for an extended period and this issue shouldn’t appear again. They very likely removed part of his top rib.

Praying for a healthy recovery

#1686 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,648 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 20, 2019 - 07:43 PM

Jayson Tatum in his last 5 games:

12 points per game
6 rebounds per game
44% FG
15% 3PT
0.6 steals per game
0.4 blocks per game

#1687 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 10,109 posts

Posted March 20, 2019 - 09:11 PM

Jayson Tatum in his last 5 games:

12 points per game
6 rebounds per game
44% FG
15% 3PT
0.6 steals per game
0.4 blocks per game

Overrated. And lucky he was drafted by a team that had Kyrie, Horford and Stevens to take them to the playoffs. The hype was too much and he’s regressed, which was easy to predict when you look at how insane he was shooting. He had the best stretch of his career at the perfect time...let’s see how long people hold onto it.

And I’m not a Tatum hater I doubt anyone here is. I’m a hater of guys who label him a future star and call our young guys future role players.

Edited by Massacre, March 20, 2019 - 09:13 PM.

#1688 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,164 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted March 21, 2019 - 06:23 AM

Overrated. And lucky he was drafted by a team that had Kyrie, Horford and Stevens to take them to the playoffs. The hype was too much and he’s regressed, which was easy to predict when you look at how insane he was shooting. He had the best stretch of his career at the perfect time...let’s see how long people hold onto it.
And I’m not a Tatum hater I doubt anyone here is. I’m a hater of guys who label him a future star and call our young guys future role players.

What did Ball and Ingram do in our last five games? Lol

Clearly your statement and BBIQ cherry picked stats comes from hatred.

Tatum still has a higher ceiling than Ingram, I haven't really seen anyone call him a for sure future star though.

Tatum gets talked about more on this forum than half our roster does lol

Edited by KidRN, March 21, 2019 - 06:23 AM.

#1689 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 5,142 posts

Posted March 21, 2019 - 06:39 AM

What did Ball and Ingram do in our last five games? Lol

Clearly your statement and BBIQ cherry picked stats comes from hatred.

Tatum still has a higher ceiling than Ingram, I haven't really seen anyone call him a for sure future star though.

Tatum gets talked about more on this forum than half our roster does lol

this

#1690 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,648 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 21, 2019 - 09:54 AM

Ingram:
18.3 pts, 49.7% FG, 5.1 rebs, 3 asts @ 55.5 TS% = "ASS"
23.3 pts, 55.1% FG, 5.9 rebs, 3.1 asts @ 62.1 TS%, = "GOOD MONTH"

GOAT Tatum:
16.0 pts, 45.3% FG, 6.2 rebs, 2 asts @ 58.7 TS% = "GREAT"
13.7 pts, 42.1% FG, 5.6 rebs, 3.3 asts @ 49.5 TS% = "BAD MONTH"

Tatum is six months younger and not like he has a frame that will expand much more

#1691 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,164 posts

Posted March 21, 2019 - 10:08 AM

Ingram:
GOAT Tatum:
Tatum is six months younger and not like he has a frame that will expand much more

Tatum has a year less of nba experience. He is already a better shot creator than Ingram. He plays closer to a guard than Ingram does. He's a better athlete than Ingram is.

Ingram is currently a 2nd option and does whatever he wants, Tatum is not.

I seriously dont understand why this keeps coming up. They don't play similarly, nor are they even from the same draft class.

How often do you think Ingram is mentioned on a Celtics forum? Likely never!

Why not compare Ingram to Simmons? Or someone else from his draft class?

I'm tired of seeing Tatum's name appear on this damn forum!

Edited by KidRN, March 21, 2019 - 10:09 AM.

