329 replies to this topic

#41 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 01, 2016 - 05:07 AM

*facepalm* 21 year old player with a body of a veteran. Averaging 10.2 rpg (13.1 per36) in basically his rookie year.What do you really want to see from a player who was selected from #7? Average 20-10 and 3 assists? I'm one of those who pointed out the Simmons - Randle fit issues but singling out Randle is foolish. He is a talented young player that has yet to find his place in NBA. Any comparison is meaningless, be it Zach Randolph, Draymond Green or Lamar Odom. When it is all said and done, he is going to be remembered as Julius Randle doing what he does best. It is too early to give up on him because of some stupid expectations.

if we are simply talking about him becoming a great NBA player, than yea it would be too early to give up on him. But that's not what is being discussed. We are talking about him fitting into an offense were players need to be willing passers, set good screens, and be able to shoot...none of which Randle excels at. Unless we completely alter the offense, he won't fit at all.

I don't want to watch him destroy the offense for an entire season and with all the talented young guys on the roster, Randle is expendable.

If we keep him, he won't start and his minutes will likely be cut. He'll want to leave anyway!
  • GCMD likes this

#42 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,680 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 01, 2016 - 05:30 AM

lol.

Former high school ballers and AAU coaches are literally the worst.

Edited by BasketballIQ, June 01, 2016 - 05:30 AM.

#43 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,291 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 06:06 AM

*facepalm* 21 year old player with a body of a veteran. Averaging 10.2 rpg (13.1 per36) in basically his rookie year.What do you really want to see from a player who was selected from #7? Average 20-10 and 3 assists? I'm one of those who pointed out the Simmons - Randle fit issues but singling out Randle is foolish. He is a talented young player that has yet to find his place in NBA. Any comparison is meaningless, be it Zach Randolph, Draymond Green or Lamar Odom. When it is all said and done, he is going to be remembered as Julius Randle doing what he does best. It is too early to give up on him because of some stupid expectations.if we are simply talking about him becoming a great NBA player, than yea it would be too early to give up on him. But that's not what is being discussed. We are talking about him fitting into an offense were players need to be willing passers, set good screens, and be able to shoot...none of which Randle excels at. Unless we completely alter the offense, he won't fit at all.

I don't want to watch him destroy the offense for an entire season and with all the talented young guys on the roster, Randle is expendable.

If we keep him, he won't start and his minutes will likely be cut. He'll want to leave anyway!

That is the problem. Why do we have to turn our players into Curry-lite and Green-lite? Is there only one way to play intelligent basketball? Time is not to be micromanaging. We are at least 3 years away from that.

fXlFKv8.gif

#44 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,993 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 01, 2016 - 06:36 AM

That is the problem. Why do we have to turn our players into Curry-lite and Green-lite? Is there only one way to play intelligent basketball? Time is not to be micromanaging. We are at least 3 years away from that.

Good reply. Allow these players to be themselves versus everybody else in the league.

#45 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,456 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 06:43 AM

those players play a given role in their offensive system. We don't have to turn them into GS players, but they have to be able to fit that role or the offense won't work properly. Russell isn't Curry but he can shoot the three ball and is a willing passer...Clarkson isn't anything close to Klay but he is solid from three, can handle the ball, and is a willing passer. It's about traits/skills being able to properly fill a role, not about turning the team into GS 2.0.

You stated that we are at least three years away, that is only true if we have our team running properly early on. If we refuse to move Randle and he messes up the offense, it hinders the other players ability to fully grasp the offense which would set us back.
  • GCMD and bandiger like this

#46 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,680 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 06:43 AM

Good reply. Allow these players to be themselves versus everybody else in the league.

You just said let JR play like Zach... Now it's let them be themselves

#47 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,456 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 06:46 AM

if that's the case, WTF did we hire Luke for? They did a fine job of being themselves under Byron!
  • GCMD likes this

#48 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 01, 2016 - 08:50 AM

I cringe every time someone brings up that Randle averaged a double double as justification for him being a good prospect. Literally the only thing he did at an above average level was rebound, but we have people here who think he had a great rookie year and is one of the best players from his draft class. Ask anyone who isn't a Laker fan about Randle and they'll probably tell you he isn't a good player. He's such a raw player and I really don't see how he has a high ceiling. At this point he's just all potential, and I think best case scenario he ends up being the next Thad Young, not ZBo or Chris Webber.
  • GCMD likes this

#49 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,063 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 01, 2016 - 09:16 AM

Trade bait.

• GCMD likes this

#50 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,680 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 09:22 AM

He's an above average rebounder or a very good one?

Dirk and Zach Eandolph as well as Draymond Green and Cousins think he is talented and skilled.

