Photo

Transform Jordan Clarkson into a 6th man?

• Please log in to reply
539 replies to this topic

#81 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 19, 2016 - 09:54 AM

You can tell the way guys turn their nose's up at certain names when they don't mention them that they haven't watched them much.  While I'd be hesistant to over pay Fournier it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world considering he'd fit with the current young guys AND either of Simmons and Ingram.  At some point it's ok to over pay for talent that helps elevate the other guys.  A guy that can give you 13-17 while shooting an elite percentage from deep and versatile offensively is worth it. 

I'd be hesitant to sign any SG who isn't a star if we are committed to resigning JC...I think most people see the logjam at the 2/3 coming with Ingram (most likely), JC, Lou, Nick and Brown...adding in Fournier (for a lot of money) without shipping out Nick and Lou would make that worse, no?

I get that you didn't say we wouldn't make a trade but for me, that's why it's not high on my wishlist...seems like concentrating on a position that's not devoid of talent and ignoring 4/5 isn't the best way to approach FA...

tenor.gif

#82 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,391 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Well obviously I hope we go for whiteside regardless. Fournier would be nice but isn't necessary

If it were up to me I'd trade Williams and young

I'd sign whiteside, speights, bazemore.

I mean sure in that scenario you could throw a ton of money at Fournier. But I do want those 3 guys and that allows clarkson to stay as a starter.

Whiteside/ speights/ black
Randle/ nance/ Kelly
Ingram/ bazemore/ brown
Clarkson/ bazemore
Russell/ clarkson/ Huertas

Something like that. However back to Fournier. I see him fit wise as better next to Russell. He's tall, a spot up sniper, and crafty. Sure I want clarkson here and if you void yourself of young and Williams clarkson can have the same impact Williams did. Clarkson would easily get 30-34 minutes a game and have the ball in his hands more often. And the starting 5 would just have so much more spacing and length.

Whiteside 7-0
Randle 6-9
Ingram 6-9
Fournier 6-7
Russell 6-5

That's very similar to GS. And off the bench you get to bring in someone like clarkson, nance and maybe some free agents
Posted Image

#83 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 19, 2016 - 10:59 AM

Its LA, fans love names SMH...

The focus must be Whiteside anyone else after signing HW is a bonus.

Just reading about pat riley saying that whiteside is their top priority this off season. I would love to have him on board as well but it'll be tough. Festus Ezeli would be fine if we can't have whiteside.

#84 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,220 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted May 19, 2016 - 11:01 AM

Just reading about pat riley saying that whiteside is their top priority this off season. I would love to have him on board as well but it'll be tough. Festus Ezeli would be fine if we can't have whiteside.

I just heard Riles say MIA would make sure Wade is a lifer... based on the pay cuts Wade has taken in the past and his recent tone of getting paid, there may not be enough cheddar for Whiteside.

Nevertheless Horford is really growing on me...

Edited by LACAS, May 19, 2016 - 11:02 AM.

#85 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,391 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 11:05 AM

Horford doesn't make sense for us unless youre somehow bringing in other talent of you're content with him mentoring the young guys

If we miss out on whiteside then just throw money at biyombo and speights both

Biyombo is 23 and very athletic and long. And he's a guy who's been given small minutes and looks to be a potential diamond in the rough if made a starter
Posted Image

#86 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,391 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 11:13 AM

But on whiteside. It's going to be all about the pitch. Miami isn't a contender moving forward and can't offer him as much money as us unless wade retires or they drop him

So we have a shot at whiteside as of now. That may change but as of now the shot is legitimately there. Whiteside if healthy alone adds wins. Then you factor in Randle and Russell year 2 on the court. You factor in nance year 2. Clarkson year 3. A better coach (hopefully) and then a potential star talent in Ingram

And other free agents you sign. The lakers could jump into the 30 win club. Maybe even 35. Which would be welcome. Anything in the 40s is gravy.