#1692 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 5,142 posts

Posted March 21, 2019 - 10:10 AM

Ingram:

GOAT Tatum:

Do you have a stat that tracks which player is currently playing meaningful NBA games and which one has around a 10 percent chance of never playing again? Your narrative is tired. Every GM would take Tatum over BI and they would be correct to. We get it, you like BI and don’t like Tatum. Even if BI was better than Tatum, which he isn’t, what’s would that accomplish? The team still sucks, BI is injured and has a very serious condition AND there is no award for being a player better than Tatum, the Lakers need multiple players better than him and BI isn’t one of them right now, no matter how many tainted stats you post
  • KidRN likes this

#1693 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 10,109 posts

Posted March 21, 2019 - 10:35 AM

Ingram just went through a stretch better than anything Tatum has ever had. Yet, Tatum has a higher ceiling? Like I said, his playoff run will be held onto for quite some time and will mask the fact that he’s clearly regressed. Doubt anyone here watches Boston enough to prove otherwise.

Haven’t seen anyone call him a future star? Must’ve missed all the pundits predicting he’d be an all-star this season and the next PG/PP.

Ingram does whatever he wants? Tatum isn’t the 2nd option? They average 14 and 13 FGA. Their usage is identical. Ingram has Kuzma and LeBron each taking more shots than him. Tatum shoots more than anyone not named Kyrie. Don’t make stuff up.

These comparisons are made to offer perspective on the frequent comparisons of Laker youth to talent viewed as superior around the league. If you’re not interested in them, close the thread.

#1694 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,685 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 21, 2019 - 10:40 AM

Imagine they both end up being good players. Wild.

#1695 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,164 posts

Posted March 21, 2019 - 10:48 AM

Ingram just went through a stretch better than anything Tatum has ever had. Yet, Tatum has a higher ceiling? Like I said, his playoff run will be held onto for quite some time and will mask the fact that he’s clearly regressed. Doubt anyone here watches Boston enough to prove otherwise.
Haven’t seen anyone call him a future star? Must’ve missed all the pundits predicting he’d be an all-star this season and the next PG/PP.
Ingram does whatever he wants? Tatum isn’t the 2nd option? They average 14 and 13 FGA. Their usage is identical. Ingram has Kuzma and LeBron each taking more shots than him. Tatum shoots more than anyone not named Kyrie. Don’t make stuff up.
These comparisons are made to offer perspective on the frequent comparisons of Laker youth to talent viewed as superior around the league. If you’re not interested in them, close the thread.

This comparison is made simply because our rival is currently better than us.

Once again, they are not from the same draft class. Ingram has a year on Tatum. Simmons, who was drafted in the same draft class, is never brought up...I wonder why?

Ingram didnt have a stretch better than anything Tatum did. Tatum carried his teams offense in the damn playoffs! Ingram is putting up numbers on a trash team.

Tatum has a higher ceiling and anybody that isn't a damn laker fan can see that. He does stuff offensively that Ingram couldn't dream of. He also has a true position, while Ingram is a bit of a tweener.

Chill out with this need to prove our youth is something great. This [expletive] is old and boring at this point.

I didn't grow up in the Celtics vs Lakers era. I grew up hating the Spurs more than any other team. This is why this is so dumb to me. Tatum has nothing to do with this team, he has nothing to do with Ingram. They aren't similar. They arent from the same draft class. They have no personal beef with each other. This comparison is stupid.

Even if Ingram was better, this team sucks! Trade Ingram for Tatum and we still currently would suck. Ingram needs to be way better than Tatum if this team is going to win anything.

Tatum is irrelevant. He isn't a measure of anything. He's a young celtics player that is mentioned on this forum an absurd amount.

Edited by KidRN, March 21, 2019 - 10:52 AM.

#1696 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 5,142 posts

Posted March 21, 2019 - 11:01 AM

This thread is gold

#1697 KidRN

KidRN

Legend

• 10,164 posts

Posted March 21, 2019 - 11:02 AM

But who the hell cares how good Tatum ends up?

This is a guy that we shouldn't have drafted given the pick we had. Ball, at the time, was the better prospect.

Why doesn't he get compared to Ball? Wouldn't that make more sense? He has absolutely no connection to Ingram.

