#41 romlakers

romlakers

Rookie

• 1,010 posts
  • Name:Romain
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 17, 2015 - 01:51 PM

lol...when did I bash people who predict the future? Dude I was defending people that people bash for "predicting the future." Damn at least read the post before you decide to defend Russell at all cost!

Russell is visibly lazy on the court. Defend it all you want but that comes with a certain mentality. I'm not saying I know the guy personally and can't tell you what he is gonna eat for dinner tonite but as of right now it is pretty obvious that his head isn't completely in the game. And that is a mentality that you don't want from a rookie or any other player in the NBA.

BTW reading comprehension at its best...right back at you bro

I'm not saying he'll be great either. I'm just fed up to see people coming back to bash him game after game and completely forgot in which team he's playing and under which clown he has to play. Put Okafor here, Russell at Sixers i bet some bucks Russell will average strong stats while everyone would bash Okafor here. Why Okafor, Towns or Mudiay are playing better? Because their coach is giving them importance and putting systems for them. Byron "Man Up" Scott benches him all the time and designs the exact opposite plays to his strengths. Very clever.

#42 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,180 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:00 PM

You can tell the future? Please do tell if we get a top 3 pick this year.

It is impossible to tell what a player will be in this league after their rookie year, let alone 12 games. I have been vocal that I have not seen the things I want to see from Russell to be excited for him, but at the same time I understand the kid is 19 years old. He has a lot of time to grow and develop and get better. Have I seen flashes of amazing plays and jaw dropping skills? Nope. However, I have seen him do some things I like and I don't think you can say he won't be anything special after 12 games.

People seem to get upset if you make comparisons between Russell and other players that started off slow or not ideal, but the truth is history repeats itself. Curry was an afterthought to Evans his rookie year, but now you have people making statements Curry is as big an impact as Bron Bron. Curry ended up with solid numbers his rookie year but also averaged 36+ mins a game, and everyone knows for a rookie the most important thing is game time.

I am not calling Russell Curry by any means. However, one must look at everything and realize some things. Russell is 19 and will be 20 by years end. People's perceptions have been warped because players have come in at 18 or 19 and took the league by storm, but there have also been players that took some time to develop and come into their own. Curry came in at 21 and while he was always a knock down shooter he didn't become the beast we know him as until around 25. That is 4 solid years of development in the NBA on top of his 3 year college career. It took him a total of 7 seasons against the best competition to become the superstar he is now. Russell has 1.08 seasons of that under his belt, give him some time.

I want to see more from Russell no doubt but I understand he is young. Randle at times has shown great plays and some flashes of what you want to see from a top pf in the league, problem is dude is young and inconsistent. This is still only his 1st season in the league. Some players come out and ball from the start, others take time to develop. At the least those types of statements need to be put on the shelf for a year from now. We can discuss what we like and don't like from their game, but no way in hell can we predict at this point the end spot of their career.

I guess all i can right now is "let's wait and see" no need for me to voice out my opinion based on how good/bad he looks out there.

No reason for us to get too high and too low when it comes to his play. 😉 Lets just not talk about him right now and take down this thread right now.

#43 rossf

rossf

Rookie

• 213 posts
  • Fan Since:'50s
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Yeah, FWIW, D'Angelo looks kinda soft to me. Not enough fire. Or aggression. And he's not going to make it on sheer athleticism. I don't care about stats. But whatever anyone thinks at this point, things could be very different in a month or a year or two years... Nothing to do but watch his progression.

#44 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,401 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:04 PM

I'm not saying he'll be great either. I'm just fed up to see people coming back to bash him game after game and completely forgot in which team he's playing and under which clown he has to play. Put Okafor here, Russell at Sixers i bet some bucks Russell will average strong stats while everyone would bash Okafor here. Why Okafor, Towns or Mudiay are playing better? Because their coach is giving them importance and putting systems for them. Byron "Man Up" Scott benches him all the time and designs the exact opposite plays to his strengths. Very clever.

Russell play better on the sixers? What on earth would give you that idea?
I didn't come here and bash him after every game.

At first it was Kobe...Russell plays exactly the same without Kobe there. There is no proof or evidence that Russell would play better under a different coach. That is just an optimistic way of thinking. Okafor would play better if he was surrounded by three point shooters that play defense. Hypotheticals shouldn't be the basis of an argument.

I understand that a players stats will increase if the team builds an offense around that specific player...that's common sense. However, I don't see how that would change his terrible defense, lack of aggression, and extremely average jumpshot that he has shown thus far. He hasn't even shown off his passing or vision in the last couple of games. You also have to take into account that if he was our main guy, defenses would focus on him. So it's not necessarily true at all that he would play better as out main guy under a different coach.

