93 replies to this topic

#1 I still miss OTR

I still miss OTR

└ABenchOnA?UEST

• 170 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Devean George

Posted February 02, 2016 - 02:54 AM

kobe-bryant.jpg

Young players on bad teams generally don’t let losing ruin their day. You’ll often times see them smiling and joking on the bench while their team is getting handled.

Kobe Bryant recently noticed this as the Lakers were getting worked by the Blazers the other night, and the two youngsters in question were Julius Randle and D’Angelo Russell: the team’s two cornerstone players. Apparently, Kobe confronted them and called them out by name afterward.

"Bryant, who posted 10 points on 5-of-9 shooting and five turnovers in 25 minutes through three quarters, became upset both with the Lakers (9-37) for losing their sixth consecutive game and for some on the team smiling after the loss, sources said. Bryant took particular aim at Lakers rookie point guard D’Angelo Russell and second-year forward Julius Randle and even called them out by name, sources said."

Source: http://thehoopdoctor...ng-recent-loss/

"Heroes come and go, but Legends live forever..."

hz9dnEm.png

facebook.com/BenchOnAQuest

#2 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,573 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted February 02, 2016 - 06:28 AM

He only has to do this because the coaching staff is so irrelevant and they won't do it themselves.
  • M.X.M., JGuez, K-Kris and 1 other like this

#3 LAkerFan85

LAkerFan85

Rookie

• 237 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:18 AM

No offense but I think Kobe is being a bit hypocritical here. It's become a circus sideshow with his retirement "tour". The young guys are probably fed up with being criticized when you have two old timers telling them one thing and doing another.
  • UKUGA, bigfetz, Jody Smokes and 2 others like this

#4 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,540 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:21 AM

No excuses for the kids.

Even Kobe sees they need more discipline. Only fans making excuses

#5 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,207 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted February 02, 2016 - 08:54 AM

No offense but I think Kobe is being a bit hypocritical here. It's become a circus sideshow with his retirement "tour". The young guys are probably fed up with being criticized when you have two old timers telling them one thing and doing another.

Kobe wasn't smiling while losing at that age. He has 5 rings. He doesn't have to act the same as a 19 or 20 year old
  • Ventiquattro likes this

#6 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,069 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted February 02, 2016 - 09:53 AM

I agree. I'm over this whole Kobe farewell tour and him picking and choosing the games he plays. He smiles during losses so lead by example in the few games you play. I'm not saying he is right or wrong but he should preach what he teach.

Edited by erfolk, February 02, 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#7 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,069 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted February 02, 2016 - 10:00 AM

Kobe wasn't smiling while losing at that age. He has 5 rings. He doesn't have to act the same as a 19 or 20 year old

But he is smiling now in the same games the youngsters are smiling in. That is hypocritical. Now I agree they shouldn't be but this season is a throw away and has been made the Kobe farewell tour instead of developing the youngsters.

Edited by erfolk, February 02, 2016 - 10:00 AM.

• LAkerFan85 likes this

#8 LAkerFan85

LAkerFan85

Rookie

• 237 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 02, 2016 - 10:01 AM

No he wasn't, but he is now and that's what the kids are seeing.

I agree. I'm over this whole Kobe farewell tour and him picking and choosing the games he plays. He smiles during losses so lead by example in the few games you play. I'm not saying he is right or wrong but he should preach what he teach.

Amen to this. Either lead by example or you have no right to say anything.

#9 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

dwight got traded for the ends of the white🍞& an 🍊

• 8,741 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Blimey!

Posted February 02, 2016 - 10:39 AM

They rich. I'd smile too!

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#10 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,540 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:03 AM

:smh: 

No he wasn't, but he is now and that's what the kids are seeing.

Amen to this. Either lead by example or you have no right to say anything.

ha.stupid...."logic"

#11 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:05 AM

Kobe was never on a lottery team at that age where vets were not held accountable for terrible play either.  People forget these guys are 19 and 20.  Try being that young at a job and seeing 30 year olds [expletive]ing off and not getting reprimanded for it.  We don't know how Kobe would have handled a toxic environment that the Lakers have today.  Hell him and Shaq could barely handle winning together without drama...