Look at every GOOD player in the last 30 seasons. Look at the inefficiency of their first 2 seasons compared to the rest of their careers.

Some of us believe he will improve.

I've heard no one overrate Randle. Tempered enthusiasm is a bad thing?

#51 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,368 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 01, 2016 - 09:27 AM

I would rather Randle be shipped out or brought off the bench before I let him destroy the flow of the offense. You can't sacrifice the entire offense because one player is good at doing his own thing and making the offense stagnant.
  • GCMD likes this

#52 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,680 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 09:38 AM

Wow. This has to be a joke

#53 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,680 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 09:58 AM

This thread says Julius:Fit and Potential.

http://www.hoopsstat...worst/16/20/296

http://www.hoopsstat...worst/16/13/205

Best-worst eff performances from Randle and Kristaps.

Not much difference despite KP's range, height, length

#54 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,456 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 10:20 AM

Wow. This has to be a joke

I can tell by your post that you don't even fully understand the conversation

#55 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,288 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 01, 2016 - 10:54 AM

BBIQ doesnt like Kristaps lol

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#56 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 01, 2016 - 11:08 AM

He's an above average rebounder or a very good one?

Dirk and Zach Eandolph as well as Draymond Green and Cousins think he is talented and skilled.

Look at every GOOD player in the last 30 seasons. Look at the inefficiency of their first 2 seasons compared to the rest of their careers.

Some of us believe he will improve.

I've heard no one overrate Randle. Tempered enthusiasm is a bad thing?

Sure you could say he was a great rebounder. And I'm aware that young players are typically inefficient in their first few seasons. But what are the qualities that people are seeing in him that make them think he's going to be a great scorer or a future all star? I see a guy who has a quick first step and makes a lot of unorthodox shots in the paint, but he struggles to finish against length and doesn't have any go-to inside moves. He's strong as hell and quick for a guy his size but he's very unskilled. I think he'll become an adequate shooter and that will open up other parts of his game. However, considering his play style and lack of a 3 point shot I don't see how he's going to be an efficient scorer unless he gets to the line a ton.
  • GCMD likes this

#57 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 11:29 AM

Randle has shown more willingness to pass and set screens in the second half of the season. He may get better at certain areas which i mentioned yesterday, his awareness. That takes good communication, film and experience to get better at it. Will he though? You never know.

GCMD brought valid points in the last few months but I think its premature. 

I just watched some full game highlights(sure, it doesnt tell the whole story) in the first half of the season and the second half. Randle has improved. He needs to consistently set hard screens to run plays effectively, which is a big part of GSW game.

GCMD and some others may be right, a player cant change his game. But I dont think Randle is a negative for the team.

Lets see what he does with Luke and a season under his belt with Russell and Clarkson.

Edited by Ventiquattro, June 01, 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#58 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,456 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 12:42 PM

Randle has shown more willingness to pass and set screens in the second half of the season. He may get better at certain areas which i mentioned yesterday, his awareness. That takes good communication, film and experience to get better at it. Will he though? You never know.

GCMD brought valid points in the last few months but I think its premature. 

I just watched some full game highlights(sure, it doesnt tell the whole story) in the first half of the season and the second half. Randle has improved. He needs to consistently set hard screens to run plays effectively, which is a big part of GSW game.

GCMD and some others may be right, a player cant change his game. But I dont think Randle is a negative for the team.

Lets see what he does with Luke and a season under his belt with Russell and Clarkson.

I'd give him 10 games...not a full season. No way we allow someone to ruin our offense for the entire season! We aren't talking about Randle getting better or developing his skills, we are talking about him assuming a role that is the complete opposite of his play style.

We need to get better ASAP! We don't have a pick next year and there will be no benefit to being terrible like there has been the last two seasons.
  • GCMD likes this

#59 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,368 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 01, 2016 - 12:44 PM

I'd give him 10 games...not a full season. No way we allow someone to ruin our offense for the entire season! We aren't talking about Randle getting better or developing his skills, we are talking about him assuming a role that is the complete opposite of his play style.

We need to get better ASAP! We don't have a pick next year and there will be no benefit to being terrible like there has been the last two seasons.

It's clear some fans are cool with us winning 17 games again
  • GCMD and KidRN like this

#60 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,456 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 12:49 PM

It's clear some fans are cool with us winning 17 games again

people want to alter the offense or spend multiple seasons forcing Randle into the offense!

It's not like he is a star or anything, He's not even a particularly good player. He's a young athletic guy that can rebound! That's who we are discussing. A guy with very little trade value.

Edited by kidpolean, June 01, 2016 - 12:50 PM.

• GCMD likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Julius Randle, fit, potential, trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users