Photo

The 2017-2018 Lakers Roster; 6/22 Lakers draft G Lonzo Ball, F Kyle Kuzma, G Josh Hart & C Thomas Bryant

lakers

• Please log in to reply
807 replies to this topic

#661 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,251 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 11, 2017 - 09:36 PM

I truly think Jeanie will want an all-star to represent this up coming season. Isn't it in L.A.?

I've heard the quote where she said she would be "heartbroken" if the Lakers didn't have an allstar at the all-star game. Would be nice to have an all-star, but the objective is to win titles, not being represented at the all-star game. IMO that's the most horrible, short-sighted way to building a franchise.

#662 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,378 posts

Posted June 11, 2017 - 09:47 PM

I've heard the quote where she said she would be "heartbroken" if the Lakers didn't have an allstar at the all-star game. Would be nice to have an all-star, but the objective is to win titles, not being represented at the all-star game. IMO that's the most horrible, short-sighted way to building a franchise.

Given that she spent her entire life with the Lakers and with her dad specifically, Its odd that she'd say such thing. You'd think she'd be smarter than this. Maybe she is, but comment was taken out of context? misunderstood maybe? tipsy? 

#663 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,251 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 11, 2017 - 09:50 PM

Given that she spent her entire life with the Lakers and with her dad specifically, Its odd that she'd say such thing. You'd think she'd be smarter than this. Maybe she is, but comment was taken out of context? misunderstood maybe? tipsy? 

I think she was just being honest. She's smart enough to know that we cant be hurting our future for just one game.

#664 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,378 posts

Posted June 11, 2017 - 09:58 PM

I think she was just being honest. She's smart enough to know that we cant be hurting our future for just one game.

Yeah I think when people say " Jeanie doesnt know what she's doing" is kinda BS. At the very minimum, she has to have considerably better knowledge than the average fan. She's also smart by knowing her limitations and hiring the right people for basketball operations( includes personal consultants, Magic, behind the scene people)

#665 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,263 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 12, 2017 - 01:30 AM

Ball or Fox(Russell)/ JC
Russell(Jackson) / Nwaba
Ingram / XX/Deng
Randle/Deng/ Nance
Zubac/ Mozgov/Randle

This is what the roster would look like barring any trades..

Im not expecting a big trade other than a one for PG( if not traded to Boston)..
Casspi(1 year contract), Or Nick Young(opts in) could fill up the back up 3.

I'd look to trade Deng or Mozgov along with the 28th pick if possible.
We'd enter the 2018 with around 38M to spend minus whatever Randle will sign for( if not traded)..

Not great outlook but aint bad at all.. 33-35 wins next season is a reasonable expectation..

EDIT: around 58M and not 38...

I think we can win 30 and be in 30 more.

If we are past the development over wins stage like Luke began the season with last season despite the surprising start then the start of the season should probably be

Ball- bc you have to play him barring he isn't quite ready (Ingram and Russell come to mind)
Russell
Ingram
Randle or Nance depending on camp and preseason
Zubac or Mosgov again dependent upon camp and preseason

Now Zubac will get minutes as will Nance and Randle.

But if the stars say Deng at the 4 and Mosgov at the 5 with our three best perimeter players is the best lineup then this season we should play them to put ourselves in best position to win each game.

But if the front office believes in Ingram and Ball or whomever they pick...then developing the core is the way to go.

Unless people think another Super team wants to be specifically in LA...then idk.

One way that could happen.

Russell comes in next year averaging basically 20 and going for 30 plus here and there. We trade him and a promising looking player who we draft at 28. Along with Another young piece and other goodies for Harden.

Let's say we give up Ingram and Zubac and the other remaining young piece along with Brewer contract relief.

Amongst those two moves we got Harden (Pelinka puzzle) and Marc Gasol(Memphis needs capacity relief, new style) and had money for PG the next summer and was able to keep Ball and Nance. But unable to get rid of the contracts of Deng and Mosgov

Ball
Harden
George
Nance
Gasol

Rookie 2nd rounder Point
Vet minimum spot up shooter
Nwaba
Deng
Mosgov

#666 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,263 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 12, 2017 - 01:36 AM

That team would require Ball being an All-time great or at least the level Iguadola is on and Nance becoming an All-time great role player...no less than Rambis but as good as Odom even. Then we might be a contender.

But that's not happening

#667 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,478 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 12, 2017 - 05:03 AM

To be quite frank, I don't think Jeanie has much say in terms of the roster constructing aspects of the team.  I wasn't a fan of the way she carried herself throughout the end of  Jim and Mitch's tenure, but thus far, since the changes have been made and Magic/Pelinka have taken the helm, it seems as though she's taken a step back and allowed them to operate freely.  Even when Jim and Mitch were at the helm, outside of the PR moves and pitches for pending big name free agents, Jeanie seemed to have a hands off approach regarding player transactions.  Media on the other hand, I'm sure she has her hands all over that stuff which may be good, or it may backfire when your stunt involves asking celebrities such as Adam Levine to pitch via Instagram.

PG13 is likely the only realistic Star option on the table and I'm hoping the Lakers hold off until 2018 rather than dealing our young core for him.

Wasnt there a story out a month back quoting PG or someone close (his agent) asking lakers not to gut their core? Thought i read something like that

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#668 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,603 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 05:57 AM

^

This roster gets us nowhere.

Not even respectable.

We're going to have to flip assets, which is one of the luxuries we have now that we've at least acquired them.

Either trade for 1 all star and sign another, or we need to be very patient to sniff playoffs.