I think some people want to give him the team just because he was be 2ND pick. From what I've seen, that would be a disaster. Byron may be doing the right thing. Maybe he sees something that we don't.

Either way, we're not winning [expletive] with Bass at C...I think we can all agree with that.

Edited by kidpolean, November 17, 2015 - 02:08 PM.

#45 rossf

rossf

Rookie

• 213 posts
  • Fan Since:'50s
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:04 PM

Randall just has a ton to learn. I don't see him dominating the league today.

#46 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,180 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:10 PM

i don't expect anyone at any job to be great right out the gate.. let alone such a stressful job such as starting.. let alone playing in the NBA. I give them three years. At 19.. i would not be able to handle such a professional job myself.. esp. putting in the mature work load off the court these guys need to do.. i never had the incentive of such a lucrative life either or the natural talent to do it.

This is probably the most sensible comment I've seen in this thread... I'm one of those guys who are too excited about his play right now but at the same time i do understand that he is young.

Right now, I don't know if i should be more patient or not coz i want to see something promising to say the least... If he can give me something to look forward to then I'm totally fine with him taking his time to develope but right now i just don't see anything.

#47 romlakers

romlakers

Rookie

• 1,010 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:11 PM

Russell play better on the sixers? What on earth would give you that idea?
I didn't come here and bash him after every game.

At first it was Kobe...Russell plays exactly the same without Kobe there. There is no proof or evidence that Russell would play better under a different coach. That is just an optimistic way of thinking. Okafor would play better if he was surrounded by three point shooters that play defense. Hypotheticals shouldn't be the basis of an argument.

I understand that a players stats will increase if the team builds an offense around that specific player...that's common sense. However, I don't see how that would change his terrible defense, lack of aggression, and extremely average jumpshot that he has shown thus far. He hasn't even shown off his passing or vision in the last couple of games. You also have to take into account that if he was our main guy, defenses would focus on him. So it's not necessarily true at all that he would play better as out main guy under a different coach.

Russell would score more if he had the same play time as Okafor and if he had for so long the ball, as Okafor has. We have a team built in the worst manier that you could have with far too many ball handlers, few shooters and no real inside threat ( Randle could be). No players can blossom in such a woeful team, coached by someone who is completely out of real basketball. So yeah i'm not gonna judge Russell or even Randle while we have everything wrong in this franchise. Nonetheless i agree on his lack of agression, he was far more active in college, he ought to be more agressive. 

#48 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,401 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:21 PM

Russell would score more if he had the same play time as Okafor and if he had for so long the ball, as Okafor has. We have a team built in the worst manier that you could have with far too many ball handlers, few shooters and no real inside threat ( Randle could be). No players can blossom in such a woeful team, coached by someone who is completely out of real basketball. So yeah i'm not gonna judge Russell or even Randle while we have everything wrong in this franchise. Nonetheless i agree on his lack of agression, he was far more active in college, he ought to be more agressive.

you can give any player in the NBA more touches and minutes and they would score more...the question is will that benefit the team and Russell's development. His averages would go up and his efficiency would go WAY down. He might put up numbers like Mudiay/Okafor that everybody on here keeps bashing. Because of his lack of aggressiveness, I still doubt he would outplay them. Personally I believe that he would simply look worse than he does now. He is being protected right now. The guy really doesn't have much to his game.

Edited by kidpolean, November 17, 2015 - 02:22 PM.

#49 romlakers

romlakers

Rookie

• 1,010 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:26 PM

you can give any player in the NBA more touches and minutes and they would score more...the question is will that benefit the team and Russell's development. His averages would go up and his efficiency would go WAY down. He might put up numbers like Mudiay/Okafor that everybody on here keeps bashing. Because of his lack of aggressiveness, I still doubt he would outplay them. Personally I believe that he would simply look worse than he does now. He is being protected right now. The guy really doesn't have much to his game.

I completely disagree, he proved in college and to scouts he was a top 3 pick. If i had to judge the players as you're doing i would say all the players in our team are at best average (Maybe Clarkson could start in some teams,though his defense is awful) and that everyone should be traded. But i also take in account all the parameters of the messy situation we are in. I will keep my judgement until there is a real team and a NBA coach for this team.

Edited by romlakers, November 17, 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#50 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,401 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:32 PM

I completely disagree, he proved in college and to scouts he was a top 3 pick. If i had to judge the players as you're doing i would say all the players in our team are at best average (Maybe Clarkson could start in some teams,though his defense is awful) and that everyone should be traded. But i also take in account all the parameters of the messy situation we are in. I will keep my judgement until there is a real team and a NBA coach for this team.

This isn't college. If Russell was super great at something we would have seen it by now. Not saying he can't develop and become great, but as of right now nothing he has done would make me believe he would play better controlling the offense.

