• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#61 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,660 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 09, 2016 - 02:31 PM

I think regulars will go to a new domain fine. We will just a make a few threads to make sure people see where to go. I can try and set something up too that shows the user is a OG member and possibly what there post count was here. That way things won't change much. Might even be better to keep a smaller group of just the core members for a while so we aren't using to much bandwidth and can get the kinks out of the site without too much pain. That way we aren't paying tons on money right off the bat. Server costs can be pretty bad if you have tons of people but if we only have 300-400 posts a day with 50-75 active users on average we would be fine and probably only have to spend about $15 a month. Also I have no idea where this site is going at the moment. I wouldn't even know where to start in contacting the owners and handing over that much money to people I know nothing about seems a bit sketchy. Like Lakerace24 said we dont want to be in a spot where the website is just shut down out of no where. I thought they just shut down the website when it was down for a week. I would love for us to keep the domain name but I dont think its worth that much money. We could always look to buy it later once this site is pretty much abandoned. At that point its probably only worth a few hundred. Also not a big fan of rewarding owners who neglected this community with a ton of money.
  •     and K-Kris like this

#62 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 09, 2016 - 02:39 PM

I think regulars will go to a new domain fine. We will just a make a few threads to make sure people see where to go. I can try and set something up too that shows the user is a OG member and possibly what there post count was here. That way things won't change much. Might even be better to keep a smaller group of just the core members for a while so we aren't using to much bandwidth and can get the kinks out of the site without too much pain. That way we aren't paying tons on money right off the bat. Server costs can be pretty bad if you have tons of people but if we only have 300-400 posts a day with 50-75 active users on average we would be fine and probably only have to spend about $15 a month.Also I have no idea where this site is going at the moment. I wouldn't even know where to start in contacting the owners and handing over that much money to people I know nothing about seems a bit sketchy. Like Lakerace24 said we dont want to be in a spot where the website is just shut down out of no where. I thought they just shut down the website when it was down for a week. I would love for us to keep the domain name but I dont think its worth that much money. We could always look to buy it later once this site is pretty much abandoned. At that point its probably only worth a few hundred. Also not a big fan of rewarding owners who neglected this community with a ton of money.

True.

Well we have two obstacles in our way right now:

Time.

Contacting the owners of this site.

Maybe start building the site now but don't make it live just yet?

I can also pay/help with any upstart fees or costs.

Save my email, zizojackson@gmail.com just in case anything happens to this site.

#63 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 02:41 PM

lildvl10, no word from Real Deal?

#64 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 03:42 PM

As much as I appreciate the ambitious folks here, and where they are coming from, let's wait for a while. At least until we get a word from Real Deal. Some people tried to contact him on twitter, and facebook. It shouldn't take long until he takes notice. I'm trying to be positive here and.think we are not completely abandoned yet. I have had these same issues with other forums before with much larger traffic, and after the down time everything was back to normal again. We have a tight community here, and I don't think we can duplicate that anywhere else. Think for a minute that Lakers changed their name and moved to somewhere else. Would it be same? Would people still watch them lile before? Chances are slim. From what I can tell, we have a lot of knowledgeable people here, and once Real Deal comes back he should promote a couple of them to Admin role so that we can monitor our community better. If money is still an issue, we can solve it by fundraising.
  • JEN and K-Kris like this

fXlFKv8.gif

#65 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,137 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 09, 2016 - 03:44 PM

For now does anyone just want to post a Google doc or something up where we can all communicate just in case? I'm at work right now so I could do it later if needed. After its created just spam the most popular threads with it so we know all the active users will see it and have it saved just in case.

#66 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 03:50 PM

As much as I appreciate the ambitious folks here, and where they are coming from, let's wait for a while. At least until we get a word from Real Deal. Some people tried to contact him on twitter, and facebook. It shouldn't take long until he takes notice. I'm trying to be positive here and.think we are not completely abandoned yet. I have had these same issues with other forums before with much larger traffic, and after the down time everything was back to normal again. We have a tight community here, and I don't think we can duplicate that anywhere else. Think for a minute that Lakers changed their name and moved to somewhere else. Would it be same? Would people still watch them lile before? Chances are slim. From what I can tell, we have a lot of knowledgeable people here, and once Real Deal comes back he should promote a couple of them to Admin role so that we can monitor our community better. If money is still an issue, we can solve it by fundraising.

