Photo

2016 Lakers Super Team (Pipe Dream Thread)

Free Agency KD Lebron pipe dream Super Team Dwight DeRozan

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Чад

Чад

Kings

• 4,683 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 27, 2016 - 02:07 PM

Melo? Kobe was done at that point! That wasn't prime Kobe and not even close! Our roster had no talent.

Melo made the right decision based on Kobe's age, injuries, and decline.

You don't think people would have loved to play with 05-06 Kobe?

Wish we could have got Melo 5 years ago.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#42 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted April 27, 2016 - 06:05 PM

It doesnt matter if he's the 2nd option or not.  Bad basketball is bad basketball.  His temperament on the court is still an issue.  The things wrong with him shouldnt continue to get downplayed.  

true but we've never seen him be a 2ND option and we wouldn't have many other legit options. Outside of Butler/Cousins, who could we trade for?

If we tell KD we are running with are young guys, he is walking out the door!

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#43 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,093 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted April 27, 2016 - 07:41 PM

It doesnt matter if he's the 2nd option or not.  Bad basketball is bad basketball.  His temperament on the court is still an issue.  The things wrong with him shouldnt continue to get downplayed.

I think you are overreacting lol

#44 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 07:47 PM

I think you are overreacting lol

Or you're underreacting.

#45 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 27, 2016 - 08:11 PM

true but we've never seen him be a 2ND option and we wouldn't have many other legit options. Outside of Butler/Cousins, who could we trade for?

If we tell KD we are running with are young guys, he is walking out the door!

I think it's a bad idea to move Russell and i wouldn't move Ingram or Simmons either, unless Durant demands it. Dont you think the Cavs regret moving Wiggins for Love? They may look ok now with Love, but Wiggins at the 3 with Lebron at the 4 would have been more effective. Now and in 5 years.

Other guys could be Paul George, which isn't happening. How about this: Westbrook. If we signed Durant, Batum and Whiteside, would the Thunder say no to a deal involving Russell and Simmons?

#46 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,093 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 08:18 PM

Or you're underreacting.

I said Whiteside was my first option...WTF else do you want from me. I'd trade for Cousins if the situation called for it.

#47 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,093 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 08:19 PM

I think it's a bad idea to move Russell and i wouldn't move Ingram or Simmons either, unless Durant demands it. Dont you think the Cavs regret moving Wiggins for Love? They may look ok now with Love, but Wiggins at the 3 with Lebron at the 4 would have been more effective. Now and in 5 years.

Other guys could be Paul George, which isn't happening. How about this: Westbrook. If we signed Durant, Batum and Whiteside, would the Thunder say no to a deal involving Russell and Simmons?

considering the fact that they probably needed to do that trade to lure in LeBron, I doubt they regret it at all.

#48 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 08:31 PM

I said Whiteside was my first option...WTF else do you want from me. I'd trade for Cousins if the situation called for it.

LOL why are you always pissed?

What situation though?

I honestly cant find a situation where id trade the whole core for him. I know they may not pan out and i know that Cousins is a beast. But Im not willing to waste the results of the rebuild for a guy who couldnt help his team to contend for a playoff spot, let alone secure one.

Both Durant and Cousins are ball dominant players. The latter is a head case. Go watch the Kings games. He's always an inch away from getting ejected.

Thats not a guy I want on my team. Even if Durant decides to come, I'd understand if they got Cousins but I dont see a scenario where both can coexist.

Again, Durant may never be interested in joining the Lakers and the Kings may want the trio + the pick this year for him. Im not doing that.

I know you said you prefer HW to DMC, but whatever DMC has over HW is compensated by keeping the young guys.

• GCMD likes this

#49 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,093 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 08:53 PM

LOL why are you always pissed?

What situation though?

I honestly cant find a situation where id trade the whole core for him. I know they may not pan out and i know that Cousins is a beast. But Im not willing to waste the results of the rebuild for a guy who couldnt help his team to contend for a playoff spot, let alone secure one.

Both Durant and Cousins are ball dominant players. The latter is a head case. Go watch the Kings games. He's always an inch away from getting ejected.

Thats not a guy I want on my team. Even if Durant decides to come, I'd understand if they got Cousins but I dont see a scenario where both can coexist.

Again, Durant may never be interested in joining the Lakers and the Kings may want the trio + the pick this year for him. Im not doing that.

I know you said you prefer HW to DMC, but whatever DMC has over HW is compensated by keeping the young guys.

I get pissed when people keep picking at my statements as if I have any actual control over the team. Then we go back and forth with me repeating myself over and over again.

KD is NOT playing with our young core...that is 100% NOT HAPPENING! So that idea needs to be put to rest. It ain't happening. Not now, not ever...NEVER!!!!

If we can't get Whiteside but KD wants to come here the only realistic options are Butler and Cousins as far as trades go for stars...I've said this like 100 times! Butler is a stretch because Bulls can still make some moves and they are in the east. That leaves us with Cousins...if KD wants to come here and we can't get Whiteside, I'd have no problem trading for Cousins.

