93 replies to this topic

#21 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:54 AM

lol we can't even gauge our players properly because Byron isn't playing them to their strength.  

He kept a worst back court duo as a pairing for starting gig, and they have been entertaining for the opponents.

what team has a better record but worse roster. less defensive talent

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#22 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,693 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:56 AM

What hell is kobe talking about. The dude basically has parades after certain games with his farwell stuff after 15+ point losses. The young guys seem to be taking this the hardest. They all look beat down. 

#23 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,537 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:57 AM

They also don't dickheads for coaches either.  

i guess byron is the new bobby knight of this soft generation of coddling fans

went from a 'bust' who was the wrong pick to a political prisoner in a primitive system

He's 19....he needs this

#24 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,537 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:59 AM

lol we can't even gauge our players properly because Byron isn't playing them to their strength.  

He kept a worst back court duo as a pairing for starting gig, and they have been entertaining for the opponents.

yes we can.   we have no defenders.

other guys with less talent are more experienced.

#25 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:02 PM

i guess byron is the new bobby knight of this soft generation of coddling fans

went from a 'bust' who was the wrong pick to a political prisoner in a primitive system

He's 19....he needs this

I had the coach that act like Byron, the result was 10 year loosing streak to cross town rival, and that coach pissed off a lot of talented kids, funny thing, we won when he left, and we had lesser talent than all his years here. 

nobody need a flip flop coach w/o a plan, not you are 9, 19, 29, 39... 99.  That is just bad coaching.  

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#26 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:03 PM

lol you need to talk to the wall, this isn't a debate anymore, your own logic is failing you.

#27 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,537 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:07 PM

kobe

#28 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:12 PM

Your logic:  Byron is playing the vets because we are trying to win. Vets are more experienced ....

reality-> Lakers are not winning, we are looking at the worst record in Lakers history

conclusion: if we are not winning anyways why don't we play our rooks more, so they can develop their games?

Your logic: Byron isn't playing our rooks to protect them.

reality -> repeatedly toss them under the bus, play w/ no heart, yanked for trying to take the game over, yanked for playing his own strength --> PnR, yank for x amount of reason.  And when asked what is the issue?  answer from Byron is: "i don't know, haven't talk to them about it.  They just have to man up."  That is not protecting the rooks, that's called player killing, it is some coaches do to players who is out of control, so you kill their confidence enough to control them.  

Conclusion, Byron isn't protecting our rooks. 

Edited by lonlyamongus, February 02, 2016 - 12:13 PM.

• Rad likes this

#29 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,158 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:23 PM

The reason he isn't playing the rooks is because he has to try to win. His job depends on it. He realizes that he will struggle to ever find another coaching job if he doesn't turn this around. He has to show management that he can get some wins to try to have a shot at keeping his job.

It's easy for us to yell TANK!!! and to say "just play the rooks" because our entire careers aren't on the line.

If you had a business that you were close to losing would you delegate important tasks to your most experienced employees or would you try your hardest to train the inexperienced ones when you might not have your business next year?

You guys want Byron to do something that would pretty much seal his fate of never coaching again

At the beginning of the season, I agree, he should have played the rooks as much as possible. But at this point, playing the rooks 35 mins a game won't benefit him in any way.

Edited by kidpolean, February 02, 2016 - 12:27 PM.

• Tensai likes this

#30 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:34 PM

The reason he isn't playing the rooks is because he has to try to win. His job depends on it. He realizes that he will struggle to ever find another coaching job if he doesn't turn this around. He has to show management that he can get some wins to try to have a shot at keeping his job.

It's easy for us to yell TANK!!! and to say "just play the rooks" because our entire careers aren't on the line.

If you had a business that you were close to losing would you delegate important tasks to your most experienced employees or would you try your hardest to train the inexperienced ones when you might not have your business next year?

You guys want Byron to do something that would pretty much seal his fate of never coaching again

At the beginning of the season, I agree, he should have played the rooks as much as possible. But at this point, playing the rooks 35 mins a game won't benefit him in any way.

if he plays the rook more right it actually helps his career.  He can still be branded as a development coach.  But by him not playing the rooks and still get the worst record of Lakers history is going to get him never hired again.  That shows you how stupid of a coach he is, rookie development is a very important part of a team in the bottom of the pit, they are all assets like stock.  Coach can turn rooks from a piece of paper to gold with a few years of developing. or they can become hot trash no one wants.  Good coach does the former and the bad coach does the latter.  Right now Byron is the best examples of the latter.  

#31 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,063 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:38 PM

:smh:
ha.stupid...."logic"

Instead of using emojis tell me why you disagree.

#32 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,158 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:39 PM

if he plays the rook more right it actually helps his career. He can still be branded as a development coach. But by him not playing the rooks and still get the worst record of Lakers history is going to get him never hired again. That shows you how stupid of a coach he is, rookie development is a very important part of a team in the bottom of the pit, they are all assets like stock. Coach can turn rooks from a piece of paper to gold with a few years of developing. or they can become hot trash no one wants. Good coach does the former and the bad coach does the latter. Right now Byron is the best examples of the latter.

it is way too late for that and you know it. He could play Russell 35 mins and Russell could put up 20 5 5 and people would simply say "well he ruined the season because Russell could have been doing that from game one." The young guys have developed nicely imo yet Byron still gets no love for that because of our record and their lack of minutes.