Edited by KidRN, March 21, 2019 - 11:03 AM.

#1698 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 10,109 posts

Posted March 21, 2019 - 12:09 PM

This comparison is made simply because our rival is currently better than us.

Once again, they are not from the same draft class. Ingram has a year on Tatum. Simmons, who was drafted in the same draft class, is never brought up...I wonder why?

Ingram didnt have a stretch better than anything Tatum did. Tatum carried his teams offense in the damn playoffs! Ingram is putting up numbers on a trash team.

Tatum has a higher ceiling and anybody that isn't a damn laker fan can see that. He does stuff offensively that Ingram couldn't dream of. He also has a true position, while Ingram is a bit of a tweener.

Chill out with this need to prove our youth is something great. This [expletive] is old and boring at this point.

I didn't grow up in the Celtics vs Lakers era. I grew up hating the Spurs more than any other team. This is why this is so dumb to me. Tatum has nothing to do with this team, he has nothing to do with Ingram. They aren't similar. They arent from the same draft class. They have no personal beef with each other. This comparison is stupid.

Even if Ingram was better, this team sucks! Trade Ingram for Tatum and we still currently would suck. Ingram needs to be way better than Tatum if this team is going to win anything.

Tatum is irrelevant. He isn't a measure of anything. He's a young celtics player that is mentioned on this forum an absurd amount.

Tatum is compared to a lot of young players. It’s not just a Laker thing. That tends to happen when the public perception morphs into what it did this summer. He was hyped to be a top option on a contender and is now a role player on a very good team.

Ingram is not going to be compared to Simmons or Brown because that’s irrational. What’s the point? He’s clearly better than one and clearly worse than the other. Do you only want him compared to people he’s worse than?

Does stuff offensively Ingram couldn’t dream of? So how is Ingram averaging more points with multiple guys taking more shots? Wouldn’t that mean he has MORE room to grow than Tatum does on that end? Tatum is playing under a coach far superior to Luke and did not have to adjust to a legend joining his team. One who happens to play his position. Ingram is a wing. I don’t know what this tweener non-sense is, it’s not 2005.

This Tatum playoffs things is also pretty funny. People keep mentioning that like he pulled a LeBron, lol. How many games did you watch of that? He was very good, but this perception that he carried that team is so false that it’s really an indicator of who was paying attention. Rozier, Brown, Horford, Stevens and their defense doesn’t exist any more, does it? Wonder what the perception of him would be if he was actually drafted into a lottery team.

I’m not trying to prove our youth is great. I’m comparing them to someone who is viewed as great. If you don’t think that’s valid after the improvements Ingram has made and the regression Tatum has, it’s just irrational. Like I said, this comparison isn’t going to die just because you don’t like it. Doesn’t matter how many times you call it stupid. Just close the thread, lol.

They play for rival teams, and are main pieces in potential trades for AD. The fact that the Pelicans clearly viewed Tatum in an entire tier above Ingram is only going to intensify the comparisons.

Edited by Massacre, March 21, 2019 - 12:18 PM.

#1699 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 10,109 posts

Posted March 21, 2019 - 12:10 PM

They will be. I’m just not a fan of guys who claim to watch both of them trying to claim there’s no comparison. It’s irrational.

#1700 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 10,109 posts

Posted March 21, 2019 - 12:15 PM

But who the hell cares how good Tatum ends up?

This is a guy that we shouldn't have drafted given the pick we had. Ball, at the time, was the better prospect.

Why doesn't he get compared to Ball? Wouldn't that make more sense? He has absolutely no connection to Ingram.

How would comparing Tatum to Ball make any sense? Because they are in the same draft class? They play different positions and have completely different roles within an NBA offense. As if Kobe was never compared to T-Mac as they came up? Duncan and Garnett? This line of thinking implies it woud’ve made more sense to compare Kobe to Nash and not T-Mac back in the day.

Edited by Massacre, March 21, 2019 - 12:16 PM.

• BasketballIQ likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users