Dude..Kobe played with Shaq! Wade and Bosh were both pretty ball dominant before playing with LeBron. Lowry plays with Derozan and KD plays with Westbrook. We don't know how they'd work until after they actually play together.

I'm not Mitch but if we just look at his past actions...he'd probably pull the trigger on Cousins as well if KD wants to come here.

I get it...you don't like Cousins.

Edited by kidpolean, April 27, 2016 - 08:55 PM.

#50 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 09:00 PM

I get pissed when people keep picking at my statements as if I have any actual control over the team. Then we go back and forth with me repeating myself over and over again.

KD is NOT playing with our young core...that is 100% NOT HAPPENING! So that idea needs to be put to rest. It ain't happening. Not now, not ever...NEVER!!!!

If we can't get Whiteside but KD wants to come here the only realistic options are Butler and Cousins as far as trades go for stars...I've said this like 100 times! Butler is a stretch because Bulls can still make some moves and they are in the east. That leaves us with Cousins...if KD wants to come here and we can't get Whiteside, I'd have no problem trading for Cousins.

Dude..Kobe played with Shaq! Wade and Bosh were both pretty ball dominant before playing with LeBron. Lowry plays with Derozan and KD plays with Westbrook. We don't know how they'd work until after they actually play together.

I'm not Mitch but if we just look at his past actions...he'd probably pull the trigger on Cousins as well if KD wants to come here.

I never suggested that Durant is coming in the first place. And im not sure getting Cousins would change his mind. Pretty sure that he'll re-sign with the Thunder.

All the players you mentioned arent Cousins man. Do you even watch the Kings ? The dude has anger problems lol.

#51 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 10:01 PM

considering the fact that they probably needed to do that trade to lure in LeBron, I doubt they regret it at all.

I know, but dont you think Lebron regret making that demand though.

You presume you know everything. You dont. Som people, including myself, thought Lebron would go back to Cleveland a few years ago, because 1) it was obvious that Wade's level of play really declined and the team had real issues and 2) because he had unfinished business there. I never said it would definitely happen, but i thought there was a real chance that it would. Of course, some guys had your typical "100% NOT HAPPENING"-approach, which is complete bs, because as fans we dont know what goes into these guys' decisions.  

The fact of the matter is that management in OKC has done a horrible job at putting Durant and Westbrook in a position to succeed both one the floor in terms of a team and on the sidelines in terms of coaching. He may be sick and tired of that and while he's giving the impression that he likes playing with Westbrook, he may want to be "the man", which he isn't anymore.

#52 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,093 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 10:08 PM

You presume you know everything. You dont. Som people, including myself, thought Lebron would go back to Cleveland a few years ago, because 1) it was obvious that Wade's level of play really declined and the team had real issues and 2) because he had unfinished business there. I never said it would definitely happen, but i thought there was a real chance that it would. Of course, some guys had your typical "100% NOT HAPPENING"-approach, which is complete bs, because as fans we dont know what goes into these guys' decisions.  

The fact of the matter is that management in OKC has done a horrible job at putting Durant and Westbrook in a position to succeed both one the floor in terms of a team and on the sidelines in terms of coaching. He may be sick and tired of that and while he's giving the impression that he likes playing with Westbrook, he may want to be "the man", which he isn't anymore.

how much you want to bet that Durant, Randle, Clarkson, Russell never play for the sane team?

I never suggested that Durant is coming in the first place. And im not sure getting Cousins would change his mind. Pretty sure that he'll re-sign with the Thunder.

All the players you mentioned arent Cousins man. Do you even watch the Kings ? The dude has anger problems lol.

I don't understand what Cousins attitude has to do with this or how my stance in anyway implies that I don't watch the Kings! You asked me in what situation would I trade for Cousins and I answered it. No he isn't ideal, which I've stated many times, but there isn't many other options. Cousins, as far as a trade, goes is probably the best legit option. There is no such thing as a perfect team, especially if you are trying to build one in one off season.

#53 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,559 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 27, 2016 - 10:21 PM

I'm gonna throw out another scenario (obviously a pipe dream)

Trade Russell/Top pick for Paul George

Sign Conley

Sign Whiteside

Sign Afllalo

Conley

Afflalo/Lou

PG

Randle/Nance

Whiteside/Black

Defensive juggernaut of a team. Fill the bench with some vets. Hire Messina for this bunch.

Edited by bigvee, April 27, 2016 - 10:25 PM.

#54 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,093 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 10:25 PM

You presume you know everything. You dont. Som people, including myself, thought Lebron would go back to Cleveland a few years ago, because 1) it was obvious that Wade's level of play really declined and the team had real issues and 2) because he had unfinished business there. I never said it would definitely happen, but i thought there was a real chance that it would. Of course, some guys had your typical "100% NOT HAPPENING"-approach, which is complete bs, because as fans we dont know what goes into these guys' decisions.

so let me get this straight...

Your counter argument to me saying that KD won't come here to play with our young guys is that LeBron went to Cleveland and didn't want to play with a young guys?

To make you feel better...there is a 0.000000000000000001% chance that KD agrees to play here while we also develop Russell, Randle, Clarkson, and the pick. Is that better?

