Photo

Real Deal's NBA Mock Draft (Updated 6/22)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,274 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 20, 2016 - 11:04 PM

Lotto picks only.  This is based on how I feel teams will select, and may OR may not consider trades proposed.  Any feedback is welcome!

1) Philadelphia 76ers
Ben Simmons, F (LSU)

NBA Comparison: Grant Hill (pre-injury)
Simmons did not lead LSU into the NCAA tourney. However, the differences between him and Ingram may be what the Sixers are looking for at #1. Simmons lacks a jumpshot, but compared to his peers, he has above-average skills in almost every other aspect of the game.  When Simmons wants the ball (yes, he needs to want it far more often), he's a force to be reckoned with, holding comparisons to LeBron James as an oversized facilitator, but with less strength/athleticism and more defensive awareness.  Simmons has the overall skillset to do what Grant Hill set out to do before injuries took his career.  The Sixers' coach has stated that Simmons can run the point, so look for the Sixers to run an offense catered to his overall skillset.

2) Los Angeles Lakers
Brandon Ingram, F (Duke)
NBA Comparison: Kevin Durant

The Lakers need a scorer who can open up the floor for his teammates, and Ingram can do that on the drive or by being a threat from the outside. Like most long and skinny players, he needs work in the gym to become stronger, so the likelihood that he succeeds as an NBA power forward is slim to none, but at 6-9, he could be nearly impossible to guard at the three.  Even if the Lakers had the top pick, it's hard to imagine them selecting anyone else, as Ingram should fall into place playing in Luke Walton's offense, and alongside D'Angelo Russell and Jordan Clarkson.

3) Boston Celtics

Kris Dunn, G (Providence)

NBA Comparison: Reggie Jackson

Dunn is widely known as the best PG in this year's draft.  Boston does not necessarily need a point guard, but have had discussions about taking the best available player here OR trading the pick to one of the teams that are scattering to find a way to draft Dunn ahead of others.  Kris Dunn has all the tools to be a contributing guard for a team who would love to take in his passing attributes that compliment his scoring abilities quite well, and with him being "NBA-ready" as we speak, it only helps increase his ceiling to those teams who need a player to come in and contribute right away.

4) Phoenix Suns

Marquese Chriss, F (Washington)

NBA Comparison: Antonio McDyess

Trading Markieff Morris did sting a bit, but the Suns have an opportunity here to pick up arguably the best stretch-4 in the draft.  Dragan Bender is a good prospect, no doubt, but Chriss is a freak athlete with a higher ceiling, and given the Suns' current outlook, they have time to wait on his development.  While he does need to work on his passing ability and defensive rebounding, Chriss attacks the rim extremely well, has explosive quickness for his size, and Phoenix needs all they can get in that department.

5) Minnesota Timberwolves

Jamal Murray, G (Kentucky)

NBA Comparison: Eric Gordon

At this point, Murray will enter the NBA Draft as a combo guard who is better suited at the two, as we found with Eric Gordon, but to be able to succeed, he will need to further develop his playmaking skills and become an NBA point guard, possibly a shooting point with good passing ability.  Minnesota needs a player who can fill in those gaps at the one and two positions, and as he succeeds, he can fill a possible void if Minnesota looks to trade Ricky Rubio any time soon.  Murray and Zach LaVine would be an interesting tandem with Andrew Wiggins and Karl Anthony-Towns on the floor as well.

6) New Orleans Pelicans

Buddy Hield, G (Oklahoma)
NBA Comparison: Ben Gordon

The Pelicans have a lot of holes to fill, and with 17 different starters and uncertainty with an injury-prone Eric Gordon, they will need to draft a scoring guard.  Hield fits the mold.  He's not the player they need defensively, but Hield is a strong, dominant scorer that will give them stability at the two and much-needed help for Anthony Davis, who seems to be overworked on the offensive end of the floor.  There's word that a few teams are likely to try and trade up to snag Hield in the top five, but if not, he should land with the Pelicans at #6.

7) Denver Nuggets

Dragan Bender, F/C (Croatia)

NBA Comparison: Toni Kukoc

The Nuggets are struggling on the offensive end, and while they need to look closely at their two-guards, Bender may be the best prospect available here.  For the Nuggets, Bender may live up to the expectations they had for Danilo Gallinari, who has to heavily rely on others to get him open looks, is a poor rebounder for his size, and was actually coming off the bench for the Nuggets for a stretch of last season.  Bender is a stretch-4 that will rebound and contest shots, but also shows good court vision with the ball in his hands, something Denver could use more of in their current dysfunctional offense.