If this happens over the next year (this offseason and next) we should be good to go

My feeling is the Laker ownership didnt go thru this giant very public and embarrassing cleanse/purge not to make things happen.

My gut says right or wrong they're going to 'try' to move pieces and make some big moves sooner rather than later.

Now whether they can, or that if they do those moves will be looked at as good ones remains to be seen

I'm wondering the same thing. People are expecting the young players to succeed without veterans on the roster. Then why did Mitch and Jim get axed in the first place?

That supposed starting lineup would have the age mean of 20.4! Who the hell fields an NBA team to play a full season with an age mean of 20.4 and expects them to succeed? It is like we are Brooklyn Nets or something. Are people forgetting the team is located in Los Angeles and fans aren't known for having patience to watch garbage? Then all this "striving for excellence" is bull[expletive].

fXlFKv8.gif

#669 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,832 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 12, 2017 - 12:17 PM

Wasnt there a story out a month back quoting PG or someone close (his agent) asking lakers not to gut their core? Thought i read something like that

There certainly was.  A very valid source as well in Adrian Woj.

http://nba.nbcsports...st-sign-anyway/

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

For the Lakers, they are pretty confident and have a great deal of belief that they’re in position to get Paul George in 2018. Whether he stays in Indiana or he’s traded elsewhere, he’s going to be a free agent in 18 if he doesn’t re-sign this summer in Indiana. They don’t have to give assets up to go and try to trade for him. In fact, I think they’ve been encouraged to do just the opposite. If Paul George is going to go there, he wants them to have assets. He wants them to be as good of a team as they can when he walks in

Edited by LakeShow1o1, June 12, 2017 - 12:20 PM.

• kball likes this

#670 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,648 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 13, 2017 - 08:03 PM

PG, Randle and Russell all share the same agent as well.  Not sure how much you should read into that though. 

There certainly was.  A very valid source as well in Adrian Woj.

http://nba.nbcsports...st-sign-anyway/

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

For the Lakers, they are pretty confident and have a great deal of belief that they’re in position to get Paul George in 2018. Whether he stays in Indiana or he’s traded elsewhere, he’s going to be a free agent in 18 if he doesn’t re-sign this summer in Indiana. They don’t have to give assets up to go and try to trade for him. In fact, I think they’ve been encouraged to do just the opposite. If Paul George is going to go there, he wants them to have assets. He wants them to be as good of a team as they can when he walks in

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#671 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,378 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 08:05 PM

PG, Randle and Russell all share the same agent as well.  Not sure how much you should read into that though. 

Hmm... Maybe its harder to include either in a package for PG i assume, unless Russell/Randle are perfectly fine playing for Indiana though doubtful..

#672 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,607 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 13, 2017 - 09:14 PM

Hmmm. I would think his agent would prefer his cliet to leave Indy for the Cali market... just my personal opinion.

Edited by FranklinPeanuts, June 13, 2017 - 09:15 PM.

#673 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,478 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 14, 2017 - 03:50 AM

Smokes with some investigative reporting!

All part of the puzzle imo

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#674 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,954 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 14, 2017 - 06:12 AM

At times an agent might think and suggest a new scenery, offense and surrounding players may suit his client's development best...

Edited by LACAS, June 14, 2017 - 06:13 AM.

#675 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,338 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 20, 2017 - 03:24 PM

Welcome Lopez!!

#676 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 53,826 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 20, 2017 - 03:44 PM

Welcome Lopez!!

For one season, till you leave next off-season while Paul George goes to Houston. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#677 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,547 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted June 20, 2017 - 03:56 PM

For one season, till you leave next off-season while Paul George goes to Houston.

intensely-triggered-sjw-triggered.jpg
  •     likes this

#678 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,603 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 06:58 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. People are expecting the young players to succeed without veterans on the roster. Then why did Mitch and Jim get axed in the first place?

That supposed starting lineup would have the age mean of 20.4! Who the hell fields an NBA team to play a full season with an age mean of 20.4 and expects them to succeed? It is like we are Brooklyn Nets or something. Are people forgetting the team is located in Los Angeles and fans aren't known for having patience to watch garbage? Then all this "striving for excellence" is bull[expletive].

LMAO "Brooklyn Nets" :D

fXlFKv8.gif

#679 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,658 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted June 20, 2017 - 07:12 PM

I like how Magic and Rob is trying to set up the Lakers for immediate success when they're in the same conference/division as the Warriors superteam.

I also like how they preached patience 

I'm not trusting these people anymore. 

Edited by alec613, June 20, 2017 - 07:13 PM.

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#680 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,603 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 07:33 PM

2017/18 (Salary Cap: $101m)

Brook Lopez - $22,642,350

Paul George - $18,100,000

Luol Deng - $17,190,000

Jordan Clarkson - $11,562,500

Corey Brewer - $7,579,000

Tarik Black - $6,655,325

Brandon Ingram - $5,519,400

#2 - $5,091,500

Larry Nance Jr. - $1,471,382

Ivica Zubac - $1,312,611

David Nwaba - $1,312,611

Total: $98,436,679

2018/19 (Salary Cap: $104m)

Paul George - $28,473,174 (Max)

Luol Deng - $18,000,000

Jordan Clarkson - $12,500,000

Brandon Ingram - $5,757,120

#2 - $5,320,600

Larry Nance Jr. - $2,272,390

Ivica Zubac - $1,544,951

Total: $73,868,235

edited: Julius Randle is traded for Paul George, it is assumed we keep Jordan Clarkson.

Edited by Tensai, June 20, 2017 - 07:37 PM.

fXlFKv8.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lakers

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 1 anonymous users

Bing (2)