Posted February 02, 2019 - 04:15 PM

LeBron is out for tonight’s game due to “load management”

#5162 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,272 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 05, 2019 - 05:19 PM

Really happy for any player the Lakers drafted.  He didn't leave on a good note but I didn't have any personal beef with him either.

Glad he made the AllStar game, even as a reserve.  I hope this isn't where he peaks.  We saw this last year with Randle and if we had been competitive, Randle may have gotten in as a reserve.

Don't forget, though, this is a contract year for Russell.  I have never been a fan of judging a player based on their production in contract years...it's almost never representative of what they do once they get the big contracts...

#5163 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,243 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 08, 2019 - 10:25 PM

Contract year for Russell and he's playing on a loose team with nothing to play for.  I'm not impressed.

#5164 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,994 posts

Posted February 09, 2019 - 04:32 AM

Contract year for Russell and he's playing on a loose team with nothing to play for. I'm not impressed.

They’re the 6th seed.
  • Jackson, Majesty, Wilt Chamberneezy and 1 other like this

#5165 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,610 posts

Posted February 09, 2019 - 05:21 AM

Classic fido.

fXlFKv8.gif

#5166 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,629 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 09, 2019 - 06:46 AM

And who talks about a 22 year old in a contract year. Yeah maybe a guy who just comes out of nowhere but Russell has consistently been one of the more talented guys for his age
  • Majesty likes this

#5167 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 12,022 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted February 09, 2019 - 01:06 PM

They’re the 6th seed.

Despite one of their best players missing a few months.

• Majesty likes this

#5168 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Off The Bench

• 1,609 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 15, 2019 - 06:51 AM

“I can’t imagine what they’re trying to block out,” Russell says. Later, he adds: “If [the Lakers] didn’t let me go then, they were gonna let me go now, and I’d be going through what they’re going through. Best thing that happened in my career.”

https://sports.yahoo...-023630607.html

#5169 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• Banned
  • 322 posts
  • Fan Since:84
  • Fav. Laker:LeBron James aka King James

Posted February 15, 2019 - 08:31 AM

Russ is youngest player in NBA history to make 500 threes.  

He and Randle, both balling out.  

• Majesty likes this

#5170 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 12,022 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted February 15, 2019 - 01:13 PM

“I can’t imagine what they’re trying to block out,” Russell says. Later, he adds: “If [the Lakers] didn’t let me go then, they were gonna let me go now, and I’d be going through what they’re going through. Best thing that happened in my career.”

https://sports.yahoo...-023630607.html

Lakers are caught up in the middle of developing youth and delay winning, or acquire established players/stars and win now. Obviously the plan for every organization is to win. So by landing LeBron, the Lakers have to somehow transition out of a phase that consisted of building through the draft and developing players, to acquiring discussed established players/stars. The problem here is that they have not been able to surround LeBron with established players/stars and are causing a rift among the younger players.

#5171 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,398 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 19, 2019 - 10:02 PM

Impressed now?

Edited by Majesty, March 19, 2019 - 10:10 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#5172 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,971 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 19, 2019 - 10:08 PM

Impressed now?

Where the hell have you been?

#5173 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,398 posts

Posted March 19, 2019 - 10:19 PM

Where the hell have you been?

Watching everything I said and was afraid would happen, happen. 

And being a writer and an animator to take my mind off it. ^_^

• DanishLakerFan and dazz like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#5174 ArabicMamba

ArabicMamba

All-Star

• 5,758 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 19, 2019 - 10:23 PM

DLO will be a mvp someday in this league

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#5175 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,971 posts

Posted March 19, 2019 - 10:28 PM

Watching everything I said and was afraid would happen, happen. 

And being a writer and an animator to take my mind off it. ^_^

I know. Work does take away a big part of your spare time.

Well at lot sure didn't go well. I hated the D_LO trade but kinda understood the reasoning behind it. But letting Randle and BroLo walk for nothing was bad. And going after Rondo, Beas, Lance, McGee... i mean, it's the suicide squad.

Right now it's about getting a max player in free agency and then to make smart moves to build around that. If they pull that off, i think we're good.

#5176 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,398 posts

Posted March 19, 2019 - 11:05 PM

I know. Work does take away a big part of your spare time.

Well at lot sure didn't go well. I hated the D_LO trade but kinda understood the reasoning behind it. But letting Randle and BroLo walk for nothing was bad. And going after Rondo, Beas, Lance, McGee... i mean, it's the suicide squad.

Right now it's about getting a max player in free agency and then to make smart moves to build around that. If they pull that off, i think we're good.

No, even if this FO did that they would make a follow up move that screwed up the previous success.

