• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#1 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 31, 2016 - 06:31 PM

Since every thread turns into a "does Julius Randle fit" thread at some point, I decided to start a thread just for that...

Does Randle fit the roster?

Does Randle fit the offense?

Can Randle change?

Did Byron cause Randle's tendencies?

Here are some videos to get us started...

This is the offense people want to try to shoehorn Randle in...

This is the guy people want to TRANSFORM Randle into:

Discuss...

tenor.gif

#2 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 31, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Anyone that thinks Randle can be transform into an LO or Simmons type of players should probably not enter this thread

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#3 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,852 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted May 31, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Has it really come to this? Haha

#4 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 06:48 PM

Anyone that thinks Randle can be transform into an LO or Simmons type of players should probably not enter this thread

Danish

Maj

erfolk

These guys are diehards...they think Randle can LEARN to play like Green and Simmons...real talk.

Clutch is close...but I think he is just afraid of getting rid of him, not delusional about his potential and game. 

Edited by GCMD, May 31, 2016 - 06:50 PM.

tenor.gif

#5 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,544 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 31, 2016 - 06:48 PM

Smh.

Randle had a triple double already.

Of course he is not as deferential as Lamar, or as fluid as Simmons but he can be an effective ball moving forward in this league

#6 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,487 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 06:50 PM

In a vacuum,

Randle deserves one more season under a competent coach in a decent offense before the Lakers make any decisions on moving him. He's coming off his rookie season, basically, so that makes things somewhat unfair.

Even so, his value is not high at the moment. It's in the best interest of the franchise to see how Walton can use him, and at the same time let him add some sort of value to his name in case things don't go the way they'd like.
  • JGuez, Ventiquattro, Jody Smokes and 1 other like this

#7 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,852 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted May 31, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Randle is a bully ball player to me. Just seems like that's what he is and will be.
  • GCMD likes this

#8 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,544 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:01 PM

A year is not even enough time.

Look at Paul George who broke his leg.

He didn't play quite as good as he did before the injury.
You look at Randle who started the summer league with restrictions and his age , lack of experience.
This is year 1 of evaluating. Sure if you get a great offer, you listen but we are very much in evaluation mode

#9 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,544 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Randle is a bully ball player to me. Just seems like that's what he is and will be.

His whole career?

No growth?

So basically out of the league soon right? What bully ball player at that size is in the league right now?

#10 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:05 PM

Smh.

Randle had a triple double already.

Of course he is not as deferential as Lamar, or as fluid as Simmons but he can be an effective ball moving forward in this league

I call shenanigans...

In a vacuum,

Randle deserves one more season under a competent coach in a decent offense before the Lakers make any decisions on moving him. He's coming off his rookie season, basically, so that makes things somewhat unfair.

Even so, his value is not high at the moment. It's in the best interest of the franchise to see how Walton can use him, and at the same time let him add some sort of value to his name in case things don't go the way they'd like.

Vacuum...yes.  But we are talking about his affect on the rest of the team.  This offense will do the OPPOSITE of showcasing Randle's talents or raising his trade value.  His value won't get higher by him struggling in an offense that does NOT feature him...and NO ONE expects him to pick this offense up quickly...

If you had an offense that revolved around back-to-the-basket scoring, would you have Lamar Odom as your #1 post option?  No...doesn't make sense.  You COULD make a case for LO bulking up and getting stronger but do you think that you could change LO into a bruiser?

No...just like you're not going to change Randle into system guy who plays off the ball, sets picks for everyone else and doesn't worry about taking over the game by himself...it doesn't work that way.

Kobe and Phil tried to turn Pau into a bruiser...LOL...

tenor.gif

#11 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,544 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:06 PM

They turned Pau into a champion.

Bynum was the bruiser. Pau got tougher.

#12 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,779 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:07 PM

Haha I was waiting for you to make this thread, GCMD. I'll post more comprehensive thoughts in a few days when I get time. 

One obvious thing though -- Randle will never transform into Simmons/LO as they're entirely different players. Randle's tendency to attack the paint and play his bully-ball style won't go away. But I do think it can be controlled and part of a more holistic game. And we'll see some more off-ball movement and screens. 

• GCMD likes this

#13 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,544 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:08 PM

How can you say Randle won't play for his teammates... This is his first year.

JR Smith is playing both sides of the ball effectively, after a decade in the league.

Stop trolling

#14 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,574 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:08 PM

You definitely haven't talked about this subject enough GCMD. Thank the lord you made a thread. I can't wait to read what more you have to say.
  • martin90 likes this

#15 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,544 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:09 PM

Haha I was waiting for you to make this thread, GCMD. I'll post more comprehensive thoughts in a few days when I get time.

One obvious thing though -- Randle will never transform into Simmons/LO as they're entirely different players. Randle's tendency to attack the paint and play his bully-ball style won't go away. But I do think it can be controlled and part of a more holistic game. And we'll see some more off-ball movement and screens.

He'll never be LeBron. Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is a score first POWER FORWARD!!!

#16 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:09 PM

This is how Randle should be used...it's where he'd be most efficient and help the TEAM.  It's also not what this offense is about:

tenor.gif

#17 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:21 PM

He'll never be LeBron. Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is a score first POWER FORWARD!!!

That's the problem.  We don't need that for this offense...

tenor.gif

#18 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:23 PM

His whole career?

No growth?

So basically out of the league soon right? What bully ball player at that size is in the league right now?

See Z-Bo...and he was an AllStar...borderline Franchise player also.

tenor.gif

#19 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,207 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:29 PM

He deserves a year or two of completely ruining our offense before we can determine if he is a good fit or not lol
  • JGuez likes this

#20 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:31 PM

He deserves a year or two of completely ruining our offense before we can determine if he is a good fit or not lol

Yep...if you want to drive his trade value lower, sure.

tenor.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Julius Randle, fit, potential, trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users