Sixth Man

• 2,850 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 29, 2017 - 12:35 PM

movie was so bad

really disappointed

too much comedy

and what the [expletive] princess leia just flying like superman in the galaxy?

disney is raping star wars

I have no love for Disney, but Disney isn't the real culprit here, it's Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm. They actually started this trilogy with no idea where they were going to go with it. They got a script from Lucas and basically threw it away, and said "we're doing our own thing". Then they filmed a rehash of A New Hope. The Last Jedi was supposed to be the point where they differentiated themselves...and they did do that....but in almost the worst possible way imaginable. 

• manaro90 likes this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#42 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 2,850 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 12:44 PM

Force Awakens played it safe.  Some ppl liked that and others didn't.  Last Jedi took more risks.  Some ppl liked that and others didn't lol.

I liked both.  After suffering through episodes 1-3 you'll never hear me complain about Disney haha.  

You could say they "took risks"...just to take risks. Just like they forced humor....just for the sake of throwing in some awkward canned laughs. It's like playing basketball....you practice hard and show up to play thinking your hard work entitles you to a win. But to win, you actually have to play hard and earn it. You can take some risks....but taking risks sometimes leads to really bad things. In this case, some of the "risks" undermined both the protagonists and the antagonists alike. 

TLJ has all superficial aspects of a Star Wars movie...music, effects, cute aliens, action, one-liners etc. But it's all cobbled together to make a truly crummy movie with no lasting appeal.

pkray.png

#43 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,769 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 01, 2018 - 08:44 PM

Just watched the movie and i'm kinda torn.

One one hand i think the movie was awesome.

On the other hand i think they simply discarded much of the suspense created in The Force Awakens, such as Snoke, Rey's parentage etc.

It's insane that they bring in a guy like Rian Johnson to do the writing and direction of the movie and allow him to discard some key plot points from the Force Awakens.

#44 kobedoinwork

kobedoinwork

Rookie

• 873 posts
  • Name:Matthew
  • Fan Since:Born

Posted January 02, 2018 - 01:11 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but weren't we suppose to find out who snoke was in this movie or am i confused.

#45 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,301 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 02, 2018 - 07:36 AM

I have no love for Disney, but Disney isn't the real culprit here, it's Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm. They actually started this trilogy with no idea where they were going to go with it. They got a script from Lucas and basically threw it away, and said "we're doing our own thing". Then they filmed a rehash of A New Hope. The Last Jedi was supposed to be the point where they differentiated themselves...and they did do that....but in almost the worst possible way imaginable. 

100 percent true!

• kray28 likes this

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#46 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 2,850 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 01:19 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but weren't we suppose to find out who snoke was in this movie or am i confused.

They were supposed to do a lot of things...but almost everything in the film is like a troll by Rian Johnson against audience expectation:

1. You wanted to know who Rey's parents were? Haha - eff you, they were nobody.

2. You wanted to know who Snoke was or his backstory? - eff you, it doesn't even matter he's dead!

3. You thought Luke was going just teach Rey to be a Jedi? - Haha - eff you, he wants nothing to do with the Jedi.

4. You thought Leia was probably going to die in this one?  - Haha - eff you, meet Leia Poppins!

5. You thought Finn was finally do something meaningful and sacrifice himself for the Resistance? - Haha, eff you and the Resistance, Asian chick is in love, yo!

6. You thought Admiral Purple Hair was a coward and Poe was in the right to mutiny? Haha - eff you, Macho man Poe got cut down to size and Purple Hair weaponized hyperspace and pulled off the Holdo Maneuver.

7. You thought Snoke was the overpowered uber-Boss who weren't supposed to meet until the very end? Haha - eff you, Cut in half, and all it took was a little thought from Emo Ren.

8. Captain Phasma (got her own comic book), female Stormtrooper badass with bullet prooof armor? Haha - dead in five minutes after fighting Finn.

pkray.png

#47 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,467 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 04, 2018 - 10:01 AM

https://m.youtube.co...e&v=wVy6mbSbbiA

ap1.png

#48 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,078 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 05, 2018 - 05:10 PM

Great movie, loved it!  Beautiful theme of family and how to move froward in life while remembering your past, for better or worse and how it shapes who we are.

You don't need a back story for everything.  In fact, I think the need for character to have a fleshed out back story for every little character is ridiculous.  In the original trilogy not every character has a giant back story and there was no problem.  In fact, it made their characters even more popular (i.e. - Boba Fett).  Nowadays, people don't want to imagine, they don't want to have open ends.  They need everything tied in a neat bow when in actuality life and classic storytelling isn't that way.