At this point, the only thing that could save him is a winning streak. Handing the team to Russell is career suicide at this point because every mistake Russell makes will be put on Byron's lack of player development skills.

Edited by kidpolean, February 02, 2016 - 12:40 PM.

• Tensai likes this

#33 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,774 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:40 PM

The beginning of the season is when you develop the rookies gradually and get them acclimated to the NBA. You field the best team out there (veterans or not depending on talent level) to try to win. 

We've lost more games in a row (10) than we have wins total (9). Clearly playing the veterans more is not resulting in wins. You have a much higher chance of winning with the core group playing larger minutes. 

Outside of wins or losses, now is the time when losing teams resort to developing the young players (if they hadn't already). I'm waiting until after the All-Star break to see if that occurs. 

• Lakerace24 likes this

#34 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,158 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:44 PM

The beginning of the season is when you develop the rookies gradually and get them acclimated to the NBA. You field the best team out there (veterans or not depending on talent level) to try to win. 

We've lost more games in a row (10) than we have wins total (9). Clearly playing the veterans more is not resulting in wins. You have a much higher chance of winning with the core group playing larger minutes. 

Outside of wins or losses, now is the time when losing teams resort to developing the young players (if they hadn't already). I'm waiting until after the All-Star break to see if that occurs. 

It won't and I've explained why

His job is gone, he doesn't care about developing these guys for the next coach. He has to try to win games. Russell and Randle aren't gonna win us games.

#35 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,063 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:44 PM

If what I was doing in that business wasn't working then I think I would need to change sometjing. What your saying doesn't make since. Him playing the vets more because he is trying to win has led him to a 9-41 record. So don't you think he should try something new.

#36 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,063 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:45 PM

His job is gone, he doesn't care about developing these guys for the next coach. He has to try to win games. Russell and Randle aren't gonna win us games.

Neither are Bass or Lou so wouldn't you rather play the younger players since it's inevitable that both combination of player aren't going to give you many wins?

#37 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:46 PM

I haven't seen any good indication of them developing.

they still struggle on defense - not able to funnel correctly or don't switch at the right time. yes/no?  

They still run mostly ISO offense. yes/no?

They still are lost on offense that Russell can even average 4 assist a game. yes/no?

only thing they did improve is what we call getting used to the competition, so they don't get blow by as much, and their ISO plays improved enough that they can pick on journeymen in the league.  Rooks are getting used to speed and pace of NBA, that's all, so they don't look horribly out of their league.  The rooks are staying alive with the NBA pace that is all, and it is nothing to be proud of, because if you can't, you don't belong in the NBA.

it is way too late for that and you know it. He could play Russell 35 mins and Russell could put up 20 5 5 and people would simply say "well he ruined the season because Russell could have been doing that from game one." The young guys have developed nicely imo yet Byron still gets no love for that because of our record and their lack of minutes.

At this point, the only thing that could save him is a winning streak.

#38 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,158 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:48 PM

If what I was doing in that business wasn't working then I think I would need to change sometjing. What your saying doesn't make since. Him playing the vets more because he is trying to win has led him to a 9-41 record. So don't you think he should try something new.

trying something that you know is the lesser of the two options just for the hell of it is insane. You stick with the option that gives you the best chance of surviving.

Chemo will kill you. But the chances of surviving cancer are much higher if you do chemo. By your logic if chemo isn't working, you're going to try just living with cancer and praying it goes away. That's insane. You don't go with a lesser option simply because the better one hasn't worked yet.

#39 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,158 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:50 PM

I haven't seen any good indication of them developing.

they still struggle on defense - not able to funnel correctly or don't switch at the right time. yes/no?  

They still run mostly ISO offense. yes/no?

They still are lost on offense that Russell can even average 4 assist a game. yes/no?

only thing they did improve is what we call getting used to the competition, so they don't get blow by as much, and their ISO plays improved enough that they can pick on journeymen in the league.  Rooks are getting used to speed and pace of NBA, that's all, so they don't look horribly out of their league.  The rooks are staying alive with the NBA pace that is all, and it is nothing to be proud of, because if you can't, you don't belong in the NBA.

so you haven't seen Randle's shot improve? You haven't seen Randle pass the ball more? You didn't watch Russell play like complete garbage at the beginning of the season with absolutely no confidence? You haven't seen any of Nance's huge improvements?

#40 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,774 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:52 PM

Some of our most competitive games have been those in which the core group played (think: Kings, Minny, Mavs). 

Your reasoning of not playing Russell because every mistake will be magnified on Byron for failing to develop him makes Byron seem far too sensitive. Not a fan of Byron's schemes, but I highly doubt he's that sensitive.

Veterans can help you win depending on the talent level. We do not have high-level veteran players. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kobe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users