#61 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,538 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 17, 2015 - 05:54 PM

I can see what the young guys can do.
Clarkson is ready. But he has experience. This time last year , he was less ready than Nance.
Randle HAS to work on his jumper. He gets space and he doesn't just catch at the mid post and shoot enough.
That'll come with seasonS of practice.
Nance has shown some of what he can do.

All you are just so much smarter than Byron, I get it.

We still lack experienced talent. Role players don't close games.
Rookies don't either.

Kobe can't anymore.

We've lost games in the last 5 minutes for the most part.

#62 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted November 17, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Not much point in worrying about rookies (Randle to me counts as a rookie), I know Okafor, Towns, and Porzingis all seem better, but honestly all those teams seem to be in better situations than us. For us coaching is a mess, no identity, a very jumbled and thrown together cast of players that don't really complement each other (this is a big issue, and its on Mitch).

Russell in particularly wasn't going to be a flashy offensive hybrid PG, he is a more true PG that with good size to create mismatches and is viable offensively. But someone like him needs to be around better players and an actual system. Russell was never going to a savior or anything remotely close to that, he is just another piece of the puzzle.

#63 rossf

rossf

Rookie

• 226 posts
  • Fan Since:'50s
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 17, 2015 - 06:36 PM

The Lakers are at the bottom right now, and they don't have an established team and system in place that makes players look their best, but the Laker coaches have so much more pro-ball experience than anyone here that you just make yourselves look silly with all the bashing. The rookies ARE being taught how to play by people who know the game, have played the game, have won at the highest levels. But they are raw rookies and are not ready yet to succeed at the NBA level---which is miles away from playing in college. They have much to prove, so you'll just have to wait to see how far they can go. Other than that, carry on with the whining. ;)

• M.X.M. and BasketballIQ like this

#64 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,538 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 06:43 PM

I disagree with that Ven.
Russell and Clsrkson and Randle fit. Hibbert as well.
Kobe is on his way out but obviously he isn't an ideal choice at the 3 at this point in his career.

We're rebuilding just like Philly and while our rookies aren't dominating, we generally know we have 4 young assets and at least 2 are real CHIPS.
With Randle and Clarkson we have two real players to develop or trade in a package.
With Russell and Nance ,the same though both have more to prove

Philly is better long term?
Porzingis is the new All time great?

Come on.
Now Minny has Wiggins and Towns, so they will be set in 2-3 seasons.

But Scott is not here to stay.
Whatever you say about Lou and Nick, but as Nance develops that's a capable bench, with a solid backup 5 and pg.

Mitch is not trying to fool you. This is an obvious rebuild.
Hibbert is auditioning. 5 -6 guys are developing. Lou and Nick are here for the same amount of remaining years.
Bass is here for 1 season.

So Kobe retires. Hibbert is a FA. Clarkson is a FA.
Sacre, Bass, Kelly off the books.

Obviously you would love KD, but the kids aren't quite ready so you fill in the blanks with role players
We have enough for 2 maxes given who's out there but we'll likely go after supporting pieces
Lock in Clarkson. 2 Defensive 5. Solid 3-d guy. Back up pg.

#65 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,159 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 17, 2015 - 06:48 PM

I disagree with that Ven.
Russell and Clsrkson and Randle fit. Hibbert as well.
Kobe is on his way out but obviously he isn't an ideal choice at the 3 at this point in his career.
We're rebuilding just like Philly and while our rookies aren't dominating, we generally know we have 4 young assets and at least 2 are real CHIPS.
With Randle and Clarkson we have two real players to develop or trade in a package.
With Russell and Nance ,the same though both have more to prove
Philly is better long term?
Porzingis is the new All time great?
Come on.
Now Minny has Wiggins and Towns, so they will be set in 2-3 seasons.
But Scott is not here to stay.
Whatever you say about Lou and Nick, but as Nance develops that's a capable bench, with a solid backup 5 and pg.
Mitch is not trying to fool you. This is an obvious rebuild.
Hibbert is auditioning. 5 -6 guys are developing. Lou and Nick are here for the same amount of remaining years.
Bass is here for 1 season.
So Kobe retires. Hibbert is a FA. Clarkson is a FA.
Sacre, Bass, Kelly off the books.
Obviously you would love KD, but the kids aren't quite ready so you fill in the blanks with role players
We have enough for 2 maxes given who's out there but we'll likely go after supporting pieces
Lock in Clarkson. 2 Defensive 5. Solid 3-d guy. Back up pg.

at some point you have to try to improve. We have signed role players and been stagnant 3 years in a row

#66 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,538 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 07:07 PM

That's looking at things small picture.

Pau, Kobe, Nash- over the limit,no young players, bad record. Did get Randle out of it.