The other factor I think goes forgotten is the GS and okc factor. Nothing we do outside of signing Durant or injury is going to put us into legitimate contention

Right now the west is set for at least 2-4 more years. Our only hope of jumping back into title contention is to build a core through Russell, Ingram, Randle that in their primes form a contender
  • LACAS likes this
Posted Image

#87 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 11:15 AM

you are one of the most ignorant person on this forum dude..seriously..

just because i have an illusion of how things can workout for our team you immediatly pump it and transform my opinion into some funny topic ..

its uncool

haha !!!

#88 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,538 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 19, 2016 - 11:16 AM

Wade can get a 4 year deal to compensate for the "paycut".
  • LACAS likes this

#89 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,372 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 19, 2016 - 11:24 AM

Miami has just enough to max Whiteside and give Wade 20 million annually.  All they have to do is renounce every player on the team besides Whiteside, Wade, Bosh, Dragic, Winslow, and McRoberts (under contract) and then fill out the remaining 9 roster spots with veteran minimum guys lol.  

• LACAS likes this

#90 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts
  • Name:William

Posted May 19, 2016 - 01:31 PM

But on whiteside. It's going to be all about the pitch. Miami isn't a contender moving forward and can't offer him as much money as us unless wade retires or they drop him

So we have a shot at whiteside as of now. That may change but as of now the shot is legitimately there. Whiteside if healthy alone adds wins. Then you factor in Randle and Russell year 2 on the court. You factor in nance year 2. Clarkson year 3. A better coach (hopefully) and then a potential star talent in Ingram

And other free agents you sign. The lakers could jump into the 30 win club. Maybe even 35. Which would be welcome. Anything in the 40s is gravy.

The other factor I think goes forgotten is the GS and okc factor. Nothing we do outside of signing Durant or injury is going to put us into legitimate contention

Right now the west is set for at least 2-4 more years. Our only hope of jumping back into title contention is to build a core through Russell, Ingram, Randle that in their primes form a contender

I think Miami is cheating the system by not letting Bosh play so they could get some incentive by having an injured player on the roster. Bosh and his reps are saying that he is ready to play but Miami and their doctors are saying otherwise. By doing that, they're able to use that incentive without taking a hit on their salary cap for next season. I hate miami for doing this. Its not illegal but still cheating the system for their own interest. I'm sure they can sign Whiteside with no problem at all.

#91 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,079 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted May 19, 2016 - 03:09 PM

I just heard Riles say MIA would make sure Wade is a lifer... based on the pay cuts Wade has taken in the past and his recent tone of getting paid, there may not be enough cheddar for Whiteside.

Nevertheless Horford is really growing on me...

I'd almost bet the farm that Wade ends up a part owner of Miami (like Magic and Lakers) and that's somehow part of his next deal, perhaps unwritten but understood, if he has to sign for below his value in order to sign Whiteside.

He's worth quite a lot to that franchise and community. More than any other heat player in their history.

Micky takes care of him imo

Edited by kball, May 19, 2016 - 03:11 PM.

• LACAS likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#92 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,157 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted May 19, 2016 - 06:23 PM

Ingram is versatile enough to not be caught in the log jam.  Dude is a legit 6'9".  More than likely he's going to play some small ball 4, especially if he can rebound well in the pros.  Nick Young isn't even a factor, everyone knows he's getting cut and if their is a log jam they can slip Lou out into cap room for a 2nd round pick quite easily.  DLo, Clarkson, Huertas and add in another 1/2 you are ok there.  Brown fits into the 2/3 area and Ingram can pretty much go from 2-4.  Not really an issue.  

I'd be hesitant to sign any SG who isn't a star if we are committed to resigning JC...I think most people see the logjam at the 2/3 coming with Ingram (most likely), JC, Lou, Nick and Brown...adding in Fournier (for a lot of money) without shipping out Nick and Lou would make that worse, no?

I get that you didn't say we wouldn't make a trade but for me, that's why it's not high on my wishlist...seems like concentrating on a position that's not devoid of talent and ignoring 4/5 isn't the best way to approach FA...