It's been this current FO's MO.  1 step forward, 2 steps back.  

1 Step Forward: Drafting Lonzo Ball and creating a Lonzo/D'lo backcourt.
2 Steps Backwards: Trading D'lo for Lopez and then not retaining Lopez for a bargain the following off-season. 

Result: Mozgov was moved 2 more times for far less than the Lakers move him for just because a year ticked off his contract. Therefore "D'lo" didn't have to be traded to unload Mozgov's contract. On top of that the money they freed up was for a potential 2nd Max. Which means hey'd have had enough in the off-season to sign LeBron anyway as the money they freed up with all that has still yet to be used for a multi-year deal.

1 Step Forward: Brook Lopez gets comfortable in Luke's system to close the season, says he is willing to stay for a paycut, especially if they sign a big name. 
2 Steps Backwards: The Lakers sign LeBron, but then let Lopez go to Milwaukee for 3-4M a season and get McGee instead.  

1 Step Forward: Julius Randle finally comes into his own and seems to be getting better and better and is a heart and soul player that can put up 20/10/4 
2 Steps Backwards: Letting Randle go for nothing and not re-signing him, while assuming Beasley is going to duplicate what Randle gave you at small ball 5(I wish this wasn't true...)

1 Step Forward: Zubac starts coming into his own and is playing well at 21 years old and has a bright future ahead of him and taken the starting spot from McGee.
2 Steps Backwards: Trade him to the Clippers for Mike Muscala despite having Moritz Wagner on the roster and rewarding McGee for pouting because he lost his spot to Zubac instead of rewarding Zubac for his play.. 

At this point, it feels like whatever 'good move' the FO makes, it will be followed by another move that completely nullifies any of the positives the previous move may have done.  It's a pattern that seems to not be failing. 

I sadly wasn't exaggerating when I called this team the Los Angeles Knicks when I saw what the FO was becoming and the moves they were making. 

Edited by Majesty, March 19, 2019 - 11:08 PM.

• lonlyamongus likes this

#5177 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,876 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted March 19, 2019 - 11:23 PM

People keep missing the fact that these guys wouldn't have the same roles on this team and wouldn't have the same amount of success.

D'Lo and Randle aren't seeing 30+ shot attempts on the Lakers. D'Angelo has freedom to do whatever he wants on the Nets. He hasn't shown an ability to thrive without that freedom, and I question how he would play with another star player. And, all teams need multiple stars to compete for titles. Those guys aren't leading world beaters. The Nets are a .500 team in the east, and the Pelicans are bad.

D'Lo has still been inconsistent with his efficiency even with this freedom. He was really struggling this month before the last few games and has a few months where he barely shot over 40%. In the Kings game, he struggled until the 4th quarter. It's just another example of him needing all that freedom to find a rhythm.

He has gotten better. He actually did a good job attacking the rim. He took advantage of switches and got to the rim. I don't think he could've done that when he was a Laker. The Kings are a pretty terrible defensive team though and were sometimes mismatched just getting back on defense. I just don't see star-player-in-the-making yet.

Edited by Japago, March 19, 2019 - 11:31 PM.

#5178 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,971 posts

Posted March 20, 2019 - 12:07 AM

No, even if this FO did that they would make a follow up move that screwed up the previous success.

It's been this current FO's MO.  1 step forward, 2 steps back.  

1 Step Forward: Drafting Lonzo Ball and creating a Lonzo/D'lo backcourt.
2 Steps Backwards: Trading D'lo for Lopez and then not retaining Lopez for a bargain the following off-season. 

Result: Mozgov was moved 2 more times for far less than the Lakers move him for just because a year ticked off his contract. Therefore "D'lo" didn't have to be traded to unload Mozgov's contract. On top of that the money they freed up was for a potential 2nd Max. Which means hey'd have had enough in the off-season to sign LeBron anyway as the money they freed up with all that has still yet to be used for a multi-year deal.

1 Step Forward: Brook Lopez gets comfortable in Luke's system to close the season, says he is willing to stay for a paycut, especially if they sign a big name. 
2 Steps Backwards: The Lakers sign LeBron, but then let Lopez go to Milwaukee for 3-4M a season and get McGee instead.  

1 Step Forward: Julius Randle finally comes into his own and seems to be getting better and better and is a heart and soul player that can put up 20/10/4 
2 Steps Backwards: Letting Randle go for nothing and not re-signing him, while assuming Beasley is going to duplicate what Randle gave you at small ball 5(I wish this wasn't true...)

1 Step Forward: Zubac starts coming into his own and is playing well at 21 years old and has a bright future ahead of him and taken the starting spot from McGee.
2 Steps Backwards: Trade him to the Clippers for Mike Muscala despite having Moritz Wagner on the roster and rewarding McGee for pouting because he lost his spot to Zubac instead of rewarding Zubac for his play.. 

