Photo

Julius Randle & D'Angelo Russell

• Please log in to reply
5149 replies to this topic

#5101 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 09, 2017 - 03:19 PM

Sorry, but what exactly is there to see there vis a vis his jumper? 

He needs to be in the gym hitting hundreds of shots a day. Put him on a Gun or a Dr. Dish, or pay a trainer to rebound for him.

Somehow I doubt that there is any film of that. 

Sorry....is there anything at game speed? What kind of shooting form is that? It's pretty horrendous.

Ah so now you want to watch a player shooting those hundreds of practice jumpers a day at game speed...

Seems legit. 

Edited by Majesty, July 09, 2017 - 03:20 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#5102 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,764 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 09, 2017 - 03:43 PM

If you'd like an example for what I am asking for, there's video of Ingram doing shooting drills from all over the court. The form is textbook, the release is fluid, and the overall motion is sufficiently fast enough to be credibly effective in a game. When I see that, I have no worries about Ingram's shot.

I see nothing like that here with Randle. His form sucks, he has no rhythm to his shot, and the overall motion is robotically contrived at best. This will not work in a game.

Edited by kray28, July 09, 2017 - 03:48 PM.

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#5103 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 03:58 PM

Except there was problems with Ingram's shot, it was a catapult and there were form and release issues, and that was easily seen and why they decided he needed to change his jump shot form, it took till post all-star break that he had a consistent stroke from mid but it hadn't extended to the three point line. 

If you watched the workout and practice jumpers this off-season that Ingram was doing, with a new jumpshot he's been working on they were slower and set shots, as he was getting his form down correctly and getting it into a rhythm.

You then saw it translate during the summer league thus far not just in his new shot form but a more consistent looking free throw stroke, which would be a MAJOR improvement, particularly as I see him as the kind of guy that can draw 4-5 fouls a game against a defender. 

Edited by Majesty, July 09, 2017 - 03:59 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#5104 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 05:58 PM

Julius Randle working on his jumpshot feat. Snoop Dogg 

#5105 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,550 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 06:05 PM

Wish Pop would let us borrow Chip Engelland for the summer. I know they worked with BI and fixed his shot...is Randle getting that same attention? He needs it. I hope he's been working with an actual shooting coach all summer and getting legit reps in. His shot mechanics still definitely need some work.

#5106 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 06:33 PM

Wish Pop would let us borrow Chip Engelland for the summer. I know they worked with BI and fixed his shot...is Randle getting that same attention? He needs it. I hope he's been working with an actual shooting coach all summer and getting legit reps in. His shot mechanics still definitely need some work.

The guy with him in the vids is a real shooting coach, Andrew Olson. 

#5107 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,283 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 07:19 PM

I kinda agree with kray. The tempo of those shots matter in an actual game. He barely elevates on those jumpers. Not that I don't like him practicing shooting, I love it, but the in-game circumstances are a lot different than practicing a slow tempo uncontested jumper.

The practices should force him to get out of his comfort zone.

Edited by Tensai, July 09, 2017 - 07:21 PM.

• GCMD and Rekal like this

fXlFKv8.gif

#5108 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 10, 2017 - 06:05 PM

Our future is with Ball and we're worried about Randle's shot form???  Holy Crap!! where is Shawn Marion when you need him   :D

#5109 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,710 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 10, 2017 - 06:28 PM

Randle works on his jumper every offseason... It's getting old, for real -_-
  • GCMD likes this

#5110 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 08:46 PM

You're aware this is just the second off-season Randle has had to work on anything right? 

#5111 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,710 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 09:12 PM

You're aware this is just the second off-season Randle has had to work on anything right? 

So in the first offseason he did nothing? Oh, that explains a lot. You are aware that the injury came later, right? Look, I know that you want him to develop that mid and long range, of course you do, we all do. But do you honestly think that he will become that guy? Unless he shows that this season, in his contract year, I just don't see him in the Lakers future, not with the money he'll be asking for.

#5112 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 09:16 PM

So in the first offseason he did nothing? Oh, that explains a lot. You are aware that the injury came later, right? 

No, his first off-season from the NBA was spent recovering from injury.  Unless you're gonna sit there and count summer league to pre-season -_-   In which case, there's nothing really left to say to you. 

Edited by Majesty, July 10, 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#5113 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,710 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 09:32 PM

So in the first offseason he did nothing? Oh, that explains a lot. You are aware that the injury came later, right? 

No, his first off-season from the NBA was spent recovering from injury.  Unless you're gonna sit there and count summer league to pre-season -_-   In which case, there's nothing really left to say to you. 