#51 romlakers

romlakers

Rookie

• 1,010 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:54 PM

This isn't college. If Russell was super great at something we would have seen it by now. Not saying he can't develop and become great, but as of right now nothing he has done would make me believe he would play better controlling the offense.

I am not changing my stance, i'll wait before judging.

#52 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,180 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 02:59 PM

I think everyone will agree that when damian lillard came into the league, he didn't wait for anyone to tell him he could be as good as he is now... Its just plain and simple, it'll show if you are good or not. It doesn't matter if you're a rookie or a 3rd year player.

Lets look at clarkson, when given the opportunity. He took advantage of it no matter how he was picked in the lottery.
  • fido likes this

#53 romlakers

romlakers

Rookie

• 1,010 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 03:07 PM

I think everyone will agree that when damian lillard came into the league, he didn't wait for anyone to tell him he could be as good as he is now... Its just plain and simple, it'll show if you are good or not. It doesn't matter if you're a rookie or a 3rd year player.

Lets look at clarkson, when given the opportunity. He took advantage of it no matter how he was picked in the lottery.

Both were 22 while D'Angelo is 19, which is a huge difference. I wonder what you would have said about Clarkson and Lilliard when they were 19...

#54 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,668 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 17, 2015 - 03:54 PM

Both were 22 while D'Angelo is 19, which is a huge difference. I wonder what you would have said about Clarkson and Lilliard when they were 19...

They , like Russell were not physically ready.

#55 PuigNotLate

PuigNotLate

GIRAFFES

• 3,561 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted November 17, 2015 - 03:56 PM

Clarkson was a mess when he did get on the floor. He didn't improve until January.

Russ is in a tough spot. When he's playing well he gets pulled. When he's playing bad he gets pulled. Our starters get no rhythm playing together because they hardly play together. Our offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency numbers are both way better with Randle and Russ on the floor, which shows how calamitous the bench unit really has been.

Lou Williams serves no purpose on this team other than to hinder Clarkson and Russell's development if he is going to be used as a PG. And Brandon Bass is not a center and never has been. Russell, Randle, and Clarkson all need more minutes.

#56 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,668 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 17, 2015 - 04:14 PM

Randle just came off season ending SURGERIES.

Russell is not built for a world class schedule yet.
Mychal, you're a Dodger fan.
You should know that sports now are about protecting prospects for over exposure.

#57 M.X.M.

M.X.M.

@WeCarpeDiem

• 3,836 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted November 17, 2015 - 04:23 PM

Wow. give these rookies a break. 

if you like to inform us that their not all stars or then go ahead tell us in years. NOT into 11 games of the season?

come on manaro, youre exaggerated to much. calm down buddy. 

IG: @WeCarpeDiem 

Twitter: @WeCarpeDiem

#58 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,283 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted November 17, 2015 - 05:03 PM

This is probably the most sensible comment I've seen in this thread... I'm one of those guys who are too excited about his play right now but at the same time i do understand that he is young.

Right now, I don't know if i should be more patient or not coz i want to see something promising to say the least... If he can give me something to look forward to then I'm totally fine with him taking his time to develope but right now i just don't see anything.

like my comment, bruh. lol jk.  We all had hype going into this season thinking we were about to surprise people with a lottery pick and Randle coming back to action... well, we should have known better with our management issue and inexperience.

I'd say the best combo line up on this team anyone could arrange would make a great bench for a championship caliber team.. we are not assembled that well.  There are too many players that provide the same thing.. some at better levels than the other.. but we are lacking to much.

ap1.png

#59 PuigNotLate

PuigNotLate

GIRAFFES

• 3,561 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted November 17, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Randle just came off season ending SURGERIES.

Russell is not built for a world class schedule yet.
Mychal, you're a Dodger fan.
You should know that sports now are about protecting prospects for over exposure.

I understand your point, but I also disagree.

I think it makes sense to protect pitchers specifically in baseball, because we've seen what too much throwing has done to pitchers elbow ligaments. In that sense, I think the caution is warranted. I also would think it would be warranted if a player had a chronic injury in basketball.

I think Julius' leg was a freak accident, tbh. I think he can play 32 mins a game. I think it'd be different if he had chronic knee problems or something, then I could definitely agree with handling him with utmost care. I think Clarkson is the best player on our team and needs more minutes, and I like the way the lineup looks with Russell on the floor, and I like our offensive and defensive efficiency even though he doesn't have an NBA body and needs to bulk up.

Go Dodgers

#60 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,619 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 17, 2015 - 05:54 PM

Until we have a coach with half a wit, it is impossible to tell what the young guys can and cannot do.

Debbie Downer

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)