Boozer, Randle, Lin- under the cap finally, found Clarkson, was able to draft Russell. Got Nance from Lin deal.

Kids and farewell tour- still losing. But now you have 4 young pieces(+) and you've retained your flexibility at the RIGHT time.

In year 1 , we BROKE DOWN.
Year 2 was a TEAR DOWN.
Year 3 is a REBUILD.
Year 4 we examine if said pieces FIT.

Year 7 is where you are supposed to be close to contention. In this timeframe. Some teams exceed that, some never reach it.
Philly seems to be the latter.

#67 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,197 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 07:41 PM

Russell and Randle with one year NBA experience will look much different come next season. Most of the guys they are compared to have

either

- 2/3 years college experience

or

- handed the keys from Day 1

Neither Russell, nor Randle has this privelege. This was always the gamble with one and done players. You have to be patient with them. Even the transcendental talent Anthony Davis did not show lick of an offensive reportoire until his 3rd season. It takes time to develop a player. It is an investment.

This thread is in the records. We will come back here in March when Russell and Randle consistently get 30+ minutes and given more responsibility to shoulder (with or without Byron) Both players have at least the potential to produce like Clarkson did last year. But it is a process. Some get it early in their career (Rose), some break out later (Curry).

I'd rather Russell to be a Curry than Rose.

fXlFKv8.gif

#68 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,551 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 17, 2015 - 08:47 PM

I'm honestly not concerned at all.

The biggest knock on Randle was his lack of defense and inability to finish over length. He's solid defensively and gets his share of blocks and steals and on one-on-one he looks particularly good. Offensively he also looks fine with his ability to get to the rim, the line and his abilty to handle and pass.

Russell has had a slow start, but l think a lot has to do with Byron. Russell needs to run the offense a lot more. His shooting havent been great, but there is nothing that suggest that it wont improve. His rebounding is elite and so is passing ability / court awareness looks so too. Defensively hes been ok with good tools. I'd like to see him attack the rim a bit more, but we knew all along that he wasn't great at that.

• Ventiquattro and manaro90 like this

#69 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted November 18, 2015 - 12:11 AM

Aside from the addition of Hibbert; I think the odd mixture of Bass, Kelly, Lou and Young doesn't help. Plus bringing Huertas was going to affect Russell as well. I just think it shows in the fact that Byron can't come up decent rotations most of the time.

#70 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted November 18, 2015 - 11:18 AM

I'll bet you did not watch KD and Russell in their rookie year

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

#71 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,212 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 18, 2015 - 02:54 PM

Lol. My post wasn't directed at you.

15 "straight" years ? Good for you.

sorry bro!

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#72 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,536 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:06 PM

Bro :rock:

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#73 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,551 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 18, 2015 - 08:13 PM

I'll bet you did not watch KD and Russell in their rookie year

KD was special from day 1, but Westbrook's first month of his nba career actually is quite similar to D'Angelo's.

#74 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,538 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 10:14 PM

KD was special from day 1, but Westbrook's first month of his nba career actually is quite similar to D'Angelo's.

Or Clarkson moreso.
What about Billups, Nash, Stockton, Harden, Kobe, Wiggins, Curry.

#75 Nak

Nak

Tank Commander

• 4,040 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 19, 2015 - 06:26 AM

It is difficult to look like future stars when you're playing with an offense-killer, volume shooter like our 37-year-old, crippled and hobbled Kobe while being coached by the worst head coach of the entire league. 

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#76 rossf

rossf

Rookie

• 226 posts
  • Fan Since:'50s
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 19, 2015 - 11:03 AM

Doesn't appear to hurt Clarkson much. CP3 and Irving as rookies looked good under Scott and are apparently still appreciative of his coaching. Yes, this thread is another opportunity to whine about Kobe and Scott, but some people are watching Russell and Randle actually play. 

#77 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,538 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 04:54 PM

Doesn't appear to hurt Clarkson much. CP3 and Irving as rookies looked good under Scott and are apparently still appreciative of his coaching. Yes, this thread is another opportunity to whine about Kobe and Scott, but some people are watching Russell and Randle actually play.

Thank you for simply being rational.

#78 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,536 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 04:59 PM

Seriously, Kobe earned his current contract and I'd gladly understand if the Lakers give him the same amount after this.

• L4K likes this

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#79 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,159 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 19, 2015 - 05:03 PM

Seriously, Kobe earned his current contract and I'd gladly understand if the Lakers give him the same amount after this.

I agree. I'd even think of giving him another max contract. Dude has earned it. He is being patient as we rebuild. Gave us nearly two decades of his life. Pay the man!

#80 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,538 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 05:04 PM

No. Bring back Jeremy Lin!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)