Snoke was there as a tool to make Kylo Ren become the big baddie he was meant to be.  His origin doesn't matter at all.  And Rey's parentage was handled perfectly.  Not everything has to be some glorified history or connected.  I love just making her the daughter of plain people, so she can learn to stand on her own without having to live up to or live down the history of her family.  Great lesson in self-reliance.

Every complaint I've heard so far sounds more like people trying to find something to hate.  I love the direction Johnson has taken this, and furthermore I love him defying expectations.  Everyone complained about The Force Awakens being to like A new Hope.  Now they complain that this movie isn't enough like the original trilogy movies (which I can argue that it's quite similar in almost every way actually).  People just need something to complain about.

I always say you can't satiate the unreasonably insatiable.

The Last Jedi was brilliant.

• Game, artemis and lakerfan98 like this

#49 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 882 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5

Posted January 10, 2018 - 09:49 PM

Great movie, loved it! Beautiful theme of family and how to move froward in life while remembering your past, for better or worse and how it shapes who we are.

You don't need a back story for everything. In fact, I think the need for character to have a fleshed out back story for every little character is ridiculous. In the original trilogy not every character has a giant back story and there was no problem. In fact, it made their characters even more popular (i.e. - Boba Fett). Nowadays, people don't want to imagine, they don't want to have open ends. They need everything tied in a neat bow when in actuality life and classic storytelling isn't that way.

Snoke was there as a tool to make Kylo Ren become the big baddie he was meant to be. His origin doesn't matter at all. And Rey's parentage was handled perfectly. Not everything has to be some glorified history or connected. I love just making her the daughter of plain people, so she can learn to stand on her own without having to live up to or live down the history of her family. Great lesson in self-reliance.

Every complaint I've heard so far sounds more like people trying to find something to hate. I love the direction Johnson has taken this, and furthermore I love him defying expectations. Everyone complained about The Force Awakens being to like A new Hope. Now they complain that this movie isn't enough like the original trilogy movies (which I can argue that it's quite similar in almost every way actually). People just need something to complain about.

this
  • Game likes this

#50 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,769 posts

Posted January 11, 2018 - 02:30 AM

For casual Star Wars fans – or just just people who has watched the movies - i think The Last Jedi was fine.

But if you’re a die-hard fan i think it was a bit of a slap in the face.

With The Force Awakens i think JJ Abrams managed to make a truly fantastic move that was much more in line with – and loyal to - the original (old) movies. Abrams set up a new storyline with Rey, Snoke and Luke, but Rian Johnson went in a different direction.

#51 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 882 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5

Posted January 11, 2018 - 02:46 AM

#52 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,884 posts

Posted January 11, 2018 - 11:32 PM

For casual Star Wars fans – or just just people who has watched the movies - i think The Last Jedi was fine.

But if you’re a die-hard fan i think it was a bit of a slap in the face.

With The Force Awakens i think JJ Abrams managed to make a truly fantastic move that was much more in line with – and loyal to - the original (old) movies. Abrams set up a new storyline with Rey, Snoke and Luke, but Rian Johnson went in a different direction.

Rian continued luke and Rey. He didn’t cut their stories. First of all the force awakens makes it VERY clear Rey is no one

Maz says to Rey “you’re story lies in front of you not behind” that she’s waiting for people that’ll never come back. I think people didn’t get the answer they wanted but it’s the answer they set up

Luke had the story they set up. They set up that luke failed with Kylo and Kylo killed all of his students. Why wouldn’t luke go into exile? Kenobi and yoda both did. If anything luke on the island was about as Star Wars as it gets. And then luke shows himself to be the most powerful jedi ever by projecting his spirit across the galaxy to save the rebels. That was about as perfect growth for Luke’s character as you can have.

And snoke was never meant to be the big bad guy. Jj Abrams himself said he wanted to direct the rian Johnson once he read the script. Kylo was always meant to be the main bad guy
  • Game, artemis and lakerfan98 like this
Posted Image

#53 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,790 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 12, 2018 - 09:08 AM

good to see some others that enjoyed it.  

• fido likes this

Posted Image

#54 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,444 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted January 13, 2018 - 10:30 AM

i agree that the people most disappointed with the movie are probably super fans that spent hours trying to dissect everything about TFA and were upset when TLJ went in a different direction. 

Side note:  Kinda surprising to see people still holding a candle for George Lucas.      

#55 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 2,850 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 05:04 PM

Great movie, loved it!  Beautiful theme of family and how to move froward in life while remembering your past, for better or worse and how it shapes who we are.