At this point, it feels like whatever 'good move' the FO makes, it will be followed by another move that completely nullifies any of the positives the previous move may have done.  It's a pattern that seems to not be failing. 

I sadly wasn't exaggerating when I called this team the Los Angeles Knicks when I saw what the FO was becoming and the moves they were making. 

Regardless, we still need to stick to the current plan, which is to chase a max level FA in the summer. People can be sceptic with regards to the Lakers’s ability to get that done, but i still have faith in Magic’s ability to sell the Lakers to someone, which is the only thing i think he can do.

Kawhi might prefer the Clips, but if he cant join forces with KD dont you think the Lakers suddently becomes more interesting.

How about Butler – maybe the Sixers aren’t too excited about maxing him out for 5 years and he’s the type of personality who would consider anything other than the max a low-ball offer, which could result in his departure.

Do you think the Hornets is a better destination for Kemba for the next 4 years?

Anyone joining the Lakers would be considered "the Savior" and the Lakers are still in position to make trades.

#5179 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,398 posts

Posted March 20, 2019 - 12:52 AM

Performances in the last four days:

D'Angelo Russell 44 pts 12 asts 4 stls

Julius Randle 45 pts 11 rebs 6 asts 3 blks 2 stls

Brook Lopez: 28 pts, 9 reb, 3 stl, 4 blk, 5 3pt vs the Lakers

The notion that Russell wouldn't thrive next to LeBron sounds like the people saying Kyrie wouldn't/couldn't ever work as a 1/1a option beside LeBron because the ball has to be in his hands all the time.

Know what Kyrie averaged the year before LeBron got to Cleveland? 

20.8 PPG
3.6 RPG
6.1 AST

1.5 SPG
43% Field Goal
36% Three Pointer

His team was 33-49 

Know what D'Angelo Russell is averaging now?
20.7 PPG

3.7 RPG
6.9 APG
1.2 SPG
43% Field Goal
36% Three Pointer

His team is 37-36 and in the playoffs based on the fact when they suffered injuries, D'lo put them on his back and took the Nets on a personal 20-5 run which got them into the playoffs in the first place, 

So this "he couldn't do this next to LeBron" rhetoric is as much a fallacy as anything else.

Edited by Majesty, March 20, 2019 - 01:03 AM.

#5180 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,876 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted March 20, 2019 - 01:44 AM

Performances in the last four days:

D'Angelo Russell 44 pts 12 asts 4 stls

Julius Randle 45 pts 11 rebs 6 asts 3 blks 2 stls

Brook Lopez: 28 pts, 9 reb, 3 stl, 4 blk, 5 3pt vs the Lakers

The notion that Russell wouldn't thrive next to LeBron sounds like the people saying Kyrie wouldn't/couldn't ever work as a 1/1a option beside LeBron because the ball has to be in his hands all the time.

Know what Kyrie averaged the year before LeBron got to Cleveland? 

20.8 PPG
3.6 RPG
6.1 AST

1.5 SPG
43% Field Goal
36% Three Pointer

His team was 33-49 

Know what D'Angelo Russell is averaging now?
20.7 PPG

3.7 RPG
6.9 APG
1.2 SPG
43% Field Goal
36% Three Pointer

His team is 37-36 and in the playoffs based on the fact when they suffered injuries, D'lo put them on his back and took the Nets on a personal 20-5 run which got them into the playoffs in the first place, 

So this "he couldn't do this next to LeBron" rhetoric is as much a fallacy as anything else.

You're conveniently leaving out Kyrie's first 2 seasons in which he was much more efficient than that. That was by far his worst season in terms of efficiency, while this season is D'Angelo's best season in efficiency by far.

This is what I'm talking about. Give praise to D'Angelo, he's gotten better as a player. He's been their best player, and he had a star-level January. But, lol at comparing him to Kyrie. Kyrie has always been a much more efficient scorer.

Funny how his topics across Laker forums always get more traffic when D'Angelo plays well, but are silent when he doesn't. Fans are very reactionary.

People really need to take a broad scope of his game, from the entire season and his entire career. He had little efficiency before this season, and it's still not that good this season.

And, people don't see the difference between getting to have a lot of freedom on offense and having a set amount of opportunities. At one point, I think D'Angelo was 7-19 in the Kings game. If he plays next to a star, he probably doesn't have the opportunity to work himself out of that slump. A lot of the games I tried to observe him involve him shooting himself out of slumps.

Edited by Japago, March 20, 2019 - 01:54 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users