8) Sacramento Kings

Domantas Sabonis, F (Gonzaga)

NBA Comparison: Zach Randolph

This pick may be one the Kings make with a DeMarcus Cousins departure in mind, and if they lose that scoring in the frontcourt, the son of the great Arvydas Sabonis can provide them with some of that and rebounding.  Additionally, Sabonis has improved slightly on the defensive end, and is one of the hardest working big men in the NCAA, outshining Utah's Jakob Poeltl as Gonzaga upset Utah in tourney play.  Drafting Sabonis fills holes with production on both offense and defense, and while he won't have the impact of Cousins, he lessens the blow depending on who is sent over in any possible deal on the table.

9) Toronto Raptors

Skal Labissiere, C/F (Kentucky)

NBA Comparison: LaMarcus Aldridge

Toronto could use a talented big man who can get his shot off against anyone, and it wouldn't surprise many to see Labissiere taken in the lottery.  With rumors of his stock dropping, the fact remains that the "soft and shy" seven-footer has loads of potential, and most of his weaknesses come from his lack of strength and physicality.  Spending a few months in the gym will do wonders for Labissiere who, at one point, was the top-ranked player in his freshman class.  Labissiere looks to be a player who will either exceed expectations, or be labeled as a wasted pick, as his ceiling and floor are separated by the biggest gap in this draft.

10) Milwaukee Bucks

Dejounte Murray, G (Washington)

NBA Comparison: Jamal Crawford

The Bucks host a starting lineup with Greg Monroe, Jabari Parker, Michael Carter-Williams and Giannis Antetokounmpo, but are still soul-searching for a starting two guard.  Murray is a combo guard that handles the ball very well, is extremely quick, and defends the opposition with his long wingspan.  Milwaukee is in the bottom 10 of the league in offensive and defensive rating, and Murray will contribute on both ends of the floor to help turn Jason Kidd's squad into an East playoff team.

11) Orlando Magic

Ivan Rabb, F (California)

NBA Comparison: Chris Bosh

Orlando needs buckets and boards, and they'll get that from Rabb.  His quick feet and great hands will help establish a big man scoring presence, which makes the game easier for Victor Oladipo, Evan Fournier and Elfrid Payton.  Rabb's baby hook is his go-to move, but he must improve scoring against stronger players to become a productive starter in the league.

12) Atlanta Hawks

Jaylen Brown, G/F (California)

NBA Comparison: Jimmy Butler

With Jeff Teague out, and an inexperienced backcourt of Schroder and Bazemore, the Hawks might as well bring in a potential two-way star like Brown.  Much like Simmons, Brown shows that he can be a very good all-around player, but inconsistency has prevented him from being considered the best in college ball, even though he is more NBA-ready than guys like Buddy Hield or Denzel Valentine.  Brown would also make sense for the Hawks' offensive woes, considering Atlanta was among the bottom 10 scoring teams in the league this year.

13) Phoenix Suns

Jakob Poeltl, C (Utah)

NBA Comparison: Andrew Bogut

The Phoenix Suns have no reason to draft anyone other than a big man, after dealing Markieff Morris and struggling to produce buckets up front.  Known for his defense prior to the 2015-16 season, Poeltl has vastly improved his offensive game, putting on display his ability to create from the low and pinch post and scoring fluently in the paint.  Poeltl gives Phoenix what they have been asking for from past bigs, and if Chandler is around, he should be an ideal tutor for the young big back on the defensive end of the floor.

14) Chicago Bulls

Denzel Valentine, F/G (Michigan State)

NBA Comparison: Danny Green

Chicago could be having a summer sizzler, and Valentine fills a void they've had for quite some time now.  Vandy's Wade Baldwin is a possible pick for the Bulls here, but Valentine's leadership, and his ability to do nearly everything a player can do on the floor (a jack of all trades), has muddied the water for Chicago's front office.  If the Bulls want Valentine to be an impact player, they will likely need to run the second unit's offense through him, and hope that his experience carrying that load will transition him into a starting role that doesn't necessarily require so much attention as they look to construct a contender down the road.

• Game and Majesty like this

#2 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,129 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 11:54 PM

Those NBA comparisons are a bit optimistic (especially for Skal) but most of the placements seem about right. I think Bender will fall in the draft due to his contract situation similar to Saric. I expect Hield to be drafted a bit higher than #6. Poeltl could also sneak into Top 5. He is in my opinion the best all arounded big man in draft.

fXlFKv8.gif

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,274 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 12:17 AM

Yeah, I understand that.  In the mocks I write up, I sometimes feel I need to make those comparisons optimistic because, honestly, more of us (meaning basketball fans) recognize the types of players I'm using.

I mean, I guess I could say that Domantas Sabonis reminds me of Luis Scola, and Demetrius Jackson is Jonny Flynn, but then I'd really have to dig in and explain their game, lol.

