• Please log in to reply
727 replies to this topic

#21 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,444 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 29, 2016 - 06:37 PM

Part of me is excited. Other part of me is unsure about this. I don't know who else we could have gotten anyway though..? Guess we'll see how things go when the season is in full swing.

I really wanted Messina or Ollie but it was obvious that the Lakers weren't really gonna give Messina a chance and Ollie shot down the opportunity earlier

• LACAS likes this

#22 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 12,207 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 29, 2016 - 06:38 PM

Good
  • jax24 likes this

code_zpsj83hyqrt.jpg

#23 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,137 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 29, 2016 - 06:39 PM

He was my 2nd choice.

I'm happy. Luke isn't an idiot, he's a smart guy. Being as young as he is, and being around winning players/coaches as much as he has will give him some wisdom that those re-tread coaches just won't. He's seen the garbage head coaches we've had and their end results. He won't want to make those same mistakes.

#24 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,221 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted April 29, 2016 - 06:43 PM

Today is a good day.

#25 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,299 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted April 29, 2016 - 06:50 PM

Luke back on the laker bench. Where he always belonged!

I'm very happy with this hire.

And the way in which the Lakers did it.

Nice job all the way around and very good timing on all of it-from letting byron go to hiring Luke---5 days

Edited by kball, April 29, 2016 - 06:51 PM.

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#26 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,200 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted April 29, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Ramona just said Walton was our first and only choice since they didn't interview anyone else.

#27 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,299 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 06:54 PM

^

Guess that 3 year 15 million we gave him as a 4 point scorer paid off

Edited by kball, April 29, 2016 - 06:54 PM.

• bigvee likes this

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

#28 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,444 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 06:54 PM

Ramona just said Walton was our first and only choice since they didn't interview anyone else.

Well it's easy to say that after the fact. What if he declines? We wouldn't hire a coach ever again? Lol

• lakerfan98 likes this

#29 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TEIAM

• 2,423 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted April 29, 2016 - 06:56 PM

Fantastic. Let's see how this is followed up

#30 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,534 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

I knew it. Luke loves the Lakers too much, and he's excited to take on the challenge. 

It was Luke or Messina for me. Maybe the FO believes in Luke now and for the future. Welcome back, Luke!

#31 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 53,198 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Didn't get a chance to. They just jumped all over after Luke's first meeting and signed him without hearing the vision of anyone else. Including Messina's. 

I've yet to see this offensive style Luke will bring(as he has no defensive philosophies I know about) primarily turn a team that was wading at the bottom of a conference and turn them into a playoff team. 

I've seen it to wonders for a team that's already talented and needed an offensive change. And I've seen it turn teams that were top 5 in the league defensively into Finals Contenders. But I've never seen it take a struggling team on both ends of the court, and turn them into a playoffs contender. Not since it was first introduced in the early 2000s and the league wasn't ready for and hadn't adapted to it. 

Saw Houston try, Just watched New Orleans try with Gentry himself, Watched The New York Knicks try. 

The Warriors succeeded because of everything else they'd built prior to implementing it, and it was the offense that took one of the league's best defensive teams and put them over the top. Golden State prior to that built their team extremely well under the brilliance of Jerry West and put together great role players and fantastic draft picks, with a superstar in the making if they implement the right offense to this team. They went and got a fantastic coach that can maintain talent in Kerr(things he learned from Phil) and brought in someone else to implement the offense in Gentry. And it fit perfectly. But I've yet to see that system do anything for a team starting a rebuild or struggling at the 8th seed. Not since the early 2000s. 

Aside from that it's been the same story over and over and over again, and while I'd love to hope the Lakers would be the "special different" case building from the ground up with it. I don't see it tbh. Hope I'm wrong. 

The fact they apparently didn't even give Messina an interview yet to see what his vision was and weigh it against Luke's, pisses me off to the core. But it doesn't surprise me, and it sucks that it doesn't surprise me.  Making a snap decision without listening to any other coaches vision so that it even gives you pause is the kind of decision making the FO gets hated on. And if Luke struggles, it's gonna come out that they never even gave Messina or other coaches an interview and it's gonna reflect really bad, that the Lakers went for the sexy pick as opposed to a well informed and educated decision. But this time, it would be the FO's own fault and would rest squarely on Mitch and Jim's shoulders.

All I can say is I hope I'm wrong.  But I personally think the Lakers couldn't have been more wrong here, and it's an error that's gonna cost them their FO when it doesn't work out.   But I really hope I'm wrong. 

Edited by Majesty, April 29, 2016 - 07:04 PM.

• GCMD and avcpl like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#32 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,534 posts

I read that they had other interviews lined up, but they canceled them after the meeting with Luke. 

#33 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,588 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted April 29, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Not sure about this.
  • FranklinPeanuts and GCMD like this

#34 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,444 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 07:00 PM

Luke and Mitch/Jim must have some crazy relationship now that you think about it. First they give him 15 million to sit on a bench as a player, and now they hire him immediately as a coach in what might have been the most important coaching hire of the franchise moving forward.

What does Luke bring to the table that we don't know about?  :huh:

• GCMD likes this

#35 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,299 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 07:02 PM

Luke and Mitch/Jim must have some crazy relationship now that you think about it. First they give him 15 million to sit on a bench as a player, and now they hire him immediately as a coach in what might have been the most important coaching hire of the franchise moving forward.

What does Luke bring to the table that we don't know about?  :huh:

Harrison Barnes?

• MaceWindu and veix like this

#36 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 12,207 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 29, 2016 - 07:04 PM

Luke has the Force
  • AnnoyingCustomer, K-Kris, Xinxin and 2 others like this

code_zpsj83hyqrt.jpg

#37 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,423 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 29, 2016 - 07:04 PM

The key now for Luke is to hire the correct assistants. It will be interesting who he will hire this off-season.

Now, let's hope the Lakers can keep their pick!

#38 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 3,302 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted April 29, 2016 - 07:10 PM

If phil stay away then its a great hire.

Lets see what the FO brings this summer

Enviado desde mi LG-V500 mediante Tapatalk
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#39 DTIII™

DTIII™

"I am one with the force, the force is with me."

• 5,630 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Julius, D'Angelo & Jordan

Well, not my first choice but we'll see what happens.

EyMlHkX.jpg

#40 TNLakerfanKB24

TNLakerfanKB24

Rookie

• 145 posts
  • Name:Josh Brewer
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Whiners. Can't please em all. Let's hire a guy 2 years from the nursing home! He has visions...psychic visions! Good grief.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users