• KSOR24, kball and lonlyamongus like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#12 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,207 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:15 AM

Kobe was never on a lottery team at that age where vets were not held accountable for terrible play either. People forget these guys are 19 and 20. Try being that young at a job and seeing 30 year olds [expletive]ing off and not getting reprimanded for it. We don't know how Kobe would have handled a toxic environment that the Lakers have today. Hell him and Shaq could barely handle winning together without drama...

that's not Kobe's fault nor is it his problem. There are people that got to war at 17 years old. At 18, 19, or 20 you are a grown man and should be able to understand how Kobe is different from you. Stop babying this grown men.

They need to man the hell up and be held accountable for their own actions. Every thing that happens with these youngsters gets blamed on somebody else and it's ridiculous.

LeBron carried a trash team while he was a similar age. I don't recall him smiling while losing.

These guys have been playing basketball for a long time. They should know how to act by now

I was 17 in the army and everybody that was 30 was a much higher rank and did whatever the hell they wanted too while I was held to a completely different standard. I see the same things in my current career. That's life.

Edited by kidpolean, February 02, 2016 - 11:22 AM.

• BasketballIQ likes this

#13 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:28 AM

that's not Kobe's fault nor is it his problem. There are people that got to war at 17 years old. At 18, 19, or 20 you are a grown man and should be able to understand how Kobe is different from you. Stop babying this grown men.

They need to man the hell up and be held accountable for their own actions. Every thing that happens with these youngsters gets blamed on somebody else and it's ridiculous.

LeBron carried a trash team while he was a similar age. I don't recall him smiling while losing.

These guys have been playing basketball for a long time. They should know how to act by now

I was 17 in the army and everybody that was 30 was a much higher rank and did whatever the hell they wanted too while I was held to a completely different standard. I see the same things in my current career. That's life.

Yah, the modern day kids do have a different mind set, Kobe is one of the most competitive player up to now.  He is just enjoying his road to retirement after 5 rings, he has the right to smile.  The kids needs to walk that full mile before they have the right to do anything. I remember when i was in high school and we had a 10 year losing streak to the crosstown rival before my junior year.  Hated every single game we lost.

I agree with both you and Jodi.

the kids do need to grow up.  But there are people like Kobe who is ultra competitive and there is the generation X who needs to be taught how to compete w/ heart.   Kobe had more passion in his generation.  the Kids now days see it as a job, more or less like drew saw the game.(maybe not that extreme, but it is definitely closer to that part of the spectrum.)  

Edited by lonlyamongus, February 02, 2016 - 11:38 AM.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#14 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,540 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:41 AM

Yah, the modern day kids do have a different mind set, Kobe is one of the most competitive player up to now.  He is just enjoying his road to retirement after 5 rings, he has the right to smile.  The kids needs to walk that full mile before they have the right to do anything. I remember when i was in high school and we had a 10 year losing streak to the crosstown rival before my junior year.  Hated every single game we lost.

Towns seems focused

and no one is calling Porzingis borderline cocky.

But overall we have great kids... 

#15 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:42 AM

They also don't dickheads for coaches either.  

Towns seems focused

Towns seems focused

• lonlyamongus likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#16 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:43 AM

I don't think anyone especially me is saying these dudes need to be coddled but the coaching staff isn't even putting forth a functional gameplan and the only explanation after is that guys are soft and dont play hard lol.  First DLo is cocky now the locker room has 0 confidence.  Lol ok.  

• Rad, K-Kris, KSOR24 and 1 other like this

#17 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:47 AM

There is an old saying in Chinese, if a soldier fail, you have one failure, but if the general fail you have an army of fails.  

Obviously Scott is that failing general.

I don't think anyone especially me is saying these dudes need to be coddled but the coaching staff isn't even putting forth a functional gameplan and the only explanation after is that guys are soft and dont play hard lol.  First DLo is cocky now the locker room has 0 confidence.  Lol ok.  

Edited by lonlyamongus, February 02, 2016 - 11:47 AM.

• Rad likes this

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,540 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:48 AM

you don't even believe this

a couple quotes are indicative of a relationship with an entire staff?

nonsensical

#19 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,540 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:50 AM

what team has a better record but worse roster. less defensive talent

#20 Julien

Julien

Off The Bench