Photo

Do you regret the Lakers not going after Isiah Thomas?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,497 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 22, 2016 - 11:41 PM

2 Years ago when Isiah Thomas was a FA the Lakers could have gotten him, they had the chance..

Hes a huge Lakers fan..

Now He is playing terriffic post season in Boston and is kinda their go to guy

a big heart over height guy..amazing talent

Your thoughts?

Thomas > Russell???

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#2 Toe Sucker

Toe Sucker

I suck my own toes.

• 11,777 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 11:43 PM

thomas is miles ahead better than Russell.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 22, 2016 - 11:45 PM

Thomas > Russell right now.  Thomas > Russell 3-4 years from now when Russell is entering his prime? Likely not.  

And if this playoff series has shown us anything it's that Thomas isn't the guy you have leading your playoff team.   

I said that he could and would put up Kyrie numbers if he was in the East, back when he was on Sacramento.  And he has been.  At the same time his lack of defense among other things isn't leading a team anywhere in the playoffs. Especially as long as Cleveland is there.    

He however would be an amazing 6th man on a championship roster and a solid starter on a middle of the playoffs one.  

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#4 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,497 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 23, 2016 - 03:04 AM

i would have loved to see him in LA

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#5 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

The Innovators

• 1,745 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Kyle Kuzma

Posted April 23, 2016 - 05:37 AM

Lakers only goes after superstar material.

Edited by Ring Chaser, April 23, 2016 - 05:37 AM.

"If you're going to lose, you have to lose because you can't be in the middle of the pack. You either have to be great or you have to be bad to get a good pick" - Earvin Magic Johnson

#6 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,596 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 23, 2016 - 06:59 AM

Thomas > Russell right now. Thomas > Russell 3-4 years from now when Russell is entering his prime? Likely not.

And if this playoff series has shown us anything it's that Thomas isn't the guy you have leading your playoff team.

I said that he could and would put up Kyrie numbers if he was in the East, back when he was on Sacramento. And he has been. At the same time his lack of defense among other things isn't leading a team anywhere in the playoffs. Especially as long as Cleveland is there.

He however would be an amazing 6th man on a championship roster and a solid starter on a middle of the playoffs one.

So you skip out on a guy 2 years ago because there's another guy who might be better 3-4 years after that? So we suck for 5-6 years in total for the opportunity to have a better player?

Define his role however you want, IT is a winning player on a winning team. He's fantastic. When you're not able to sign top tier free agents, you grab guys like IT to avoid the lottery year after year.

#7 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,587 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted April 23, 2016 - 07:11 AM

Thomas > Russell right now. Thomas > Russell 3-4 years from now when Russell is entering his prime? Likely not.

I said that he could and would put up Kyrie numbers if he was in the East, back when he was on Sacramento. And he has been. At the same time his lack of defense among other things isn't leading a team anywhere in the playoffs. Especially as long as Cleveland is there.

dude I hope this is a joke!
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#8 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,652 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 23, 2016 - 07:20 AM

I think it's best that we sacrificed 5-10 additional wins to truly rebuild

#9 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,164 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 23, 2016 - 07:41 AM

This is why I dont like to discuss hypothetical situations particularly ones that are in hindsight.  Passing on IT2 was a terrible decision UNLESS they were trying to tank.  The real problem is that they decided not to do ANYTHING until Melo made his decision.  This is why they lost out of Bazemore by not offering him the QO to retain him as an RFA and he walked over to ATL from pennies, BUT they signed Nick Young to a 4 year deal lmao

• LakerGeezer and lakerfan98 like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#10 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,164 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 07:42 AM

Every FO has there ups and downs so let's not use passing on IT2 to dump on Mitch/Jim b/c this regime has done well getting talent via draft post Dwight. 

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#11 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,970 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 08:03 AM

Isiah Thomas is 54 years old. Isaiah Thomas, however, yes -- Lakers should have gone after him. He even wanted to be here. 

#12 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 6,177 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 08:14 AM

We drafted Darius Morris over him. lmao

9QBrl.gif

#13 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 24,241 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar

Posted April 23, 2016 - 08:56 AM

I don't regret anything, I don't work for them lol

• Lakersfan1211, Ventiquattro and Jody Smokes like this

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#14 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,996 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 23, 2016 - 09:56 AM

This is why I dont like to discuss hypothetical situations particularly ones that are in hindsight.  Passing on IT2 was a terrible decision UNLESS they were trying to tank.  The real problem is that they decided not to do ANYTHING until Melo made his decision.  This is why they lost out of Bazemore by not offering him the QO to retain him as an RFA and he walked over to ATL from pennies, BUT they signed Nick Young to a 4 year deal lmao

Yea exactly hindsight is tricky like that.  Maybe it was for the best that we let players like IT, Baze, Davis, etc. go because we were really terrible and got high draft picks as a result.  But the flip side nobody ever wants to talk about is maybe with a decent foundation of players (not just them) we could have also signed guys like Parsons and Aldridge and maybe we'd be a 40 something win playoff team with 30+ million in cap space this summer.  Sure it may have been better for the Lakers in the long run to bottom out but with the exception of this past season don't try and convince me that this has all been some master plan from the second that Dwight left because I'm not buying it.  Roster mistakes were definitely made; it's not just about the coaching.  Drafting well is the only thing the Lakers have done well in the past 2 calendar years.         