You don't need a back story for everything.  In fact, I think the need for character to have a fleshed out back story for every little character is ridiculous.  In the original trilogy not every character has a giant back story and there was no problem.  In fact, it made their characters even more popular (i.e. - Boba Fett).  Nowadays, people don't want to imagine, they don't want to have open ends.  They need everything tied in a neat bow when in actuality life and classic storytelling isn't that way.

Snoke was there as a tool to make Kylo Ren become the big baddie he was meant to be.  His origin doesn't matter at all.  And Rey's parentage was handled perfectly.  Not everything has to be some glorified history or connected.  I love just making her the daughter of plain people, so she can learn to stand on her own without having to live up to or live down the history of her family.  Great lesson in self-reliance.

Every complaint I've heard so far sounds more like people trying to find something to hate.  I love the direction Johnson has taken this, and furthermore I love him defying expectations.  Everyone complained about The Force Awakens being to like A new Hope.  Now they complain that this movie isn't enough like the original trilogy movies (which I can argue that it's quite similar in almost every way actually).  People just need something to complain about.

I respect your opinion, but you couldn't be more wrong. Agree to disagree?

pkray.png

#56 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,078 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 14, 2018 - 06:11 PM

That's fine.  Explain where and why I'm wrong.

Different opinions are cool with me, I just have yet to hear an argument against the movie that makes sense.

• artemis likes this

#57 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,769 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 10:44 PM

Rian continued luke and Rey. He didn’t cut their stories. First of all the force awakens makes it VERY clear Rey is no one

Maz says to Rey “you’re story lies in front of you not behind” that she’s waiting for people that’ll never come back. I think people didn’t get the answer they wanted but it’s the answer they set up

Luke had the story they set up. They set up that luke failed with Kylo and Kylo killed all of his students. Why wouldn’t luke go into exile? Kenobi and yoda both did. If anything luke on the island was about as Star Wars as it gets. And then luke shows himself to be the most powerful jedi ever by projecting his spirit across the galaxy to save the rebels. That was about as perfect growth for Luke’s character as you can have.

And snoke was never meant to be the big bad guy. Jj Abrams himself said he wanted to direct the rian Johnson once he read the script. Kylo was always meant to be the main bad guy

Continued Luke and Rey? He literally killed Luke and the character he was. The Force Awakens didn't make it clear that Rey is no one. That's ridiculous. And how the hell does Rey become a strong Jedi after a weekend trip to visit Luke.

Read this review on IMDB, which sums it up pretty well:

"Disney strikes back:

Congrats for killing another franchise. The movie was horribly edited, half of the things happening on screen are literally pointless and theres NO character development whatsoever. Rey becomes a jedi after a 15 min meditation session with Luke, Kylo kills Snoke (wich was supposed to be stronger than vader and sidious) and this somehow doesnt change anything AT ALL. But hey, the 2.5h of screentime are filled with poe doing poe things, finn and a forgettable chinese partner going to the forgettable space-las vegas and doing pointless things that have nothing to do with the plot except giving benicio del toro some money, and leia somehow flying in space. Oh also dont expect explanations for the multple questions you may have had after seeing TFA. 13/12/2017 is the day Star Wars died, good job mickey mouse."

#58 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,467 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 15, 2018 - 05:18 PM

It didn’t feel like a Star Wars film. Felt like a a less inventive mad max road of fury in space. Poe has turned into an irrelevant character. Rey is dull and boring. Luke the son of the most menacing force of possibly the entire universe goes out is such a weak way and way to early in the triology. Floating in space with that cgi was a terrible decision. Kyle has not grown at all and is practically the same character arc as Hayden. Del toro was just sad. The character was not well thought out. Like a poor mans Han Solo. It was way too long and had too many forces campy jokes.

ap1.png

#59 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 2,850 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:54 PM

That's fine.  Explain where and why I'm wrong.

Different opinions are cool with me, I just have yet to hear an argument against the movie that makes sense.

Post #46 pretty much lays out the basis for why you're wrong. Rian Johnson had some tasks to complete when he made this film. He either didn't do them, or did them in some of the most insipid ways imaginable.

In the process, he killed off one of the great pop culture icons of our generation in one of the most idiotic and anti-climactic of ways. 

Not everything needs a backstory? Erm....The way that Star Wars has evolved as a universe....it is actually very much the case that everything and everybody needs a backstory....that's what makes it such a rich and deep universe, and that's what makes Canon lore so valuable in universe building. What happens here TLJ is the antithesis of that. 

pkray.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users