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#93 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 10:18 PM

Ingram is versatile enough to not be caught in the log jam.  Dude is a legit 6'9".  More than likely he's going to play some small ball 4, especially if he can rebound well in the pros.  Nick Young isn't even a factor, everyone knows he's getting cut and if their is a log jam they can slip Lou out into cap room for a 2nd round pick quite easily.  DLo, Clarkson, Huertas and add in another 1/2 you are ok there.  Brown fits into the 2/3 area and Ingram can pretty much go from 2-4.  Not really an issue.  

So basically, you're saying your suggestion was based on moving Nick and Lou?  Cool...

That's easier to digest.

Ingram at the 4 is not a good idea...at least not until he cracks 220lbs...that won't be this year.  So Ingram, right now, is a 3...you could try sliding him up or down for a few minutes depending on the lineup but 90% of his minutes will likely come at the 3.

If you're making a case for Fournier being a better player than Clarkson, I'd like to hear/read that discussion...and the fact that Fournier will require 5-7M more (than Clarkson) to get will be interesting...

IMHO, we need to concentrate our assets on 4/5s who stretch the floor, pass and/or anchor the defense.  A player like Fournier would be nice to have but failure to address more immediate needs would be counterproductive (IMO) and could cost us 5-10 wins next season.  I'm not saying your suggestion is without merit...

tenor.gif

#94 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,391 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 10:32 PM

I think if you sign whiteside then Fournier is a good sign. I'd rather have a 3 guard rotation of Fournier, clarkson and Russell

Than our current rotation. If it were up to me our free agency would consist of

Whiteside (max), Fournier (15m), bazemore (8m), speights (7m)

Then match clarkson and black. Let Kelly walk. Trade Williams and young in a package to a team in need of offense

To me that puts us up 10 wins easily

Granted that's a lot of money shelled out for players who are just solid outside of whiteside. But at 23 Fournier has room to grow and is a very good fit. He plays team ball and shoots incredibly well.

Whiteside/ speights/ black
Randle/ nance
Ingram/ bazemore/ brown
Fournier/ clarkson
Russell/ clarkson/ huertas

I'd be thrilled if that's what we rolled into next year with that roster. I'd venture to say 35 wins
Posted Image

#95 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,487 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 11:44 PM

I think it's fair to say we're already at 30 wins. Hell, last seasons roster was by no means a 17-win team. That roster with the right coaching should have taken at least 25 games. It was better than the team that won 21 and better than the team that won 27. Granted, the competition changes, but I don't see the West getting significantly tougher next season.

The improvements of all our young guys collectively, an actual head coach with an actual offense + a #2 pick who is going to contribute (Simmons more than Ingram). That's a 13 win improvement to me already.

Free agency is what determines if we compete for a lower playoff seed or not. Whiteside + Fournier + Bazemore? That makes it pretty interesting. You're looking at a very strong team down the road with those additions.

Edited by Massacre, May 19, 2016 - 11:50 PM.

• GCMD likes this

#96 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 02:41 AM

Bazemore wont come off the bench.
  • GCMD, kidpolean and LACAS like this

#97 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,201 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 20, 2016 - 03:09 AM

Bazemore wont come off the bench.

everyone is going to completely ignore this relevant and logical post
  • manaro90 likes this

#98 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,212 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2016 - 04:53 AM

everyone is going to completely ignore this relevant and logical post

haha

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#99 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,326 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted May 20, 2016 - 08:12 AM

We need to seriously get on the phone with Fourniers agent. Him and Ingram will be a solid offseason. Them and Russell in Luke's system based off ball movement means they will get a lot of opportunities for knock down shots. Fournier is the type of acquisition that people overlook but it would probably be the best for the team.

#100 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,538 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 20, 2016 - 09:23 AM

Why would ORLANDO let him go.

That's your man crush and only suggestion.

It's unrealistic and not happening. We don't pursue RFAs and certainly don't overpay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users