You're 100% right, and that's what we're going to do. We're going to give them time.

But Bigfetz is working on a fall back safe net just in case this site goes down. Wouldn't hurt to be safe.

#67 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,194 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 04:12 PM

The thing is, the forum on tapatalk works fine now. It didn't work for me 2-3 days ago when I last checked. We can still post on the threads, and join the discussions. The error we are getting in PC version is also sometimes not there, eventhough for individiual threads it is back at it again. Not sure what exactly is the problem, but it shows we are not dealing with a persistent issue.

Life happens. Even if this website was your own son, sometimes you just can't tend to him. Real Deal is as much of a passionate fan as we are, and he will come back soon and deal with this. From there, we roll with the best plan.

fXlFKv8.gif

#68 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 04:49 PM

The thing is, the forum on tapatalk works fine now. It didn't work for me 2-3 days ago when I last checked. We can still post on the threads, and join the discussions. The error we are getting in PC version is also sometimes not there, eventhough for individiual threads it is back at it again. Not sure what exactly is the problem, but it shows we are not dealing with a persistent issue.

Life happens. Even if this website was your own son, sometimes you just can't tend to him. Real Deal is as much of a passionate fan as we are, and he will come back soon and deal with this. From there, we roll with the best plan.

It's not hard to just click on a link and open up the forums to see what is going on. I don't know what is it with the admins. I understand they're busy... but to be busy for all this time, collectively?

And the only mods active are Game and Fido, whom are helpless? What happened to the other mods?

The thing is that this a case of neglect.

This HTML strip bug is an easy fix. The fact this has continued for 2 weeks is embarrassing.

If the admins need money they should just ask for help.

If the admins don't have time, then they should appoint admins who do have time. And even if they don;t have time they should at least be accessible!

I'm not singling anyone out. It's just we users take these forums seriously and we wish the owners did too. And this is not a shot at Real deal or LAKER. I know they probably can't do nothing as well.

#69 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,137 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted March 09, 2016 - 05:17 PM

Mobile looked normal for me earlier but now it's messed up again. Website might be crashing soon...

• 43,794 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Anyone know roughly how much it costs to keep this site going per month and how much revenue it brings in per month if at all?

yo.

#71 Byron

Byron

Rookie

• 65 posts
  • Name:XBOBOX
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 09, 2016 - 07:49 PM

Anyone know roughly how much it costs to keep this site going per month and how much revenue it brings in per month if at all?

I'm interested to know this as well. I don't post much but I've been lurking for years. I'd hate to see this place shut down.

#72 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,557 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 09, 2016 - 07:59 PM

I know when they enabled ads some time ago they said it was only there to keep the site running. That's really ambiguous on how much it really costs though.

We've also gotta take into consideration that costs also probably include the front site, rather than only just the forums.

I love the way this site has been run for years though now, even though the main guys aren't really active, they've kept it together for us. We're still able to post and read for now, so maybe that's a sign that they aren't ready to let go just yet.

#73 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 728 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:40 PM

Does lakernation have Facebook ? That would be great to keep us updated if the site were to go down

#74 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,660 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 09, 2016 - 10:09 PM

Does lakernation have Facebook ? That would be great to keep us updated if the site were to go down

They do but is hasn't been updated in a long time. Same with the twitter.

#75 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,902 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 10:34 PM

I agree with this, the chances of people migrating to another site and actually staying is very slim

b3vgxe.jpg

#76 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,447 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted March 10, 2016 - 06:09 AM

I use Tapatalk more than anything and it works fine. Kind of crazy how this is happening though

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#77 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,761 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 07:56 AM

Disappointed to see this still hasn't been resolved yet - or at least some information about the problem provided. I agree on the fail-safe plan. If this website was to suddenly shut down, we'd have no way to communicate with each other.

#78 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,702 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted March 10, 2016 - 09:25 AM

those who are interested, a few people have an e-mail list going to keep in touch should the site go down, just add your e-mail to this thread and they'll pick it.

Posted Image

#79 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,128 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 02:19 PM

Good news: Real Deal visited this forum today. Hopefully he will provide us with insight on what is happening and what we can expect.

#80 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,589 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted March 10, 2016 - 02:38 PM

Didn't even say anything. If he can't manage the site anymore can he at least assign a co admin or something

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users