So you won't be answering the question? Ok, just what I thought. We all want (and need) him to become this all around player, but you have to be really optimistic to even consider that it will actually happen. Don't get me wrong, I really want that, and those 15 or 20M will be moren than deserved, I just don't see it :unsure:
  • kray28 likes this

#5114 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 09:36 PM

Julius Randle working on his jumpshot 2 feat. William DeVaughn

Groove along peeps. #oldschool 

Edited by Majesty, July 10, 2017 - 10:01 PM.

• lakersince75 likes this

#5115 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 10:28 PM

4th offseason

2013 summer - after draft - had pin taken out of foot

2014 summer - after 1st season, he was injured, spent offseason recovering - could've worked on mechanics.  Injury to Fibula, not a load bearing bone and full 9 months from injury.

2015 summer - not injured, worked on J

2016 summer - not injured, worked on J

2017 summer - not injured, worked on J

Seriously?  He couldn't play full speed basketball but he COULD have worked on his mechanics.  He broke the Fibula, non-load bearing bone.  After 9 months, that thing is fine.  Even if he needed to increase his conditioning, that would not have affected him 1 on none shooting.

http://www.lakersnat...c/2014/06/05/9/

A testament to Kobe’s dedication to putting in the work every single day is a story from former teammate John Celestand back in 1999. Celestand prided himself in getting to practice first, but Kobe took that to another level via Viral Hoops:

“The first time I began to understand why he was the best was in the pre-season. In a game against the Wizards, Kobe broke the wrist on his shooting hand. He was always the first person to practice every day, arriving at least an hour and a half early. This would infuriate me because I wanted to be the first person to practice, just as I had always been at Villanova and Piscataway High in New Jersey. To add insult to injury, I lived only 10 minutes from the practice facility — while Kobe was at least 35 minutes away.

“I am ashamed to say that I was excited the day after his injury because I knew that there was no way that No. 8 (as former Laker point guard Tyronn Lue called him) would be the first to practice, if he would even be there at all.

“As I walked through the training room, I became stricken with fear when I heard a ball bouncing. No, no, it couldn’t be! Yes it could. Kobe was already in a full sweat with a cast on his right arm and dribbling and shooting with his left.”

Needless to say, Kobe missing practice or simply not participating due to a broken hand wasn’t going to happen. Kobe could get hit by a truck on the way to practice and show up in a wheelchair.

Dedication to another level.

tenor.gif

#5116 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,387 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted July 11, 2017 - 05:22 AM

Im hoping Randle has improved his game this summer, I want all Lakers to succeed, I will support all Lakers until I don't... 

• UKUGA likes this

#5117 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 1,135 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted July 11, 2017 - 06:08 AM

4th offseason

2013 summer - after draft - had pin taken out of foot
2014 summer - after 1st season, he was injured, spent offseason recovering - could've worked on mechanics. Injury to Fibula, not a load bearing bone and full 9 months from injury.
2015 summer - not injured, worked on J
2016 summer - not injured, worked on J
2017 summer - not injured, worked on J

Seriously? He couldn't play full speed basketball but he COULD have worked on his mechanics. He broke the Fibula, non-load bearing bone. After 9 months, that thing is fine. Even if he needed to increase his conditioning, that would not have affected him 1 on none shooting9/[/url]

I can see where someone would say two.

hurt
hurt
healthy
healthy
healthy (currently)

He's had two off seasons without complications and is currently in his third.

I mean, he can have 10 doesn't change the fact that he's still not where we want him. It's all on him to put in the necessary work. I hope he's come in strong.

#5118 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 06:12 AM

I can see where someone would say two.

hurt
hurt
healthy
healthy
healthy (currently)

He's had two off seasons without complications and is currently in his third.

I mean, he can have 10 doesn't change the fact that he's still not where we want him. It's all on him to put in the necessary work. I hope he's come in strong.

He said this is his second offseason to work on his mechanics...even if you ignore the draft offseason, the 2nd one did not prevent him from working on his shooting...that means he had 3 offseason BEFORE this offseason...

tenor.gif

#5119 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 11, 2017 - 08:21 AM

The hell with the jump shot. How about a layup with his right hand   :D

#5120 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,710 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 08:56 AM

Oh, I get it now, the game is to trash Lonzo because he was picked by this FO, and defend all previuos prospects. So... Randle is the next Draymond, and D'lo gone is the worst thing that ever happened in the history of the franchise. I was blind, now I can see B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users