You and I know Jonny Flynn, and we know Luis Scola, but they are definitely far from common names for casual fans.

• Majesty likes this

#4 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 2,176 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted March 21, 2016 - 12:30 AM

Can't see Poeltl dropping that far. I could see him going to Hornets or even Bucks. 

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#5 isk8brd

isk8brd

Rookie

• 154 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 21, 2016 - 07:42 AM

Do we need to be worried about simmons' maturity ? Has he had any issues in the past ? blake griffin 2.0 kind of...

#6 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,319 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted March 21, 2016 - 02:04 PM

glad my bulldogs shut Poeltl offensive for the most part in the tourney

ap1.png

#7 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,975 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 22, 2016 - 02:31 AM

A little bit of feedback:

Not really sure if Jaylen Brown is good at basketball, so 3rd is too high imo. That said, he’s an amazing athlete and apparently a good kid with a solid work ethic so given his age and tools, who the hell knows. Someone will likely gamble on him and with Bledsoe/Knight in their back-court it could be Phoenix. Bender is a superior talent, though.

I like that you have Skal Labissiere 8th, because people have been so happy to bash him, which haven’t been fair. The talent is clearly there and I think he should get a bit of a pass for his earlier injuries, the situation(s) he’s been in and the fact that he started playing basketball very late. The stretch-big who can protect the rim is the basketball unicorn and that is what he is going to be. In time.

Poeltl at 14 is way to low. He might have been a late lottery pick last season had he declared and his improvement this season has been amazing. An extremely active defensive 5, who can score from the post Poeltl also is ranked very high on most statistical projections. I think he’s worthy of a top 5 selection and while don’t see Minny, NO, Kings, Nuggets or Raptors picking him, I don’t think he falls below Milwaukee at #10.

#8 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 792 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 07:41 PM

Domantas Sabonis, F (Gonzaga)

son of the late Arvydas Sabonis

He's still alive breh 

#9 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,274 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 03:33 AM

He's still alive breh 

Wow...I thought he died from a heart attack a few years ago, but reading up on it, I guess he survived that.  Thanks.

• Majesty likes this

#10 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 14,694 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:10 PM

I can't see the Sixers passing on Simmons.

#11 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,244 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted April 06, 2016 - 09:00 PM

With Colangelo... they may not pass on him. They could trade Okafor... I mean Okafor, Embid, Noel and then adding Simmons would be kind of silly when they could use a wing.. then again, they have Saric coming over too

#12 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,158 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted April 15, 2016 - 08:23 PM

I can't see the Sixers passing on Simmons.

They have way too many big men. They need to change it up. They have Okafor Noel and Embiid.

#13 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,244 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 08:45 PM

They got to keep that pick forst.. I hope they fall to 4 or 5 the rat bastards

#14 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,244 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 08:56 PM

But if they do, they're better off with Ingram unless they trade Okafor or Noel

#15 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,873 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 06:12 AM

Obviously I'll be happy if we just keep the pick but I'm pretty sure I want Ingram over Simmons.

Not only do I think he may end up being the best player available in the long run, I feel he fits our team perfectly.

I also don't like the fact that if Simmons is a star that he was not able to take his team to the tournament.

#16 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 53,163 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 27, 2016 - 02:56 AM

Obviously I'll be happy if we just keep the pick but I'm pretty sure I want Ingram over Simmons.

Not only do I think he may end up being the best player available in the long run, I feel he fits our team perfectly.

I also don't like the fact that if Simmons is a star that he was not able to take his team to the tournament.

Throw Ingram on LSU and Simmons on Duke and LSU still doesn't make the tournament and Duke probably goes to the finals. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#17 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,873 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 05:19 AM

Throw Ingram on LSU and Simmons on Duke and LSU still doesn't make the tournament and Duke probably goes to the finals. 

I doubt that, and you don't know that for a fact so it's a pointless statement.

• bigvee likes this

#18 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 14,694 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted May 09, 2016 - 02:24 AM

If the Lakers retain the pick, I'd deal it for an established star and round this team out with one top flight (or considered as such) guy and second tier free agents.  I just don't think adding even more youth to this already rocky youthful team is the wisest idea.

#19 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 424 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Ingram

Posted May 24, 2016 - 11:35 AM

If the Lakers thinking of Bender at #2, I'd trade down to #3 with Boston and get their #16 in the deal

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#20 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 2,943 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted June 01, 2016 - 02:26 PM

If the Lakers thinking of Bender at #2, I'd trade down to #3 with Boston and get their #16 in the deal

Why would Boston do that if they can just take Ingram at 3 if we take Bender which I don't see us doing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users