Edited by lakerfan98, April 23, 2016 - 09:58 AM.

• LACAS likes this

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 23, 2016 - 09:56 AM

Yes, unfortunately when it comes to Bazemore they shouldn't have done that.  But putting all their eggs in a basket unfortunately has been there thing for a while.  And losing Bazemore just because they didn't offer him a RFA is something they likely now regret considering it then became Wesley Johnson that got all those responsibilities that initially Bazemore could be trusted with. 

Yea exactly hindsight is tricky like that.  Maybe it was for the best that we let players like IT, Baze, Davis, etc. go because we were really terrible and got high draft picks as a result.  But the flip side nobody ever wants to talk about is maybe with a decent foundation of players (not just them) we could have also signed guys like Parsons and Aldridge and maybe we'd be a 40 something win playoff team with 30+ million in cap space this summer.  Sure it may have been better for the Lakers in the long run to bottom out but with the exception of this past season don't try and convince me that this has all been some master plan from the second that Dwight left because I'm not buying it.  Roster mistakes were definitely made; it's not just about the coaching.  Drafting well is the only thing the Lakers have done right in the past 2 calendar years.         

Essentially that. 

Fortunately for us Bazemore is available this off-season and Thomas the very next.  That is barring him getting an extension in Boston which will most assuredly happen. 

One thing I will say about IT was that it was his problems he caused in the locker room that also got him moved from both Sacramento and Phoenix.   

Boston however treats him like the starter/star he feels he is so he hasn't caused any issues as far as that has been so that's a good thing.  Even still for a good two seasons he was considered a locker room problem. So that may be something to consider.   If he was here right now he'd likely be a backup behind Russell.   If he'd accept that without causing problems, I don't know. 

What I do know is that despite those mistakes I'm happy that we have Clarkson, Randle, and Russell right now.  And I would prefer that on a long term scale than IT as our starting point guard atm.   So fortunately for us it worked out in terms of the talent we obtained in the seasons after.   Again, Drafting well is the only good thing we've done as free agency for the most part has been a lotta miss and not much hit and a lot of talent we could have kept on small scale contracts we released with big fish on our mind, even if we were intending on re-signing them they moved on. 

Edited by Majesty, April 23, 2016 - 10:04 AM.

• lakerfan98 likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#16 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,996 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 23, 2016 - 10:09 AM

What I do know is that despite those mistakes I'm happy that we have Clarkson, Randle, and Russell right now.  And I would prefer that on a long term scale than IT as our starting point guard atm.   So fortunately for us it worked out in terms of the talent we obtained in the seasons after.   Again, Drafting well is the only good thing we've done as free agency for the most part has been a lotta miss and not much hit and a lot of talent we could have kept on small scale contracts we released with big fish on our mind, even if we were intending on re-signing them they moved on. 

Yes indeed.

#17 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,164 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 10:38 AM

Bazemore is going for 15M plus this offseason.  Could have had him cheaper now and with bird rights but hey...Nick Young. 

• LakerGeezer and LACAS like this

#18 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted April 23, 2016 - 11:09 AM

Yea exactly hindsight is tricky like that.  Maybe it was for the best that we let players like IT, Baze, Davis, etc. go because we were really terrible and got high draft picks as a result.  But the flip side nobody ever wants to talk about is maybe with a decent foundation of players (not just them) we could have also signed guys like Parsons and Aldridge and maybe we'd be a 40 something win playoff team with 30+ million in cap space this summer.  Sure it may have been better for the Lakers in the long run to bottom out but with the exception of this past season don't try and convince me that this has all been some master plan from the second that Dwight left because I'm not buying it.  Roster mistakes were definitely made; it's not just about the coaching.  Drafting well is the only thing the Lakers have done well in the past 2 calendar years.         

To be fair...they also haven't raised ticket prices at least

Edited by kball, April 23, 2016 - 11:09 AM.

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#19 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted April 23, 2016 - 11:12 AM

Not to mention as good as IT is, theres a personal satisfaction that Boston will be a first round out these playoffs.

Thats gotta sting. And im glad it does for them.

Houston same. Happy to see those organizations crush their fans hopes

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,652 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 23, 2016 - 11:13 AM

Again. Bazemore level players aren't foundation pieces.

Clarkson, Randle, D-Lo are. If we don't get Simmons or Ingram, that isn't really affected by the players that we could have had.

Bazemore is probably a league average player at best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users