What's confusing to me is that in another thread you mentioned trading our youth...well why do that if KD is willing to play with them?

Edited by kidpolean, April 27, 2016 - 10:33 PM.

#55 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,117 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 27, 2016 - 10:26 PM

I'm gonna throw out another scenario (obviously a pipe dream)

Trade Russell/Top pick for Paul George

Sign Conley

Sign Whiteside

Sign Afllalo

Conley

Afflalo/Lou

PG

Randle/Nance

Whiteside/Black

Defensive juggernaut of a team. Fill the bench with some vets. Hire Messina for this bunch.

So did Nick Young murder D'Angelo Russell over the offseason in this scenario or what?

#56 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,559 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 27, 2016 - 10:29 PM

So did Nick Young murder D'Angelo Russell over the offseason in this scenario or what?

I edited my original post.

#57 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 11:43 PM

so let me get this straight...

Your counter argument to me saying that KD won't come here to play with our young guys is that LeBron went to Cleveland and didn't want to play with a young guys?

To make you feel better...there is a 0.000000000000000001% chance that KD agrees to play here while we also develop Russell, Randle, Clarkson, and the pick. Is that better?

What's confusing to me is that in another thread you mentioned trading our youth...well why do that if KD is willing to play with them?

I never said i didn’t think we should trade our youth. I’m all for trading the #3 pick, Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Brown the #32. I just think that trading Russell or Simmons/Ingram would be a bit shortsighted and i wouldn't do that unless someone like Durant demands it or if there are real stars (plural) to be had. As early as next season i think the combined on-court-value of Russell-Simmons-Randle would be higher than that of Boogie Cousins and i think the way you truly create a superteam is by adding 3 max level guys to a core of top tier prospects (on rookie deals). A Russell-Ingram/Simmons combo would be right on par with the Wiggins-Towns combo in Minny and if those two were in a major market that had 70M in cap space i think many FAs - including a guy like Durant - would give them strong consideration despite their age.

#58 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted April 28, 2016 - 04:38 AM

Just false imo.

Theyve got a 2 headed beast in kanter and adams, and the last 2 seasons they had injuries to their major stars. Thats more a result of bad luck than putting them in a horrible position to succeed

And they've remained among the best teams in the league after losing harden and r jackson.

And a thought on Sactown--They had a beast in Boogie, and the league leader in assists and they were still no where near the playoffs and fired their coach in less than 2 years. Clearly a cluster over their.

Wonder where Rondo ends up. Indy?

Edited by kball, April 28, 2016 - 04:42 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#59 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,093 posts

Posted April 28, 2016 - 06:15 AM

I never said i didn’t think we should trade our youth. I’m all for trading the #3 pick, Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Brown the #32. I just think that trading Russell or Simmons/Ingram would be a bit shortsighted and i wouldn't do that unless someone like Durant demands it or if there are real stars (plural) to be had. As early as next season i think the combined on-court-value of Russell-Simmons-Randle would be higher than that of Boogie Cousins and i think the way you truly create a superteam is by adding 3 max level guys to a core of top tier prospects (on rookie deals). A Russell-Ingram/Simmons combo would be right on par with the Wiggins-Towns combo in Minny and if those two were in a major market that had 70M in cap space i think many FAs - including a guy like Durant - would give them strong consideration despite their age.

yes it is completely shortsighted! But that's how you have to be if you want a 28 year old star to come here. KD doesn't have time to waste, he needs to win now. To build a "super team" you need atleast two stars. OKC has Durant and Westbrook right now! Those two are better than any combination of players we could get via trade or free agency. They have Ibaka, Adams, and Kanter...it would be hard to get more talent than that without trading Russell and the pick.

Here's the problem with keeping those guys, you are essentially throwing away a couple years of KD's prime to develop them. Russell is not going to be ready to win a ring next year, and neither will Simmons/Ingram...they may not be ready to compete at that level for 3-4 years! How do you pitch that to KD? Just wait until you're 31 years old and Russell/Simmons will carry you once you start to decline?

I understand your side of this. If KD wasn't a factor, I also wouldn't do that trade. I really like Cousins but as you said going forward Simmons, Russell, and Randle will be better to have. However, if we get KD we have to capitalize now or there's no point. The team you suggest we run with, will get knocked out of the second round every year unless our young guys play at damn near all star level. Next season that team probably loses in the 1st round! The west is tough.

Edited by kidpolean, April 28, 2016 - 06:18 AM.

#60 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,918 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 28, 2016 - 07:13 AM

Too many arguments over what one person believes will or won't happen...shouldn't or should happen.

This is meant to be a fantasy thread.  If you want to debate the merits of a player or a combination of players, go for it.  But leave the "Voice of Reason" stuff at the door.

Let it go or I will be requesting a clean up of the thread or I'll just delete it.  Senseless bickering in a thread that's not meant to be taken too seriously?  Why?

BTW, I HATE Cousins and I don't want him anywhere near my Lakers but if he's a part of your Super Team Pipe Dream, that's A-Ok...

tenor.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Free Agency, KD, Lebron, pipe dream, Super Team, Dwight, DeRozan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users